Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Archie has/had league wide clout and respectability. 

He was a dad looking out for his son. Yes, he was a former NFL player, but ultimately, he made a power move to force San Diego to trade the pick to the Giants. To this point, what has Caleb's dad done that is disrespectful? I thought all parents try and put their kids in the best situation. I'm surprised there are so many negative views directed at a local kid.  

12 minutes ago, mistertim said:

The only thing helicopter dads have shown themselves to be when it comes to NFL QBs is a problem. They're nothing but a distraction and nuisance. And they also tend to raise kids who are entitled brats.

Speculation. Why is forcing a team to draft not viewed as entitled? Archie played a key role in every step and decision those kids made.  

• Like 1

It sounds like his dad is probably going to **** and moan about money. **** and moan about playing time. **** and moan about the system not being right. And on and on. It's going to be nothing but a distraction, and probably won't end well.

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

This a rookie deal, so most of the parameters are set, and I see the difference in substance between what an agent talks about and what a parent may say. People do not like certain folks bucking the system, that's all.  

Just now, NOLA2DC said:

This a rookie deal, so most of the parameters are set, and I see the difference in substance between what an agent talks about and what a parent may say. People do not like certain folks bucking the system, that's all.  

He's already complaining publicly about the rookie pay scale. You really think it will end there?

4 minutes ago, mistertim said:

He's already complaining publicly about the rookie pay scale. You really think it will end there?

So what he talks.😂 Sounds like "shut up and dribble to me." He's not going to be able to change anything, and no serious team will entertain his commentary: they ayr not going to change the coaching staff or make business decisions based on his dad.  Outside of some major scandal or criminal case, he's going #1 to the Bears. It's not that complicated. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

And Peyton was already elevating the Manning brand. 

You were loud wrong about Bezos.

I think you’re going to be end up being loud wrong about this too. 

I’m not guaranteeing he’s coming here. I was encouraging the other guy! @Est.1974 since he’s so passionate about it! 😂 

I’m actually torn. I am a UCLA alum and huge Bruin fan and pretty much hate everything USC. I do hate watch nearly every USC game and Caleb can play. I have never been on board drafting any USC player. I didn’t mind Ricky Ervins with his speed at his size, but at no other point have I wanted us to get one their guys other than this year. I would send both 2s to move up 1 spot.

But I definitely think the going Eli route is 100% the plan for his camp. He won’t publicly say he doesn’t want Chicago, but his dad and camp will certainly let it be known. Magic is pretty connected to the USC program too and I guarantee you he has Caleb’s or Caleb’s dad’s ear. Seems like a splash they will make to me. 

I’m good with Maye as the consolation prize. I would rather stuck with Howell than go Daniels. Dude has bust with an injury riddled career written all over his toothpick physique.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, NOLA2DC said:

So what he talks.😂 Sounds like "shut up and dribble to me." He's not going to be able to change anything, and no serious team will entertain his commentary: they ayr not going to change the coaching staff or make business decisions based on his dad.  Outside of some major scandal or criminal case, he's going #1 to the Bears. It's not that complicated. 

No, it's "shut up and let your son learn to play in the NFL without causing needless distractions and controversies"

4 minutes ago, mistertim said:

No, it's "shut up and let your son learn to play in the NFL without causing needless distractions and controversies"

His methods made his son the first player to make over 10 million dollar in NIL deals. Plus his son is going first overall no matter what. The money is slotted so he feels he can say whatever he wants and be as controversial as he wants. If the team holding the first pick overall doesn’t want to deal with it they can trade it. Simple as that. The team has zero leverage to shut up his dad. Plus Caleb is probably saying what he actually wants to say but doing it through dad to maintain his own image. 

Caleb definitely reminds me of Lonzo Ball a little bit.

*I actually forgot his name for a moment, but googled "annoying basketball dad" and it came right up...

Eventually Lonzo was able to break from his pops and take a little bit of control away from the overbearing father, but LaVar Ball absolutely affected his sons NBA career in a negative way. Hopefully Caleb's dad doesnt take the same path, but hard to ignore the red flags.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Thanks bro!

But truthfully I love having something worthwhile to take up my time.

It's just usually I'm pretty decisive.

However, this is really (for me) a very tough choice.

I admire those of you who have made your decision and stick to it.

The rational part of my brain is leans towards the safer prospect, Drake Maye.

My intuition and my heart however yearns for the admitedly riskier choice, Jayden Daniels.

When Daniels is at his best there is a tangible thrill and excitement in his game that I actually feel while watching it. I've never felt that way watching Drake play. 

The severe downside is that if Jayden doesn't start protecting himself he will not survive a year in the NFL.

Therein lies the rub.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm probably the biggest Daniels fan on this site, but I'll be happy with Maye as well. I truly believe they are the best QBs in this draft. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Caleb didn't even get a shape up b4 the combine. He's 2 steps away from hobo in that pick with a smile as wide as a canyon. Dude truly gave zero Fs. (rightfully so, he's going #1)

Yep said this multiple times, Caleb clearly doesn’t give a **** about formal draft process and what’s expected in terms of compliance. He’s going to manipulate this situation to his personal advantage.

I’m fine with that because I believe it will benefit us for the next decade. 

Also don’t care about his over involved dad. That influence will diminish once Caleb gets into the league and established.

That said, onto the combine. Will be interesting to track all of the QB chatter over the coming days.

• Thanks 1

I wonder if having an assistant qb coach (David Blough) has any effect on the decision of whether to get a veteran qb to help mentor our new qb? The question came to mind mainly because I can’t recall having that position in the past, though I’m guessing we probably did, at least at some point…

Edited by skinny21

6 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I wonder if having an assistant qb coach (David Blough) has any effect on the decision of whether to get a veteran qb to help mentor our new qb? The question came to mind mainly because I can’t recall having that position in the past, though I’m guessing we probably did, at least at some point…

DQ mentioned they picked the staff so that theres a succession plan at every position. I’d imagine if Pritchard is poached, then Blough can move up. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

The rational part of my brain is leans towards the safer prospect, Drake Maye.

My intuition and my heart however yearns for the admitedly riskier choice, Jayden Daniels.

When Daniels is at his best there is a tangible thrill and excitement in his game that I actually feel while watching it. I've never felt that way watching Drake play. 

I wonder if the front office will actually allow this to factor into their decision.  One QB is electric and fun to watch while the other is a bit more stiff and boring. 

As a team looking to revitalize fanbase interest after years of putrid play at the QB position, I think it actually is a legitimate factor to consider when making the decision.  Man, I hope we take Daniels.  It would make the games on Sundays a lot more fun for Commanders fans to watch than if we took Maye.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

I’m not guaranteeing he’s coming here. I was encouraging the other guy! @Est.1974 since he’s so passionate about it! 😂 

I’m actually torn. I am a UCLA alum and huge Bruin fan and pretty much hate everything USC. I do hate watch nearly every USC game and Caleb can play. I have never been on board drafting any USC player. I didn’t mind Ricky Ervins with his speed at his size, but at no other point have I wanted us to get one their guys other than this year. I would send both 2s to move up 1 spot.

But I definitely think the going Eli route is 100% the plan for his camp. He won’t publicly say he doesn’t want Chicago, but his dad and camp will certainly let it be known. Magic is pretty connected to the USC program too and I guarantee you he has Caleb’s or Caleb’s dad’s ear. Seems like a splash they will make to me. 

I’m good with Maye as the consolation prize. I would rather stuck with Howell than go Daniels. Dude has bust with an injury riddled career written all over his toothpick physique.

I would not be at all shocked if there was an Eli route in play. Right now I don't see how Chicago can comfortably take Caleb anticipating him happily playing for them. I am okay with whichever QB Peters and company decides, just hoping all are fully on board with the player. At this point I think we end up with Maye. 

How do feel about EB working with your offense? Maybe a couple years there he can get something going. His methods may work better at the collegiate level. I just happy he is out of Washington.

Over the past 20 years or so I really liked USC's Pittman and Clay Matthews and hoped we could have drafted them. Never thought much about their various QB's

^^^Oh yeah, will draw debate over should he be in the room it's up to the GM and staff versus he paid up and deserves to be involved however he wishes

I kind of like that he is passionate and wants to be there but in reeks a little of Danny.

I hope he in no way tries to influence a decision.

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 1