Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

24 minutes ago, method man said:

The lack of height and higher end athleticism definitely hurt his upside. You could win and win big with him if you are able to get more high end talent around him.

A lot more of a flash in the pan type of ceiling. Not a fan of that. Not much different than what we have now 

9 minutes ago, Stihl89 said:

A lot more of a flash in the pan type of ceiling

What does that mean?

Are you saying that what we're seeing right now is a flash in the pan and that's the best he's capable of? (aka his ceiling)

If so how could you possibly know that?

11 minutes ago, Stihl89 said:

Not much different than what we have now

I really don't have any idea what this means.

I hate the whole floor ceiling debate because it implies you can tell what the absolute worst a player is capable of becoming and the absolute best and in almost all circumstances you really can't.

In certain instances you can tell a quarterback isn't going to become a lamar Jackson scrambler and suggest his ceiling for running is below that simply because athleticism is quantifiable but to suggest a floor or ceiling for a players potential as a player overall is throwing darts at a board at best.

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Great weapons, great system and great coaching.

They are so impressive it’s sickening.

And great player.  At least initially.  He’s better than Jimmy G. And they totally blew the eval on Lance.  

It’s not JUST the great weapons, system and coaching.  The player has to be good too.  

And it looks like they got damn lucky to find a great player with the last pick in the draft.  

31 minutes ago, redskinss said:

What does that mean?

Essentially a lot of things have to go right for us to be an elite team and it’s difficult to have it be a year over thing. It’s just too difficult to replace players who inevitably leave due to cap space issues with paying a middling QB 30-40 mil. 

8 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

What was the story on Purdy? I was assuming he was a flash in the pan (since we are using that expression) but he's kept it up this year. Why was he such a low draft pick? Was it something like height like Sam or lack of production in college?

I didn't watch him, but I did notice the notorious PFF analysts were high on him, they ranked him much higher than others.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's on theme for Ron.  As I've said what's his excuse if he doesn't win in season 4, based on his rhetoric its Howell, Howell, Howell, young QB, young QB, young QB.  The irony is Howell has arguably been a bright spot, its most of the rest of the roster that's an issue.

But I gather that's what he already told the owner, I've built a killer roster, we just have to endure the Howell growing pains, once he endures those pains, SB here we come!

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dear Ron,

I still appreciate all that you did for this franchise and all that you fought through personally. However, I think your time as HC/GM of the Washington Red Football Commanders has come to its natural end.

Thank you,

KDawg

• Like 8
  • Thumb up 1

Unfortunately, Ron is at a point where his decline is so obvious, that nobody dare call him to the carpet for changing the subject and making Sam the scapegoat.  I don’t feel like a mentally healthy man answers the way he did there.  He’s made a lot of head scratching comments but that was egregious.  That wasn’t just throwing Sam in front of the bus, he went and found him inside the building and dragged him out to the street to throw him in front of a bus that was meant for him.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Unfortunately, Ron is at a point where his decline is so obvious, that nobody dare call him to the carpet for changing the subject and making Sam the scapegoat.  I don’t feel like a mentally healthy man answers the way he did there.  He’s made a lot of head scratching comments but that was egregious.  That wasn’t just throwing Sam in front of the bus, he went and found him inside the building and dragged him out to the street to throw him in front of a bus that was meant for him.

And Howell has played fairly well.

And the OL was throwing coaching under the bus.

Howell hasn’t said a word either way.

It’s like the Spider-Man pointing meme except Howell is just standing there confused.

• Like 3

Ron has been scapegoating most of his prominent players in the media his entire tenure here.  He did it with Haskins, Chase, Montez, Gibson, Jackson, Jamin, Forbes, Scherff, and now Howell.  He dicked Cosmi around last year too, and stunted his development.  He almost never takes accountability for coaching or GM failures, and he doesn't keep issues with players in house.  The dude has always been disingenuous and political, and it's one of the things I've disliked the most about his regime.  I didn't mind the media gaffes about silly crap during training camp, but I can't stand when he singles out players.  It is awful coaching, awful leadership.

Ron is done here.  He brought in some good players but they're not going to reach their potential under him.  He's got a weak coaching staff other than one guy, their preparation and game management are still subpar, and he is more checked out than the year when he was going through his treatments.  He is squandering what should have been the best season for us in ten years.

• Like 2

Every word that comes out of Ron's mouth should be nothing but outwardly praise for Howell and what he's managing to do. Anything that Ron says that can be confused as slander?libel? he shouldn't say and he should apologize for. 

Now I'm starting to see why he wanted to start Sam and it had nothing to do with the sparkle he saw in Sam, he just wanted an excuse and somebody to blame. But not that Sam is playing like a franchise guy it's changing his story. He'd better watch his words 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Ron has been scapegoating most of his prominent players in the media his entire tenure here.  He did it with Haskins, Chase, Montez, Gibson, Jackson, Jamin, Forbes, Scherff, and now Howell.  He dicked Cosmi around last year too, and stunted his development.  He almost never takes accountability for coaching or GM failures, and he doesn't keep issues with players in house.  The dude has always been disingenuous and political, and it's one of the things I've disliked the most about his regime.  I didn't mind the media gaffes about silly crap during training camp, but I can't stand when he singles out players.  It is awful coaching, awful leadership.

Ron is done here.  He brought in some good players but they're not going to reach their potential under him.  He's got a weak coaching staff other than one guy, their preparation and game management are still subpar, and he is more checked out than the year when he was going through his treatments.  He is squandering what should have been the best season for us in ten years.

This is a new stance from you. Nice to see you adjust.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

He could at least act as if he's trying.

He is trying but things have gotten so out of hand that he doesn't even know what is right and what is wrong anymore. The pipe has sprung multiple leaks and can't get a handle on which to stop first. Best solution would be to replace the contractors in charge and the portion of the pipe that has gone bad. Hopefully the new contractors can do a better job in completing the project. 

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Ron is done I think. I’m pretty sure he knew a while back that he was going to finish out his contract (if allowed to) and retire.

He has one more year left I think. He wont be here next season - I cant see him walking away from millions of dollars so I dont see him retiring but there will be a buyout and it will probably be positioned as a mutual decision not him being fired.

1 hour ago, oraphus said:

At this point Ron is more of a detriment to the team than help. I am very concerned that this moron is allowed to make any important decisions for this team like trading for players or trading away players this year. 

Dont worry - being proactive in trading players for future picks or looking to acquire players at below market values is not a hallmark of this regime. We will sit on our hands like we always do.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MartinC said:

He has one more year left I think. He wont be here next season - I cant see him walking away from millions of dollars so I dont see him retiring but there will be a buyout and it will probably be positioned as a mutual decision not him being fired.

Yeah, I think you're 100% right.  He will get through this season, and step down.

I bet, however, he would like to get to a point where promoting EB to HC is the obvious choice.  Obviously there will be an entirely new FO.  But I could see a world where if the offense performs, with a 2nd year QB and a bad OL, Josh/New GM feel like it's best to keep some continuity on offense, promote EB, and let EB fill out an entirely new defensive staff, and a new GM is there to oversee the operations.

That really could work.

IF the offense continues to improve.  Which, I think it will.

PS: I think they should try Lucas at RT and Paul at LG. Just to see if that helps anything.  Maybe it doesn't.  Then you go back to what you had.  But I'd give it a shot.  Because ... why not?