Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

32 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Paying a QB $50m in signing bonuses and commit to $150m would change the financial cash, escrow and long-term expense position significantly enough there would be a re-negotiating of the sale price.  

I don’t think it would in this instance. The magnitude of annual expense in the NFL is broadly governed by the CBA, with not only salary cap parameters, but also actual cash spend parameters. So they would be factored into future expenditure/liability profiles. You buy an NFL franchise knowing you have to spend ‘x’ on a 3 year rolling basis for example. Any robust operating plan will reflect that.

Now a new owner may have reservations over that type of financial commitment IF they don’t actually want the player in question at their organisation.

7 minutes ago, slinky said:

If Purdy goes on a run in the playoffs (which he should because of defense) he likely cements himself as QB1 in San Fran next year if he has not already.

I don’t think this is true at all. Jimmy G got to the NFC Championship Game last year and they still benched him in favor of Lance this year. They spent a crazy amount of draft capital on Lance, they’re not going to give up on him without giving him a real shot in favor of Mr. Irrelevant. They just won’t.

3 hours ago, tmandoug1 said:

I would like to see Carr, Howell, and Heinicke in the QB room next year.  Best two on the team and last one on the Psqaud.

I think @Skinsinparadisementioned this as well, but if we bring in Carr that basically means the Howell experiment is over, because Carr will be going somewhere on a huge new 5 year deal most likely. That doesn't necessarily mean we don't do it, just that it would need to be taken into account depending on how high they are on Howell.

Carr is definitely a good QB with flashes of great, but I'm not sure how much he's worth. If it's a tag and trade scenario where we'd have to give up two 1sts and a huge new contract, I'd say pass. He's not worth that much. If he's released and it's just the contract, it would depend on how much it is. He's a good QB but is he worth $50+ million per year? I'm skeptical, because my initial reaction is I don't think he's enough of a game changer to justify that amount of cap space.

I still think this is mostly academic anyway. Regardless of whether Carr is traded or straight up cut, he still gets to pick where he'll go due to his no trade clause. And I see almost no chance that a good QB chooses to come here with so much up in the air regarding ownership and, by extension, coaching.

I think Heinicke is pretty much as good as gone. The only thing he had going for him was familiarity with Turner's system, and that's out the window now. He doesn't bring much else to the table besides being well liked and I'm not sure that's enough to take up a roster spot, especially at such an important position.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Breer.  I'd still ride with Howell.  But I'll defend Carr from the barbs I see here now and then that he's Wentz Part 2.  He's better than that IMO.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/01/02/week-17-ten-takeaways-brock-purdy-derek-carr-jj-watt-mmqb?utm_source=reddit.com

So what’s next? My sense would be there’ll be a market for Carr. The Jets, Commanders and Panthers are three teams that should be looking, with teams that are ready to win now, and Carr would join Jimmy Garoppolo in a class of free-agent quarterbacks with experience and, almost certainly, an ability to come in and improve the position quickly. As for the Raiders, my sense would be they’ll give Carr’s camp permission to seek a trade ahead of the mid-February deadline, to see whether they can get anything for him. And if Carr isn’t inclined to help the team after all this (definitely possible), he could well sit on his hands, wield his no-trade clause and force them to cut him. After that, my understanding is the Raiders will look hard at the idea of bringing in Tom Brady or Jimmy Garoppolo, with their connections to Josh McDaniels and Dave Ziegler. Either way, for the Raiders and Carr, it’s over.

Standig highlighted today, Mayhew and Rivera mentioned the word "budget" in the press conference and stressed that's not a word you typically hear in press conferences like that.  Standig doubled down about what he hears about Dan's cash flow issues and that's in the past let alone now with a sale looming -- so in short he thinks there is a good chance they aren't spending big money right now on anyone. 

Great options for Carr, seek a trade and have your contract kick in to the new team, that you choose because of your no-trade clause, or get cut an become a free agent and still pick your own team while negotiating a new long term deal. We would have to kick the tires on where his head is and what it would cost to get him....

Carr has had 9 years to move up to great from good. He has got paid great money too.  He has one of the best WR's in the league, top RB, better TE than wash had this year, better OL, Were is the value? Ready to give up high draft picks ,40mil, add to cap? How is he going to fare behind Wash OL? His backup came in and played one of the best games for them all year at his spot.  He is not coming here on the cheap either. Why would you come to Wash. to cut your career short like the others.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

9 hours ago, lavar1156 said:

Not the worst idea. It would allow is to keep most if the roster intact. But if an opportunity arises to land a Rodgers or whoever then I think you have to pursue that as well.

I feel like Rodgers is on the steep downslope of his career as well.  Doesn't seem to have the fire anymore and the guy licks toads for psychedelic mind trips.  

GIF by Zack Kantor

3 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

Ready to give up high draft picks ,40mil, add to cap?

Offset Ll Cool J GIF by CBS

43 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

I feel like Rodgers is on the steep downslope of his career as well.  Doesn't seem to have the fire anymore and the guy licks toads for psychedelic mind trips.  

Yeah there's no doubting that Rodgers is one of the best to ever play. Probably the best pure NFL passer since Marino. But he's also 39 years old and while we look at Tom Brady as the model for how to elongate an NFL career, he's by far the aberration and not the norm. Most QBs are done by the time they're close to 40.

I also agree that Rodgers might not have that fire anymore. To be honest, I'm not positive he ever did. Not that he didn't care about football, but he always struck me as a guy who was basically an assassin type. Amazingly gifted, takes his job seriously, but doesn't necessarily love what he does. IMO that's one reason Brady has been able to keep going...he just loves playing and is psychotically competitive.

Rodgers is also a complete flake and jackass. At least with Brady you know he's going to give it his all for the whole season if he plays for you. With Rodgers he might get annoyed and retire in the middle of the season to go host Jeopardy.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

I would go with Howell but Ron is also realize that this is probably his last chance for a job in the NFL and one more losing season would end his career. he is going to try to make the playoffs at all costs not caring about the future of the franchise outside of next year.

Between the wizards and the redskins...i cant imagine a worse combination of front office

2 hours ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Grudens return is gaining traction. 🤣

A30z.gif

Id take Gruden lol....he was fine as an OC--miserable as a HC but he can get guys open and can produce with a QB like Cousins

• Thumb up 2

Purdy has looked good in the system the 49ers run, and on a championship caliber roster, but I am going to call him fool's gold until I see him in the post season and possibly super bowl.   Jimmy G went to the super bowl with this 49ers team a couple seasons ago and the 49ers were ready to get rid of him as soon as they felt a better option came along.  I still think Kyle Shanahan views Trey Lance as their QB1 of the future and probably is elated to have Purdy as either a long term QB2 or a high priced bargaining chip for a desperate team.  

I actually think our defense did a pretty decent job against Purdy, but Curl being out gave Kittle such an easy afternoon that Purdy was able to continually go to him over and over. 

Purdy's sample size is so small, and the situation he is in is so favorable that I could easily see a team taking a chance on him and having it blow up in their face. I'm not even saying Purdy won't turn into something special in 2-3 seasons I just think it is way too early to give up a significant amount of assets to get him.  Shanahan has to be loving their QB house right now.

Edited by NoCalMike

I have PTSD from Wentz, stay away from Carr. He’s a polished passer and seems like a great leader, but the blueprint is out now to be successful in the league and the Cousins esque quarterbacks don’t get it done. We heard all summer Mclaurin has the best QB he’s ever had with Wentz and he sucked butthole with him. Howell all mother****ing day son 

1 hour ago, max21 said:

but the blueprint is out now to be successful in the league and the Cousins esque quarterbacks don’t get it done. 

The Vikings?   It's time to push beyond the 13-4 nonsense and reach higher?

12 hours ago, skinsfan66 said:

Carr has had 9 years to move up to great from good. 

I am not pushing for Carr but for different reasons than some others are against it.  

Clearly we aren't tired of having just good QB play?  I'd kill for good. But agree that I wouldn't go nuts as to the money.  My logic though is I'd like to ride a rookie QB contract and see where it goes and have a backup who can play just in case.  The apprpach might bomb but I think it has a good fighting chance and the roster with some upgrades is likely strong enough to help elevate the QB.  Will see.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The power of mindset, intangibles.  I know some say its all Kyle.  Well, he's had his shalre of dudes drafted higher that haven't flourised so far like Beathard, Lance.

These young QBs aren't all built the same as to drive, work ethic, mindset. 

After reading that Athletic article, it looks like I have a team to root for this postseason.  What a fantastic write up about “Mr. Irrelevant”… I am totally pulling for this kid now.

29 minutes ago, max21 said:

I was mainly talking about Cousins 

Ok so that’s even more confusing. They are 13-4 but that’s in spite of Kirk?

Don’t want to turn this to a debate about Kirk but the idea of heck yeah you can win with a good albiet not great QB 

On another note, I’ve been listening to Paulsen and haven’t heard him say it this strong that I can recall but I know he thinks they should. Jay entertained both scenarios and mentioned Brissett and Dalton but he really really loves Carr 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

I'm in the camp of those that want to get Howell up to speed, back him up and build the team around him. Recent history has shown us how iffy it can be to try and bring in some established "name" to jump the line, our own recent history is littered with attempts to fix the QB position, I want to see a pragmatic plan to build the team up, not just pop in a piece here or there, and we cannot do that if we squander resources on _________ (fill in the blank) to magically skip steps in the process. A solid vet backup and another QB in the draft leaves us able to run every available Olineman through camp to address that glaring need. I'd much rather see that Ist rounder go for OL or LB than packaged for someone else's benefit because THIS time it's gonna work!

• Like 1