Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

There is room for all opinions in this thread and I find them fascinating (as long as the same poster doesn't reiterate the same opinion over and over again and get defensive about it).

That said, my personal opinion is that a lot of opinions expressed here are really really bad.

I'm not into insulting people, but if your post boils down to "I think Drake Maye's bust potential is just as high as JJ McCarthy's" ( i.e., McCarthy has the same or a higher floor), or if you're your opinion is that we should scoff at drafting the next Josh Allen, then know that I just shake my head and move on. I'm not even going to engage with that kind of logic. And I think that there are a good many posters who are like me in that regard. Which makes it kind of sad that some of these awful opinions are not getting called out. Eh.... So be it. We'll see in the coming months.

Edited by Rolo Tomasie
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

46 minutes ago, MrJL said:

because we've seen what happens when these guys fall off without massive injury excuses and what happens is not "they bounce back like nothing ever happened"

He had one bad year, not last year, the year before last. Russ actually did bounce back this last year. In 15 games played he threw for over 3000 yards with 26 tds to only 8 ints while having a passer rating of over 98. All of this in his second offensive system in 2 years with subpar talent around him due to his giant contract and lack of picks due to the Payton trade. If Sam through for 26/8, we’d of been competing for a playoff spot. If Russ would’ve started the last 2 games he would’ve probably finished with around 29-30 tds to only 9-10 picks while throwing for probably around 3600 yards and around a 96-100 passer rating. That is a a solid to good year for any qb.

Edited by mac8887
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I know some love Sam but we would be crazy not to trade him if we could get a 3rd (supposedly the Jets and Patriots are inquiring)

He also says “maybe more”…

What about Howell? Multiple NFL sources believe several teams would be interested in trading for the 23-year-old who threw for 3,946 yards and 21 touchdowns in 17 starts last season (albeit with an NFL-worst 21 interceptions). They could potentially get a third-round pick for him — maybe more — if they decide they're willing to deal him sometime around the draft.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, DogofWar1 said:

hmmm a 3rd for Sam starts to get intriguing.

I would want to know who else we would have at QB besides our drafted guy before I pull that trigger, but a 3rd is pretty good value.

Take that all day long, I’d take a 7th for Sam, doubt anyone would offer anything for him, especially with all the talent in the draft this year at qb. I imagine a team would rather use their picks to draft Rattler or Pratt in the later rounds than to trade for Sam. They’d get 4 years instead of 2 with a qb with just as much upside and potential without having to worry about them being broken by taking all those hits Sam took. It would be nice to get anything of value for Sam, I just don’t see it happening.

• Haha 1

Having the second pick in a QB class like this is really exciting.

While I prefer Maye’s upside and tools, I won’t be upset if the FO likes Daniels and has a plan for him. And his maturity, growth and running ability makes it pretty unlikely he busts (barring injury, which is my main fear).

Both seem to check all the boxes on work ethic and character.

I see Big Ben and Josh Allen as high end comps for Maye. Which is phenomenal, but there is definitely boom/bust there. Low end could be a guy like Blake Bortles. The arm and improvisation and execution in bad circumstances intrigue more.

I think Daniels low comp would be Tyrod Taylor/Geno and his high end would be Hurts- maybe Lamar Jackson/Deshaun Watson, but I think that’s generous.  He’s careful/ cautious with the ball (good and bad) and I could see the FO wanting more consistency and less turnovers even if the high end isn’t as spectacular (minus the running ability, which is sort of a double edged sword you don’t really want to overuse). I’m also really interested in what he weighs and what he runs (I want him to be at least 6’3 210 and run or 215 if he doesn’t.)  I don’t think he will be 6’4, probably 6’3 to 6’3 a half.

I think Maye is going to be 6’4 and a half and probably 235-240. I want him to show he’s worked on his footwork and make the easy throw look easy in the drills.

I think both players probably hit to some degree and get second contracts.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I know some love Sam but we would be crazy not to trade him if we could get a 3rd (supposedly the Jets and Patriots are inquiring)

During this week’s combine, we should gage interest for Sam.  If someone wants to give up a third, jump on it.

15 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

For a 3rd Ill pay for his plane ticket and drive him to Dulles myself

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Yeah I like Sam a lot as a backup and potential starter, and I love the Maye/Howell QB room, but you would be nuts not to take a mid to high 3rd. Comp pick third?

If we weren’t going to run some sort of air raid, I’d do it in a heartbeat but I think he’s doing to really excel in this scheme.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skinsfan66 said:

It's also accurate that he is done. He was terrible his first year with the Broncos and just a little better last year after having Payton working with him. No need to sign for a Old washed up Vet again, Ron is gone. We have Coaches, will have a Blue Chip QB?, and already have a couple other QB's to work with. 

The big problem and the scary note was that he was already slipping badly in his final season in Seattle in '21. His worst season in what, five years, lowest QBR, lowest comp pct, if you watched him, it was clear, he was entering the downward phase of his career, period, 32 years old, not the athlete he once was etc. The poor Broncos saved us and some other teams from their own stupidity. Seattle sniffed out what was happening and dealt him immediately. He was done in '21, now were just seeing periodic flashes of what once was, but the train has been going downward, period. 

On 2/23/2024 at 12:41 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

We aren't always in synch about QBs.  But this time we are and big time so.

McCarthy was the first QB I watched and touted on the draft thread, did it at the beginnng of the college season.  And months back i pushed Daniels on this thread before it became cool and turned into somewhat of a mania here :ols:  so I am close to lock step with you about both.  Both I agree are legit top 10 prospects.

But I also agree that Drake Maye is the superior QB to both prospects. 

Maye can make plays on every level -- in routes, out routes.  He throws with velocity.  He varies his speeds and has good touch.  Makes plays off platform.  Makes tight window-contested throws.  Can run.  And has faced every kind of adversity you can face in college which should prepare him well for the NFL.

And he's only 21.  And with supposedly very high intangibles.   We are very lucky to be in position to take him.

https://sports.yahoo.com/where-does-drake-maye-rank-210033186.html

in how both signal-callers compare to recent first-round QB prospects. Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer recently asked a handful of NFL executives where they would rank Williams and Maye among the best QB prospects in the last four drafts, dating to 2021. According to Breer, they're viewed quite favorably.

"The universal answer (I got) was, other than Trevor (Lawrence), (Williams and Maye) are the two best," Breer said Thursday on 98.5 the Sports Hub's Zolak & Bertrand, as seen in the video above. "One person had Caleb in front of Trevor, but it was, generally speaking, Trevor one, Caleb two, Drake Maye three."

That's an encouraging sign, as Lawrence rebounded from a rocky rookie season under Urban Meyer to become a Pro Bowl quarterback for the Jacksonville Jaguars. Only four QBs have more passing yards than Lawrence since the start of the 2022 season, and his 43 touchdown passes in that span rank in the top 10 as well.

Williams may be the closer comparison to Lawrence, but execs still are very high on Maye: Breer noted he's heard Joe Burrow and Justin Herbert mentioned as potential comps for the UNC star.

"I think one of the things with Drake Maye that you're not guessing on is the type of person he is, and that you're gonna get an A-plus person," Breer said. "His dad was a quarterback at North Carolina. His brother was a starting power forward on the basketball team there. He comes from good stock.

"He is by all accounts the right type of kid, and as much as you don't want to throw a young quarterback into a bad situation, I do think if you have the first or second pick, the two quarterbacks in those spots are probably too good to pass up on."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39400577/what-patriots-get-draft-qb-drake-maye-no-3-jerod-mayo-bill-belichick

"He has good arm strength, good vision and he's very, very intelligent. He is very consistent with his decision-making," Longo said. "He is aggressive when you give him some freedom in regards to checking a route or plays. He's a good, total-package kid."

Maye's father, Mark, played football at UNC (1983-87). His brother Luke played basketball at the school (2015-19) and won a national championship, and another brother, Beau, was a walk-on for the Tar Heels in the 2022-23 season. Another brother, Cole, won a baseball national title at Florida.

Longo said he believes that Maye's experience growing up in an "ultra-sport-driven family" fed his competitive nature, which is the type of thing NFL scouts ask him about as much, if not more, than what they see on the field.

"The majority of the questions are about the things you can't see on film. What is the character of the kid? Is he obsessed with the game? Does he have natural leadership ability? If he does, what is it? Is he a quiet guy that is going to teach and mentor and coach guys? Is he a yeller and a screamer?" Longo explained.

"Matt Corral, who we had at Ole Miss, wore all his emotions on his sleeve. You knew how he was feeling just by looking at him. That's how he played and it's what made him good. Then Sam [Howell] was the opposite. He was cool, calm, collected -- the house is on fire and it doesn't matter, he'll handle the problem, assess it and address it.

"Then Drake is kind of in-between -- you can tell when he's fired up, when he's happy, when he's disappointed with himself, when he doesn't like a call. But it was never so drastic that he gets off that midline of being composed or poised that it would affect him emotionally in the game. He's very mature."

Maye’s biggest asset is his ability to remain even keeled coupled with a desire to learn the  offense. Add in a guarantee of no off the field nonsense and that alone makes him my pick 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, HTTSkins said:

Maye’s biggest asset is his ability to remain even keeled coupled with a desire to learn the  offense. Add in a guarantee of no off the field nonsense and that alone makes him my pick 

How in the world is that guaranteed?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Just the fact that several teams are interested in Sam tells me we should hold onto him so this new staff can judge what they have in him. We will need a backup QB too and the jury is still out on how good Sam can be. Judging him solely on last season seems unfair to me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I would certainly take a 3d for Sam. I’d be surprised if that’s really on offer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

For a 3rd Ill pay for his plane ticket and drive him to Dulles myself

And I’d pick him up from LaGuardia and drive him to Jets training facility in Florham Park, Joyzie.

Got you covered AP, make the deal💪

• Like 1