Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Just now, Redskins Reparations said:

Howell truly needs quality veteran competition to start next years camp. Preferably someone who has had success in the NFL and knows how to prepare week in and week out.

I know we’re all saying Brissett, but if the word is out that Sam is the presumptive starter, he may want to go somewhere he has a real chance to start.

We’re probably more likely to be signing a Dalton-type. Or, prepare yourselves, Taylor Heinicke. Someone who is good with being a backup.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Why are chances that he won’t pan out? Is that the case with rookie quarterbacks who were considered a potential top pick and then dropped to the fifth round usually? Or is this kind of unprecedented?

It reminds me a lot of the Kirk situation ironically. Mike Shanahan said after he had Kirk in the building for a week after the draft, he knew he'd be a good starter but he wouldn't have known until he was in the building.    But he'd have drafted him higher if he knew all about him then once he was in the building versus predraft.  But he had him rated much higher than where he was taken.

Using that same logic with Howell, they wanted to take him according to Keim earlier in the draft, they saw him as a 2nd rounder not a 5th rounder but didn't pull the trigger earlier because of Wentz but in the 5th that was too ridiculous to pass up.  Shanny said something similar at the time about Kirk.

Like Kirk, Howell reputation wise is a hard worker and is developing in practice.

Heck SF traded the farm for Trey Lance and took him early in the first.  In a short sample, he didn't look hot.  Purdy is taken in the 7th and some want to give no credit to Purdy and its supposedly all about Kyle and the roster.  It makes no sense.  If its all about that, wouldn't Lance have absolutely killed it?  And what happened to Beathard and Mullens then?

The draft status stuff means nothing once the player is in the building.  The fact that Jake Fromm and other 5th rounders didn't work out has no bearing on Howell's future.  Just like Kam Curl as a 7th rounder doesn't have a disclaimer to his name becuase Baccari Rambo was taken in the 6th and he didn't work out.   

Yeah its tougher for QBs, and I preach taking QBs high.  But the draft is also about exceptions and if there is a narrative that explains the exceptions it shouldn't be ignored IMO.

3 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

I know we’re all saying Brissett, but if the word is out that Sam is the presumptive starter, he may want to go somewhere he has a real chance to start.

We’re probably more likely to be signing a Dalton-type. Or, prepare yourselves, Taylor Heinicke. Someone who is good with being a backup.

I'd like Brissett but the veteran backup to me isn't do or die. I'd be fine with Dalton or whomever.  I am guessing Dalton is a possibiity because of Zampese.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It reminds me a lot of the Kirk situation ironically. Mike Shanahan said after he had Kirk in the building for a week after the draft, he knew he'd be a good starter but he wouldn't have known until he was in the building.    But he'd have drafted him higher if he knew all about him then once he was in the building versus predraft.  But he had him rated much higher than where he was taken.

Using that same logic with Howell, they wanted to take him according to Keim earlier in the draft, they saw him as a 2nd rounder not a 5th rounder but didn't pull the trigger earlier because of Wentz but in the 5th that was too ridiculous to pass up.  Shanny said something similar at the time about Kirk.

Like Kirk, Howell reputation wise is a hard worker and is developing in practice.

Heck SF traded the farm for Trey Lance and took him early in the first.  In a short sample, he didn't look hot.  Purdy is taken in the 7th and some want to give no credit to Purdy and its supposedly all about Kyle and the roster.  It makes no sense.  If its all about that, wouldn't Lance have absolutely killed it?  And what happened to Beathard and Mullens then?

The draft status stuff means nothing once the player is in the building.  The fact that Jake Fromm and other 5th rounders didn't work out has no bearing on Howell's future.  Just like Kam Curl as a 7th rounder doesn't have a disclaimer to his name becuase Baccari Rambo was taken in the 6th and he didn't work out.   

Yeah its tougher for QBs, and I preach taking QBs high.  But the draft is also about exceptions and if there is a narrative that explains the exceptions it shouldn't be ignored IMO.

Every QB who becomes a long-term starter is an exception. Even the #1 overalls.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Brissett played incredibly well this season and would probably push Howell to backup duties. Obviously, this is all dependent on who wins the job in camp. I am curious how Matt Ryan would fair?

Just now, Redskins Reparations said:

Brissett played incredibly well this season and would probably push Howell to backup duties. Obviously, this is all dependent on who wins the job in camp. I am curious how Matt Ryan would fair?

Would Matt Ryan want to be a backup or just retire and become a family man?

11 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Every QB who becomes a long-term starter is an exception. Even the #1 overalls.

Agree.  But I am just rolling with the logic that some have of draft position and responding using that same logic they are using, where I am saying yeah draft status statistically speaking increases the odds of success but outliers exist.   And when an outlier exists and you see variables that explain why that outlier might work out, don't ignore those variables.

I was reading Brendan Darr's tweet, a producer on 106.7, saying they are judging Howell just on one start, so it shows they are just winging it considering the small sample size.  IMO that's nonsense.  It's not JUST one start.  It's his college career.  It's how he practices.  It's how he studies.  It's what his teammates say about him. The data set is larger than just one start.

I am not saying Howell will be the next Mahomes on steroids like @KDawg and @Koolblue13 -- just kidding. 😀 But I do think he can be good.  I watched give or take 7 of his college games, a few times.  I like what I've read about him as far as intangibles.  I liked Corral a hair more but I started to sour on him as the draft got closer after hearing stories about his interviews, character and him bombing the Wonderlic.  Howell has no personality red flags that I am aware of, had a great Wonderlic score.  As Shanny-Gibbs-Arians among others have said about that spot -- intangibles are key for that spot.  Reading about Purdy, the dude seems to have really high intangibles.  It's part of the secret sauce.

10 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Would Matt Ryan want to be a backup or just retire and become a family man?

Apparently he wants to still play. 

• Thumb up 1

What else are they gonna tell prospective OCs?

You don't have the draft pick to dangle a prospect and you can't promise a specific FA or trade.

Every coach coming has to know running w/ Howell is a possibility, and the only one we can write in with ink as a possibility given our current roster.

It does not mean it stays that way but right now, you can not promise anything else.

23 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

No one is taking the job. They will probably promote Zampeze after they keep getting turned down. 

Facts.

When I saw them interviewing him, it all started to make sense...comments on wanting to stay run oriented, similar offense, now word they want to Howell to be QB1 and careful of bringing in another QB to actually compete for his job...

Any OC would be coming in to a situation where everything is already setup and jus asking them to call plays better then Scott did.  I don't see most good OCs that already have a name for themselves putting up with that, and ones that would want to make a name for themselves might get turned off by so much being decided before they even get there.

At this point I'm jus waiting for the news alert to make it official and confirmation Caldwell turning us down satisfies the Rooney Rule.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Shurmur?  Could maybe see him bringing Keenum back to town (as per SIP talking about their time together w/ the Vikes).

Shumur worked under Andy Reid for 10 years so I am guessing his system is friendly to players who played in that system.

Nick Foles had that crazy outlier season, 27 TDs-2 INTs with Shurmur and Case had his career year under him too.  But don't love either as backups.

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Wouldn’t hate that.

I'd rather have Dalton over Keenum.  But I think Dalton is a Zampese tie not Shurmur. 

Shurmur is from the Andy Reid tree, he coached with him forever so guessing someone with Reid ties might be in play.  That is if they are matching a QB to a coordinator and Shurmur ends up the guy. 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Shumur worked under Andy Reid for 10 years so I am guessing his system is friendly to players who played in that system.

Nick Foles had that crazy outlier season, 27 TDs-2 INTs with Shurmur and Case had his career year under him too.  But don't love either as backups.

I'd rather have Dalton over Keenum.  But I think Dalton is a Zampese tie not Shurmur. 

Shurmur is from the Andy Reid tree, he coached with him forever so guessing someone with Reid ties might be in play.  That is if they are matching a QB to a coordinator and Shurmur ends up the guy. 

Wouldn’t hate that, either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoCalSkins said:

No one is taking the job. They will probably promote Zampeze after they keep getting turned down. 

Who else has turned them down? Caldwell turned them down because he want's to be a head coach. I totally understand that. I think Washington has a lot of the parts to be an above average offense. They just need the right coach and play caller.

Edited by RVAskins

55 minutes ago, Redskins Reparations said:

I am not even sure if Ryan is available and I don’t want another Colt castoff now that I think about it. 

Matt Ryan is a pros pro. If he is willing to be the backup I think he would be a good veteran for Howell. This is the same guy that got drafted by ATL after the Vick fiasco. He seems classy. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Glad Howell is at least receiving recognition. Wish a little went his way a little before week 18

I am just crossing fingers there is not another trade for vet QB. There are plenty around that will look at competion with Howell as their best opportunity, even if only on a 1 or 2 deal 

9 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

Who else has turned them down? Caldwell turned them down because he want's to be a head coach. I totally understand that. I think Washington has a lot of the parts to be an above offense. They just need the right coach and play caller.

I think they will find someone. 

If you aren't working right now why wouldn't you take the job?  Heck if a new owner came in and fired me a month later even better, I get money for nothing.   As a national media guy said there are only 32 jobs, more people want jobs than there are available ones.  Heck if you come here and kill it maybe you become the next head coach.

I agree those with multiple options, everything being equal likely choose elsewhere but some will not have multiple options.

Keim said he was contacted by multiple agents with coordinators interested in then job to get his take. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

Who else has turned them down? Caldwell turned them down because he want's to be a head coach. I totally understand that. I think Washington has a lot of the parts to be an above offense. They just need the right coach and play caller.

The head coach is a lame duck.  No decent OC coming here. The ones that will take the job are trying to rehab a damaged reputation. No one else taking that risk. I would roll with Zampeze. 

• Thumb up 1