Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

In a quarterback loaded draft class, with a Bears that already has at least a mid-tier starter quality QB on a rookie deal, Bears would be silly to not seriously explore trading down. 
They could probably land a 2nd and change, maybe late 1st for Fields. They could also move out of #1 and add a future 1st just for dropping one or two spots, and still draft a top QB.

Heck if they decided they liked Fields more than Maye/Daniels/McCarthy, they could trade down from 1 to 2, then again from 2 to wherever, getting the QB premium return for both trades. 

They're absolutely in the drivers seat and imo would have to REALLY love Williams a ton more than the rest of the class to take him. Which isn't to say they won't. But it can't be a close evaluation between QB1 and QB2 for them. 

• Thanks 2

Would you rather have

- A: Fields, Moore, MHJ 

- B: Williams, Moore, Mooney

It's pretty damn easy for me. A. That's before you include the added picks they get with A since they can easily trade down and still get MHJ. Not saying we should absolutely give up their price to move up to #1 for Caleb, but I am open to listening to the price. This notion that it's a done deal, no way Bears don't take Caleb is not certain at all IMO

Edited by WashingtonRedWolves
  • Thumb up 1

So, we are meeting with Daniels today per Fowler on Twitter but have yet to meet with Maye.  I think we meet with Maybe and it happens today too.  I checked Google to see if we have met with Maye yet and unless I overlooked it, we have yet to meet with him.  

6 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I think CHI have the chance to screw them over, especially if they are all in on Fields. Will see.

The number of things that'd have to go right for Chicago would be astounding.

Firstly, let's look at Fields.  I like Fields, but outside of his legs he's mid.  Under 200 yards per game, 60% comp, 1.2ish TDs per game, .8ish INTs per game, 6.7 Y/A.

His passing ability is borderline backup.

Now sure, add in his legs and he's much much bigger of a threat.  Starter talent once legs are factored.

But there's a reason he's on the block in the first place.  And the opportunity cost of the #8 pick is HUGE.

At least 2 of Odunze, Nabers, Alt, Fashanu, and Bowers are gonna be there, as will JJ probably.  All those non QBs are certified top 10 guys.  Likely instant starters, possibly at a high level.  So ATL is giving that up along with the chance for a more "normal" passer via JJ.

And anything less than a 2024 2nd/next 1st back ain't worth much imo for ATL.  '25 2nd maybe but even then, the players at 8 are SO GOOD and to get back a coinflip somewhere between 33 and 64 next year is a tough pill to swallow.  A 2025 3rd is basically a half eaten club sandwich, not worthless but almost.

Then you need the market to actually be hot enough to warrant the 8.

Who is giving up anything even remotely near that for Fields?  Like you'd need the Broncos or Raiders to offer 12 or 13 for a 8 to even enter the discussion, and there's nothing indicating anyone has offered any firsts for the guy.  And given his production why would you?

Fields' market is probably a 2nd and change, and if CHI wants more, you demand to see the written offers where someone is offering that.  Because odds are it's a bluff.

40 minutes ago, Professor_Nutter_Butter said:

I'm calling it now. Putting my reputation as a professor on the line. McCarthy will be better than Williams. I said it.

JJ will be the best out of the entire class. He has been groomed by a Harbaugh.

• Haha 3

Craig Hoffman who is team Daniels but like Sheehan I'll give him he stays objective when others don't agree with him on it.

He was on Sheehan.  Sheehan asked him what is Hoffman hearing talking to people at the combine.  Hoffman said...

A. About 80% prefer Maye and 20% Daniels among the people he spoke to there.

B.  The reasons why for the Maye perferences mostly center on he can make all the throws, every type, and his upside is greater and at 21 he has more runway in front of him to improve

C.  Daniels concerns are making 2nd level throws and at 23 and change is he peaking now more so than someone like Maye.  But again people like him -- this is just the contrast with Maye

D. One evaluator he talked told him McCarthy is a strong #4 in this class and the gap between Mccarthy and Daniels at 3 is much thiner than the advantage he felt Maye had over Daniels

E.  Expectation is McCarthy has a big combine both as a passer and in his interviews

• Like 13

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Craig Hoffman who is team Daniels but like Sheehan I'll give him he stays objective when others don't agree with him on it.

He was on Sheehan.  Sheehan asked him what is Hoffman hearing talking to people at the combine.  Hoffman said...

B.  The reasons why for the Maye perferences mostly center on he can make all the throws, every type, and his upside is greater and at 21 he has more runway in front of him to improve

C.  Daniels concerns are making 2nd level throws and at 23 and change is he peaking now more so than someone like Maye.  But again people like him -- this is just the contrast with Maye

D. One evaluator he talked told him McCarthy is a strong #4 in this class and the gap between Mccarthy and Daniels at 3 is much thiner than the advantage he felt Maye had over Daniels

E.  Expectation is McCarthy has a big combine both as a passer and in his interviews

I choose option E. JJ is on the rise, a lot of people are starting to move him up their boards. If he throws good he could really move up into the top 5.

25 minutes ago, TheGoodBits said:

In a quarterback loaded draft class, with a Bears that already has at least a mid-tier starter quality QB on a rookie deal, Bears would be silly to not seriously explore trading down. 

The Bears should trade down and keep Fields.  DJ Moore, his top receiver who they picked up from the Panthers, is actively being vocal about Fields. He does not think any of the top 3 QB options are better than Fields.  He improved significantly the second half of the season. They got the turnaround they were looking for.  They could get a haul for the #1 pick and really strengthen their roster. 

• Like 1

The Bears are going to get the Falcons 2nd round pick (recouping what they lost for Sweat) and a future conditional if I had to guess, something like a 2nd that can become a 1st if he leads them to the playoffs or gets an extension done. Or maybe a 3rd to a 2nd. But I do feel like there could be a future conditional 1st involved if he hits certain thresholds.

No chance the Falcons give up #8 for Fields though.

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This is nearly the opposite of what Todd McShay said he heard talking to teams so the rest of this week should be fun lol. 

Edited by ThatNFLChick

3 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

I choose option E. JJ is on the rise, a lot of people are starting to move him up their boards. If he throws good he could really move up into the top 5.

I don't.  But I do agree he could go top 5.

Heck he was the first QB I touted in this draft, way back in the start of the college season.  I got some love for McCarthy.  I do think Maye > McCarthy.  Daniels > McCarthy.  But McCarthy isn't a bad consolation prize.

The reasons why I don't think it ends up him....

A. Spielman the dude who hired the GM, thinks there is a full tier down as far as QB play after Maye and Daniels.  So maybe Peters sees it totally differently.  But I think there has to be some odds that the dude Spielman recommended sees some things in a similar way.

B. Have heard zero buzz yet from any insiders that this team is hot for him.  Now granted that can change but so far when I listen to Keim for example its just about Maye versus Daniels.

C.  If he goes top 5 how can we be assured we trade down and get him?  Who is the trade partner in the top 5?

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't.  But I do agree he could go top 5.

Heck he was the first QB I touted in this draft, way back in the start of the college season.  I got some love for McCarthy.  I do think Maye > McCarthy.  Daniels > McCarthy.  But McCarthy isn't a bad consolation prize.

The reasons why I don't think it ends up him....

A. Spielman the dude who hired the GM, thinks there is a full tier down as far as QB play after Maye and Daniels.  So maybe Peters sees it totally differently.  But I think there has to be some odds that the dude Spielman recommended sees some things in a similar way.

B. Have heard zero buzz yet from any insiders that this team is hot for him.  Now granted that can change but so far when I listen to Keim for example its just about Maye versus Daniels.

C.  If he goes top 5 how can we be assured we trade down and get him?  Who is the trade partner in the top 5?

To be fair Speilman has been very clear and honest in saying he has nothing to do with the QB search, they haven't asked him his opinions on the QBs and he has not given it. 

1 minute ago, ThatNFLChick said:

To be fair Speilman has been very clear and honest in saying he has nothing to do with the QB search, they haven't asked him his opinions on the QBs and he has not given it. 

Of course.  My point wasn't that they are going to listen to Speilman.  I said its possible that Spielman liked GMs who think like him.  It's human nature.  I've interviewed plenty of people

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

so far when I listen to Keim for example its just about Maye versus Daniels.

This is what I give the most weight to, if/when Keim talks at all about McCarthy, I'll believe he's in the discussion. 

I do think McCarthy has the most to gain (maybe Rattler, but more in interviews for him) among QBs who will throw at the combine.

Peters is fresh from the memory of Brock Purdy.

Let’s not assume all of these QBs naturally fit into tiers of ability in the order we think. 

I’d suggest a player like JJ has done more to elevate his league prospects just as much as anyone else, Williams aside as the outlier in terms of pure natural ability.

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

Hoping to see a Tweet soon about us interviewing Maye.  :) 

Waiting to see clip of Quinn and Maye leaving interview room, both with caps on backwards. Quinn: "The kid ******* killed it! Let's gooooooo!" *Quinn and Maye both flex like Hulk Hogan*

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Hoping to see a Tweet soon about us interviewing Maye.  :) 

You missed it?

It must be in the other thread.

Kurt benkert tweeted that we met with maye and he showed up wearing a pink moomoo and babbling on about how the voices in his head keep telling him he's the fifth Beatle.

• Haha 4

Just now, Dah-Dee said:

This is what I give the most weight to, if/when Keim talks at all about McCarthy, I'll believe he's in the discussion. 

I do think McCarthy has the most to gain (maybe Rattler, but more in interviews for him) among QBs who will throw at the combine.

Keim is the closest we got to Deep Throat with this team.  And he hates getting things wrong.

Lets take Caleb.  But when I hear Keim multiple times includng in his last podcast that he doesn't expect a trade up -- both because this team he believes doesn't want to give up big capital AND the Bears from his sources around the league will indeed trade Fields and take Caleb -- am thinking he's likely right.

But for me, i am digesting what's thrown out me.  I guess I have less to lose it seems emotionally than many here.

If its Caleb -- he's my favorite QB in the draft of course I'd be jazzed to have him.

If its Maye -- I think there is a strong chance we get Herbert Part 2.  I'd be jazzed.

If its Daniels -- love the dude as a runner.  He'd be the most exciting QB they can take.  It would take me back to 2012 and in a good way.

Heck even if some longer shot thing happens like McCarthy.  I am one of the higher people here on him.

So I think i am emotionally  protected here than most. :ols:  The only dart to me emotionally is if the vocal minority get what they want and they pass on a QB.  I'd be very depressed. 😢. But I have no fear it happens.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, TheGoodBits said:

They could probably land a 2nd and change, maybe late 1st for Fields. They could also move out of #1 and add a future 1st just for dropping one or two spots, and still draft a top QB.

Heck if they decided they liked Fields more than Maye/Daniels/McCarthy, they could trade down from 1 to 2, then again from 2 to wherever, getting the QB premium return for both trades. 

Technically, the Skins can do the same thing. They can trade down to #3 with the Pats (for their preference of QB), then trade out of the 3rd pick (if someone covets MH or the 3rd QB taken). In that scenario, we grab a TON of picks and someone like JJ at #8. There is big risk there if JJ is not available with a trade down - but if they like Howell, maybe not so much risk...

• Sad 1