Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

14 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I like Hurts. But its not like he is going to make the deal for Seattle IMO. 

Honestly, I don't think the Hurts thing matters all that much. At the end of the day if they wanted to the Eagles could literally give up 3 1st round picks in the same draft. Nobody can compete with that unless you already have an elite QB on your roster that you're trying to jettison for some reason.

And if for some reason all 3 teams: NYG, Eagles, Commanders, somehow made around the same offer (maybe the Eagles refuse to give up more than 1 of their 1sts this year, same with the Giants) then who do you think they'd take between Jones, Hurts, or Heinicke? Neither Jones nor Hurts are anything above average for the most part, but they're legit NFL starters. IMO Heinicke is not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Giddy4Gibson said:

Wilson is great but the ONLY thing that scares me is thinking about when we got McNabb, he was what, 34 when he came here, and clearly washed up. Do we think Wilson has at least 3-4 GREAT years left? If so, you sign/trade him if at all possible. But I just don't want to sign another QB towards the end of their career who's only going to decline each year...its why I'd much rather get Watson (assuming he's cleared) or by some miracle can we steal Murray if he's not happy in Arizona? ;)

That's what I'm afraid of as well, but from what I'm hearing Wilson is a LOT more serious about taking care of himself and staying in tip top shape. McNabb was never really a workout warrior kinda guy and got a bit chubby and was known for liking his fair share of beers. I don't think Wilson will physically drop off the way McNugget did.

Just now, mistertim said:

Honestly, I don't think the Hurts thing matters all that much. At the end of the day if they wanted to the Eagles could literally give up 3 1st round picks in the same draft. Nobody can compete with that unless you already have an elite QB on your roster that you're trying to jettison for some reason.

And if for some reason all 3 teams: NYG, Eagles, Commanders, somehow made around the same offer (maybe the Eagles refuse to give up more than 1 of their 1sts this year, same with the Giants) then who do you think they'd take between Jones, Hurts, or Heinicke? Neither Jones nor Hurts are anything above average for the most part, but they're legit NFL starters. IMO Heinicke is not.

I'd take Heinicke over Jones. Heinicke is mediocre but Jones is straight up awful. We don't know how bad he really is because for the most part he's always lit us up but he is straight garbage.

Hurts its debatable. He's younger and has more upside but his actual passing ability is trash tier.

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

That's what I'm afraid of as well, but from what I'm hearing Wilson is a LOT more serious about taking care of himself and staying in tip top shape. McNabb was never really a workout warrior kinda guy and got a bit chubby and was known for liking his fair share of beers. I don't think Wilson will physically drop off the way McNugget did.

I'd take Heinicke over Jones. Heinicke is mediocre but Jones is straight up awful. We don't know how bad he really is because for the most part he's always lit us up but he is straight garbage.

Hurts its debatable. He's younger and has more upside but his actual passing ability is trash tier.

Nobody is going to take a short, 29 year old, undersized journeyman QB that has never won a starting QB role in this league despite being with 4 different NFL teams over Daniel Jones (who is only 24 years old, 6'5 only been in the league 2 seasons and has a stronger arm). Come on.....

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I doubt it's very debatable to NFL teams. At the minimum at least Jones and Hurts have NFL arms. But they're also younger and have more potential upside.

To me Jones will likely never fix his turnover issues, but he's got the physical tools and he's been behind one of the worst lines in the NFL for years now. Hurts is basically an upgraded and more productive Heinicke. He has a better arm, he's younger, and unlike Heinicke he actually uses his legs and had 10 rushing TDs this season.

There's almost zero chance any NFL team would take Heinicke over Jones or Hurts at this point. 

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Heinike has no trade value whatsoever. If Seattle is playing hard ball they are going to want our defensive linemen. Plural. Plus 3 first rounders. Wilson is amazing. But for how much longer will he be? And is that amount of time worth blowing up 5 drafts? You give up Chase and Sweat or Chase and Allen plus 3 1sts and you are at 5 first rounders at that point. Way too rich for my blood. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Heinike has no trade value whatsoever. If Seattle is playing hard ball they are going to want our defensive linemen. Plural. Plus 3 first rounders. Wilson is amazing. But for how much longer will he be? And is that amount of time worth blowing up 5 drafts? You give up Chase and Sweat or Chase and Allen plus 3 1sts and you are at 5 first rounders at that point. Way too rich for my blood. 

Ya that would be insane. At most one DLineman, two 1st and a 4th. Anything more then that then go to plan B.

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

I doubt it's very debatable to NFL teams. At the minimum at least Jones and Hurts have NFL arms. But they're also younger and have more potential upside.

To me Jones will likely never fix his turnover issues, but he's got the physical tools and he's been behind one of the worst lines in the NFL for years now. Hurts is basically an upgraded and more productive Heinicke. He has a better arm, he's younger, and unlike Heinicke he actually uses his legs and had 10 rushing TDs this season.

There's almost zero chance any NFL team would take Heinicke over Jones or Hurts at this point. 

I kind of disagree that Jones and Hurts have NFL arms.  They've got better arms than Heinicke, I'm not contesting that, but they can't really make all the throws against certain coverages.

Like an out route against off coverage where the corner can crash it.

Jones is mostly a touch thrower.  The tight window throws are difficult for him.  It's why I don't think his TD numbers will ever be high.  As the red zone is mostly tight windows.

11 hours ago, DWinzit said:

If I were one of these top QB's Indy would be very intriguing to me.

If Reich wants to move from Wentz...that isn't a good sign for Wentz as he was his one believer in him. I know I am not. 

I think it's gonna happen...if the Colts find just one taker for Wentz then i think they move him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

I disagree....TH makes 1.5 mil and beat Brady, Wilson and Carr in succession this past season. He is an absolute bargain as a backup QB in an NFL world where there aren't enough QB's to fill the 64 jobs available. I actually think the Commies would be foolish to trade him for a pick as opposed to keeping him around. TH is a good soldier who can lead a team and buy you a few weeks if you need them. If I'm a playoff team, like Buffalo, who may lose Trubisky, I'd scoop up TH in a heartbeat to backup Allen at that miniscule salary. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

I kind of disagree that Jones and Hurts have NFL arms.  They've got better arms than Heinicke, I'm not contesting that, but they can't really make all the throws against certain coverages.

Like an out route against off coverage where the corner can crash it.

Jones is mostly a touch thrower.  The tight window throws are difficult for him.  It's why I don't think his TD numbers will ever be high.  As the red zone is mostly tight windows.

i watched the Chiefs/NYG Monday night game this year and Louis Riddick did a great job of pointing out just how unsure/bad Jones is at seeing open receivers and then making the accurate throw. I'll never forget the quote Riddick made, "Thats open in the NFL, you've got to make that throw". Jones saw the WR running a 15 yard in pattern and wouldn't throw the ball. I agree with you, he struggles in the tight windows...it's why he's such a great runner, won't make the risky pass. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

I disagree....TH makes 1.5 mil and beat Brady, Wilson and Carr in succession this past season. He is an absolute bargain as a backup QB in an NFL world where there aren't enough QB's to fill the 64 jobs available. I actually think the Commies would be foolish to trade him for a pick as opposed to keeping him around. TH is a good soldier who can lead a team and buy you a few weeks if you need them. If I'm a playoff team, like Buffalo, who may lose Trubisky, I'd scoop up TH in a heartbeat to backup Allen at that miniscule salary. 

Oh great, we're back to "Heinicke beat Brady".

But you at least acknowledge that he's only a backup now, so there's some progress being made.

I do agree with you about trading him though. I doubt we'd get any more than a 5th or 6th rounder for him, and his value as a good backup is much more than whatever special teams player we'd likely get with a 6th round pick.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Some of you people are delusional. Stop pretending that Heinicke is on the same level as any other starter in the league. Giants just brought in another coach to work around Jones and Hurts is definitely legit. Ron straight up laughed at the idea of Heinicke starting another game. He's the only QB on our roster and he's still not a lock to make the team and we're thee only team he has a shot to be on.

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Standig, good article some highlights

Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 8.23.27 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 8.24.52 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 8.25.14 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 8.26.06 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 8.26.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 8.27.08 AM.png

Personally if I my two choices are Trubisky or Garoppolo Im going Tubisky. Trubisky has upside that Jimmy doesnt. The coaching staff would be able to get more information about Trubisky compared to Jimmy as well. They are close with the FO and staff in Buffalo and we have two players on our roster who played with Trubisky in Chicago. So we should have more info on Trubisky than the average team. Plus Trubisky would not cost as much picks or money wise as hes a fa.

• Like 2

I'm surprised Standig didn't mention Baker Mayfield as a dark horse.  There's been some internet smoke about him possibly being on the move.

Just a hype article here...

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2022/02/09/3-landing-spots-baker-mayfield/amp/4/

Mayfield Landing Spot No. 1 – Washington Commanders

The Washington Commanders are the most intriguing option in my opinion. They haven’t had a stable quarterback since Kirk Cousins left after the 2017 season. Alex Smith, Case Keenum, and Taylor Heinicke have all got looks, but nothing has stuck.

Perhaps the biggest reason I see this as the number one potential landing spot for Mayfield, is the owner likes to make a splash. Dan Snyder has been under fire the last few seasons with investigations from the league, and he has been doing too much losing. A splash trade to get a guy like Baker Mayfield could get fans excited once again.

Remember, Washington has a fantastic defense, but they just haven’t been able to score enough points. In a division as weak as the NFC East, Mayfield may be the exact answer they are looking for.

Similar to the Texans scenario, this is only a solution if the Cleveland Browns think they have a better alternative. There is a lot of speculation that some big-name guys could be on the move, but truthfully, you never see that much trade activity in the NFL.

This from a Cleveland report -

Edited by HigSkin

2 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

I'm surprised Standig didn't mention Baker Mayfield as a dark horse.  There's been some internet smoke about him possibly being on the move.

@HigSkin I wouldn't mind Mayfield if we traded for him. He had a down year due to injury last year.  He's a warrior and a new team might be the best thing for him.  Most articles I have seen on him have him being traded to the VIkes for Cousins though.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RWJ said:

@HigSkin I wouldn't mind Mayfield if we traded for him. He had a down year due to injury last year.  He's a warrior and a new team might be the best thing for him.  Most articles I have seen on him have him being traded to the VIkes for Cousins though.  

That Cleveland reporter thinks that's out the window now that Kevin O'Connell is going to be hired and apparently really wants to work with Cousins again.

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2022/02/07/kevin-oconnell-reportedly-high-on-kirk-cousins-vikings-quarterback/

Kevin O’Connell loves the idea of Kirk Cousins being his quarterback when taking over the coaching reins for the Minnesota Vikings.

According to ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler, the soon-to-be hired head coach was “high” on Cousins throughout his interview process with the team.

Edited by HigSkin

6 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

That Cleveland reporter thinks that's out the window now that Kevin O'Connell is going to be hired and apparently really wants to work with Cousins again.

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2022/02/07/kevin-oconnell-reportedly-high-on-kirk-cousins-vikings-quarterback/

Kevin O’Connell loves the idea of Kirk Cousins being his quarterback when taking over the coaching reins for the Minnesota Vikings.

According to ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler, the soon-to-be hired head coach was “high” on Cousins throughout his interview process with the team.

Yes, it will be interesting to see if the Browns will take on Cousins's remaining salary and extended him and if there are no trade clauses that will have to be waived for either QB.

Edited by RWJ

22 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

His mentions I gather were based on NFL sources/personnel people and for whatever reason they didn't mention Baker.

On 980 this morning, Standig if I heard him right said he has a source that told him there could be a surprise QB on the market but didn't tell Ben who that guy is.

• Like 2