Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

41 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Watson has named teams he would be interested in trading to. Some of those teams have no interest at this point. He would need to change his thoughts, perhaps he could be persuaded to look to Washington. You never know, they could be the only team in the hunt by that time, landscapes change. 

To trade for a Carr or sign a Trubisky, Bridgewater, Mariota type would mean that's their future due to the expense...That is not the greatest plan unless you can get one at a decent price and plan to draft a guy fairly high

Even if Watson could somehow be persuaded to consider WFT I don't think Ron would go for him. Too much baggage. 

But I still don't think he'd need to change his mind. He'll have a handful of teams he'd be ok with and at least a couple of them would be interested.

4 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Or… they talked themselves into it because he’s cheap, showed growth, was putting up (roughly) middle of the road stats, got the team rallying around him, has dealt with a lot of adversity, and had a hand in beating the previous Super Bowl winner/getting us into position to make the playoffs.

With that said, you’re not wrong overall.  I do hesitate giving up big money (and significant picks) for a non elite qb

Sure, but even with all that, it’s always been blatantly obvious that he’s not a franchise QB no matter the cost.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome

3 hours ago, wit33 said:

Done with the safe plays that protect FOs and coaches from being great or terrible. They get rich while the fan base is forced to support mediocrity. Pass. 

I’d get it if the alternative is guaranteed to be so much better, but it’s not.  It seems more a personal thing, about not wanting QB’s considered less than elite making elite money.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Sure, but even with all that, it’s always been blatantly obvious that he’s not a franchise QB no matter the cost.

If that’s how you’ve “always” felt, you’re obviously entitled to your opinion.  Most people though, including many of the skeptics, said they weren’t ruling it out as recently as last week.  

I’m assuming you realize this, but I was addressing your point that suggested moxie being his only selling point.  Speaking of which, I’m curious why you put moxie in quotes?  Reads (to me anyway) like you don’t think it matters…

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Even if Watson could somehow be persuaded to consider WFT I don't think Ron would go for him. Too much baggage. 

But I still don't think he'd need to change his mind. He'll have a handful of teams he'd be ok with and at least a couple of them would be interested.

It was on a podcast if I recall it was Keim who said he heard Watson doesn’t have the WFT as one of the teams he wants to go to if traded.

The thing about Watson is us fans can focus on the PR fallout from our standpoint. But think about it from Watson’s standpoint. Would he want the extra attention and scrutiny he would get for playing for a team with their own baggage on this issue?

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

On 10/20/2021 at 4:46 PM, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

People don’t want to hear it but as I’ve said in other threads, we will never have a franchise QB. We are the worst organization in football when it comes to player development and no free agent QB who is already established is touching this place with a ten foot pole.

The Lions

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It was on a podcast if I recall it was Keim who said he heard Watson doesn’t have the WFT as one of the teams he wants to go to if traded.

The thing about Watson is us fans can focus on the PR fallout from our standpoint. But think about it from Watson’s standpoint. Would he want the extra attention and scrutiny he would get for playing for a team with their own baggage on this issue?

Regardless of what Watson has said, his options will be limited. There are a bunch of teams that do not need, want or have the draft capital for Watson, that included some of the teams he named as favorites. If he wants to play again he may need to be more open minded.

5 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Regardless of what Watson has said, his options will be limited. There are a bunch of teams that do not need, want or have the draft capital for Watson, that included some of the teams he named as favorites. If he wants to play again he may need to be more open minded.

The chance to get a 26 year old top 5 QB pretty much never happens. Someone will absolutely bite. He'll have a list of teams he's ok with and at least a couple of them will be willing to give up the draft picks. The only teams that wouldn't at least consider it are ones that already have top 5 QBs.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, mistertim said:

The chance to get a 26 year old top 5 QB pretty much never happens. Someone will absolutely bite. He'll have a list of teams he's ok with and at least a couple of them will be willing to give up the draft picks. The only teams that wouldn't at least consider it are ones that already have top 5 QBs.

And if cleared, WFT should absolutely place an offer. If he says no, then its no. 

2 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

We don’t have the drat pick capital to get Watson.

unless you are willing to give up 3 first 2 seconds and 2-3 players on our DLine.

That is what they will ask for

Have seen what some are willing to give up for Carr?

Whatever the team feels is worthy. We know what they were willing to give up for a 33 year old Stafford. 

5 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Have seen what some are willing to give up for Carr?

Whatever the team feels is worthy. We know what they were willing to give up for a 33 year old Stafford. 

No player is worth what Texas wants.

giving up 5-7 picks and high draft players limits what a team can do for years. So unless you have a team ready to win it all with its current t roster it’s not worth it. 

how many of these type of trades have a actually been successful?

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

I don't think he will be traded unless he clears his issue.  But yeah if he clears his issue, I think he will have plenty of suitors versus it being beggers can't be choosers.

In his shoes, this would be the last team I'd want to go to.  Even if he's cleared, I doubt it will be with 100% irrefutable evidence.  And coming here would make it tougher for him to overcome that reputation.  The idea that this is the team with sexual harassment cases would be wrapped up in the soup when talking about Watson.

In his shoes, the last thing I'd want is to go to the one and only team which has its own reputation on this issue and by extension keeps that narrative alive.   

The women for example who righfully blast the team about the culture/sexual harassment would have a field day if we threw D. Watson in that soup.  If I were Watson that would be the last thing I'd want as for more attention on the issue and to be thrown into the soup with all the WFT problems on it. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

No player is worth what Texas wants.

giving up 5-7 picks and high draft players limits what a team can do for years. So unless you have a team ready to win it all with its current t roster it’s not worth it. 

how many of these type of trades have a actually been successful?

Zero. Because it's never happened before. No elite QB in his mid 20s has ever been traded by a team, especially in the modern pass happy NFL era. This woul be a first. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not the best endorsement for Teddy, not that I was into him to begin with

All that talent on the offense and Bridgewater is worthless. I wonder if a younger, more modern thinking coach other than conservative Fangio would just roll with Lock and see what happens

Teams wont be in the same position next year as they were before the season started or even halfway through it.

I find it amazingly difficult to gauge a potential Watson personal "short list" since massive changes can occur as result of injury, performance, coaching changes, cap space and more. The desired locations one year can look entirely different the next. Teams that were on it can be removed and new teams added. W/ that no trade clause, all you can do is throw your hat in the ring.

We know he blocked Carolina, but maybe w/ certain off season moves they can be more appealing. He may like Mia, but if they choose to move forward w/ Tua they are not an option. A team he liked this year could have sucked and lost his favor. A team he didn't like may have flashed and gained it. Hard to say.

Bridgewater has cool stats though, look at that spectacular TD to INT ratio. Sarcasm. 

No way to Bridgewater! I’d accept a dude like him if he had wheels.

3 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’d get it if the alternative is guaranteed to be so much better, but it’s not.  It seems more a personal thing, about not wanting QB’s considered less than elite making elite money.  

I get the sentiment, but nothing personal, due to not being involved or having any control in the matter. Just an opinion. 

I don’t absolutely hate an average guy at 10% of the cap, but I strongly prefer that guy to also have running ability. For example, I was okay with Alex Smith at 10% of the cap, but a large part of it had to do with his impact on the run game for the team. I like a guy to have known good/great/elite variable(s) he provides to each game. 

Edited by wit33

3 hours ago, skinny21 said:

If that’s how you’ve “always” felt, you’re obviously entitled to your opinion.  Most people though, including many of the skeptics, said they weren’t ruling it out as recently as last week.  

I’m assuming you realize this, but I was addressing your point that suggested moxie being his only selling point.  Speaking of which, I’m curious why you put moxie in quotes?  Reads (to me anyway) like you don’t think it matters…

My statement wasn’t meant like I had Taylor totally pegged from the start.  He definitely surprised me in some spots for sure.  But at no point have I ever thought he had enough for us to consider bypassing making a big move via the draft or FA for a franchise QB.  Even during the win streak it was clear we were winning on the strength of running the ball down teams throats opening up gaping holes for Taylor to make enough completions.  To his credit he did just that, I’ve just never seen that as a sustainable way to win more than you lose.  

I think Taylor definitely plays with moxie, it’s just a word you only see used for physically limited dudes outplaying their scouting report.  Which again is a credit to him, not believing he is ever capable of being a franchise QB is not a diss.  He’s well outplayed what anyone ever expected of him and more than earned the money he’s made here.  No ill will, just never a believer.

That doesn’t mean I don’t believe he’s capable of riding a running game and defense in December til the wheels fall off. He’s capable, again I just don’t see that as sustainable year over year with a QB that can’t stretch the field.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome