Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Career stats

Year
Team
CMP%
YDS
TD
INT
Rating

Career

Rank

Russell Wilson

Seattle Seahawks · Year 10

2021 stats: 14 games | 64.8 pct | 3,113 pass yds | 7.8 ypa | 25 pass TD | 6 INT | 183 rush yds | 2 rush TD | 6 fumbles

2020 final ranking: 6 | 2019: 3 | 2018: 6 | 2017: 5 | 2016: 9 | 2015: 4 | 2014: 8 | 2013: 6

Something was missing. Even in his first five starts before the thumb injury, the tape didn't back up Wilson's numbers. The athleticism and ability to create was not the same. He missed three starts and his first month back from thumb surgery was a mess, a big enough chunk of time to knock him out of the top 10. It was a hard year to grade. His rate stats wound up looking incredible, but his PFF grade fell off a cliff. (He was 20th this year, sixth in 2020.) The most confusing part was the last two weeks, when he and the Seahawks looked sensational. It was nice to see.

I see more than a few people suggesting (3) first round draft picks and more for a QB that was really good with some great seasons. He is 33 and last year looks like he is possibly declining. Is this really our best shot of being a competitive SB conversation team for the next 2-5 years? If it is then it is but the costs seems high on the trade side and I’m sure Mr. Wilson won’t be playing for less than 25 mil a year 🤷‍♂️.

seems like a large investment into a single player when I’m not sure it would make us a playoff team let alone a SB team… y’all are the experts on all this so if that’s the way to go then “ GO COMMANDER WILSON” 🤦🏼‍♂️ ,damn that sounds soooo bad 

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Interesting to listen to some within the national media about this team.  if what some (not all) of they think bleeds into what a veteran QB might think considering their options -- some think our defense stinks considering we are bottom dwellers statistically on that front.   

It just tells you how much media and even some fans really pay attention. Despite the final rankings before Covid and injuries really took hold the defense was actually really good from Green Bay through the first cowboys game. Once Landon made the switch to linebacker the defense was really good even without sweat or young for large stretches of that run. I crunched the numbers a while back for that stretch and they gave up 18.9 points per game which would’ve been good for second in the league for the year behind the bills and 292 yards per game also second in the league behind the bills. That’s again despite missing sweat and young for long stretches. And also while facing Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Russel Wilson, Derek Carr, and Dak Prescott in that stretch.

• Like 3

Russel Wilson has always been hot and cold. Sometimes he throws for 500 and 4 tuddys and other times he throws for 160 and 2 ints. But the only thing that makes him consistent is that he almost always keeps his team in the game. Idk how he does it, but he does it. 
my dream acquisition for us is Watson(I actually think Watson is better then mahomes. Yea call me crazy, but if you switch mahomes and watson  last year and the year before, there is no way mahomes would be able to put those numbers up with that awful Houston offense with no run game at all. Whereas Watson threw for 5k yards, 35+ tuddys, and like 71% completion! If Watson had Andy Reid and Kc players, they would be even better. If mahomes went to Houston, he wouldn’t shine half as bright.)

if Watson is a no go, then rodgers and Wilson are my next choice, but Wilson moreso. He’s younger  and has way more years left.

if neither of those 3 can be gotten, then I say just go with the draft, unless some crazy crap happens where a Herbert/burrow/Allen or even a Lawrence/Mac jones became available.

PLEASE GOD DO NOT GO FOR JIMMY G.

jimmy g is mediocre, I’m tired of us chasing mediocre qbs. Fitzpatrick, Alex smith, it just gets old

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Comrade Wolf said:
Career stats

Seattle Seahawks · Year 10

2021 stats: 14 games | 64.8 pct | 3,113 pass yds | 7.8 ypa | 25 pass TD | 6 INT | 183 rush yds | 2 rush TD | 6 fumbles

2020 final ranking: 6 | 2019: 3 | 2018: 6 | 2017: 5 | 2016: 9 | 2015: 4 | 2014: 8 | 2013: 6

Something was missing. Even in his first five starts before the thumb injury, the tape didn't back up Wilson's numbers. The athleticism and ability to create was not the same. He missed three starts and his first month back from thumb surgery was a mess, a big enough chunk of time to knock him out of the top 10. It was a hard year to grade. His rate stats wound up looking incredible, but his PFF grade fell off a cliff. (He was 20th this year, sixth in 2020.) The most confusing part was the last two weeks, when he and the Seahawks looked sensational. It was nice to see.

in the 4 games before the injury

TD-INT ratio 9-0

Yards per game: 261

Completion percentage 72.7

Adjusted completion percentage 76.9 -- narrowly beating his number on this from last year.

Listening to the guys who covered him which I've done a lot the last week or so, they thought he started strong, the injury screwed him, he came back sooner than the doctors recommended and wasn't right until the end of the season.  Seattle ended winning 4 of the last 6 games including beating Arizona in a big game that Arizona needed.  None of the reporters that covered Wilson thought he was declining.  They saw the injury as a one off event.  The reporter on Standig's podcast said the dude is elite and he would do anything if he were a team needing a QB to land him.

Having said that I feel like I am wasting my time a little by arguing this. For those who fear seeing Wilson wear burgundy and gold, I'd relax because you guys will very likely get your wish.

Not long ago he put up monster numbers wth PFF saying he deserved to be MVP. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2022/01/09/seahawks-win-38-30-to-spoil-cardinals-shot-at-nfc-west-title/49631147/

Seahawks win 38-30 to spoil Cardinals shot at NFC West title

AP

GLENDALE, Ariz. (AP) — Seattle's locker room was deafeningly loud in the aftermath of Sunday's impressive win, with the bass from some speakers rattling the concrete walls in the midst of constant cheers and laughter.

The Seahawks aren't going to the playoffs. They definitely still have their pride.

Russell Wilson threw three touchdown passes, Rashaad Penny ran for 190 yards and a touchdown, and the Seahawks spoiled a shot at the NFC West title for the Arizona Cardinals by beating them 38-30 on Sunday.

“I don’t think they're going to schedule a parade in Seattle,” Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said, grinning. “But right now, we don't really care about that. It was about putting it together, playing like we're capable, so that we can see the future.

“That was really, really fun.”

It was a back-and-forth game supplemented by a healthy dose of scoreboard watching. The Cardinals (11-6) were still in the running for the NFC West title with a win, especially since the 49ers beat the Rams.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-seattle-seahawks-qb-russell-wilson-pffs-most-valuable-player

Seattle Seahawks QB Russell Wilson named PFF's Most Valuable Player

The NFL’s Most Valuable Player award has never been PFF's favorite.

Quarterback is arguably the most important and influential position in all of team sports, and each year the discussion seems to get bogged down in quantifying the “value” component of the award instead of just giving the thing to the most outstanding player in the league in any given season.

In an effort to replace that value element with simply the best or most outstanding player at any position, we at PFF first pivoted to the Dwight Stephenson Award instead of handing out MVP honors. However, with the recent creation of our PFF WAR metric, we have now been able to actually add some tangible data to that previously intangible value.

This season, the data points to the fact that no player added greater value to their team than Russell Wilson did for the Seattle Seahawks.

Wilson ended the season comfortably ahead of Patrick Mahomes, Dak Prescott, Lamar Jackson, Kirk Cousins, among others. Reflecting the fact that quarterbacks are by far the most valuable players in football, the 23 highest WAR figures were all passers, with Tampa Bay‘s Chris Godwin coming in as the most valuable non-quarterback in the league.

...Only Ryan Tannehill — who missed more than a third of the season — ended the year with a higher PFF grade than Wilson, whose mark of 91.2 tied with Drew Brees for the second-best mark in the league. Some will argue that Wilson never had a signature run as strong as that from Lamar Jackson, but it’s important to compare the situations surrounding both quarterbacks.

While Jackson had an entire offense built around his strengths and had a coaching staff that embraced analytics to extend drives and steal fine winning margins, Wilson was dealing with a situation that consistently put him behind the eight ball then asked him to dig the team out of a hole. The fact that he was able to do just that as consistently as he did only stands testament to his MVP-caliber season.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Having said that I feel like I am wasting my time a little by arguing this. For those who fear seeing Wilson wear burgundy and gold, I'd relax because you guys will very likely get your wish.

Not long ago he put up monster numbers wth PFF saying he deserved to be MVP. 

I have no opinion on if he comes here or not to be honest. I can find articles for both sides of literally any point on any subject on the internet so all us posting a punch of opinion pieces isn’t helping answer my question,I was asking if you and others thought “honestly “ that getting Russell Wilson (at the reported trade cost) was the only “realistic” QB option this off-season to make us paloff or SB contenders for the next 3-5 years? Not sure realistic is the correct choice of a word there…

im no expert so hence why I asked the question, I apologize if I offended you somehow. 

36 minutes ago, Comrade Wolf said:

I have no opinion on if he comes here or not to be honest. I can find articles for both sides of literally any point on any subject on the internet so all us posting a punch of opinion pieces isn’t helping answer my question,I was asking if you and others thought “honestly “ that getting Russell Wilson (at the reported trade cost) was the only “realistic” QB option this off-season to make us paloff or SB contenders for the next 3-5 years? Not sure realistic is the correct choice of a word there…

im no expert so hence why I asked the question, I apologize if I offended you somehow. 

Thanks but you didn't offend me.  None of these debates offend me, its just harmless debate about QBs, all opinion, all in fun.  When I get emotional on this topic its not directed to the poster but to the QB situation specifically.  So please don't take any of my emotion on Wilson or any other QB directed in a personal manner -- the emotion is squarely about the QB. 

I for example slammed Darnold a lot in last years QB thread.  And I do recall one poster in particular that loved Darnold and kept posting about we need to get him.  I haven't once called that dude out after he flammed out in Carolina.  :ols:.  Because heck it wasn't about people pushing Darnold -- it was about me not wanting Darnold.  People of course can push for or against whomever floats their boat as they should.  

My comment about those who are worried about Wilson wasn't a point directed squarely at you.  There are a bunch of people who don't want Wilson.  

I was just thinking out loud when I wrote that post which is i've spent a lot of time pushing Wilson and I am likely wasting my time doing so because the odds are thin that he comes here.  And If I didn't want wilson here, I'd chill because I doubt it happening.

I think the real chance of something happening is with Jimmy G.  So anyone here who has angst about that, I would indeed worry.  😀

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

6 hours ago, VirginiaVibes said:

I find it interesting that people want Huntley but are opposed to Corral because of his size? They are the exact same size and weight. Huntley is 6'1, 205 and Matt Corral is either 6'1 or 6'2 and 205.

I like Willis more but have no problem if we end with either Willis or Corral. 

• Like 2

Is there anything contractual in Seattle that would inform us as to when they would be more likely to trade Wilson? Roster bonuses or guaranteed salary before the draft, for instance? 

It might actually help us if he isn’t moved until after the draft. We take a QB they like and then pass him and three future 1sts, and Philly no longer has 3 firsts in one year at that point. 

4 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Is there anything contractual in Seattle that would inform us as to when they would be more likely to trade Wilson? Roster bonuses or guaranteed salary before the draft, for instance? 

It might actually help us if he isn’t moved until after the draft. We take a QB they like and then pass him and three future 1sts, and Philly no longer has 3 firsts in one year at that point. 

Russell Wilson Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac   

YEAR   AGE BASE SALARY SIGNING ROSTER RESTRUCTURE CAP HIT DEAD CAP YEARLY CASH
2019 Contract details by year 31 $5,000,000 $19,200,000 - $2,086,668 $26,286,668 $78,286,668 $35,000,000($35,000,000)  
2020 Contract details by year 32 $18,000,000 $13,000,000 - - $31,000,000 $70,000,000 $53,000,000($88,000,000)  
2021 Contract details by year 33 $19,000,000 $13,000,000 - - $32,000,000 $58,000,000 $19,000,000($107,000,000)  

POTENTIAL OUT: 2022, 3 YR, $107,000,000; $26,000,000 DEAD CAP

2022 Contract details by year 34 $19,000,000 $13,000,000 $5,000,000 - $37,000,000 $26,000,000 $24,000,000($131,000,000)
2023 Contract details by year 35 $22,000,000 $13,000,000 $5,000,000 - $40,000,000 $13,000,000 $27,000,000($158,000,000)
2024 Free Agent Year 36 UFA  

Way I read it, $37 mill in 2022 and $40 mill in 2023.  Need to check out the link though as some of it didn't paste on here.  :) 

• Thanks 1

Past experiences with this franchise trading for older QBs are enough to make me skeptical of how well it'd work out, not that I can think of any of them that I was into at the time. I guess I was indifferent about Mark Brunell, likely some mix of naivety, faith in Gibbs, and hating Patrick Ramsey...but I digress. Having any expectation that Wilson wouldn't be a rehash of Donovan McNabb is beyond me.

Now, this is more an indication of how traumatic being a fan of this franchise is than any real criticism of Russell McNabb or Alex Mark Ryan. I just think whoever they bring in will get hurt or regress due to age.

I want a rookie QB in the first or second, not because I believe they will succeed, but because it'll only waste one draft pick. We can watch Trubisky suck it up until the rookie is ready...should be about the time that Rivera gets fired. I think its time for the next Zorn/Gruden hire right?

Edited by SpacePenguin
  • Like 1
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1

23 minutes ago, SpacePenguin said:

Past experiences with this franchise trading for older QBs are enough to make me skeptical of how well it'd work out, not that I can think of any of them that I was into at the time, even. Having any faith that Wilson wouldn't be a rehash of Donovan McNabb is beyond me.

Now, this is more an indication of how traumatic being a fan of this franchise is than any real criticism of Russell McNabb or Alex Mark Ryan. I just think whoever they bring in will get hurt or regress due to age.

I want a rookie QB in the first or second, not because I believe they will succeed, but because it'll only waste one draft pick. We can watch Trubisky suck it up until the rookie is ready...should be about the time that Rivera gets fired. I think its time for the next Zorn/Gruden hire right?

no it's not, cause while the next guy should be a newcomer based on history, it hasn't been four or more years