Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

More and more Im on board with this trade. Wentz is still only 29, played on a superbowl team, can run a bit,  and is tenacious,  will play thru injuries. Thought Frank Reich was gonna correct his mechanics and his school yard antics but didn’t. If we can get him to play in our system, quick reads with the occasional deep throws, he is an upgrade. 

Worst case he’s here for one year and hopefully we have a young qb waiting in the wings. We gave up a lot less than when we got Alex Smith. 

1 hour ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

So, we trade for a mental head case.

No more excuses. If we don’t make the playoffs in 22; Ron is fired.

If Wentz ends up like he did in Philly, Indy fire Ron.

I would still get a backup; probably in draft as TH is only a 3rd stringer.

Wentz better realize this is his last chance. No more being an asshole or a mental head case. Also, you better accept the fact the Manders will get a backup QB that can take your job; given your injury history.

Failure is not option for Carson or Ron. They fail and they are gone. 

I hope Carson overcomes the red flags but he and his coach only get once shot.

If this blows up in our faces like it did for Indy; clean house.

lol you are gonna be so disappointed a year from now when Rivera is just as secure in his job, Snyder is not feeling antsy about Rivera regardless of what happens. There’s too much other **** going on, he’d have to go 3-14 which even you know he won’t. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

So, here's the you can't win scenario:

You trade for Jimmy G.

You sign Tribusky to a big deal.

You sign Marriota to a big deal.

You trade a fortune in draft picks and players and hope somehow all 22 women lied about Watson and he is cleared legally and in Goodell's eyes.

You trade for Wentz.

You draft a QB you don't believe in at 11 (They still might do this)

Can you imagine a scenario that would make the fans happy?

• Thumb up 1

1. Colts weapons in the passing game weren't great last year. Basically just Michael Pittman. Monster run game though.

2. Washington is built like Indy. Good OL, strong defense. I would argue we could have better weapons for Wentz.

3. This is a 1-year rental on Wentz and a steep ass price to pay in 2022. BUT ... if he balls out this year, we have a franchise QB on super cheap contract with no guarantees for 2 more years. Some upside in that.

4. I use pick #11 to trade back. It's a deep draft. I no longer care as much about 2023 draft picks, although losing our 3rd this and next year does hurt. I trade back and try to recoup multiple picks and go WR, MLB, OL,

We won't have much cap space to do anything else this year unless we do some big restructures.

• Like 1

A lot of Carson's issues are in his head and not his ability to function as a quarterback.  In addition he has had concussion issues.  He thinks no one can tell him how to play

quarterback.  He is intelligent but he had issues getting along with players on the Eagles.  He needs to come to DC with a better attitude or else he will be one year and done.

5 minutes ago, zCommander said:

I am not trolling. You think I do. I don't. I have my opinion and you have yours. When was the last time I said you were trolling? I would think a discussion can be had with people that view things differently. 

There are differing views and difference of opinions being discussed here all the time.  For example, some think we got fleeced in this trade, that Wentz was going to be cut, etc. and then there's others like me who think it wasn't a bad trade and that there was little chance Wentz was going to be cut.  There's differing opinions on whether or not we're an attractive destination for a player like Bobby Wagner.  All sorts of different views on different topics.

But the Taylor Heineke stuff is just so wild, that it leads me to believe you can't even be serious.  I just feel like you're too smart of a dude to A. really think there are statistical, physical, basically any similarities between TH and Carson Wentz and B. that you weren't going to prompt a barrage of OMG WTF's by posting that.

I don't love it, but I don't hate it. It was only 6 years ago when I was saying to people "-x^&, we have to play this beast 2 times a year for the next 12 years!" Now, he's our QB- who would've thought? I like it a lot more than had we gone for a guy like Winston, Bridgewater and Mariotta, I will say that.

Wentz has had some solid seasons. What concerns me most about him is not his ability to play at a very respectable level, but his psyche and confidence seem to lack for where they need to be for a QB to perform at a consistently high level.

28 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Albert Breer on The Herd said he believes Wentz is just one move by Washington that is likely to be draft then evaluate 2023.  So he thinks it's like a multiple step process.  He also said as and OC you have to keep things simple for Wentz with a strong running game because he breaks down with too much pressure put on him like he did in Philly.

Yeah like I said Keim has been on Wentz as a possibility including this morning.  And he has said he thinks they'd still draft a QB -- first or 2nd.  In one podcast he even mentioned Wentz and Willis.  My gut is they trade down in the first now if they could.

Standig below also thinks a QB could still be in play 

Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 3.55.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 3.55.47 PM.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Random facts that may or may not mean something in tandem.

1. If there's one thing that Wentz performs exceptionally well at it's throwing the long ball.

2. Chris Olave praises McLaurin for being his mentor from his first day at Ohio State and they  text each other regularly to this day.

3. McLaurin desperately needs a partner in crime opposite him with breakaway speed.

4. Olave, who ran a sub 4.4 40 at the combine, is projected to go somewhere around the 10th pick.

5. The Commanders have the 11th pick in the draft.

6. Hmmm...

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

There are differing views and difference of opinions being discussed here all the time.  For example, some think we got fleeced in this trade, that Wentz was going to be cut, etc. and then there's others like me who think it wasn't a bad trade and that there was little chance Wentz was going to be cut.  There's differing opinions on whether or not we're an attractive destination for a player like Bobby Wagner.  All sorts of different views on different topics.

But the Taylor Heineke stuff is just so wild, that it leads me to believe you can't even be serious.  I just feel like you're too smart of a dude to A. really think there are statistical, physical, basically any similarities between TH and Carson Wentz and B. that you weren't going to prompt a barrage of OMG WTF's by posting that.

Let me put it this way. I don't see us building for the future if all you are doing is trying to chase the trophy every year. I thought Ron would be better than this. Guess not. If Wentz gives you 2 or 3 more wins than last year and a playoff berth and no more then that is not logical for me at all. Plus you just paid 28 mil to do that and now only have 6 mil left in cap space for the FA and gave up couple of picks too. I still think it was a desperation move and not a smart one. That's all. 

1 minute ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

1. If there's one thing that Wentz performs exceptionally well at it's throwing the long ball.

2. Chris Olave praises McLaurin for being his mentor from his first day at Ohio State and they  text each other regularly to this day.

3. McLaurin desperately needs a partner in crime opposite him with breakaway speed

4. Olave, who ran a sub 4.4 40 at the combine is projected to go somewhere around the 10th pick.

6. Hmmm...

I like Olave.  But IMO his teammate is even better.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

3. McLaurin desperately needs a partner in crime opposite him with breakaway speed.

4. Olave, who ran a sub 4.4 40 at the combine, is projected to go somewhere around the 10th pick.

6. Hmmm...

Does he?

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like Olave.  But IMO his teammate is even better.  

I like Wilson too I'm just not sure he'll be there at 11.

But either added to McLaurin, with Wildcat Wentz tossing hydrogen bombs would make for potentially the best pure deep threat tandem we've had since dare I say it...

Ever???

19 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

If Wentz and the Colts beat Jacksonville would he have been traded? I don't think so.

He would not have.  The owner was rumored to be done with Wentz.  While Wentz is rumored to be an asshole, the owner is also an asshole.  He's the one who forced the Colts to trade a 1st rounder for the bust Trent Richardson.

Supposedly the owner no-showed a 1-on-1 meeting with Wentz a month back to talk about their future.  Not trying to say Wentz is better than we think he is, just saying the directive to deal Wentz comes from the owner and not the coaches/FO.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Let me put it this way. I don't see us building for the future if all you are doing is trying to chase the trophy every year. I thought Ron would be better than this. Guess not. If Wentz gives you 2 or 3 more wins than last year and a playoff berth and no more then that is not logical for me at all. Plus you just paid 28 mil to do that and now only have 6 mil left in cap space for the FA and gave up couple of picks too. I still think it was a desperation move and not a smart one. That's all. 

Why not just say that? Vs. pretend Taylor's similar to him statistically?

I'm just not sure what a lot of you guys want.  Actually, I do know what a lot of fans want - but it's not logical.  We all want an elite QB or a promising rookie on a cheap contract.  But we've got the 11th pick in a draft full of question mark QB's and we've shot our shot at the elite QB's two offseason in a row to no avail.  Super Bowl or bust has a nice ring to it, but it's not realistic for us.  We've got a corny new name, the worst owner in sports, among the worst facilities and stadium in the league, a depleted fanbase that can't even half fill their stadium and generally a really awful and well deserved bad reputation.

Beyond all that, Ron owes it to the guys currently on the roster to get them a legitimate QB that can throw the football like a pro.  I'm not fully absolving him for how we got here, but at the end of the day - he doesn't have a whole lot work with and he went and got us a legitimate NFL starting QB and we still have the ability to make a move for a rookie should one we really like make their way to us.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

He would not have.  The owner was rumored to be done with Wentz.  While Wentz is rumored to be an asshole, the owner is also an asshole.  He's the one who forced the Colts to trade a 1st rounder for the bust Trent Richardson.

Supposedly the owner no-showed a 1-on-1 meeting with Wentz a month back to talk about their future.  Not trying to say Wentz is better than we think he is, just saying the directive to deal Wentz comes from the owner and not the coaches/FO.

The owner had Luck and then Manning. Wentz was bad the last two games but had an OK season.

Our we a better team today then yesterday?  I think so. I like the move. 

Edited by Redskins 2021