Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

I appreciate a lot of you guys optimism saying “qb problem will be fixed this year or next” whenever we haven’t had one in basically 30 years (with the exemption of an rg3 rookie season and cousins before Bruce decided to let him walk for free).

i am not as optimistic. I’m more worried we get a mediocre qb like Jimmy g, or even worse, go for a complete let down like jameis Winston.

if we don’t land Watson, Wilson, or the top of the crop, then just draft one. Trading a bunch of picks for Jimmy g is just another rehashing of Alex smith 2.0

• Thumb down 1

Rodgers - Retires for a year to go meditate or something and then unretires in 23. Packers who will still have his rights; trade him.

Wilson -Stays in Seattle one more year. If they have a bad year again; he then asks to be traded in 23.

Watson - the situation will not be resolved this year. He may never play again; if he goes to jail.

Carr - Raiders see what they can do with him in 22. A good season; he gets another contract. A bad season; they move on.

Murray - He plays this year but if he doesn’t get a new contract; he probably plays baseball where he can make more money.

Edited by 88Comrade2000

9 hours ago, VirginiaVibes said:

I don't think the Raiders are interested in trading Carr at all. Every interview McDaniels has given has been about building around Derek and loving the fact that Carr wants to be a Raider for life.

Maybe so. McDaniels has the bigger issue of trying to compete with Mahomes every season. With Herbert also on the rise. Does he believe Carr is the QB to help him take over that division. I’m not so sure in reality.

More chance the Raiders try to get Wilson, or McDaniels decides to cash in on Carr’s escalating trade value now and then plug in Jimmy G + a rookie in either 2022/2023.

14 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

A Godfather offer for Jimmy G?

Yo Seattle. Trade us the QB or Dan Snyder's going to buy your daughter's boarding school and give it his personal attention. He'll run it like he runs all his businesses. We'll throw in a 7th rounder, too, just to make things look better for you.

• Haha 2

Given the reported cost, I think I could get behind a 2nd rounder for Mayfield. I think it would bring a new energy, more than one of this years rookies would bring. Perhaps a change of venue is all he needs as a QB, assuming of course the shoulder is back to 2020 strength. But then again, I'm a fan and not RR. My career doesn't hinge upon Baker becoming a top 12 QB again.

35 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Heini isn’t qb1 or qb2.  He’s qb3 or new resident of his sister’s couch. Actually Heini could buy his sister a new house or couch. He made enough last year.

I could see TH beginning the season as a QB2 if we get any vet from Wilson to Mariota and then drafted a guy distinctly not ready to start in September. That could be a number of the prospects but hopes would be they take over the backup as the season progresses. He is more like a QB 2.5

Edited by DWinzit

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Steelers advertise the Qb search with their GM hiring process, they clearly aren't messing around this off season as to the QB spot.  I get it, they are a winning organization, its not their thing to tread water with medicore QB play which they ironically got a dose of with Big Ben's later career struggles.

Hope RR and Co. (Mayhew, Hurney etc.) don't mess around either.  This is an important time with us getting a field general to lead this team with the talent we have on D, our OL etc. 

"The Russell Wilson and Aaron Rodgers dominoes. This offseason has potential for a lot of quarterback movement—but so much of it will likely be dictated by what happens at the highest level, and specifically whether Rodgers and Wilson get antsy again and try to join Deshaun Watson on the trade block. If Rodgers and Wilson stay put, and Watson settles the lawsuits against him, then the Texans will be positioned to get a lot for their 26-year-old franchise quarterback (we’ll have more on this Monday, but the way Lovie Smith is talking about Davis Mills tells me that Houston will be all ears on Watson from the jump this time around). If the other two try and escape Green Bay and Seattle, on the other hand, the landscape gets a little more complex. And the quarterbacks on the next level down, players like Jimmy Garoppolo could have their opportunities to start elsewhere affected by what happens with the elite as well. The reason why I’m raising this obvious question now? Look at the calendar. Last year, it was Feb. 9 when Wilson made his appearance on the Dan Patrick Show—and revealed that he thought Seattle had fielded trade calls on him. Nine days before that, the Rams and Lions had agreed to the Matthew Stafford trade. And in the week leading up to the Stafford trade, the Rodgers situation was ignited by Rodgers himself ruminating over an uncertain future after losing the NFC title game, then doubling down on the thought on the Pat McAfee Show two days later. Which is to say we’re already behind last year’s chaos, so pieces are likely to start moving soon (and maybe within the Super Bowl weekend news cycle)."

"While we’re there, it’s worth considering what might push a team to take a quarterback out of a shaky draft pool in April. Namely, money. If you take a hard look, a few teams that, on paper, could look for an upgrade at the position will likely be hard-pressed to do so this weekend, given their cap situation. The two best examples are the Vikings and Titans. Kirk Cousins has a $45 million cap number, and his base salary of $35 million for 2022 is fully guaranteed. Ditto for Ryan Tannehill, with a $38.6 million cap number, and fully guaranteed base of $29 million for next year. Carson Wentz’s logistics put the Colts in a similar spot, with a $28.29 million cap number, and $15 million of his $22 million base for 2022 fully guaranteed. And even Sam Darnold’s situation in Carolina merits watching—the team has his fully-guaranteed $18.858 million fifth-year option to contend with. In each of these cases, the quarterback’s outsized number, at the very least, gives the team a roadblock to work around if it wants to upgrade at quarterback, like the Rams and Niners did last year. Now, the Rams were in a similar situation with Jared Goff, and got the Lions to take his contract off their hands (paying a draft-pick tax to make that happen). Personally, I think it’ll be tough to get another team to do something similar with one of the aforementioned four. And that might have those four teams looking towards a draft class that’s been panned by just about every scout I’ve spoken to, since the options there would be far more financially feasible."

Edited by Andre The Giant
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

Right now I think I give cardinals anything they ask for for kyler. 3 firsts chase and sweat...add whatever else . Idc. He would be the best prospect in the sense of age and no baggage. Give the farm. Only one I wouldn't trade is mclaurin. 

Arizona isn't trading Murray, it's not going to happen. This is a fever dream. He's pulling stunts trying to get contract stuff done, that's all.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

At least we know what happened to ODU AGGIE.

Edited by mistertim
  • Haha 3

45 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Hope RR and Co. (Mayhew, Hurney etc.) don't mess around either.  This is an important time with us getting a field general to lead this team with the talent we have on D, our OL etc. 

The teams telegraphing code red at QB, their narrative the way I've encoded it judging by rumors.

A. Panthers:  Their owner Tepper has said you can't win without a QB, he's in that QB spot is the be all and end all school big time.  They swung and missed with Darnold.  Supposedly they are hot for Watson but Watson's legal issues right now look to be somewhat deep and might not resolve soon enough.   Supposedly they like Pickett and as a backup plan will take him at 6 which they think he will be available at.

B. Steelers:  we are a big boy team and deserve our big boy QB.  Living in QB wildnerness is for loser organizations (sadly teams like us), that's not a ride we are willing to take even for just a small spin, we are solving this now.     Supposedly want a mobile QB and are hot for Willis.  If Wilson or Rodgers hits the market wouldn't surprise me if they got aggressive.

C.  Denver.  they seem to think Rodgers is slated to go there if he'd put on the trade block.  They think they got a loaded roster and their window is closing to exploit it, even a player complained about that.  At least they aren't bleeding fans like we are so fans are putting up with it there.

D. Commanders:  Rivera is bascially screaming to the NFL, if you put your QB on the block we will be the highest bidder.  I was catching up watching Rivera's interviews this morning that he did from LA this week.  Between that and other interviews, I just get the vibe that they are beating themselves up about Stafford.  Personally I don't think think they would have gotten him no matter what.  But watching the Rams in the SB might add salt to the wounds.  And they have perhaps almost overlearned their lesson that they won't be outbid.   Their desperation screams off the screen.  I think the interesting scenario is while they seem to be willing to be the highest bidder, does anyone worthwhile hit the market?

I think the challenge they got is they got a fan base who is actually now if anything turned off by the play it medium solutions at QB -- the idea of go get that 2nd tier QB that their teams are ready to discard because they've upgraded.  McNabb, Smith, Brunell.  Some like to cite Alex was different but that was the season where it became really evident that they were bleeding fans.  He didn't move the needle with fans at all.  If they trade for Jimmy G or name that FA they are going to take a PR bath IMO from fans that might shock them.    It will add pressure for them to do something on the big side in the draft -- though is this the kind of draft to do something big -- it feels like no.

For me the absolute worse case scenario would be the Eagles or Giants landing that big time QB.  I can't think of anything that would rub salt in the wounds more than that.  So if i had to pick my #1 thing it would be that other teams in the division doesn't strike gold.  I don't think they'd easily overcome an Eagles or Giants team manned with a top 10 guy where we are back to our usual place in the football world as being one of the "have not" teams.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

For me the absolute worse case scenario would be the Eagles or Giants landing that big time QB. 

They both have the capital to make it work. Now imagine Eagles getting Watson and the Giants getting Russ. Were staring at 4th place in the division for the next 3-5 years at min. I think at that point you just tear everything down and start the Tank for Caleb Williams contest. You have no shot at being anything other than the 7th seed in the playoffs for the foreseeable future. 

19 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

They both have the capital to make it work. Now imagine Eagles getting Watson and the Giants getting Russ. Were staring at 4th place in the division for the next 3-5 years at min. I think at that point you just tear everything down and start the Tank for Caleb Williams contest. You have no shot at being anything other than the 7th seed in the playoffs for the foreseeable future. 

Yeah it would be a disaster.  If I had to pick two arguments last off season that I'd die on the sword for is no Sam Darnold and yes to Matt Satfford.

If I had to pick two this year it would be:

A.  I think those here that want to see Wilson in a Giants or Eagles uniform because it scares them more to see lets say the Giants with both Stingley and Garrett Wilson versus "just" Russell Wilson -- we are on different planets on that conversation.  I think that would be a PR meltdown scenario.  It would be like you chasing that elusive supermodel for years, thinking you have a chance, and then watch your arch enemy show up with that super model on their shoulder and flaunt it right in front of you.  It would be a PR nightmare beyond anything I can think of this off season.  Swinging and missing at a QB and a division rival landing a top 10 QB -- that's the #1 thing I don't want to see happen.

B.  It will bug me if they ride with a mid tier QB and they gloat about it.  Unlike you, I do like Rivera.  But I don't think he understands some of the angst he's inherited from this fan base based on the history here.  They are going to get zero buzz from Trubisky or Jimmy G or someone like that.  I think if they make that move they will be stunned by the blacklash.  And I get why they'd be stunned because in a vacuum its not the end of the world to upgrade the QB spot even if its not a big upgrade.  The problem with it is we've been through that movie so many times that we just don't buy anything cool comes from it.  If they do this though and draft a QB high, that's OK but I don't love the idea of sitting in the 2nd round and taking which is likely the 6th Qb in that draft.  I'll swallow it if they sell why, etc. 

For me personally, I like a lot the dude who you just posted about Corral.  That's my guy.  If they went with the draft that's who I'd want.  I'd be also ok with Willis, Howell, Pickett.  But Corral would get me the most jazzed.

I do think if they want to avoid bleeding fans and keep some interest in the team, they need to get lucky and land Wilson, I gather you don't like that.  Wilson to me would be a franchise saver for the moment.  

If I am picking a Tier 2 type, I'd go Mayfield if he hits the market, I've given up that Carr hits the market.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

D. Commanders:  Rivera is bascially screaming to the NFL, if you put your QB on the block we will be the highest bidder.  I was catching up watching Rivera's interviews this morning that he did from LA this week.  Between that and other interviews, I just get the vibe that they are beating themselves up about Stafford.  Personally I don't think think they would have gotten him no matter what.  But watching the Rams in the SB might add salt to the wounds.  And they have perhaps almost overlearned their lesson that they won't be outbid.   Their desperation screams off the screen.  I think the interesting scenario is while they seem to be willing to be the highest bidder, does anyone worthwhile hit the market?

I think the challenge they got is they got a fan base who is actually now if anything turned off by the play it medium solutions at QB -- the idea of go get that 2nd tier QB that their teams are ready to discard because they've upgraded.  McNabb, Smith, Brunell.  Some like to cite Alex was different but that was the season where it became really evident that they were bleeding fans.  He didn't move the needle with fans at all.  If they trade for Jimmy G or name that FA they are going to take a PR bath IMO from fans that might shock them.    It will add pressure for them to do something on the big side in the draft -- though is this the kind of draft to do something big -- it feels like no.

For me the absolute worse case scenario would be the Eagles or Giants landing that big time QB.  I can't think of anything that would rub salt in the wounds more than that.  So if i had to pick my #1 thing it would be that other teams in the division doesn't strike gold.  I don't think they'd easily overcome an Eagles or Giants team manned with a top 10 guy where we are back to our usual place in the football world as being one of the "have not" teams.

Good stuff, SIP.  Bolded is the part that stuck out most.  I believe they will be one of the highest bidders but will a notable QB want to come here and will a team trade with us as we will have to be the highest bidder.  We have to come away with a legit top QB this year.  I do think they draft a QB in the 1st.  I think if I remember correctly, RR in RE interview said they had everyone at the Senior Bowl so with QB being the most important position of need, I think we go high there IF we don't land a legit top QB in a trade.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think if they make that move they will be stunned by the backlash

I 100% agree. Feels like every staff that rolls through here doesnt understand the fan base. Which isnt surprising. As an organization they often feel completely disconnected from the fan base. 

19 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

I 100% agree. Feels like every staff that rolls through here doesnt understand the fan base. Which isnt surprising. As an organization they often feel completely disconnected from the fan base. 

In defense of all of those regimes, how can they feel what's it like to be in our shoes when they haven't been in our shoes? 

Also, this team is a tougher team to coach than just about any other team for a number of reasons.  They've inherited an incredibly cynical and impatient fanbase (and for good reason).  The worst stadium and facilities in the league.  The worst owner.  Constant off the field drama. 

For example, I was watching Ron trying to pump the brand during this last week in interviews in LA and was still hit by questions about the off field crap.

Ron inherited a team on the brink of collapse as for culture, off the field garbage, bleeding fans and just to make it all fun a name change in the mix.    He's dealt with it IMO with a lot of class and composure.  If we had an A-hole type or even just the typical bland personality as a HC right now -- this team would be a heck of a lot more unlikable than it even is now. 

29 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Good stuff, SIP.  Bolded is the part that stuck out most.  I believe they will be one of the highest bidders but will a notable QB want to come here and will a team trade with us as we will have to be the highest bidder.  We have to come away with a legit top QB this year.  I do think they draft a QB in the 1st.  I think if I remember correctly, RR in RE interview said they had everyone at the Senior Bowl so with QB being the most important position of need, I think we go high there IF we don't land a legit top QB in a trade.  

If I had to guess their worst case scenario plans its:

A.  mid tier veteran

B.  With Strong or Ridder in the 2nd

C. If that fails they will get aggressive in the 2023 draft.

But i get the impression that they don't think worst case scenario is in play.