Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Just now, BayouBrave86 said:

This thread may just have to be the all time gameday thread as well once the season starts. So much action in here, I don’t want to leave. 

Yeah, no. 😉

And an ancient ES proverb from The Lost Pages of the Book of Jumbo: "Never confuse what you want with you being wanted." 👹

(I keed I keed)

(Or do I?)

(Of course I do 😛)

(But is this one of those times?)

😉😁💩🤡👽

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Forehead said:

I think you need to go read the linked thread/theory.  Work ethic has nothing to do with it.

So your theory is if a QB is good looking they are destined for failure? Tom Brady has done modelling for Christ's sake. 

The only reason I don't rule Maye all the way out is because before Keim was saying McCarthy pretty much wasn't a real option. That wasn't too long ago.

Until very recently when a source says JJ is pretty much the other option vs JD5. So was the initial JJ no shot the bait or is Maye is behind JJ on their board the bait? One has to be intentional it's a matter of which one is it imo. 

Edited by Blanka

54 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Washington is a terrible landing spot.

Ehhhh pre-FA I'd agree but we really solidified the interior OL and our skill position players are pretty okay.  Sure they aren't great but I'd mark them as pretty okay.  If we can get a RT in the draft or even an RT/LT and another RT later, plus a WR, and maybe a high upside TE, our offense will be chugging.

Now yes that would require some major sitting on defensive players in the draft.  We'd have to go like QB, RT/LT, WR, RT, TE with the first 5 picks, and couldn't touch defense until later.

But the offense would be pretty stacked if those picks hit.

3 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

Yeah, no. 😉

And an ancient ES proverb from The Lost Pages of the Book of Jumbo: "Never confuse what you want with you being wanted." 👹

(I keed I keed)

(Or do I?)

(Of course I do 😛)

(But is this one of those times?)

😉😁💩🤡👽

Gotta give an OG like me some credit. Been here for a long, long time. The Tailgate offered me so much wisdom and advice during my younger years. Some of the old regulars like sarge, you, bubba (rip), die hard, orangeskin, skinshokiefan, etc. 

• Thumb up 1

If Daniels is the pick you are going to see a lot more QB's stay in college. Especially since Purdy was successful. I dont understand the new NFL valuing experience over potential. It goes against everything you have ever thought was right about the draft. But here we are. 

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

So your theory is if a QB is good looking they are destined for failure? Tom Brady has done modelling for Christ's sake. 

That would be funny because there is a ton of evidence, even studies suggesting that part of the reason so many QB's looked like models into the 90's and aughts is their coaches subconciously would promote good looking kids over ugly all things being equal, people just naturally bias towards the attractive. you still get guys like Manning, w/the Keith Van Horne butter knife haircuts, and sometimes even flat out hideous dudes, but they were the heroic outliers. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Forehead said:

I think you need to go read the linked thread/theory.  Work ethic has nothing to do with it.

Per my wife:

JJ McCarthy = looks like a doofus, butt ugly like someone ran over his face with a bus

Drake Maye = looks like a toe, definitely ugly as sin

Jayden Daniels = cute, fun, would smash

Very scientific.

• Haha 9
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

If Daniels is the pick you are going to see a lot more QB's stay in college. Especially since Purdy was successful. I dont understand the new NFL valuing experience over potential. It goes against everything you have ever thought was right about the draft. But here we are. 

If we select Daniels the evaluation will have been has both experienced and potential. There is certainly a case he has the highest ceiling of all the QBs in this draft and certainly everyone after Williams - I’m not sure I agree but I can see the argument.

I see Daniels as a I guy with a high ceiling and a low floor. He’s not the safe pick because he’s got the most experience IMO.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Ehhhh pre-FA I'd agree but we really solidified the interior OL and our skill position players are pretty okay.  Sure they aren't great but I'd mark them as pretty okay.  If we can get a RT in the draft or even an RT/LT and another RT later, plus a WR, and maybe a high upside TE, our offense will be chugging.

Now yes that would require some major sitting on defensive players in the draft.  We'd have to go like QB, RT/LT, WR, RT, TE with the first 5 picks, and couldn't touch defense until later.

But the offense would be pretty stacked if those picks hit.

Terrible!!!!

Also did not read a word past the "Ehhh."

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Drake Maye:  dude you can use some McCarthy or even Daniels chill calmness.  You can get jittery in the pocket when you see pressure, hence I do think it effects your footwork especially when making throws on the first level and off platform.  And some say its why you aren't always hot with the game on the line.  You even talk with some nervousness.  Learn to calm down a little in everything you do.

If this is accurate, it moves Maye to third for me. I'm not sure you can teach/learn to be calm...not completely. Some people just have the clutch gene and don't get easily frazzled. If Maye doesn't have it, that's a pretty big red flag. 

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I see a lot of folks ready to jump off a cliff if they take Daniel’s, while I’m over here thinking if we take JJ at #2 it will kill all my hopes and dreams.

That’s such an impossible impossibility that I don’t even waste my time considering it.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I see a lot of folks ready to jump off a cliff if they take Daniel’s, while I’m over here thinking if we take JJ at #2 it will kill all my hopes and dreams.

Would be very happy with JD. Would not be very happy with JJ at all. 

• Like 1

Just now, MartinC said:

If we select Daniels the evaluation will have been has both experienced and potential. There is certainly a case he has the highest ceiling of all the QBs in this draft and certainly everyone after Williams - I’m not sure I agree but I can see the argument.

I see Daniels as a I guy with a high ceiling and a low floor. He’s not the safe pick because he’s got the most experience IMO.

My humble and homer take:

ceiling-slightly less running Lamar Jackson that can actually beat you with his arm and accuracy (takes the league by storm)

floor-Tyrod Taylor 

1 minute ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

That’s such an impossible impossibility that I don’t even waste my time considering it.

I pretty much feel the same way but SIP scares me when he mentions Standig or whoever saying JJ is higher in the board than Maye.

Here I am telling everyone to chill on the rumors, but that one bothers me.  🤣

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

My point was more that the extra experience will be what ended up making him the #2 pick in the draft. He was a 4th or 5th rounder last year at best. The extra year worked for him. So more QB's will go back to school to try to replicate it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Well, it would be Maye-Mariota --- because the that's the totality of what the Raiders would give up. We'd get #3 and #44 in that scenario.

It also would pencil out, but less favorably for us, if the Pats go #13, #44, 2025 1st and O'Connel, and then we get #77 and a 2025 2nd or 2026 1st to pick swap, but we would not be getting O'Connell either way.

OK so that was part of the same deal.  I thought that was a straight up #13 for...

So sticking to that deal how would the Raiders talk the Patriots into leaving the top 10 AND not even getting the next highest pick the Raiders have which is in the 2nd round? 

Maybe i am forgetting a trade but I can't imagine there is much precedent for trading out of a top 3 pick and go down 10 spots and still not even get that team's 2nd rounder?

Edited by Skinsinparadise

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I pretty much feel the same way but SIP scares me when he mentions Standig or whoever saying JJ is higher in the board than Maye.

Here I am telling everyone to chill on the rumors, but that one bothers me.  🤣

Not Standig.  But Keim among a few others.  

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

OK so that was part of the same deal.  I thought that was a straight up #13 for...

So how would the Raiders talk the Patriots of leaving the top 10 AND not even getting the next highest pick the Raiders have in the 2nd?  Maybe i am forgetting a trade but I can't imagine there is much precedent for trading out of a top 3 pick and go down 10 spots and still not even get that team's 2nd rounder?

Yeah, that's what makes any 3 way deal or any trade from 13-3 and then from 3-2 hard to figure out and unlikely to happen even if it makes sense. Just not enough there from the Raiders to make it happen.

I think it would take 13+44 + a pair of future 1's to get from 13 to 3. And then to get from 3 to 2, they'd have #77 and future 2's left to deal us, which won't be enough.

Brace yourself for resurgence of recently departed folks who will post as though they are far more JD enthusiasts than Commanders fans and some size of surge of newcomers doing the same.

Those who have been here awhile will know whereof I speak. 😄

It's interesting that for the longest time Maye was seen more as a "different but generally equal" prospect to JD but recently is apparently more thought of as  someone distinctly a step down and "not that close to JD" as a #2 pick, specifically.

I thought at first it was kinda weird we had such an influx of "highly enthused" (avoiding the negative term "fanboy" ) but none for Maye. But I soon figured it just reflected how much more fans followed the LSU program/games. 

Man. It's hard to wait for #2 to happen tonight, but then it's going to be really hard waiting for tomorrow and (who knows yet for sure how many) really important picks  in round 2 & 3.

😬

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1