Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

9 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I don't think they're anything alike (Justin Fields had a bad, elongated release, an awkward throwing motion that was almost like a wind up and bad footwork along with being a super slow processor) but to each their own. 

Don't really care about their mechanics.  Don't have a lot of time right now, but here are a few of the areas I see them as similar players:

• Toughness can never be questioned for either player
  • Two of the best runners at the QB position to come out in years
  • Push the ball downfield consistently, primarily with sideline throws
  • Absurdly low intermediate middle of the field throw rate for 1st round QBs
  • Below average feel for pressure in the pocket, leading to some of the highest pressure to sack rates among their peers
  • Eyes drop and look to take off (instead of looking to throw) much more often than not when scrambling
  • Thumb up 1

At this point all these interviews are people just regurgitating all the stuff they've already written or said on podcasts. 

I feel like only Tom Pelissero, Ian Rappaport and Todd McShay and Mike G are giving actual new info about the combine. 

• Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

JP Finlay was on Hoffman’s show and said before the combine he thought this team is likely taking Daniels but now after being at the combine he’s now totally unsure. He didn’t elaborate as to what he means by that 

I think he never really had an idea and still doesn't. To be fair, I don't think anyone does. This feel like the head coaching search all over again. Nobody really knows anything. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

21 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

The importance of age and weight 👀

I don't get it. It seems like random data points. In terms of the broad jump, of course, the most athletic guys will do well. Regarding age, it's like saying most people who attend college have an average age of 19. Also, his data seems limited to about 5 or six years. I'm not sure if he's serious.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NOLA2DC said:

I don't get it. It seems like random data points. In terms of the broad jump, of course, the most athletic guys will do well. Regarding age, it's like saying most people who attend college have an average age of 19. Also, his data seems limited to about 5 or six years. I'm not sure if he's serious.   

It's just another data point.  There's no end-all be-all when it comes to QB evaluation.  As a guy who works in finance, just thought the correlation metrics were interesting... especially given "age" is an important consideration given the current options at our #2 pick.

Here's more detail:

Quarterback 

qb1.png

When mapping each of the combine data points to a quarterback’s total EPA per season, we can see that broad jump is the combine measurement to watch while age, three cone, and weight influence a quarterback’s production as well. 

qb2.png

When it comes to broad jump, there is a positive correlation as some of the better quarterbacks in the league did well in broad jump like Justin Herbert and Jalen Hurts. There also does appear to be a cutoff at around 110 inches where no one under that has been a long-term productive starter since 2016. 

qb3.png

When it comes to draft position, age is a factor for teams as the median age for quarterbacks taken in the 1st round is 21.8 while the median age after the 1st round is 23.1. When it comes to combine events specifically, three cone and broad jump are understood by teams as being important while they place much less weight on shuttle and vertical jump.  

I hate this back and forth between "should we draft Maye or Daniels" that I've been going through since the season ended.

Yesterday, I had pretty much convinced myself that our best move at two was just to play it safe and take the big, tall, strong armed guy from Carolina.  

You know he'll work hard, study hard, be a good teamate and most of all-- he has the frame to take a pounding.

Let some other desperate team take a flyer on that rail thin, fleet footed, enigma who thinks he can bulldoze through players outweighing him by 100 pounds or more.

Good riddance, I thought. On with the show!

Then tonight, for some unholy reason, I go to my YouTubeTV library and decide to watch the LSU vs Florida game from last November and my jaw just drops to the floor...again.

So I turn it off and the first recommendation on my YouTube page is Chase Daniels doing some analysis on the video posted below...

Now I'm back on the damn fence.

The next two months are going to be pure hell.

The draft, when we get to actually select players who will wear the burgundy and gold (instead of just talking about them) can't get here fast enough.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

I hate this back and forth between "should we draft Maye or Daniels" that I've been going through since the season ended.

Yesterday, I had pretty much convinced myself that our best move at two was just to play it safe and take the big, tall, strong armed guy from Carolina.  

You know he'll work hard, study hard, be a good teamate and most of all-- he has the frame to take a pounding.

Let some other desperate team take a flyer on that rail thin, fleet footed, enigma who thinks he can bulldoze through players outweighing him by 100 pounds or more.

Good riddance, I thought. On with the show!

Then tonight, for some unholy reason, I go to my YouTubeTV library and decide to watch the LSU vs Florida game from last November and my jaw just drops to the floor...again.

So I turn it off and the first recommendation on my YouTube page is Chase Daniels doing some analysis on the video posted below...

Now I'm back on the damn fence.

The next two months are going to be pure hell.

The draft, when we get to actually select players who will wear the burgundy and gold (instead of just talking about them) can't get here fast enough.

Just relax man and let the process play out, stop studying tape that you're not getting paid to watch lol. At the end of the day we have sharp minds in the building who can figure this thing out!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

7 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

I’m game to be ridiculed for ever more. 

I am very surprised, after years of Snyder, how the fanbase have set low expectations on the new ownership. Everything points to us going all in on Williams. Why wouldn’t they, the guy is elite. Plus he’s different. Absolute ‘put us on the map’ QB in 2024. 

If he flames, so be it. You don’t just sit there and take Daniel Jones v2 through fear of failure.

Look at the staff assembled. Quinn called Caleb DC.

Until the Bears call time on it, I’m all in. Just like SoCal on Bezos :ols:

Caleb is coming here. 

Quotes from the article:

Who was talking? Caleb’s dad, Carl Williams.

Carl has questioned the NFL rookie wage scale, the draft declaration deadline, eligibility rules, medical testing and the ways players are paid. In a September interview with GQ, he expressed disdain for the entire draft process, where “the worst possible team, the worst organization in the league — because of their desire for parity — gets the first pick.”

Carl has planned out Caleb’s career since his son was 10 years old, pairing him with the best coaches in the business. And now he’s expected to surrender control and just let things happen? “He’s got two shots at the apple,” Carl told GQ. “If there’s not a good situation, the truth is, he can come back to school.”

NFL personnel want to know how Carl — and by, extension, Caleb — feels about the Bears, holders of the top pick in April’s NFL Draft. Chicago has never developed a franchise quarterback, the coaching staff enters the season with little job security, and the ownership group is financially limited and conservative compared to new-age NFL owners who made fortunes outside of football.

Could the Williamses have reservations about the Bears? Could they potentially make a play to get Caleb to their hometown of Washington D.C., where the Commanders hold the No. 2 pick and hired Kliff Kingsbury as offensive coordinator after he spent the 2023 season at USC with Caleb?

• Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

9 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

It's just another data point.  There's no end-all be-all when it comes to QB evaluation.  As a guy who works in finance, just thought the correlation metrics were interesting... especially given "age" is an important consideration given the current options at our #2 pick.

Here's more detail:

Quarterback 

qb1.png

When mapping each of the combine data points to a quarterback’s total EPA per season, we can see that broad jump is the combine measurement to watch while age, three cone, and weight influence a quarterback’s production as well. 

qb2.png

When it comes to broad jump, there is a positive correlation as some of the better quarterbacks in the league did well in broad jump like Justin Herbert and Jalen Hurts. There also does appear to be a cutoff at around 110 inches where no one under that has been a long-term productive starter since 2016. 

qb3.png

When it comes to draft position, age is a factor for teams as the median age for quarterbacks taken in the 1st round is 21.8 while the median age after the 1st round is 23.1. When it comes to combine events specifically, three cone and broad jump are understood by teams as being important while they place much less weight on shuttle and vertical jump.  

Got you. I also saw it as random, and I thought it was interesting that he used median instead of mean when it came to age. It points more to people usually leaving as soon as they're eligible than performance. I think both Manings stayed four years, and obviously, if you're a grad student, you're older. I personally don't think age is an issue for QBs as opposed to RB for example.   

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Oh great, just what everyone needs. Another helicopter dad

What's wrong with that? He put the work in with his son to get him to this point. Archie did the same with his son (Eli). The only difference is that they went the agent route. 

• Like 1

Just now, NOLA2DC said:

What's wrong with that? He put the work in with his son to get him to this point. Archie did the same with his son (Eli). The only difference is that they went the agent route. 

Archie has/had league wide clout and respectability. 

Just now, NOLA2DC said:

The only thing helicopter dads have shown themselves to be when it comes to NFL QBs is a problem. They're nothing but a distraction and nuisance. And they also tend to raise kids who are entitled brats.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Archie has/had league wide clout and respectability. 

And Peyton was already elevating the Manning brand. 

12 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Caleb is coming here. 

You were loud wrong about Bezos.

I think you’re going to be end up being loud wrong about this too. 

23 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Just relax man and let the process play out, stop studying tape that you're not getting paid to watch lol. At the end of the day we have sharp minds in the building who can figure this thing out!

Thanks bro!

But truthfully I love having something worthwhile to take up my time.

It's just usually I'm pretty decisive.

However, this is really (for me) a very tough choice.

I admire those of you who have made your decision and stick to it.

The rational part of my brain is leans towards the safer prospect, Drake Maye.

My intuition and my heart however yearns for the admitedly riskier choice, Jayden Daniels.

When Daniels is at his best there is a tangible thrill and excitement in his game that I actually feel while watching it. I've never felt that way watching Drake play. 

The severe downside is that if Jayden doesn't start protecting himself he will not survive a year in the NFL.

Therein lies the rub.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 2