Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

8 hours ago, UK Skins said:

What was the story on Purdy? I was assuming he was a flash in the pan (since we are using that expression) but he's kept it up this year. Why was he such a low draft pick? Was it something like height like Sam or lack of production in college?

He is just is a fast processor without great physical tools.  He was a four year starter at Iowa St. without a redshirt year.  So he instantly was able to process the game at the college level.   He kind of leveled off in college.    His best statistical season was his sophomore year where he averaged 8.4 yards per attempt and had 27 TD's to 9 interceptions.  I think teams felt he had leveled off, had relatively low upside because of the lack of physical tools, and just were not interested.  

That said a lot of his success is just going to a good situation in San Fran.   He has the traits Kyle Shanahan likes--fast processing and accurate passer.   He is a good system QB.

• Thanks 1

Just now, philibusters said:

He is just is a fast processor without great physical tools.  He was a four year starter at Iowa St. without a redshirt year.  So he instantly was able to process the game at the college level.   He kind of leveled off in college.    His best statistical season was his sophomore year where he averaged 8.4 yards per attempt and had 27 TD's to 9 interceptions.  I think teams felt he had leveled off, had relatively low upside because of the lack of physical tools, and just were not interested.  

That said a lot of his success is just going to a good situation in San Fran.   He has the traits Kyle Shanahan likes--fast processing and accurate passer.   He is a good system QB.

All that's true, but he's better than Jimmy G. and clearly better than Lance.  So it's not all just situation, and clearly not just anybody can do it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, philibusters said:

The ball seems to float off his hand when he releases it, almost as though it jumps up on the release.  What causes that?

16 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

PS: I think they should try Lucas at RT and Paul at LG. Just to see if that helps anything.  Maybe it doesn't.  Then you go back to what you had.  But I'd give it a shot.  Because ... why not?

I'd play Stromberg before Paul but that might be at centre over Gates rather than G. Maybe slide Gates over to LG, though I dont think Charles has been any worse than some others on the line overall (he is free agent though after this season and its hard to see him back at this point).

Agree with you on Lucas - hard to see how he could worse than Wylie (and Wylie could always kick over to LG if Charles is just not cutting it).

15 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

The ball seems to float off his hand when he releases it, almost as though it jumps up on the release.  What causes that

One of the knocks on him is he doesn't have a very strong arm. He tends to float deep balls or deep outs. That might be what you are seeing.

The system and talent around him at the 49ers put him in an ideal situation to succeed. But then it was the same situation that Trey Lance failed in - so credit to Purdy for taking his opportunity. 

Just now, MartinC said:

I'd play Stromberg before Paul but that might be at centre over Gates rather than G. Maybe slide Gates over to LG, though I dont think Charles has been any worse than some others on the line overall (he is free agent though after this season and its hard to see him back at this point).

Agree with you on Lucas - hard to see how he could worse than Wylie (and Wylie could always kick over to LG if Charles is just not cutting it).

ok.  I forgot about Stromboli.

But ... that would mean playing a 2023 draft pick.  We've decided we kidnof don't want to do that.  I thought.  Not allowed, maybe?

I don't think Gates has really been the problem on the OL, at least not to my eyes.  Frankly, Charles has been ok also, though he has moments where he's beat so badly he doesn't even have time to fall down backwards.

Everybody sortof seems to rally around Gates.  I think he probably needs to stay where he is.  The Center/QB relationship is very intimate.  Don't touch that.  Like seriously, don't touch that.  

Put Stromboli in at Guard.  

Lucas at RT.  

Or hell, Lucas at LT.  

Just for the love of God, try something.

8 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

ok.  I forgot about Stromboli.

But ... that would mean playing a 2023 draft pick.  We've decided we kidnof don't want to do that.  I thought.  Not allowed, maybe?

I don't think Gates has really been the problem on the OL, at least not to my eyes.  Frankly, Charles has been ok also, though he has moments where he's beat so badly he doesn't even have time to fall down backwards.

Everybody sortof seems to rally around Gates.  I think he probably needs to stay where he is.  The Center/QB relationship is very intimate.  Don't touch that.  Like seriously, don't touch that.  

Put Stromboli in at Guard.  

Lucas at RT.  

Or hell, Lucas at LT.  

Just for the love of God, try something.

The one move I'd make is Strom at C over Gates. I don't want him at G, I think Strom is missing assignments and getting mollywhopped. The other is Wylie for Lucas. Both those moves are going to happen in due time I suspect though. 

43 minutes ago, philibusters said:

Jimmy G was a good system QB. Purdy is beyond that threshold.

I think we have seen enough to push him farther.

I don't care if anyone thinks even 90% of his success is due to being placed in the best situation possible that can be constructed by man, dude is at minimum an otherwordly system QB.

He has been horrifyingly good.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Click bait media sucks. Who gives a **** if jay gruden likes Howell or if lobster shanahan thinks redacted has the "it" factor!?

You see this **** so many times, you just get immune to it. Not really directed at you SIP, you're just the town crier, as it were....and I think more of sam Howell than I do do any QB that's played for.this team since cousins....but this **** is just morons filling airtime/generating fan "engagement".

Edited by SpacePenguin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SpacePenguin said:

Click bait media sucks. Who gives a **** if jay gruden likes Howell or if lobster shanahan thinks redacted has the "it" factor!?

You see this **** so many times, you just get immune to it. Not really directed at you SIP, you're just the town crier, as it were....and I think more of sam Howell than I do do any QB that's played for.this team since cousins....but this **** is just morons filling airtime/generating fan "engagement".

To each their own on that. Some people clearly find it interesting.  The twitter post was up for just a little time and it already got 500 likes.  I know some here like @Voice_of_Reason thinks he knows more football than Jay. 😎   But not every fan sees things the same way.

Jay isn't a leader of men.  But he played QB, and has run offenses for years.   I understand some here think Jay knows as much or less than name that casual fan.   But not everyone sees it that same way.  So its sort of a different strokes for different folks type of post -- I get that Jay is still very polarizing.  

Specifically Scot McCloughan has said multiple times publicly including to me personally that Jay as a HC is the best evaluator of talent he ever worked with on that front.  So I am not in the camp that Jay has no idea what he's looking at when it comes to Howell.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

38 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

To each their own on that. Some people clearly find it interesting.  The twitter post was up for just a little time and it already got 500 likes.  I know some here like @Voice_of_Reason thinks he knows more football than Jay. 😎   But not every fan sees things the same way.

Jay isn't a leader of men.  But he played QB, and has run offenses for years.   I understand some here think Jay knows as much or less than name that casual fan.   But not everyone sees it that same way.  So its sort of a different strokes for different folks type of post -- I get that Jay is still very polarizing.  

Specifically Scot McCloughan has said multiple times publicly including to me personally that Jay as a HC is the best evaluator of talent he ever worked with on that front.  So I am not in the camp that Jay has no idea what he's looking at when it comes to Howell.  

Yeah, you're all good dude...not directed at you, nor at Gruden....I'd take him over Rivera anyday, personally. All the "sports media" fluff just gets to me every now and then and I have to shake my fist at the sky.

To each their own, indeed. :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SpacePenguin said:

Yeah, you're all good dude...not directed at you, nor at Gruden....I'd take him over Rivera anyday, personally. All the "sports media" fluff just gets to me every now and then and I have to shake my fist at the sky.

To each their own, indeed. :)

Cool enough, thanks.  I get the point about fluff. But in Jay's case he's been watching this team closely every week.  He's on every local radio show and podcast just about -- he can cite play after play from those games.  He still knows some of the personnel personally.  He started as somewhat of a skeptic of Howell but over time he's been sold.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SpacePenguin said:

I am no Jay Gruden but I will say this:

Sam is tough and competitive. And that's what we needs right now. We need competitiveness. Our offensive line is not playing that well right now. We need a quarterback with some toughness, a guy that can get out of trouble and make some tough throws. And Sam's doing that. He's taking a lot of sacks; we're leading the league in giving up sacks though. And Sam's plays a minor role in that part for holding the ball. He's young; he's still getting to know the EB offence. Things will get better as the season progresses. 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Cool enough, thanks.  I get the point about fluff. But in Jay's case he's been watching this team closely every week.  He's on every local radio show and podcast just about -- he can cite play after play from those games.  He still knows some of the personnel personally.  He started as somewhat of a skeptic of Howell but over time he's been sold.  

Jay easily one of the best for a fan to listen on all levels you hit. Must separate from him as a coach here I suppose, but that’s a choice. 

He’s easily my favorite, along with Cooley (when locked in) and to a lesser degree Paulsen (needs to stop worrying so much about what everyone thinks, but he’s young in the game). 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Jay easily one of the best for a fan to listen on all levels you hit. Must separate from him as a coach here I suppose, but that’s a choice. 

He’s easily my favorite, along with Cooley (when locked in) and to a lesser degree Paulsen (needs to stop worrying so much about what everyone thinks, but he’s young in the game). 

How often do you get an ex-coach studying his former teams games and talking at length about everything he saw.  

Jay IMO is awesome at digesting these games and talking about the schemes and what he liked and what he didn’t like. It’s very entertaining and informative. That’s why he keeps getting gig after gig doing this.

And specifically to the QB position. He played the spot himself. He’s been around a ton of QBs in his career. I put some stock in that he wasn’t sold about Howell before the season but he seemed to like him more and more as the season progressed. He’s similar to Cooley on that front 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'm not letting you drag me into an argument about an irrelevant bad coach who's most famous moment as coach was having his nipple twisted.  I will not do it.  (Ok, I've let it happen a million times.  But THIS ONE TIME I will not do it.) :P 

Feels like another dig at Howell considering he keeps referencing him as to growing pains in other interviews.  The roster otherwise is full of past starters aside from Forbes.  I believe we have played rookies the third least amount in the NFL so if there is a team who doesn't have youth learning as an excuse its this team.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, zCommander said:

I am no Jay Gruden but I will say this:

Sam is tough and competitive. And that's what we needs right now. We need competitiveness. Our offensive line is not playing that well right now. We need a quarterback with some toughness, a guy that can get out of trouble and make some tough throws. And Sam's doing that. He's taking a lot of sacks; we're leading the league in giving up sacks though. And Sam's plays a minor role in that part for holding the ball. He's young; he's still getting to know the EB offence. Things will get better as the season progresses. 

This. 

People are mad about the Harris picture of him smiling during the game but when was the picture taken because I was smiling when Sam was bringing us back. Its great to know that we have a QB who is never out of it. He leads the league in 4th quarter comebacks. And almost had another GWD. That was an exciting 3rd and early 4th quarter as we took over the game. 

Sam is proving to be the man and is getting this team out of trouble. Now, if Chase can develop into what we wanted on defense we could have a team. 

• Like 2