Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

From the same interview that the tweet quotes.

Peeps just taking headline sensationalism and running with it to fit a narrative.

He was directly asked about QBs that could run, and responded in kind. And as you posted, he and the article itself even clarified that he was more than just a running guy.

I'd be remiss not to talk about Daniels' ability as a passer. While he's a prolific runner, Daniels is even better at throwing the football. At LSU, Daniels made every throw you can draw up while taking advantage of a deep receiving corps that included likely first-round picks Malik Nabers and Brian Thomas Jr. 

Total nothingburger in terms of things to worry about in that article, unless you scissor snippets out of context as some people have just to make it fit your point.

Speaking of snipping things out of context from that article, you guys wanna know what passage I liked?

Daniels acknowledged that NFL teams have told him they "want me to be smarter about the hits that I take." 

"They know I'm very competitive," Daniels said. "You want to think that you can beat that guy and get that extra five yards, or maybe if you beat him you go down the sideline for 60. 

"When to get down, when to not. There's a balance." 

YES. Yes to all of that.

yes-yas.gif.f9979f449269fa3d8877f837897b16f6.gif

Recognize and work on it my guy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

It’s Wednesday the in-house decision has been made.

The big boards for each team have been completed (with allowance for last minute tweeking) and the final countown is live.

Commanders Park is in the eye of the hurricane.

Adam Peters— steady at the helm assisted by his able first mate in this adventure, DQ.

Josh Harris, the wily owner of the vessel, within ear shot, tucked away in the Captains cabin, ready to move in an instant, if called, but for now content to let the men he hired weather the storm…

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

No doubt there are idiots in the league.  And like I see i think I am fairly liberal on the point by acceding that anyone on this tread might be as good as an evalautor as Adam Peters.  Think of that for a second.  Most of us extolled the Peters hire, thought we got one of the best evaluators in the league.  And yet am willing to accede that any of us might be just as good at him at his job.  I think i am going pretty too the extreme on the point. 

Deep down do i believe it?  Nope.  But I'll ride with it purely in the context of picking a QB is a crapshoot so why can't we do our own crap shoot pick?  Sure.  Look I watched a lot more than my teenager son of both Maye and Daniels.  But if he wants to say he can guess this just as good as me.  OK.  Sure from the same context of its a crap shoot than anyone can guess it right or wrong. 

But some posts are so defintiive that their process of the QB is the best or they are borderline absolutely sure that this is the right QB choice and that is the wrong one -- that for me it comes off much more arrogant than hey why isn't our crapshoot guess as good as Peters?  So I push back a little. Not that people can't have definitive takes. 

But I am with O'Sullivan who does the QB school who goes the more he does evaluations the more he discovers its harder and more random than he thought previously -- not easier, but harder.  I am in that same camp.  As you know the PFF guys live and die with their numbers but they made the exact same point which is they used to think they've found a formula to increase the odds but their numbers have failed them so they are more in the crap shoot school than they once were.

I would say one thing teams have for sure more than we do about these QBs and that is a more detailed breakdown about their personalities and what type of dudes they are. 

Sometimes its probably just tone. I'm still convinced a good chunk of the anti-Daniels contingent is like me:

There are just way too many pieces of his profile that mirror past busts, way, way, way too many, and way way way too much fixation on one season from his college career. It just reads as the NFL botching yet another QV eval for really simple reasons, and fixating on stupid, easily correctable issues with Maye, which do not connect at all to bust risk profiles, at least w/hits in the pass (maybe a bunch of historical busts busted in part because of mechanical flaws, and feet, but it's hard to argue that it's a defining negative trait when such a huge percentage of NFL hits at the position historically needed a lot of work on mechanics, and feet, or thrived w/o fixes)....

To me, anyway, it's not that I'm sure Maye will hit, I've been looking at these QB's since the Aundray Bruce going #1 overall draft, and I've watched this enough to get a sense for historically what is alarming in profiles, and what bothers me more, so I've transitioned from my last drafts of just trying to have favored guys ('21) into just looking for profiles w/fewer pockmarks that matter to me. Daniels feels to a lot of us like a guy who gives off that bust stench. Maye feels less so, and so it feels crazy that we're sort of pushing ahead, hell or highwater, regardless w/Daniels. It feels willfully stupid. Hopefully it isn't. I admit to having no clue how or why guys hit, I'm just alarmed when a guy ticks as many do not draft/high risk boxes as Daniels does, especially many of the ones I freak out the most about (overage, 5th year, throwing with anticipation piece, p2s ratio and just how many of those guys stunk etc). 

• Like 10

24 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Daniels can't flat out say he doesn't want to go somewhere because then that just looks bad. That's why "sources" keep bringing up his reluctance for Washington to draft him

So you're completely comfortable believing anonymous sources vs the open voluntary on the record statements of the actual person in question,  as long as those sources confirm your personal narrative, wishes, and  worldview.

--Sigh--

The draft can't get here soon enough.

At a certain point there's got to be fire with all this smoke. And, yes, I agree that the draft can't get here soon enough. 

• Thanks 1

I have no idea who we are drafting, though I think it will be Daniels. I am just hoping all the noise around Daniels causes us to skip him and we take Maye or McCarthy.  Whoever we take, surround him with talent to succeed and an oline to protect him.

I think because so many teams need a qb, there will be 6 qbs drafted in the first round. Teams might reach for Pennix and Nix, trade down a little and take them

later or trade back up in first round to get them.

What would be great if this class rivaled or surpassed the 1983.

40 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

And that's why I hope we do not draft him. I want a QB not a RB were not going to win anything that matters with this QB. this type QB.

I'm not a big Daniels fan but this is just disrespectful.

He IS a QB.

A QB who has the ability to run.. .

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Professor_Nutter_Butter said:

At a certain point there's got to be fire with all this smoke. And, yes, I agree that the draft can't get here soon enough. 

I get you, and I can see from your perspective why it would be reasonable to take that position.

I won't insult you by trying to change your pov.

My last word on this is that even if the “anonymous sources’ are actively colluding in a campaign whose goal is to force the Commanders to either pick someone else at 2 or trade tge pick to a team that will select Jayden— such a move is destined to fail.

Amongst all the smoke, funhouse mirrors, misdirections, and blatant disinformation, one thing is certain— THE COMMANDERS WILL SELECT THE PLAYER THEY LIKE THE BEST, WITHOUT REGARD TO THAT PLAYER’S WISHES.

Everything else is just a stone you sail at the sea. Big dramatic splash when it hits the ocean,  that you can’t help but notice in the moment, but then it inevitably sinks to the bottom, and is never heard from again.

A futile, totally impotent, poor checkers move in a game of chess against grand master level competition.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Panninho said:

Only good reasons I could see why one would do that is to conceal our draft strategy for the rest of our picks for as long as possible (not really much to conceal) and maybe to weed out some moles. But overall I think it is unlikely that we invest a lot of energy into this. So I guess most of these reports are based on real excitement around Daniels.

But I would also absolutely love it.

I don’t think it’s about investing energy, it’s about installing operational security forever more moving forward as an organization. The last regime was not just full of leaks, it was an open book. Setting the tone going forward and holding people in the building to that level of secrecy is not really any special allocation of time, energy, or resources—it’s just setting a new standard that people are expected to follow. It’s not about tricking anyone, just being hard for everyone to read always. 

And I’m not really talking about whether we take Daniels or not—lack of leaks was achieved either way and sets the bar going forward. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Adam Peters— steady at the helm assisted by his able first mate in this adventure, DQ.

Josh Harris, the wily owner of the vessel, within ear shot, tucked away in the Captains cabin, ready to move in an instant, if called, but for now content to let the men he hired weather the storm…

Stoppppp, you're scaring me!

The Untold Truth Of Gilligan's Island

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

LOVERRO

Why does anybody read or listen to Squeaky?

I will give him this, though:  he has 2 special traits:

1.  When he wants to evicorate somebody, he has a special talent for words that is remarkable.  He’s very good at it.  

2. He used to be a really good actual journalist and knows how to do research. Not so much anymore but it was at one point an outstanding investigative journalist. 

• Thumb up 1

35 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Sometimes its probably just tone. I'm still convinced a good chunk of the anti-Daniels contingent is like me:

There are just way too many pieces of his profile that mirror past busts, way, way, way too many, and way way way too much fixation on one season from his college career. It just reads as the NFL botching yet another QV eval for really simple reasons, and fixating on stupid, easily correctable issues with Maye, which do not connect at all to bust risk profiles, at least w/hits in the pass (maybe a bunch of historical busts busted in part because of mechanical flaws, and feet, but it's hard to argue that it's a defining negative trait when such a huge percentage of NFL hits at the position historically needed a lot of work on mechanics, and feet, or thrived w/o fixes)....

To me, anyway, it's not that I'm sure Maye will hit, I've been looking at these QB's since the Aundray Bruce going #1 overall draft, and I've watched this enough to get a sense for historically what is alarming in profiles, and what bothers me more, so I've transitioned from my last drafts of just trying to have favored guys ('21) into just looking for profiles w/fewer pockmarks that matter to me. Daniels feels to a lot of us like a guy who gives off that bust stench. Maye feels less so, and so it feels crazy that we're sort of pushing ahead, hell or highwater, regardless w/Daniels. It feels willfully stupid. Hopefully it isn't. I admit to having no clue how or why guys hit, I'm just alarmed when a guy ticks as many do not draft/high risk boxes as Daniels does, especially many of the ones I freak out the most about (overage, 5th year, throwing with anticipation piece, p2s ratio and just how many of those guys stunk etc). 

With Daniels specifically I think the context from a numbers standpoint is either you believe his last season is meaningful or an outlier.  There is context for his ascension in his last season.  They are in better spot than we are to dive into that context.  Doesn't mean they will get it right but the whole process much of it is diving into the context around the player.

People kill Daniels for his aggregate sack-pressure ratio but if you look at it last year alone it was pretty much the same as Maye's.   And I'd give Daniels more of an out on it because some of these from my eyes are runs that were stuffed in their tracks.  I heard on the radio but I haven't bothered to look it up that Daniels had the best or one of the best numbers as to avoiding loss of yards on sacks. In other words, they weren't sacks that happened mostly deep in the pocket.

Does Maye get an out for having 3-4 terrible games last year because his supporting cast?  For me, yes.  But that's opinon, not fact.  We got anayltics types like Warren Sharp retweet posts about how Maye is the type of Qbs who get coaches fired and putting him out of his top 10. The Football Outsiders guy doesn't think highly of Maye compared to Daniels.  So its not like all the numbers guy have one take.

Look I like Maye.  He's my guy.  But my point is he has red flags, too.  If this FO happens to be the deeper they dive into this that Maye's issues concerns them more?  Maybe they are right?  I get the idea that these guys fail and maybe more information hurts than helps to make a decision.  But my default position isn't they are wrong.  I get cynicism that they might be wrong.  But for me i am not just going to assume they are wrong.   I don't know either way.

But if you put a gun to my head and said would you rather have Peters

A.  spend a couple of afternoons studying the QBs on youtube. Then studying the anayltics.  And then turning in the pick. 

B.  Versus doing all of the above AND interviewing the dude a bunch of times, talk to his coaches and anyone who knows him, watch him throw in person, scout him in person during the season.

I'd rather them do B.  I found it funny and sad listening to Jay talk on Sheehan today about the draft process when he was there.  He suggested of the Gms - Bruce listened to him the least and made his decisions by doing research online.  Kind of like we are all doing here.  Don't get me wrong I love doing research online and can I beat a GM on some players even though they have a lot more info?  Sure, and I've done it.  But people tend to recall their hits more than their misses.   And if I were working for a FO I wouldn't endorse doing it the Bruce style.  I like these deeper dives even though they are imperfect.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Of course if the Pats offer us picks to swap and we can still get the guy we want we'd take it. But again, why would the Pats make that trade? They know there is no way we trade with anyone else anyway, they can happily call our bluff, sit at 3, and take who is left.

My impression is the team trading back usually wants to know who the team trading up is going for?  Maybe I have that wrong.  But if that is the case, to your point, if Washington says they’re interested, that likely tells NE we aren’t taking their guy and so they can afford to stay put.  Of course, things could get a bit more interesting if another team is in the mix (ie if we tell NE we’re in talks with the Vikings as well and they both want the same guy).

I love the idea of pulling off a trade - adding picks and still getting our guy - but it seems highly unlikely…

One scenario I could see (although doubtful) is Minnesota trading up to 5 ahead of time, then trying to get to 2 or 3 so that us or NE don’t have to drop as far.  The trading back team is still in front of the Giants and Arizona isn’t likely to trade out (though they might with the Giants at that point, lol).

Edited by skinny21

3 minutes ago, Conn said:

I don’t think it’s about investing energy, it’s about installing operational security forever more moving forward as an organization. The last regime was not just full of leaks, it was an open book. Setting the tone going forward and holding people in the building to that level of secrecy is not really any special allocation of time, energy, or resources—it’s just setting a new standard that people are expected to follow. It’s not about tricking anyone, just being hard for everyone to read always. 

Yeah. There's no advantage for us in leaking our picks either.  Last year the Texans were cagey about picking Stroud up until they were on the clock because they didn't want Carolina to know they liked Stroud over Young.  If we come right out and advertise we love Daniels or Maye, then maybe Chicago starts taking a second look at them.  And that's not something we want.  There is only downside in revealing your picks before you are on the lock.

• Like 3

You can spin a narrative any way you want it.

Read something the other day about scouts being turned off by Maye committing to Bama, then getting scared off by the competition and staying at UNC. Which this scout dinged him for.

Then I read another scout saying "loved that he never left UNC and was loyal."

It's all dumb.

But not as dumb as people picking a favorite and then looking at game tape with bias. You see that all the time too.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Footwork??

Dag gone you young kids are so openly kinky. lol

In my day that kinda talk was strictly reserved until after you had exchanged vows.

Now we exchange our bowels. It’s icky, but it shows you love the person more and are willing to put up with their ****. 

Edited by Fan since a Fetus
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, ST_DaGoat21 said:

And Daniels was also padding stats against Grambling, Georgia State, and Army.  

Daniels didn’t lose to UVA :lol: he was also busy lighting up Alabama, Florida, Missouri, Ole Miss, etc. He was shut down for one half essentially in the opener against FSU. 

13 minutes ago, Kalu44 said:

So ALL the speculation of drafting Daniels at #2 is 100% media driven. Lets see what Peters does, should be fun.

Yes, my friend @Kalu44, all of it is nothing but an organized campaign designed with a single purpose: to insure that The Commanders make a fatal blunder tomorrow.

One that will doom them to an eternity of humiliation and one that will see the rise of the dark Sith lord of chaos himself— Darth Mara!

The Republic is dead…

Long live the empire of Darth Mara!

I can’t wait for Thursday. 

Daniels, Maye, or JJ all have great traits and all have high level intangibles. Everyone of their coaches loves them and talks about them like they will be a HOF player. Any one of them could succeed (or fail) and I’m really excited to watch them develop.

Edited by seantaylor=god
  • Like 8