Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randal 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Fromm battle for QB2 and so begins the Handsome Harem for Hartman

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, BayouBrave86 said:

SEC west title 😉 but…the Heisman,

Additional awards and honors won included the Walter Camp Award,[20] AP College Football Player of the Year,[21]SN Player of the Year,[22] Davey O'Brien Award,[23] Manning Award,[24] and the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award.[25] 

None of those are what anyone refers to by "winner" and you know it. 

23 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Maybe a step off of Usain Bolt straight line speed with the side to side twitchiness of a Floyd Mayweather Jr.

This is what some on this board actually think...

His jukes are gonna take too long to do in the NFL.  He'll make a guy miss, but then get plastered by the 2nd guy, so he's gonna need to just get down or out of bounds.

The good thing is he's got enough acceleration that by the time the defense knows he's taking off he's gotten 10 yards.  And that's more than enough to move the sticks in the NFL even without him needing to make guys miss.  Just take the 8 yards and the 1st down.  The big 40 yard runs will happen, but he shouldn't be looking for them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Winning games in college is not a translatable skill to the NFL. 

I wish more people would understand this concept.

Just now, DogofWar1 said:

His jukes are gonna take too long to do in the NFL.  He'll make a guy miss, but then get plastered by the 2nd guy, so he's gonna need to just get down or out of bounds.

The good thing is he's got enough acceleration that by the time the defense knows he's taking off he's gotten 10 yards.  And that's more than enough to move the sticks in the NFL even without him needing to make guys miss.  Just take the 8 yards and the 1st down.  The big 40 yard runs will happen, but he shouldn't be looking for them.

That just isnt in his nature. 

24 minutes ago, Ghost of said:

None of those are what anyone refers to by "winner" and you know it. 

Yet JJ is heralded by some on this board for being a winner and his competitive spirit. Which is it? I can’t keep up. :lol:

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, CommandB11 said:

That just isnt in his nature. 

I mean, it's gonna have to be.  I'm optimistic that the FO thinks he can change in that regard, it's a big thing that you'd clearly do due diligence on.  Daniels himself knows he needs to protect himself, he's said as much in interviews.  There will be a learning curve but it feels like something that should be doable.

This is the kind of thing where I think VR can help a lot.  The great thing about VR is you can simulate a full field of 21 other dudes running plays without needing to trot out 21 other people and run plays.  Just load it up on VR and he can get 100 plays of experience in an afternoon where before you'd need days and days.

I was defiantly hoping we would skip JD, however, he is now the face of the franchise (even if he sits for some time this upcoming season).  So it's time to welcome him in and hope he can stay healthy and elevate those around him to new levels.  I hope to see a resurgence from Terry and maybe we will finally see if Dotson can finally live up the the first round pick the team used on him.  

I just hope that the reported helicopter mom doesn't become a "source within the organization" that starts to throw the team under the bus when/if things get bumpy.

Who knows maybe we are due for some good luck after all the bad we have endured as fans.  Maybe, just maybe, we got an upgraded Lamar to run our offense.  Fingers crossed now lets just hope for a good rest of the draft and lets hope folks jell together and can pull some W's this coming year. 

26 minutes ago, BayouBrave86 said:

Yet JJ is heralded by some on this board for being a winner and his competitive spirit. Which is it? I can’t keep up. :lol:

Oddly enough, on a board with 100+ active members, it seems like not everyone holds the same opinion at the same time.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Cause we got really good value for the trade, and that was the highest Howell's value would be. If an asset is going to depreciate and isn't going to be used, then sell it.

But we replaced him with an asset of lower value......and you have no idea what Howells value would be in a future with actual coaches and an oline that functions.

I want to call out some mediots who we can categorically say were just completely off in this process based on how picks actually transpired (QB observations only):

1. Anyone who reported that the Giants, Patriots or Falcons "loved JJ McCarthy."
  2. Anyone who reported that "if he is still available at pick 5 there will be a mad dash to trade up to grab JJ McCarthy"
  3. Anyone who reported Penix's medical issues would push him out of the first round
  4. Anyone who reported Maye would fall a bit if Washington passed on him
  5. Anyone who reported that if Daniels was gone NE would trade down (possible that they just didn't get any suitable offers though)
  6. Anyone who reported that NYG would definitely select a QB

I definitely read all of the above from various sources during this process.

Media outlets who made GREAT calls:

1. The few who identified that 6 QBs might go in the first 13 picks. Great call.
  2. Anyone who identified ATL as looking at QBs. Did any expert call Penix.to the Falcons?
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Koolblue13 changed the title to The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randal 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariota and Fromm battle for QB2
3 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

But we replaced him with an asset of lower value......and you have no idea what Howells value would be in a future with actual coaches and an oline that functions.

Just to clarify your statement, are you saying Jayden Daniels is worse than Howell? Even after including 5 years of control vs 2?

That's a big statement.

36 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

Still don't get why we traded Howell if JD was the pick. Pretty stupid IMHO.

Simply because Peters felt an upgrade at the position was warranted and wanted to give Howell a chance to play with another team. He would have been benched for whomever we picked at 2.

Who knows about Kliff's offense at this point, I think there's some earned skepticism. But I do believe he can be a QB whisperer for JD and I'm banking on a good relationship between them. Pritchard, and who knows what happened last year but obviously he made a good enough impression to stay, and our pass game coordinator from the Eagles, these guys are going to earn their paychecks.

Other coaches who need to prove themselves? Bobby Johnson, o-line coach. Looks like he'll have his work cut out for him, given how the draft is falling. 

Edited by sinews

43 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

Still don't get why we traded Howell if JD was the pick. Pretty stupid IMHO.

It didn't matter whom we picked. You don't leave last year's Day 1 starter on the team as a benchwarmer. We don't need Sonny vs. Billy situation.

No one's going to be calling for Mariota if Jayden starts off with a few stumbles.

• Like 2

People still talking about Howell right now are sick. Get some perspective. Should be the furthest thing from your mind, appreciate the 3rd round pick we have instead and move on

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Completely agree with your main point - he needs to protect himself and not press too hard.  I’m not sure about his jukes taking too long though, unless I’m misunderstanding you - he doesn’t really throttle down much when juking (hence Peters using the term “slasher”).

Logan had an interesting point about him getting hit.  Not sure I fully understand/buy it (it’s tickling my few remaining brain cells though), but it was something along the lines of more mass, meaning more resistance, meaning more force absorbed 🤷‍♂️

(now that I wrote that, I feel like you posted some physics calculations a while back, so maybe you’re the one to talk to, lol)

11 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Just to clarify your statement, are you saying Jayden Daniels is worse than Howell? Even after including 5 years of control vs 2?

That's a big statement.

I assumed he was talking about Mariota…

9 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

Thanks for posting this! I thought it was interesting when he talked about turning in the card, said they would have run it up there, 'but you know, they always tell us to hold it for a while.' NFL just has to get all those commercials in lol.

Edited by Dah-Dee
  • Thumb up 1

The thing that struck me about all the professional commentary on Jayden is how much he learned and evolved as a true passer over the last couple years. I don't sense at all that he's an RG3 ego who thinks he's going to take the NFL by storm doing things "his way" and then spend all his spare time in the weight room.

Sure, he's going to have to continue to evolve all of his game, but he seems like the kind who will do just that. I'm excited to see where this goes.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sinews said:

So according to Keim, AP really liked JJ. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense, felt like an AP type player. Kind of made me a little nervous but to be honest, it was a unique situation for a first time GM and I do believe there was a deferral to coaching staff on the JD pick. Or they just had more of weighted input than they might have had with an established GM who had drafted a franchise QB before.

All good, I'm totally on the JD bandwagon now, just need to protect him. 

I listened to Keim both on the Junkies and a podcast today.

Definitely didn't come off to me even a little that he was a JJ guy who deferred to the coaches on JD.

lol, basically in a light way Keim called Peters out for being a liar.  He was told by someone in the know in January who worked there that boy does Peters love Daniels.

Keim mentioned that Harris mentioned Maye a couple of times earlier in the process but was going to let his decision makers make the call.

In both segements Keim mentioned how much Peters dug Daniels.

Yes as to Keim referenced before the draft he was under the impression that JJ was #2 for them not Maye.  And he also said he didn't think they'd trade back but Penix would have been play if so.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1