Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

13 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I keep seeing the Hivers mention dangling TH in trade.  Often times backup QB’s are most valuable where they are as their value is directly related to their understanding of the coach/coordinators playbook.  I just don’t see Heineke as a guy any other OC or coach is going to want to invest in getting to know their system.

Yeah, I don’t read it as “dangling”, but more as giving another team a backup caliber, or maybe stopgap type in case they need it, as a sweetener.  Quite possible teams laugh at the idea - Taylor’s stock took a nose dive the last 5 weeks - but he’s a hard working, athletic, fairly intelligent guy that can sometimes come through in high stress situations.  I do think he offers more value to our team because of his knowledge of the playbook, but at the same time, how long do qbs take to learn a new system?  So I’d see him as competition for a backup role (possibly the stopgap role if they need one) and if he works out, maybe you extend him on the cheap for a couple years as the backup ala Colt McCoy’s stint here.

8 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Any team that deals a QB is going to need to acquire another QB one way or another. Heinicke is a good back-up, has experience and is signed cheaply. He'd be a fine piece to include in any such deal. 

Heinicke is a good backup but that's pretty much all he is. So while there's probably a team who would take him as part of a trade, I doubt they'd assign much value to him as part of said trade. I'd be pretty surprised if pretty much any team assigned him more than a 5th round value. 

46 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Any team that deals a QB is going to need to acquire another QB one way or another. Heinicke is a good back-up, has experience and is signed cheaply. He'd be a fine piece to include in any such deal. 

Any team trading their QB is absolutely going to acquire another, that is a higher caliber player than Taylor Heineke.

My point is not that he can’t make another roster, I just don’t see him having any value via trade.  

10 hours ago, mistertim said:

:ols:

From 2021 schedules:

Heinicke vs TB: 256 yards, 1 TD, 0 INTs, 52.5 QBR

Stafford vs TB: 343 yards, 4 TDs, 0 INTs, 92 QBR

Yeah, Stafford could never put up a whole TD vs Tampa. He had to settle for 4.

That doesn't address my comment.  My point is that Stafford and Cousins would not have won the game against the Bucs if either one of them were the starting QB for the WFT this season.

Neither one of them have the capability to carry an inferior team like the WFT to victory against a vastly superior team like Tampa Bay.

Did you watch that game??  Heinicke was simply outstanding.  He literally played a near-perfect game.  That 10 1/2 minute drive in the 4th quarter won the game for the WFT, by keeping the ball out of Tom Brady's hands.  That was the best drive of the ENTIRE NFL SEASON.  Heinicke had two clutch 3rd down completions to Humphries and McLaurin on that drive and that is what won the game.

Heinicke put the WFT on his shoulders and carried the team to victory in 4 very close games this season -- against the Giants, Falcons, Bucs, and Panthers.  He was excellent in all 4 of those games.  Most starting QBs in this league would have lost all 4 of those games if they had been starting for the WFT.  

Yes, there are GMs in this league that took notice of Heinicke, especially after the victory against Tampa Bay.  If the WFT is stupid enough to pick a different starting QB, he will be starting somewhere else.  Heinicke is a top 15 QB in this league.

You are way too hung up on stats.  A QB has to throw a TD pass and have 300 yards passing in order to play a great game?  That is totally ridiculous.  

14 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Any team trading their QB is absolutely going to acquire another, that is a higher caliber player than Taylor Heineke.

My point is not that he can’t make another roster, I just don’t see him having any value via trade.  

Wow...maybe you need to re-watch Heinicke's great performances against Tampa Bay and Carolina.  The dude can flat-out play.  He is one of the top 15 QBs in this league.

Edited by Theismann to HOF
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Theismann to HOF said:

That doesn't address my comment.  My point is that Stafford and Cousins would not have won the game against the Bucs if either one of them were the starting QB for the WFT this season.

Neither one of them have the capability to carry an inferior team like the WFT to victory against a vastly superior team like Tampa Bay.

Did you watch that game??  Heinicke was simply outstanding.  He literally played a near-perfect game.  That 10 1/2 minute drive in the 4th quarter won the game for the WFT, by keeping the ball out of Tom Brady's hands.  Heinicke had two clutch 3rd down completions to Humphries and McLaurin on that drive and that is what won the game.

Heinicke put the WFT on his shoulders and carried the team to victory in 4 very close games this season -- against the Giants, Falcons, Bucs, and Panthers.  He was excellent in all 4 of those games.  Most starting QBs in this league would have lost all 4 of those games.  

Yes, there are GMs in this league that took notice of Heinicke, especially after the victory against Tampa Bay.  If the WFT is stupid enough to pick a different starting QB, he will be starting somewhere else.  Heinicke is a top 15 QB in this league.

You are way too hung up on stats.  A QB has to throw a TD pass and have 300 yards passing in order to play a great game?  That is totally ridiculous.  

"You are way too hung up on stats."

Says the guy who repeats over and over "Heinicke 5 game winning drives! Heinicke 65% completion! Heinicke 5 game winning drives! Heinicke 65% completion!"

If you think throwing 1 TD is a QB "putting the team on his shoulders" then you're very easily impressed. A QB going out and tossing 4 TDs against a top defense acutally is impressive.

There's basically no way to watch those two games, then read your statements in this post, and take you seriously. And I'm willing to bet the Heinicke won't be starting anywhere next season. He's under contract for another year, WFT coaches and FO have been very open about wanting an upgrade at the position, and I'm guessing around the league Heinicke's trade value isn't any higher than a 5th rounder...maybe a 4th is a team is super desperate.

I'm honestly not sure at this point whether you're trolling or not. My initial impression was no, but you keep on coming up with more and more ludicrous statements about Heinicke...like you're trying to one-up yourself. So I'm starting to change my thinking on troll vs not.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Saying he doesn't have "any value" is almost as silly as people thinking he has a lot of it.

There are probably a couple of posters (who we don't need to respond to) who think he has value as a starter in a trade, but mostly people are saying he'd be a piece in a deal, which he no doubt would. 

If Green Bay dealt Rodgers and planned on starting Love, Heinicke would be a good backup for them to acquire.

If San Fran dealt Jimmy G, Heinicke would make a good backup for Lance. 

That's all 

10 hours ago, KDawg said:

Is this a schtick or are you of the Heinicke bloodline?

So what is your issue with Heinicke?  The guy played several outstanding games this season.  He led 5 game-winning drives on a team lacking offensive fire power.

If you want to bring a free agent QB to WFT, whatever.  I can tell you that Jimmy G isn't capable of leading an inferior team to victory against Tampa Bay, like Heinicke did.  Neither is Cousins nor most other starting QBs in this league.  

Jimmy G. looked very shaky in the 4th quarter against Dallas.  That horrendous INT he threw was a game-changer that gave Dallas new life.  He will NOT be an upgrade over Heinicke.  Heinicke handles 4th quarter pressure better than almost every QB in the league.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, mistertim said:

"You are way too hung up on stats."

Says the guy who repeats over and over "Heinicke 5 game winning drives! Heinicke 65% completion! Heinicke 5 game winning drives! Heinicke 65% completion!"

If you think throwing 1 TD is a QB "putting the team on his shoulders" then you're very easily impressed. A QB going out and tossing 4 TDs against a top defense acutally is impressive.

There's basically no way to watch those two games, then read your statements in this post, and take you seriously. And I'm willing to bet the Heinicke won't be starting anywhere next season. He's under contract for another year, WFT coaches and FO have been very open about wanting an upgrade at the position, and I'm guessing around the league Heinicke's trade value isn't any higher than a 5th rounder...maybe a 4th is a team is super desperate.

I'm honestly not sure at this point whether you're trolling or not. My initial impression was no, but you keep on coming up with more and more ludicrous statements about Heinicke...like you're trying to one-up yourself. So I'm starting to change my thinking on troll vs not.

People like you keep saying that he lacks arm strength, that's why I mention those stats.  A QB that lacks arm strength doesn't complete 65% of his passes and he doesn't have 5 game-winning drives when everyone on defense knows he is going to pass the ball.

It took a special QB to lead an inferior team like WFT to victory over Tampa Bay.  Stafford can't do that, neither can Cousins.  Neither can Jimmy G.

Heinicke played one of the best games of any QB this season against both Tampa Bay and Carolina.  For some foolish reason, you think a QB needs to throw multiple TD passes and have 300 yards passing in order to play a great game.

This Tampa Bay sports writer does a great job explaining what makes Heinicke special.  You should read the whole article, maybe you'll learn something besides your stupid QB stats. 

Basically, Heinicke handled Tampa Bay's pass rush better than any QB during the past 2 seasons.  That's why they won.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers' defense generated five sacks of Washington quarterback Taylor Heinicke on Sunday, which is usually a good first step to shutting down an opposing offense and getting a victory. Heinicke, however, threw for 256 yards and a touchdown with a 110.4 passer rating and the Football Team beat the defending champs, 29-19. It was just the second time in the last two seasons that the Buccaneers got at least three sacks but lost, and also the first time in that span they lost to a team that came into the game with a losing record.

https://www.buccaneers.com/news/bucs-week-ten-washington-football-team-heinicke-white-next-gen-stats

29 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Saying he doesn't have "any value" is almost as silly as people thinking he has a lot of it.

There are probably a couple of posters (who we don't need to respond to) who think he has value as a starter in a trade, but mostly people are saying he'd be a piece in a deal, which he no doubt would. 

If Green Bay dealt Rodgers and planned on starting Love, Heinicke would be a good backup for them to acquire.

If San Fran dealt Jimmy G, Heinicke would make a good backup for Lance. 

That's all 

LOL....Maybe Jimmy G can be Heinicke's backup.  Because he's not better than Heinicke.

On 1/17/2022 at 3:10 PM, Renegade7 said:

I don't believe I can be convinced that trading for Watson is the right thing to do in all the context I and others have brought up.

I can be convinced to live with it if we do it, and big reason why is what you said in this post.

We will get killed by the media at first, sports and non-sports, but if we start winning, it will come up less and less as time goes on.  It's messed it, but it's true.

Lord have mercy if we keep losing, though...

My fear is we trade for him give up 3 number 1s and a few players and then the league suspends him for 2 seasons . 

10 hours ago, London Kev said:

I find it interesting that I called someone out for being a troll (without naming them) and yet you were the one to reply.

Your arguments are so far removed from conventional wisdom, and have already been countered by many on here, that I feel justified in just laughing at you. If I were to claim that the moon was made of cheese, would you really bother to engage with me in a serious manner? 

You've received enough criticism for your ridiculous claims already and I have no wish to pile-on further, so I'm done with you.

I'm virtually the only one on here defending Heinicke.  It doesn't take a genius to figure out who you were talking about.

If you don't want to debate me, that's fine.  It's your loss. 

Your "conventional wisdom" isn't wisdom at all.  Scott Turner doesn't agree with it, which is why Heinicke will probably be the starter next season. 

19 minutes ago, Theismann to HOF said:

People like you keep saying that he lacks arm strength, that's why I mention those stats.  A QB that lacks arm strength doesn't complete 65% of his passes and he doesn't have 5 game-winning drives when everyone on defense knows he is going to pass the ball.

It took a special QB to lead an inferior team like WFT to victory over Tampa Bay.  Stafford can't do that, neither can Cousins.  Neither can Jimmy G.

Heinicke played one of the best games of any QB this season against both Tampa Bay and Carolina.  For some foolish reason, you think a QB needs to throw multiple TD passes and have 300 yards passing in order to play a great game.

This Tampa Bay sports writer does a great job explaining what makes Heinicke special.  You should read the whole article, maybe you'll learn something besides your stupid QB stats. 

Basically, Heinicke handle Tampa Bay's pass rush better than any QB during the past 2 seasons.  That's why they won.

https://www.buccaneers.com/news/bucs-week-ten-washington-football-team-heinicke-white-next-gen-stats

LOL....Maybe Jimmy G can be Heinicke's backup.  Because he's not better than Heinicke.

It's not just "people like me" saying Heinicke lacks arm strength. It's pretty much anyone with a working optic nerve and basic understanding of football.

When you watch him throw deep balls there's a very noticeable loft as well as lots of underthrows. When he tries to hit difficult timing passes like out routes or fit balls into tight windows there's a very noticeable lack of zip on his throws...to the point where he's had god knows how many passes literally hit defenders in the hands because he was late on the throw and doesn't have the arm strength to get the ball there so the DB was able to catch up.

So Stafford completely shredded the TB defense with his arm but he doesn't get credit for that. Only Heinicke gets credit for beating TB...even though he barely accounted for any points. And yes, a QB who throws a bunch of TD passes in a win does get plenty of credit and did have a great game. 

But sure, keep on just pulling random "facts" out of your rear end...making proclimations about how x or y QB would never be able to lead WFT to a victory like Heinicke did even though they've put up games that absolutely dwarf his. 

So sure. You're right. TD passes don't mean that much apparently (nobody tell Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers that). Only the magical Taylor Heinicke could possibly have helmed this team to some of their wins. Your Heinicke colored glasses at this point aren't even colored...they're just 100% opaque. 

As far as arm strength and it's (non) correlation to completion percentage...Chad Pennington had a career 66% completion rate. By your rationale he couldn't possibly have lacked arm strength (despite the fact that he was practically famous for having a weak arm.) 

Edited by mistertim

16 minutes ago, Theismann to HOF said:

Basically, Heinicke handled Tampa Bay's pass rush better than any QB during the past 2 seasons.  That's why they won.

Jimmy G completes more than 65% of his passes.  So does Davis Mills as a rookie.  So does Jared Goff. So does Tua.

17 minutes ago, mistertim said:

It's not just "people like me" saying Heinicke lacks arm strength. It's pretty much anyone with a working optic nerve and basic understanding of football.

When you watch him throw deep balls there's a very noticeable loft as well as lots of underthrowz. When he tries to hit difficult timing passes like out routes or fit balls into tight windows there's a very noticeable lack of zip on his throws...to the point where he's had god knows how many passes literally hit defenders in the hands because he was late on the throw and doesn't have the arm strength to get the ball there so the DB was able to catch up.

So Stafford completely shredded the TB defense with his arm but he doesn't get credit for that. Only Heinicke gets credit for beating TB...even though he barely accounted for any points. And yes, a QB who throws a bunch of TD passes in a win does get plenty of credit and did have a great game. 

But sure, keep on just pulling random "facts" out of your rear end...making proclimations about how x or y QB would never be able to lead WFT to a victory like Heinicke did even though they've put up games that absolutely dwarf his. 

So sure. You're right. TD passes don't mean that much apparently (nobody tell Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers that). Only the magical Taylor Heinicke could possibly have helmed this team to some of their wins. Your Heinicke colored glasses at this point aren't even colored...they're just 100% opaque. 

As far as arm strength and it's (non) correlation to completion percentage...Chad Pennington had a career 66% completion rate. By your rationale he couldn't possibly have lacked arm strength (despite the fact that he was practically famous for having a weak arm.) 

Stafford plays for a team that is loaded with offensive talent, not to mention defensive talent.  Yet he still threw four Pick 6 INTs this season.  He gives the other team a chance to win too often.   That is unacceptable.  It doesn't matter how many passing yards and TD throws that he has.  He should be able to do that will all of the offensive talent on his team.  Any average QB could.  That's why Mark Rypien and Brad Johnson have Super Bowl rings.  

Stafford is simply not better than Heinicke.  Stafford would not have defeated Tampa Bay this season if he played for the WFT.  He can't handle a pass rush as well as Heinicke can.

Read the article.  Maybe you'll actually see why Scott Turner, Tony Dungy, and myself love Heinicke.  

Did Brett Favre have a good arm?  If so, then why did he throw so many interceptions?  Why didn't his super duper arm prevent his NFL record number of INTs?

This whole conversation about arm strength is just pure nonsense from keyboard "experts" such as yourself.

16 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Jimmy G completes more than 65% of his passes.  So does Davis Mills as a rookie.  So does Jared Goff. So does Tua.

So what?  65% is more than acceptable, especially on a team as bad as the WFT.

mistake

I will say that it’s interesting to think back to the offseason and how the general consensus was that we really needed more offensive weapons, then we bring in Samuel and Brown (and Humphries) and we all think we’re in good shape.  Neither of those 2 contribute, then Logan goes down, followed by McKissick, and the narrative turned to - a better qb would have been fine with what we had late in the year.

Then you look at Gibson - went from he’s a good back, gets a lot of yards after contact, to “he’s misused, his fumbles hurt us, he’s not taking advantage of his blocking, his vision isn’t good”, etc.

The defense had us all excited in the offseason, then starts off pretty atrociously.  They turn it around and we go on a win streak, but injuries, Covid, offensive injuries (and struggles) hit and Philly runs for 200 and Dallas puts up 56.

Point being - I badly want a stud qb, but to act like Heinicke, after winning 7 games in his first year starting with that ^ mess around him can’t play in the league, that no other team might be interested, that he needs an amazing supporting cast to succeed… just seems a little disingenuous, or at least lacking context.  I will say that it’s definitely possible that with a healthy squad, TH still stinks up the joint, but I think it’s fair to argue we don’t know, or know just how much those things (and others) affected him.

Anyway, no one’s changing their mind about Heinicke, the staff is at DEFCON 5 in terms of qb, and one way or another we’re going to add someone they expect to start.  Who knows how it plays out, but here’s hoping we get lucky and land a stud qb while also improving the supporting cast/situation.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Theismann to HOF said:

Stafford plays for a team that is loaded with offensive talent, not to mention defensive talent.  Yet he still threw four Pick 6 INTs this season.  He gives the other team a chance to win too often.   That is unacceptable.  It doesn't matter how many passing yards and TD throws that he has.  He should be doing that will all of the offensive talent on his team.  Any average QB could.  That's why Mark Rypien and Brad Johnson have Super Bowl rings.  

Stafford is simply not better than Heinicke.  Stafford would not have defeated Tampa Bay this season if he played for the WFT.  He can't handle a pass rush as well as Heinicke can.

Read the article.  Maybe you'll actually see why Scott Turner, Tony Dungy, and myself love Heinicke.  

Did Brett Favre have a good arm?  If so, then why did he throw so many interceptions?  Why didn't his super duper arm prevent his NFL record number of INTs?

This whole conversation about arm strength is just pure nonsense from keyboard "experts" such as yourself.

As I noted before, "Stafford is simply not better than Heinicke" basically makes exactly one of you. You won't find any coach around the league who would take Heinicke over Stafford. None. That's why Stafford garnered a 1st round pick plus more in trade and why Heinicke is a UDFA who we probably wouldn't get a ham sandwich for.

So you don't like Stafford's INTs. What about Heinicke's? He has 20 TDs to 15 INTs while Stafford has 41 TDs to 17 INTs. Not hard to see who the better passer is. Oh but of course Heinicke not having a great year as a passer is everyone's fault but his. It's the OL, the receivers, the running game, the coaches, the waterboys, etc.

Don't you ever get sick of spending most of your time making excuses for a mediocre QB?

And the reason Favre had so many interceptions was purely because of his playing style. He played backyard sandlot football and tried to make lots of very inadvisable throws. The fact that he also led in TDs means that he had the arm talent to fit a lot of those insane throws in there.

The whole conversation about arm strength is clearly something that bugs you because everyone and their mother can tell that Heinicke has a weak arm and it's held the offense back because there are throws he's just incapable of making.

And if Scott Turner "loves" Heinicke, why is the WFT being so open about the need to upgrade the position? Pretty much everything Ron and Turner have said recently is coach-speak for "Yeah, he's a good dude and hard worker, but he's not the future of the franchise." Otherwise they would have been straight up and said "Taylor is our guy going forward next season." Or at the very least "Taylor will absolutely be in the mix for the starting job."

But none of that has been said. Sooner or later you're going to have to face the fact that the coaches and FO (ours and other teams') simply don't think Heinicke is that good. But of course, what do those fools know? Certainly not nearly as much as you...you know that Heinick had 5 game winning drives and 65% completion rating!!!

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Neither of those 2 contribute, then Logan goes down, followed by McKissick, and the narrative turned to - a better qb would have been fine with what we had late in the year.

It’s not about being ‘fine’ with what we had late in the year but it absolutely could have been better.  It didn’t need to be much better to make the playoffs.  But that’s kind of besides the point.  Even if we win 2 more games with Heineke and made the playoffs, I’d still be uninterested in him as a potential starter next season.

12 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

but to act like Heinicke, after winning 7 games in his first year starting with that ^ mess around him can’t play in the league, that no other team might be interested, that he needs an amazing supporting cast to succeed… just seems a little disingenuous, or at least lacking context.

Nobody is trying to take the 7 wins from him.  I just think that’s at or near the ceiling for a guy with his skill level.  I know, I know, but McKissick, but Thomas, etc. but imo we were fortunate to win the games we won even at full health.  I simply do not believe that style of play is going to be a sustainable winning formula.  

I said no team would be interested in trading for him.  Not that he has no place in the league.  At best, he garners what Minshew fetched - a conditional sixth.  I’m sure if we released him for whatever reason, he’d get a chance to compete for a backup spot elsewhere.  My primary point is that he’s more valuable to us than he would be anyone else.  His value is being familiar with Scott’s system and able to run it in a moments notice.  That’s more valuable than what we could potentially net in return for him.

If i were Ron i would try to get Russell Wilson,But if that failed i would pursue Trubisky as a bridge and draft a QB..But i would not trade up for any of the QB's though..There are four QB's that are worth drafting in the 1st and one of them will be there at 11..

Edited by bh32

As much as I like Heinicke, he's a backup, but a pretty good one. He's your ace in a hole if your starter gets injured as he will keep you in games and sometimes even contribute to wins. 

But, if he is our starter next year, the entire front office should be fired on the spot. If the best they can do is settle on a backup, they should be shown the door. The 2020 draft (and season really) was a golden opportunity to obtain a franchise QB but we decided to use the pick on a DE. It still blows my mind that these guys actually thought Haskins was going to be better than whatever franchise QB we could have drafted at #2.

Here we are again though, being a QB needy team outside of the top 10. This front office is not really impressing me or making the game changing moves that I was expecting. The roster is okay, but its still missing by far the most important part. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

So our GM isnt going to one of the biggest scouting events of the year because...

reasons?

This is so dumb. Every time I hear Ron talk about Roster construction I think he sounds like a bumbling idiot. 

I just dont understand. 

This also would be utterly incompetent  

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

As I noted before, "Stafford is simply not better than Heinicke" basically makes exactly one of you. You won't find any coach around the league who would take Heinicke over Stafford. None. That's why Stafford garnered a 1st round pick plus more in trade and why Heinicke is a UDFA who we probably wouldn't get a ham sandwich for.

So you don't like Stafford's INTs. What about Heinicke's? He has 20 TDs to 15 INTs while Stafford has 41 TDs to 17 INTs. Not hard to see who the better passer is. Oh but of course Heinicke not having a great year as a passer is everyone's fault but his. It's the OL, the receivers, the running game, the coaches, the waterboys, etc.

Don't you ever get sick of spending most of your time making excuses for a mediocre QB?

And the reason Favre had so many interceptions was purely because of his playing style. He played backyard sandlot football and tried to make lots of very inadvisable throws. The fact that he also led in TDs means that he had the arm talent to fit a lot of those insane throws in there.

The whole conversation about arm strength is clearly something that bugs you because everyone and their mother can tell that Heinicke has a weak arm and it's held the offense back because there are throws he's just incapable of making.

And if Scott Turner "loves" Heinicke, why is the WFT being so open about the need to upgrade the position? Pretty much everything Ron and Turner have said recently is coach-speak for "Yeah, he's a good dude and hard worker, but he's not the future of the franchise." Otherwise they would have been straight up and said "Taylor is our guy going forward next season." Or at the very least "Taylor will absolutely be in the mix for the starting job."

But none of that has been said. Sooner or later you're going to have to face the fact that the coaches and FO (ours and other teams') simply don't think Heinicke is that good. But of course, what do those fools know? Certainly not nearly as much as you...you know that Heinick had 5 game winning drives and 65% completion rating!!!

There is no point in continuing this discussion.  All of your opinions are based on stats and that is simply a horrible way to judge QBs.  There are way too many variables that go into those QB stats, like the talent and ability of your teammates.

All you see are passing yards and TD passes.  Heinicke played on a lousy team and still had fewer INTs than Stafford.  That should tell you something.  If Heinicke played for the Rams, they would have a better record than they've had with Stafford.

Stafford, Cousins, and Jimmy G are not capable of carrying an inferior team to victory, not the way that Heinicke did against Tampa Bay this season.  Heinicke has  natural instincts in the pocket and athletic ability that all of those guys lack.  None of them can handle a pass rush as well as Heinicke, as he showed against Tampa Bay. 

As the article I posted discussed, Heinicke was sacked 5 times and still played a nearly perfect game against Tampa Bay.  No, not many QBs can do that.

And he certainly has more poise than Cousins and Jimmy G in the 4th quarter.  I trust Heinicke a lot more at the end of a game than any of these guys.  It's his intangible qualities that make Heinicke special.

All of this are much more important qualities for a QB than your precious stats.

Heinicke will be the starter for the WFT next season.  Rivera and Turner see the same qualities that make Heinicke special that I do.

addition
  • Thumb down 1