Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

I’m still absolutely terrified Howell ends up in that 12-16 tier of the Kirks, Carrs, tannehills, and Jimmy Gs. For now it’s fine but once it comes time to pay him it’s very easy to fall in to purgatory. 

He’s looked pretty good at times. Woeful at others. Personally If the season is up and down like we expect. I’d look to move him. Let the next staff pick exactly who they wants. Strive for great. Not settle for the middle ground. 

44 minutes ago, Stihl89 said:

I’m still absolutely terrified Howell ends up in that 12-16 tier of the Kirks, Carrs, tannehills, and Jimmy Gs. For now it’s fine but once it comes time to pay him it’s very easy to fall in to purgatory. 

He’s looked pretty good at times. Woeful at others. Personally If the season is up and down like we expect. I’d look to move him. Let the next staff pick exactly who they wants. Strive for great. Not settle for the middle ground. 

You can pay a bit more if the guy can play backyard football. Dudes you listed can’t. 

Must see more thought. 

1 hour ago, Stihl89 said:

He has a stronger arm and can scramble better than all of the QBs you mentioned.  Howell has everything to be a top 10 QB, though my concern is him getting hurt. 

Edited by Daniel.redskins
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Stihl89 said:

I don’t like Kirk but he is way better than Jimmy G. Way better. 

It is pretty clear, he's going to have to get a lot more accurate to be level (top 6 or 7) QB.  Which doesn't happen a lot.  He's got issues reading defenses, but he's also just not accurate enough (currently).  The read defense he'll likely get better at, and he'll get a little more accurate.  But I doubt to where he needs to be to bet in the top tier of QBs.

I suspect he's going to be the kind of guy where if you can get him at like $20 million/year (based on today's cap) in a few years, you might be able to put together a team and win with him.  But that doesn't happen because somebody will over pay him.  At least on the next contract.

Edited by PeterMP

I think Howell is far from the biggest problem on this team at the moment. Given what he has to work with I think he's played well. Some mistakes and needs to get better at making decisions faster, but that comes with time and all of that is to be expected from such a young QB and he's also made some great plays to go with those bad ones.

Bieniemy is still asking Howell to do way too much. He's averaging almost 40 throws per game which is pretty nutty for what is essentially a rookie QB.

I think criticism of him is overdone. He has considerable upside and I think he's probably being held back by fear for his life from playing behind an OL this bad. In spite of that, he has shown considerable growth in his first few games already. He's one of the youngest QBs in the league and mistakes are to be expected.

I think it borders on negligence to have someone with so many assets and so much potential playing behind an O line as bad as ours currrently is. I practically have a nervous breakdown every time he takes a snap for fear he will be seriously injured. He's probably the best QB this team has had since RG3 and the last thing this team needs is for him to end up in another injury situation like RG3 did. 

If he can calm down and not try to risk so much on plays, fix his sack problem and a few other things I think he can be one heck of a QB in this league.

Edited by SonnySideUp

The problem for Howell is that he's a project QB playing for a regime in its fourth season fighting for their jobs in front of new ownership.  He is, optimistically, at least a year or two away from being able to read coverages and pressures well enough to be a good QB and solidify his future here, and that is time he is simply not going to get before this regime gets fired.

This situation is probably not going to work out for him or Ron.  It sucks.  I'm rooting for them, but the timing is bad.  Ron needed to find and play his developmental QB in year one or two, not four.  He's going to get fired after the season is over, and the new regime has to be fully empowered to find their QB this off-season.  The optimist in me wants that to be Sam so bad, so we can have a quick rebuild.  But the realist in me finds that very unlikely, and I absolutely do not want to keep continuing the same cycle of forcing the new regime to try and salvage the QB projects of the previous one before moving on in year two.  We need our FO to form the HC-QB marriage in year one.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Going Commando said:

This situation is probably not going to work out for him or Ron.  It sucks.  I'm rooting for them, but the timing is bad.  Ron needed to find and play his developmental QB in year one or two, not four.  He's going to get fired after the season is over, and the new regime has to be fully empowered to find their QB this off-season.  The optimist in me wants that to be Sam so bad, so we can have a quick rebuild.  But the realist in me finds that very unlikely, and I absolutely do not want to keep continuing the same cycle of forcing the new regime to try and salvage the QB projects of the previous one before moving on in year two.  We need our FO to form the HC-QB marriage in year one.

This is exactly where I am. It’s unfortunate for Sam but the needs of the organization outweigh on player. Even a QB. Hope it works out but he’s going to be and down all year. Think he can become a solid Kirk tier type of player but it’s going to be a year or two down the line at best. Doubt the next staff will want their QB be the previous staffs 5th rounder starter by default 

10 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

He's going to get fired after the season is over, and the new regime has to be fully empowered to find their QB this off-season.

Fingers crossed.

Although I don't want the new regime to write off Howell so quickly.

6 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Fingers crossed.

Although I don't want the new regime to write off Howell so quickly.

A new regime will have to **** or get off the pot with Howell.  They need to understand that if they pick Howell, then he's their guy that they are married to from here on out.  And I don't think a new regime is going to choose that path.  Not when you've got two super blue chip prospects in this year's draft.

41 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

The problem for Howell is that he's a project QB playing for a regime in its fourth season fighting for their jobs in front of new ownership.  He is, optimistically, at least a year or two away from being able to read coverages and pressures well enough to be a good QB and solidify his future here, and that is time he is simply not going to get before this regime gets fired.

Agreed. Let the new FO/Coach pick their own QB. If anything Howell can start next year while the rook learns and then maybe we flip him for a draft pick. 

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Agreed. Let the new FO/Coach pick their own QB. If anything Howell can start next year while the rook learns and then maybe we flip him for a draft pick. 

If we go up and get Drake Maye or Caleb Williams, you probably have to start them as rookies.  You want the developmental process to begin year one for the exact reason that you don't want the next coaching staff to be losing and taking their lumps with a green QB in years 2, 3, or 4.  I don't know what becomes of Howell if we do that.  He's unlucky, really unfortunate situation for him to tumble in the draft like he did and then end up in a lame duck situation.  He's done his job as well as can be expected, and it's not working out for him.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

It's entirely possible Howell IS the next regime's QB.

If we are top two in the draft, ya, we probably should take the QB (or, if the new regime likes Howell trade back for a bunch of much needed draft picks). 

My concern with even a rookie QB is that if we don't find a better offensive line situation we're going to be in the same boat. Sure, they may get rid of the ball quicker than Sam... Part of Sam's game is being fearless in the pocket and not bailing early, but that DOES lead to him taking too many hits and sacks... But the quick game would need to be the focus of the offense to mitigate some of the OL issues... but even on quick game stuff Howell is taking hits when he gets the ball out on time.

Priority one has to be protecting the passer.

If we can do that while taking Drake Maye (Williams released a list of 5 teams he wanted to play for... so he may not even come out if we get in position to take him) then I'm more than good with it. But I'm not sure how we pull that off. 

49 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

A new regime will have to **** or get off the pot with Howell.  They need to understand that if they pick Howell, then he's their guy that they are married to from here on out.  And I don't think a new regime is going to choose that path.  Not when you've got two super blue chip prospects in this year's draft.

Agree. I do like Howell a lot. But I also respect a new regime who wants their QB. The biggest mistake Rivers made was trying to develop his predecessor's QB.  

27 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

If we go up and get Drake Maye or Caleb Williams, you probably have to start them as rookies.  You want the developmental process to begin year one for the exact reason that you don't want the next coaching staff to be losing and taking their lumps with a green QB in years 2, 3, or 4.  I don't know what becomes of Howell if we do that.  He's unlucky, really unfortunate situation for him to tumble in the draft like he did and then end up in a lame duck situation.  He's done his job as well as can be expected, and it's not working out for him.

If we did that, we could probably trade him for a second rounder.   That said I don't think we will go up and get Drake Maye or Caleb Williams, so its probably a moot point.

9 hours ago, Stihl89 said:

He felt REALLY slow on his reads tonight. A lot of dump off yards tonight

He took what was available to him. Our receivers were all covered in the first half. They were as flatfooted as the rest of the team. Howell is a decent QB and  you know what would be a shame? Not letting him develop and getting some protection upfront. If you have to bring in a TE set to help block and assist with the anemic O line, to protect him and give him time, then

do it. Sam Howell is going to have his rookie moments, but the guy has the arm strength, accuracy and mobility to play well on this level. 

Game 5 for him, let's get him some help from th o line and maybe run the ball more than six times per game. I think with more game time he will be a very good QB. Let him grow and learn....hopefully without being killed. The coaches need to drill into his head to get down instead of playing like Earl Campbell.

These nerd stats are starting to piss me off. IT wasn't howell's fault last night. Howell wasn't to blame for getting sacked 5 times by a team that had 2 sacks coming into the game. 

I'm had it up to here with neil lol. The QB isn't the issue in DC...for once...

Edited by ixcuincle
  • Like 1