Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

BM beats the same drum for like 20 years about the team.  To him, basically every coaching regime is the problem.  I recall his rants back in the day about Kyle Shanahan among others. They don't adjust in game while their opponents adjust well.  He's big on they don't coach up the backups.  Excuses don't matter becuase every team has the same hurdles more or less.   While he claims he doesn't think much of Snyder, he also likes to say Snyder isn't on the field and throws it back on the coaches.   So I am braced for months of hits on Rivera from him. :ols:

I actually remember his rants about Gibbs II. Some of which were kindof valid.  Most weren't.  Gibbs II wasn't GIbbs I.  But Gibbs II didn't have the players Gibbs I had.  

BMitch and Doc are basically the same person.  Both can be entertaining, but you can't really count on either for any analysis or insightfulness.  So they serve their purpose.

I feel a bit bad for Rivera because he's inherited this angst from fans and the media that comes from mishaps that precede him.  But he also walked into this pickle to some extent by playing the Qb cards the way he has.  Though I get the logic of playing it this way but now he has to back himself out of this corner. 

He also inherited Haskins in year 2 after the organization spent pick #15 on him the previous year, and in the one year when the entire off-season was canceled due to COVID so he really couldn't even figure out Haskins was a no-nothing bum until Training Camp.  That was massively unlucky.  

Kevin Sheehan likes to proclaimed (and states it as he knows it for fact) that Ron promised Dan he would give Haskins a shot at QB.  I think that's kindof bunk.  I think Ron had exactly 1 QB on the roster when he took over.  Or essentially one because he wasn't going to play Colt or Keenum.  I can't remember their contract status.  McCoy might have been a FA.  I don't remember.  But whatever, he had 1 guy.  He had a 3-13 roster, a pandemic, no off-season, and just a ridiculous mess to clean up. So he kindof went with the guys who he had rather than being too aggressive. 

Hindsight being 20/20, he should have probably traded Haskskins for whatever he could get, maybe a 2nd or 3rd (remember, at that time, he had had some success in year 1, and didn't look like a complete bum), and then started taking shots at QBs in the middle rounds of the draft to see if he could find anything there.  Or if he was lucky enough to get a low 1 for Haskins (which I doubt), package #2 and the other first round pick, and maybe the 2021 first and something else and go up and get Burrow.  Or bypass Chase, trade back and take Tua or Herbert.  

But he was kindof just stuck.  Which is unfortunate.

You got a zillion teams it seems looking for a QB.  Some with more draft capital than they have.   And the teams that some here like to make fun of like the NY Giants are arguably still more attractive destinations because of location and they are a franchise without all the off field baggage/sleaze attached to it and aren't bleeding fans, etc. 

I really think there are 2 problems the WFT has which affect them more than people realize: the absolute hit-job the Post has out for Snyder, where they have been trying to get him for 20 years, is just not helpful.  I'm not saying it's not true.  But it certainly isn't helpful.  Snyder is a bad owner.  But whether it was the name, or something else, there is ALWAYS something in the news about him.  Now, part of that is his fault.  But you're not going to convince me the campaign the Washington Post has been on since the early 2000's hasn't had a negative effect on the fan base and the team.

And the second is FedEx.  The combination of the team being bad, the Post's campaign, and a REALLY crappy stadium is like the trifecta of ineptitude.  Who would really want to come here to play home games in a dump filled by opposing fans, when their fans stay away because they hate the owner and want him to sell?  I mean, there's nothing we can do about it (though I do think a new stadium WILL help at least the "not playing in a dump" part of it...)

And the WFT has a VERY cynical fan base especially when it comes to QBs.   We used to have company as far as other teams being right there with us as the jokes of the NFL as to being failures at the QB spot for decades and more.  i think we kind of now own that QB nightmare spot.  If ESPN did a 30-30 about misfires at the QB spot, I think they'd pick us as the team to feature.   So if we take on any of these reclamation QBs, some of whom are league punchlines (whether deserved or not) I don't expect them to get the benefit of the doubt from many fans where they'd patiently see it as step 1 before step 2 which would be to draft a QB.

Yeah. My hope is Ron has the type of credibility around the league that people don't look at the history and they look at Ron, Scott Turner and Zampese.  All three of those guys are fairly well respected.  So my hope is they can attract somebody....

12 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I actually remember his rants about Gibbs II. Some of which were kindof valid.  Most weren't.  Gibbs II wasn't GIbbs I.  But Gibbs II didn't have the players Gibbs I had.  

BMitch and Doc are basically the same person.  Both can be entertaining, but you can't really count on either for any analysis or insightfulness.  So they serve their purpose.

He also inherited Haskins in year 2 after the organization spent pick #15 on him the previous year, and in the one year when the entire off-season was canceled due to COVID so he really couldn't even figure out Haskins was a no-nothing bum until Training Camp.  That was massively unlucky.  

Kevin Sheehan likes to proclaimed (and states it as he knows it for fact) that Ron promised Dan he would give Haskins a shot at QB.  I think that's kindof bunk.  I think Ron had exactly 1 QB on the roster when he took over.  Or essentially one because he wasn't going to play Colt or Keenum.  I can't remember their contract status.  McCoy might have been a FA.  I don't remember.  But whatever, he had 1 guy.  He had a 3-13 roster, a pandemic, no off-season, and just a ridiculous mess to clean up. So he kindof went with the guys who he had rather than being too aggressive. 

Hindsight being 20/20, he should have probably traded Haskskins for whatever he could get, maybe a 2nd or 3rd (remember, at that time, he had had some success in year 1, and didn't look like a complete bum), and then started taking shots at QBs in the middle rounds of the draft to see if he could find anything there.  Or if he was lucky enough to get a low 1 for Haskins (which I doubt), package #2 and the other first round pick, and maybe the 2021 first and something else and go up and get Burrow.  Or bypass Chase, trade back and take Tua or Herbert.  

But he was kindof just stuck.  Which is unfortunate.

I really think there are 2 problems the WFT has which affect them more than people realize: the absolute hit-job the Post has out for Snyder, where they have been trying to get him for 20 years, is just not helpful.  I'm not saying it's not true.  But it certainly isn't helpful.  Snyder is a bad owner.  But whether it was the name, or something else, there is ALWAYS something in the news about him.  Now, part of that is his fault.  But you're not going to convince me the campaign the Washington Post has been on since the early 2000's hasn't had a negative effect on the fan base and the team.

And the second is FedEx.  The combination of the team being bad, the Post's campaign, and a REALLY crappy stadium is like the trifecta of ineptitude.  Who would really want to come here to play home games in a dump filled by opposing fans, when their fans stay away because they hate the owner and want him to sell?  I mean, there's nothing we can do about it (though I do think a new stadium WILL help at least the "not playing in a dump" part of it...)

Yeah. My hope is Ron has the type of credibility around the league that people don't look at the history and they look at Ron, Scott Turner and Zampese.  All three of those guys are fairly well respected.  So my hope is they can attract somebody....

Fed Ex field is a problem no doubt about it. With the team rebranding and with no new stadium as of right now. Snyder will be looking to make a big splash.

I think he will do what it takes to get a big Qb in here. He has got to get some positive talk about this team going.

I could see a trade of multiple draft picks from multiple years and with the new QB coming in with a new contract being the highest paid player in the league.

Edited by Redskins 2021

26 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

B Mitch is a little bit smarter/more knowledgable than Doc Walker who is/was literally angry boomer. I wouldn't put him in that tier just yet.

I don't doubt that he is, he just doesn't show it in his media gigs.

The problem is I don't think BMitch really studies tape or anything of that nature.  He's not detailed at all in his opinions, just very broad and cliche.  He gets ratings because he's B Mitch and fans like somebody angry, ranting and raving about how the coaching sucks, because well...that's what they do.  It helps the average fan to feel validated.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Fed Ex field is a problem no doubt about it. With the team rebranding and with no new stadium as of right now. Snyder will be looking to make a big splash.

I think he will do what it takes to get a big Qb in here. He has got to get some positive talk about this team going.

I could see a trade of multiple draft picks from multiple years and with the new QB coming in with a new contract being the highest paid player in the league.

Ok, but I mean, why would Snyder be involved in that?  I mean, Ron's come right out and said (n just about every interview he's done in the past month) they are going to be aggressive, look at their assets, including key starters at positions of depth to see who they can trade?  I mean, Ron has been saying it for a month.  Now BMitch opens his big mouth, and says that he thinks the organization needs "buzz" and there might be other things at play, and everybody is like "OH MY GOD!  DAN IS AT IT AGAIN! HE'S GOING TO TRADE EVERY PICK IN THE NEXT 3 RAFTS FOR JIMMY GAROPPOLO!!!  WE'RE DOOMED!"  

What is somewhat frustrating (though understandable) with this fanbase is everybody leaps to the conclusion that Dan is behind everything no matter what.  It's an easy conclusion to reach, granted, based on past history.  

BUT.  It's not ALWAYS the case.  Ron was going to trade a first, 3rd and a player (probably Payne, but it could have been Sweat, or maybe Matt I, who knows) for Matt Stafford last year. They're on the record they were going to try it.  And when the Rams offered 2 additional firsts and Goff, they said no.

So, why last year was Ron in charge and making the decisions, but this year Dan is trading the picks? Because BMitch theorized there might be more to it than just football?

I get the narrative.  I really do. And Dan picked Haskins, so there is recent evidence to suggest he overrules the football people.

HOWEVER, since Ron has been hired, we have heard none of it.  Not one credible source has said, in any way, that Dan has said "boo" to Ron about anything.  

So maybe we just wait and see what happens, and not just assume Dan is going to screw it up.  It's more than possible he will.  It's also possible Ron and company will screw it up all by themselves.

It's also possible they swing and miss and can't get done what they want to get done.

And it's possible they succeed.

The future is unwritten.  

• Like 2

image.png.c7e2d887542a3b1cea7732ba757346c8.png

I did not verify the accuracy here… but… this ^ is why we need a QB. Look at how bad Tampa is… and they’ve been excellent the last two years. They haven’t had a QB. Jacksonville? No QB. Cleveland? Up until Mayfield? No QB.

The Lions are better than us. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

B Mitch is a little bit smarter/more knowledgable than Doc Walker who is/was literally angry boomer. I wouldn't put him in that tier just yet.

Doc has better nicknames, or did, until he got lazy, and just started re-using the same ones, and BMitch has one schtick that he sticks with, which is to blame the coaches and the preparation.

They are literally the same person.  

Listening to Cooley break down film with either of them was high comedy.  Neither knows anything.  BMitch knew how to catch the ball and "go that way" as Gibbs said.  That's all he really ever had to do, and he was good at it.  In one of his press conferences during GIbbs II (I think his exit one), he told Doc to "Shut up, and just go hit the nose."  Which is what I'm sure he told Doc a lot when he was a player.  "Shut up.  Go hit the NT."

Both are entertainers.  Neither knows anything useful about today's football.  

4 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

He is light-years ahead of anybody we have here.  The question is, can you commit to him, because if you trade for him, you probably have to extend him pretty soon, because he only has 2 years left.

This is where we diverge a bit on our thinking, I believe. I do not see Jimmy G as "light-years ahead" of anyone we have here. I only see him as a slight upgrade over Heinicke, mainly because he actually has a legit NFL arm which would likely open the playbook up a fair amount.

That being said, he's also been injured a lot and he doesn't have the kind of escapability and off-schedule ability that Heinicke has. I think he's an upgrade but only a modest one. That's why I have no interest in giving up draft picks for him, especially a first, which would be highway robbery considering that he almost has to have a dominant supporting cast and defense to actually do anything of note.

Which is why I still stand by my assertion that Jimmy G would only lead us to maybe a couple more wins, and certainly not to the SB. But I guess if we're all so thirsty for even decent QB play in lieu of actually going far into the playoffs then sure, that's fine......otherwise:

61rojg.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The thing with Heinicke is that if he shows up to camp and has to earn his spot and wins the bridge job on performance… I’m all for it.

I am completely and utterly against us going into next season with Heinicke as the perceived starter/incumbent. Bring in a Trubisky type and let them compete for the bridge job with the rookie.

I have my suspicions who’d win that camp battle, but the point is I don’t care. I do not actively wish for Heinicke to fail… I’d love to see him find success. 

I just wouldn’t bet next season on it.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Redskins 2021 said:

If we want Jimmy G we can get him we have the cap room. I don't think Carolina has the draft picks for him. 

I dont know what the cap looks like for those two teams. I think Denver wants someone bigger and If Sydner is involved we might be looking at someone bigger as well.

I pray that you are right cause I don't think I can rally behind Jimmy G. They drafted Lance for a reason....cause Jimmy G ain't it. Taking castoffs like him screams of desperation and I hope we don't go that low. 

35 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I did not verify the accuracy here… but… this ^ is why we need a QB. Look at how bad Tampa is… and they’ve been excellent the last two years. They haven’t had a QB. Jacksonville? No QB. Cleveland? Up until Mayfield? No QB.

Ha....so are the Jets!!!!

If Wilson becomes available and Ron/Dan can entice him to take Washington off his no trade list, what do we have to give up to get him.  How much will/can other teams

give up?

The Stafford compensation is a little weird because Detroit took on Goff’s contract.  But it ended up being the current third rounder and two first rounders two and three years out.

I believe the cost for Wilson, but by how much?  Would the 11, 2023 1st, and Payne/Sweat get it done?  Or would NYG be more enticing with the five and seven this year?

28 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

If Wilson becomes available and Ron/Dan can entice him to take Washington off his no trade list, what do we have to give up to get him.  How much will/can other teams

give up?

The Stafford compensation is a little weird because Detroit took on Goff’s contract.  But it ended up being the current third rounder and two first rounders two and three years out.

I believe the cost for Wilson, but by how much?  Would the 11, 2023 1st, and Payne/Sweat get it done?  Or would NYG be more enticing with the five and seven this year?

If Seattle deals Wilson they will have nothing at QB so maybe they'd ask for TH as a fill in while they draft a young QB? Given that he only makes 1.5 mil next season that would be smart of them to do. Two #1's, Payne and Heinicke???? You would think Heinicke would be more attractive than Daniel Jones but I'm guessing they'd want one of our QB's back...Allen is an RFA I believe. Would Russ want to come back to his roots and finish his career??????

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Holy Mole.....The Brown have only 21 wins in the first 8 years of the past decade? They won 11 and 10 games the last two years.

3 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Holy Mole.....The Brown have only 21 wins in the first 8 years of the past decade? They won 11 and 10 games the last two years.

image.png.93f715c9a800b7115af6ba4ed57b85e1.png

3 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

So it looks like they're wrong on the chart. But it ain't far off.

Edited by KDawg

2 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I goofed ever so slightly, they won 8 not 10 this year, but still...I had no idea how badly they sucked.

And with a good D and good running game Baker still can't get them over the hump

Compared to the previous bunch of years Mayfield has turned them into a juggernaut

19 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

If Seattle deals Wilson they will have nothing at QB so maybe they'd ask for TH as a fill in while they draft a young QB? Given that he only makes 1.5 mil next season that would be smart of them to do. Two #1's, Payne and Heinicke???? You would think Heinicke would be more attractive than Daniel Jones but I'm guessing they'd want one of our QB's back...Allen is an RFA I believe. Would Russ want to come back to his roots and finish his career??????

This is why I think the Wilson trade won't happen unless Wilson absolutely positively refuses to play this season unless he's traded. Seattle doesn't even have a 1st round pick this year. I'm guessing if a trade went down, Seattle would try to convince Wilson to accept a trade to Philly or NYG. NYG has 2 high 1st round picks and Philly has 3 1st round picks.

I don't see why they would want Heinicke. He's basically a JAG backup and Seattle would be looking to replace a future HoFer so they'd likely want high 1st round picks so they could draft a QB. 

Giants would probably offer two 1s and Daniel Jones. Although Jones might be negative value at this point but you would be getting a QB on a rookie contract.

But if they keep Carroll then I can't imagine him wanting a young project QB. He's gonna wanna win now and go after a vet.

25 minutes ago, KDawg said:

So it looks like they're wrong on the chart. But it ain't far off.

The chart has us as Redskins, so its probably data that is 2 yrs off, or made 2 yrs ago

It may be a ten yr span of 2010 -2019

I think we have won 65 in the most recent 10 Yr span, which aint much of an improvement, but it makes us better than the Jags, Browns, Jets, Giants n Lions

https://eatdrinkandsleepfootball.com/nfl/most-wins-past-decade.html

Not bottom 5! Woot!

Edited by FootballZombie

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I've heard Sheehan talk about it.  I haven't heard him say he knows it as a fact but I guess I missed that show.  I've heard him say that would make sense because when you take on a new job you can't easily tell a boss, especially Dan, that you are discarding his QB after one year. 

Beat guys have leaked they liked Burrow a lot.  Actually that came out before the draft from some of them.  Rivera revealed it actually not long ago in an interview.  I think they would have  taken Burrow if he dropped but not Tua or Herbert. 

I am ok with all of it.  Dan is douche.  He opened that Pandora's Box.  Bad things happen to bad people -- karma. 

Dan doesn't have the guts to face the music and defend himself.  So in my view he deserves every ounce of the bad PR.    I read the NY papers and sometimes the Philly ones, they are brutal on their sports teams too.  I just read a long expose trashing Mara on the Athletic among plenty of other stuff over the years.  As tough as the WP is on Dan, he is lucky he's not in NY.

I am not so sure that the PR bashing Dan gets from the WP is a key reason for fans bolting.  The Knicks have a terrible owner yet can draw fans.  Heck the idea that Dan was a douche was evident early but fans held their nose and hoped the team would win.

I said it a zillion times on the Bruce thread while you were busy trashing Jay.  :ols:  The point I continually made was Bruce will likely hasten the demise of this team for multiple reasons.  That is, the lead dance is Dan with Vinny were incompetent but they weren't boring.  The team was always in the mix for this or mix of that.   They were at least relevant and talked about.

With Bruce the team continued to look incompetent, yet they became really boring, too. The team became irrelevant.  Under Vinny the punchline is they were all in on the sexy splash and would swing and miss.  Under Bruce, they became insignificant.   That's a death blow.   We were actually a punchline on a few shows where the line was more or less who cares about talking about the Redskins.  We had no stars among other things. 

Add in the sleazy to the soup and you got checkmate.    The fact that Keim wrote an article that the team years back were struggiling to keep fans in the stands and Bruce according to Keim was pissed about and argued with him about it saying its not true.  And Bruce asked some of the beat reporters about what he thinks they should do better and according to Chris Russell he told him without pulling any punches what he thought and Bruce got pissed at him about it.

Bruce's version of dysfunction -- delusional, cheap, smug, sleazy, a cartoonish level of being a politcian/empty suit was the perfect marriage IMO to finish Dan off.   

No doubt.  Speaking for myself I used to think that Dan is incompetent yet getting a stadium was up his alley.  I don't feel that way anymore.

Reading what I could about how Dan/Bruce were chasing the stadium, I said at the time I expect them to strike out.  I know a little bit about the process having worked for a politician who had to vote on a stadium issue and also later on I did some PR work, minor stuff, to help push for a stadium.  A friend of mine helped run the PR side of it, I did a little work for them on it, and I have talked through the process with them.

I don't feel like repeating it here again.  But it wasn't hard for me to see that they would fail based on the narratives of what I read/heard on the radio.  And if some idiot like me who knows just a little bit about the process but is far from an expert can see there were doing some fundamental things wrong -- it just shows how dumb Dan/Bruce were/are about freaking everything. 

I know some here want to chase Jason Wright out of the building but part of the reason why I disagree is if seen enough from him where I think he's vastly brighter than someone like Vinny or Bruce.    I think he's our best shot at it.  Dan to me already played it like a buffoon.   The last thing I want is Dan's new toady to chase the stadium with him because IMO they will screw it up. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I keep seeing the Hivers mention dangling TH in trade.

The only way I see a team taking TH in a trade is if there is a situation where a team is left w/ absolutely nothing at QB after trading their guy.

A situation like the Raiders for example. W/ Marriota not under contract, and in a situation where they deal Carr, they almost have to get some kind of QB back in a deal, if not just to have a body in place. He doesn't have to be "THE" guy, just "A" guy so they have something. Even still I don't see TH as a deal sweetener, his trade value is a bag of chips, but he is a breathing body that could fill that spot. In all honesty, they would probably prefer Allen in a sign and trade who as an RFA would probably be even cheaper anyway.

16 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I keep seeing the Hivers mention dangling TH in trade.  Often times backup QB’s are most valuable where they are as their value is directly related to their understanding of the coach/coordinators playbook.  I just don’t see Heineke as a guy any other OC or coach is going to want to invest in getting to know their system.

Any team that deals a QB is going to need to acquire another QB one way or another. Heinicke is a good back-up, has experience and is signed cheaply. He'd be a fine piece to include in any such deal.