Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

19 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

If Snyder get involved we will over pay for big name. He want this rebranding to go well.

At what point do the packers refuse to say no to a Rodgers trade. If Snyder give up 5 first round picks. 

I would not do it but I think he would.

I’m pretty sure you can only trade future picks from the next 3 years. Certainly not 5 anyway.

10 minutes ago, Jds0912 said:

I don’t think Dan has the patience this time for a rookie qb. I doubt any of these prospects are the splash he wants to make. So that would pretty much leave Rodgers, Watson, and Wilson. I don’t think it’ll be Watson bc of the obvious stuff and I don’t think it will be Rodgers bc we’re not that lucky. That leaves Wilson as the most probable qb Dan will try to get and he will pay whatever it takes. If it happens it will be the biggest trade in nfl history guaranteed. 

QBs with no trade clauses hold a fair degree of power. 

I can see Dan letting us offer guaranteed contract money virtually impossible to turn down to be honest.

• Thumb up 2

28 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I don't disagree with that. 

BUT, if they can't get Rodgers/Wilson/Watson, they have to get SOMEBODY better than they have.

Now, please do keep in mind Jimmy G. has gotten a team to the SB, and was playing well until he had a horrendous throw and a brain fart against Dallas, but they still won.  

So you CAN win, and win in the playoffs, with him.  You have to have a good team, but it's possible.  

Vs. with TH, where it just isn't possible.  

IMO it's not all that accurate to say that Jimmy G. has gotten a team to the SB. I think it's more accurate to say that he was on a team that got to the SB. In entire SB run he passed for 2 TDs and 3 INTs. So far in this playoff run he's had 0 TDs and 1 INT but got bailed out by their running game and their defense (just like in their SB run). Remember, this is a Dallas team that completely outclassed us in our two matchups with them.

I still say Jimmy G. would possibly add another couple of wins, but he's not going to carry a team and in order to go far he needs an outstanding cast around him as well as help from a great defense. Which we don't have.

I'd be ok with it if we got him as a FA bridge for a rookie. But I'm completely uninterested in giving up draft picks for him. And if the rumor that SF will be asking for a 1st round pick for him is true, all I do at that is throw my head back and laugh because in no universe is Jimmy G. worth a 1st round pick.

I'd MUCH rather go with a cheap-ish FA like Trubisky or Mariota and then draft a QB in the 1st round than trade draft capital for Jimmy G.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I'd take Jimmy G. over anything we have.  

Look, let's put this stake in the ground: They HAVE to get a new starting QB. The projected starter for 2021, Fitz, won't be retained, and they absolutely know that TH (nor Kyle Allen) can even be a stop gap.  So a warm human being who is not currently on the team will be the day 1 starter.

With that stated, the question is, can they get one of the elite QBs: Rodgers, Wilson, Watson?  If yes, you do it.  If no, you have to move to one of 2 options:

1. Mitch/Teddy/Marcus (which costs you nothing) + draft future QB in the fist round, probably having to trade up.  TH CANNOT and WILL NOT be the "stop gap" guy.  They WILL bring in somebody better, and all three of Mitch/Teddy/Marcus would be better.  

2. Trade for second-tier starter, options could be Carr, Jimmy or Baker.  ** In that case, I STILL wouldn't have a problem if they signed Mitch/Teddy/Marcus as a backup. Though TH could possibly be your backup.  

So, my question to you all: 

Would you prefer Option 1 or Option 2? Do you want the Red Pill or the Blue Pill?

Mitch + Pickett vs. Garoppolo?  Who you got?

I can tell you that immediate results, option 2 would be better because Jimmy/Carr/Baker are all better than Mitch/Teddy/Marcus, and certainly ahead of any rookie.  

If they win the SB, they might keep Jimmy and sit Lance another year, or possibly even trade Lance.  But that's a long way (and a REALLY long shot) from happening.  

Considering all they gave up to get Lance; that would seem unlikely.  I think the only way they move on from Lance; is if they get Aaron Rodgers.  Lance would go to Green Bay.

1 hour ago, Boss_Hogg said:

Per JP's tweet, Dan Snyder getting involved with the QB search again is not surprising. I don't know why I continue to believe the drivel that Dan has "learned" and that he's "taking a step back"

Total nonsense. What a mess and a disaster of an organization. 

It's always possible with Dan so I am not discounting it.

But I heard Mitchell talk about it.  He's talked about it before.  He doesn't come off as a dude with sources.  He comes off like he's speculating.  And his speculation has some logic to it so he might be right.

He's said multiple time for weeks that he thinks with the whole rebranding drill and the current state of the franchise -- pushes them to make a splash at the QB spot.  He doesn't think its easy to sell a veteran reclamation type project.  He thinks they need some sizzle with what they do so that would be either getting a big name veteran or a draft pick.  He thinks you can sell a young QB better than a retread veteran. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Well it depends on what they mean by Dan being involved. When a team is about to invest heavily in a player, it makes sense for the owner to have to approve, I mean hes gonna be here long after anyone else if it falls apart. But if he's actually like scouting draft prospects himself, yeah that would be a disaster obviously.

Say what you will about Dan though, but from day one he's understood how important it is to have a GUY at QB and he's always tried to get one. Just hasn't really ever picked the right guy.

NO NO NO NO NO.  Dan is not allowed to talk to anybody, ever, about anything.  Period.  If he even enters the building, he's bringing disfunction to the organization.  

I mean, CLEARLY Dan has been a horrendous owner.  But as the owner of a multi-billion dollar organization, if you don't think he's going to get involved in the hiring and compensation of the most important and expensive employee, you're mad.  

The other thing is, I don't think Dan NEEDS to be in Ron's ear about needing a QB.  Funny story: I had a guy who used to cut my lawn. He was my personal trainer and had a side lawn care business.  He was also kindof a train wreck.  He parked his trailer with all of his lawn care equipment out front of his girlfriend's house.  Well, the girlfriend (who was SMOKING hot, a really nice woman, and became a good friend of my at the time girlfriend now wife), found out he was cheating on her.  And the girlfriend became an ex-girlfriend pretty quickly.  And she had his trailer towed away.  (It was illegally parked. So she had a point.  She also didn't like the fact he was screwing one of his co-worker trainers on the side. And she had a point with that also.  But I digress.)

This guy comes to cut my lawn, not with his industrial equipment, but with a $40 electric lawnmower job because that's all he could afford. Now, I didn't live in Versailles, but what was a 20 minute job with the right equipment turned into an hour job with the wrong equipment.  

Now, clearly I could have told him, "Hey, you need to either get your trailer out of the impound lot or buy new commercial grade equipment."  But did I really have to?  I mean, even he had already figured that one out.  The harder part was getting the money to do it.  (In the end, I asked his es if it was ok for me to give him an advance so he could get his stuff out of the impound lot because he looked so pathetic trying to cut lawns with this little toy mower, and she agreed only if she could come take a video of him first.  Which, I guess was a little mean, but she got her "revenge" and he got his stuff back, and we all moved on with life.)

54 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

You could be right.  But they are launching a new brand in two weeks.  Snyder at his core is a Marketer.  I would be surprised if he wasn’t involved for business reasons alone.  It would be out of character. 

Yeah, I'm sure Dan would LOVE to roll out Russell Wilson on 2/2/22 as the new QB of the team along with the new name.  

But, to my point earlier, that just makes sense.  So, of course he would want to do that. 31 other owners would also.  I'm absolutely sure they are burning up the phones trying to get a trade done.

HOWEVER, I'm also 100% convinced they would be doing that if they didn't have the announcement on 2/22.  

They need a QB who can play.  They don't have one. They have to find one.  If it aligns with the marketing thing, great.  If not, doesn't really matter.  

53 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Garopolo is a good QB. Not really a needle mover in any way, but he is better than we have for sure. The question is how much better and is it enough of an upgrade to warrant the investment(both financially and draft pick wise).

If we were to sign Garopolo as a FA I'd still draft someone at 11.

Well, he wouldn't be a FA, since he has another 2 years on his contract. So you're probably trading #11 for him.  

He is light-years ahead of anybody we have here.  The question is, can you commit to him, because if you trade for him, you probably have to extend him pretty soon, because he only has 2 years left.

What you could do is trade for him, extend him 2 more years, so he's locked in until 2025.  Then you KNOW when you need to find a replacement.  You start throwing stones at the wall in 2023 and 2024 to make damn sure you have the answer by the time his contract is up.  

That would keep you respectable for the next 4 years.  With the right pieces around him, you're competing for the playoffs every year, and you can probably win a game or two in the playoffs.  

That's not bad while continuing the search for a younger guy with a higher ceiling...

Just an option. not saying i would do it. Just a thought. 

35 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

If Snyder get involved we will over pay for big name. He want this rebranding to go well.

At what point do the packers refuse to say no to a Rodgers trade. If Snyder give up 5 first round picks. 

I would not do it but I think he would.

So first of all, according to league rules, (and I looked this up, I can't find the rule specifically, but articles referencing the rule, you can only trade picks from the next 2 NFL drafts.

So, the most #1's you can trade (unless you already have multiple #1's in future drafts) is 3.  The current year and the next 2 years.  Same with picks in every other round.

So, could DAN force Ron to offer 3 firsts, 3 seconds, and 3 thirds to GB for Rodgers? 

Yes.  Technically he could.

Would he?  I doubt it.  I think even Dan knows that would be a disaster.

Would they trade 3 firsts and Daron Payne for Rodgers?  I think they would.  I also think that might not be an overpayment assuming Rodgers agrees to play for 5 more years assuming health and him staying effective. 

It's really hard to say WHAT would be an overpayment for Rodgers or Wilson. You're getting a HOF QB who's still playing at a high level and immediately makes you a conference contender.  There is really no price for that. 

Watson is a different case because of the legal issues.  

1 minute ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Considering all they gave up to get Lance; that would seem unlikely.  I think the only way they move on from Lance; is if they get Aaron Rodgers.  Lance would go to Green Bay.

Maybe.  But if JImmy G. wins a SB, you just can't let him leave for a guy that you have no real idea if he can play.  That would be unfair to the team.  

My guess is they keep both.  

Or, they just have to cut their losses and trade Lance for at least a first, and shrug and move on with life.  

45 minutes ago, mistertim said:

IMO it's not all that accurate to say that Jimmy G. has gotten a team to the SB. I think it's more accurate to say that he was on a team that got to the SB. In entire SB run he passed for 2 TDs and 3 INTs. So far in this playoff run he's had 0 TDs and 1 INT but got bailed out by their running game and their defense (just like in their SB run). Remember, this is a Dallas team that completely outclassed us in our two matchups with them.

I still say Jimmy G. would possibly add another couple of wins, but he's not going to carry a team and in order to go far he needs an outstanding cast around him as well as help from a great defense. Which we don't have.

I'd be ok with it if we got him as a FA bridge for a rookie. But I'm completely uninterested in giving up draft picks for him. And if the rumor that SF will be asking for a 1st round pick for him is true, all I do at that is throw my head back and laugh because in no universe is Jimmy G. worth a 1st round pick.

I'd MUCH rather go with a cheap-ish FA like Trubisky or Mariota and then draft a QB in the 1st round than trade draft capital for Jimmy G.

I don't disagree with any of that.  

I would also probably go with a Mitch/Tedd/Marcus/Winston guy and then be aggressive and trade up to get the top QB on their board.  But that also means they probably are 8-9, 9-8 next year. Maybe we're ok with that.  Unelss they just start the rookie, in which case you're probably looking at 6-11, 5-12.  

I think Jimmy pushes you to a 10 or 11 win team.  Not GREAT, but definitely better. 

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He's said multiple time for weeks that he thinks with the whole rebranding drill and the state of the franchise that they need to make a splash at the QB spot.  He doesn't think its easy to sell a veteran reclamation type project.  He thinks they need some sizzle with what they do so that would be either getting a big name veteran or a draft pick.  He thinks you can sell a young QB better than a retread veteran. 

And he's not wrong with any of that.

• Thumb up 1

39 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I don't disagree with any of that.  

I would also probably go with a Mitch/Tedd/Marcus/Winston guy and then be aggressive and trade up to get the top QB on their board.  But that also means they probably are 8-9, 9-8 next year. Maybe we're ok with that.  Unelss they just start the rookie, in which case you're probably looking at 6-11, 5-12.  

I think Jimmy pushes you to a 10 or 11 win team.  Not GREAT, but definitely better. 

And he's not wrong with any of that.

Yeah to me Mitchell is just stating the obvious.   He's likely on the money.  But in this case Ron's desire to shoot big along with Dan's desire likely converge.   Which I don't mind as long as Ron/FO makes the move. 

Big name QB would be a splash.  You maybe could see one of the young QBs as a splash.

BM beats the same drum for like 20 years about the team.  To him, basically every coaching regime is the problem.  I recall his rants back in the day about Kyle Shanahan among others. They don't adjust in game while their opponents adjust well.  He's big on they don't coach up the backups.  Excuses don't matter becuase every team has the same hurdles more or less.   While he claims he doesn't think much of Snyder, he also likes to say Snyder isn't on the field and throws it back on the coaches.   So I am braced for months of hits on Rivera from him. :ols:

I feel a bit bad for Rivera because he's inherited this angst from fans and the media that comes from mishaps that precede him.  But he also walked into this pickle to some extent by playing the Qb cards the way he has.  Though I get the logic of playing it this way but now he has to back himself out of this corner. 

You got a zillion teams it seems looking for a QB.  Some with more draft capital than they have.   And the teams that some here like to make fun of like the NY Giants are arguably still more attractive destinations because of location and they are a franchise without all the off field baggage/sleaze attached to it and aren't bleeding fans, etc. 

And the WFT has a VERY cynical fan base especially when it comes to QBs.   We used to have company as far as other teams being right there with us as the jokes of the NFL as to being failures at the QB spot for decades and more.  i think we kind of now own that QB nightmare spot.  If ESPN did a 30-30 about misfires at the QB spot, I think they'd pick us as the team to feature.   So if we take on any of these reclamation QBs, some of whom are league punchlines (whether deserved or not) I don't expect them to get the benefit of the doubt from many fans where they'd patiently see it as step 1 before step 2 which would be to draft a QB.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

I really don't want a QB that will let us tread water. If we have a rookie that we believe in too then that's fine, but I don't want an 8 or 9 win season with another Alex Smith, Mark Brunell situation that maybe let's us sneak into the playoffs. I'd rather have a 3 win season that sets us up for a franchise prospect. Heck, I'd even rather go with the best rookie we can get plus Heinike and let Heinike start if the rookie needs seasoning.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

NO NO NO NO NO.  Dan is not allowed to talk to anybody, ever, about anything.  Period.  If he even enters the building, he's bringing disfunction to the organization.  

I mean, CLEARLY Dan has been a horrendous owner.  But as the owner of a multi-billion dollar organization, if you don't think he's going to get involved in the hiring and compensation of the most important and expensive employee, you're mad.  

The other thing is, I don't think Dan NEEDS to be in Ron's ear about needing a QB.  Funny story: I had a guy who used to cut my lawn. He was my personal trainer and had a side lawn care business.  He was also kindof a train wreck.  He parked his trailer with all of his lawn care equipment out front of his girlfriend's house.  Well, the girlfriend (who was SMOKING hot, a really nice woman, and became a good friend of my at the time girlfriend now wife), found out he was cheating on her.  And the girlfriend became an ex-girlfriend pretty quickly.  And she had his trailer towed away.  (It was illegally parked. So she had a point.  She also didn't like the fact he was screwing one of his co-worker trainers on the side. And she had a point with that also.  But I digress.)

This guy comes to cut my lawn, not with his industrial equipment, but with a $40 electric lawnmower job because that's all he could afford. Now, I didn't live in Versailles, but what was a 20 minute job with the right equipment turned into an hour job with the wrong equipment.  

Now, clearly I could have told him, "Hey, you need to either get your trailer out of the impound lot or buy new commercial grade equipment."  But did I really have to?  I mean, even he had already figured that one out.  The harder part was getting the money to do it.  (In the end, I asked his es if it was ok for me to give him an advance so he could get his stuff out of the impound lot because he looked so pathetic trying to cut lawns with this little toy mower, and she agreed only if she could come take a video of him first.  Which, I guess was a little mean, but she got her "revenge" and he got his stuff back, and we all moved on with life.)

Yeah, I'm sure Dan would LOVE to roll out Russell Wilson on 2/2/22 as the new QB of the team along with the new name.  

But, to my point earlier, that just makes sense.  So, of course he would want to do that. 31 other owners would also.  I'm absolutely sure they are burning up the phones trying to get a trade done.

HOWEVER, I'm also 100% convinced they would be doing that if they didn't have the announcement on 2/22.  

They need a QB who can play.  They don't have one. They have to find one.  If it aligns with the marketing thing, great.  If not, doesn't really matter.  

Well, he wouldn't be a FA, since he has another 2 years on his contract. So you're probably trading #11 for him.  

He is light-years ahead of anybody we have here.  The question is, can you commit to him, because if you trade for him, you probably have to extend him pretty soon, because he only has 2 years left.

What you could do is trade for him, extend him 2 more years, so he's locked in until 2025.  Then you KNOW when you need to find a replacement.  You start throwing stones at the wall in 2023 and 2024 to make damn sure you have the answer by the time his contract is up.  

That would keep you respectable for the next 4 years.  With the right pieces around him, you're competing for the playoffs every year, and you can probably win a game or two in the playoffs.  

That's not bad while continuing the search for a younger guy with a higher ceiling...

Just an option. not saying i would do it. Just a thought. 

So first of all, according to league rules, (and I looked this up, I can't find the rule specifically, but articles referencing the rule, you can only trade picks from the next 2 NFL drafts.

So, the most #1's you can trade (unless you already have multiple #1's in future drafts) is 3.  The current year and the next 2 years.  Same with picks in every other round.

So, could DAN force Ron to offer 3 firsts, 3 seconds, and 3 thirds to GB for Rodgers? 

Yes.  Technically he could.

Would he?  I doubt it.  I think even Dan knows that would be a disaster.

Would they trade 3 firsts and Daron Payne for Rodgers?  I think they would.  I also think that might not be an overpayment assuming Rodgers agrees to play for 5 more years assuming health and him staying effective. 

It's really hard to say WHAT would be an overpayment for Rodgers or Wilson. You're getting a HOF QB who's still playing at a high level and immediately makes you a conference contender.  There is really no price for that. 

Watson is a different case because of the legal issues.  

Maybe.  But if JImmy G. wins a SB, you just can't let him leave for a guy that you have no real idea if he can play.  That would be unfair to the team.  

My guess is they keep both.  

Or, they just have to cut their losses and trade Lance for at least a first, and shrug and move on with life.  

Pretty sure Jimmy G is done in SF unless he leads them to a SB win. God help us if he's our next QB...SF is gonna try and milk a high pick out of whomever wants him because they'll know the other team is desperate (Denver, WFT, Carolina???). Hell, if two teams are interested, John Lynch will have us in a bidding war. I'm confident RR wouldn't get too caught up in a situation like that. 

I got to listening to Logan Paulsen's take on QBs.  i don't take him or anyone as an expert on this but its fun for me to listen to different takes.  It's clear though that he hasn't watched a ton of games of these guys just yet.

at 11, he'd be cool with Corral, Pickett, Willis. 

Pickett:  decent arm, has some big play ability, decision making is questionable

Willis is a bit up and down but has high upside

Corral:  loved him in one game, not the other 2.  the 2 he mentioned I've watched, they were his worst games -- Alabama, Tennessee. 

Sees Ridder as a late first, early 2nd round pick.  Like i do, he questions his decision making.  Has a low release, leads to batted balls

Doesn't care for Strong mainly because of lack mobilty and pocket presence.  I've said the same about those two weakness.  But I disagree with him on the 2nd point which is his accuracy is inflated by short-safe throwes.   I think Strong can make all the throws.  But he's certainly not mobile. 

Doesn't seem like he watched Howell since he didn't mention him

He thinks, as many of us do, that seeing them play together in the Senior Bowl would be huge. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Pretty sure Jimmy G is done in SF unless he leads them to a SB win. God help us if he's our next QB...SF is gonna try and milk a high pick out of whomever wants him because they'll know the other team is desperate (Denver, WFT, Carolina???). Hell, if two teams are interested, John Lynch will have us in a bidding war. I'm confident RR wouldn't get too caught up in a situation like that. 

If we want Jimmy G we can get him we have the cap room. I don't think Carolina has the draft picks for him. 

I dont know what the cap looks like for those two teams. I think Denver wants someone bigger and If Sydner is involved we might be looking at someone bigger as well.

Edited by Redskins 2021

How do we know the "non football people" isn't the marketing team.

Heck, with a new name coming, I am sure everyone in the building wants a new QB to tie it to.

Realistically they need the following this offseason:

QB

WR

RG

RB

MLB

CB

The other starting spots are basically filled.  You could even argue that CB and RG are already on the roster and WR is a low priority (I disagree but whatever).

Trading a bunch of picks for a legit, top 10 QB, signing a MLB in FA, then drafting / filling out the rest of the roster with depth and you have a team that could win 9-12 games per year.

• Thumb up 2

2 minutes ago, daveakl said:

How do we know the "non football people" isn't the marketing team.

Heck, with a new name coming, I am sure everyone in the building wants a new QB to tie it to.

Realistically they need the following this offseason:

QB

WR

RG

RB

MLB

CB

The other starting spots are basically filled.  You could even argue that CB and RG are already on the roster and WR is a low priority (I disagree but whatever).

Trading a bunch of picks for a legit, top 10 QB, signing a MLB in FA, then drafting / filling out the rest of the roster with depth and you have a team that could win 9-12 games per year.

I agree with an upper level Qb we are 9 to 12 win team. If we had Stafford last year we probably would have won 9 to 12 games.

1 minute ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I agree with an upper level Qb we are 9 to 12 win team. If we had Stafford last year we probably would have won 9 to 12 games.

If Covid didn't hit the way it did we probably would have won 8 or 9 this year.

That 1st Philly game and then the Dallas game on 4 days rest were ridiculous.  Pretty sure we get one of those two.

Then that whole period of practice, who could and who couldn't, trying to install things, coaches being out, etc. leading up to the second Philly game? sheesh!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

https://www.the33rdteam.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-senior-bowl-qbs/

National Team – Coached by the New York Jets

Kenny Pickett, Pittsburgh

Full Scouting Report

What we know: The 6-3 passer broke out in 2021 with the help of Biletnikoff-winning WR Jordan Addison, winning the ACC Player of the Year and Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award. A highly-accurate passer from an athletic family, he won his first ever start against #2 Miami and never looked back. With relatively clean mechanics, outstanding anticipation, and few warts, he has the pole position to be the first QB selected. 

What the analytics say: Pickett led all draft-eligible FBS QBs with a 76.7% adjusted completion percentage while being the only passer in the top 10 with an average attempt farther than 10 yards downfield. No NFL QB since at least 2010 has hit both of those marks in a season (min 100 attempts), but the short list of recent college QBs to manage them includes Joe Burrow, Baker Mayfield (x2), Justin Fields, Zach Wilson, and Kyler Murray. 

What we want to see in Mobile: Outside of closed-door conversations about his several significant injuries, can Pickett move through his progression cleanly and effectively? Are his hands really among the smallest ever? 

Carson Strong, Nevada

Full Scouting Report

What we know: With ideal size at the position and a cannon for an arm, the aptly-named Strong will make some throws during practice that will leave scouts drooling. Unfortunately, some long-term knee issues have made statuesque a compliment. A tough competitor who can create throwing windows with his arm, he can get a bit jumpy under pressure but still stands to be a huge boom-or-bust prospect this year.

What the analytics say: With a 2.52-second average time to throw, Strong ranked 9th of all draft-eligible FBS QBs this season in getting the ball out, partially due to his 39 sacks (5th-most) but also due to Nevada’s FBS-low 10.2% play-action rate.

What we want to see in Mobile: Does he have any mobility? Can he display a mechanically-consistent release without relying on solely arm talent?

Desmond Ridder, Cincinnati

Full Scouting Report

What we know: All he does is win. With a career record of 44-5, Ridder ranks third all-time for career wins and famously became the first QB to take a Group of Five team to the College Football Playoff. With 6’4 size and plus mobility, he’s an excellent decision maker and distributor. The knock is an important one – his accuracy and ball placement is noticeably spotty, a huge turn-off to teams that will compromise on everything but. For Ridder, an accurate Senior Bowl is worth its weight in gold. 

What the analytics say: Of the entire FBS, 64 QBs threw at least 50 passes over 20+ yards in 2021. Only three, including Desmond Ridder, threw no interceptions on these passes. 

What we want to see in Mobile: Does his accuracy improve when there’s no progression to go through or rushers in his face?

American Team – Coached by the Detroit Lions

Malik Willis, Liberty

Full Scouting Report

What we know: The latest in a wave of extremely athletic passers to hit the league, Willis is a former Auburn recruit who has taken Liberty to new heights. With a shifty running style, surprising accuracy, and sufficient arm strength, Willis has been a Twitter darling all season. He’s as raw as they come, with mechanics and especially footwork will cause NFL coaches to wince while his decision-making can come close to hero ball. Some team will take a chance on his athletic talent, but his performance at the Senior Bowl will determine how high.

What the analytics say: As a runner, Willis led all QBs with 0.6 missed tackles forced per attempt, with only UNC’s Sam Howell (0.48) and Akron’s DJ Irons (0.46) even remotely close. Even Lamar Jackson managed only 0.25 over his amazing collegiate career. 

What we want to see in Mobile: Has he worked on his throwing motion? It’s naïve to expect a finished product, but any signs of improvement will speak to a coachable, hardworking player who can be molded. 

Sam Howell, UNC

Full Scouting Report

What we know: An ultra-competitive QB who shifted to a run-heavy quarterbacking style after losing four skill-position players to the NFL Draft, Howell will many several comparisons to Baker Mayfield throughout the draft process. He makes for a difficult evaluation due to his Air Raid offense, backpedaling in shotgun drops and using his physical running ability as a check down. With a history of award after award, he’ll be tough to bet against. 

What the analytics say: Howell’s 0.48 missed tackles forced per attempt are discussed above, but he also ranked 6th in the ACC for completion percentage (62.5%) and finished 2020 with the conference’s top mark for yards per attempt (10.3). 

What we want to see in Mobile: How clean and confident does he look under center, through his drops, and reading a progression?

Bailey Zappe, Western Kentucky

Full Scouting Report

What we know: Pronounced ZAP-ee, the grad transfer from FCS Houston Baptist only just completed to most productive season in NCAA history, setting FBS single-season records for passing yards and passing TDs. Although he definitely benefitted from WKU’s QB-friendly scheme, Zappe has a quick release and shows excellent touch on his throws for their timing-based offense. With only a 17-34 career record (9-5 in FBS), Zappe will have to answer questions about his role, but a strong showing will catapult him up draft boards.

What the analytics say: Ranking 5th among FBS QBs with an NFL passer rating of 118.5, Zappe passed for 294 first downs, beating out second-place Will Rogers and third-place Bryce Young by 33 and 57 first downs, respectively. 

What we want to see in Mobile: Can he anticipate throwing windows and hit receivers in stride with good placement?

• Like 1

I'm just posting this to kind of elaborate on VoR's earlier post and to set out my own thoughts.

These are our main options and outcomes as I see it.

Option Starter Back up 3rd String
(1) Big Trade Rodgers/Wilson/Watson Heinicke ?
(2) Small Trade + FA Baker/Carr/Garoppalo Bridgewater/Mariota/Trubisky   Heinicke
(3) Small Trade + Draft   Baker/Carr/Garoppalo Heinicke Mid Round Pick?
(4) FA + Draft Bridgewater/Mariota/Trubisky   1st Round Pick/Heinicke Heinicke/1st Round Pick
(5) FA only Bridgewater/Mariota/Trubisky Heinicke ?
(6) Draft only 1st Round Pick/Heinicke Heinicke/1st Round Pick ?

While I have argued that option 1 won't happen, it's not completely impossible. If we were to end up with Wilson I think I'd cry with happiness. It will cost a lot of resources though, so other positions may suffer.

Options 3, 5 or 6 could happen, but are my least favourite as depth could become a problem in the event of an injury.

Option 2 gives us some decent depth without giving up too many resources. This is my second favourite option.

Option 4 is probably my preferred option and the most likely IMO (wishful thinking?). It gives us reasonable depth, and we have the resources to trade up to get "our guy" if we want to.

There are obviously other scenarios but these seem to be the main ones as I see it.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Unless he is part of a trade, there is no reason Allen couldn't be the 3rd string guy unless that spot is needed for someone else (ie the bridge+rookie scenario).

I thought he wasn't signed through 2022. I could be wrong though.

Just now, London Kev said:

I thought he wasn't signed through 2022. I could be wrong though.

He's an RFA. It'd be around 2 mil to tender him, which sounds like a lot but the minimum salary is like 700K now anyway, so it's not much of an expense.

If you were to trade for Rodgers/Wilson or something, then you'd probably just go with a late round rookie or minimum salary guy. But I'd rather have him than pay someone like Bridgewater as a back-up.

19 minutes ago, London Kev said:

I'm just posting this to kind of elaborate on VoR's earlier post and to set out my own thoughts.

(6) Draft only 1st Round Pick/Heinicke Heinicke/1st Round Pick ?

I would be down for Ridder as an option 6.  I think he could take over mid season from Heinicke without much change in the offense system.

9 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

He's an RFA. It'd be around 2 mil to tender him, which sounds like a lot but the minimum salary is like 700K now anyway, so it's not much of an expense.

If you were to trade for Rodgers/Wilson or something, then you'd probably just go with a late round rookie or minimum salary guy. But I'd rather have him than pay someone like Bridgewater as a back-up.

If that's the case then yeah, good call. He could easily take the 3rd string slot.

A little late to the party but see a lot of talk on retreads like Mariotta, Trubisky, Winston and Bridgewater. Please NO to them. I’m also not too fond on Wilson or Rodgers ad it would cost too much in picks. 

My vote is for Drew Lock. Denver apparently is in the market for a new qb and he should be available for less capital. He would be better than any rookie qb for next year and he could be a bridge to a younger qb. We could still draft a qb early in the draft but could allow us to pass on one at 11. 

• Thumb down 1