Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randal 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Fromm battle for QB2 and so begins the Handsome Harem for Hartman

Koolblue13

I think Howell is reasonably aggressive but not nearly at the Brett Favre gunslinger level. And @wit33I get what you're saying, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect such an inexperienced passer to not throw picks. Even if he doesn't go crazy gunslinger and we try to ease him into things via some layup type passes, he's going to miss coverages sometimes, he's going to get fooled sometimes, and he's going to just make bad decisions sometimes.

Not sure what kind of leash he has, but I think it would be pretty unfair for any coaching staff expect any guy who's started 1 NFL game to come in and hardly throw picks. Not saying it can't happen, but a guy that inexperienced being super efficient and making very few mistakes would be the exception, not the rule.

• Like 3

I mean I’m reasonably optimistic about Howell but I’m gonna need to see him score 30 points on the strength of his passing once or twice before I assume he can do that WHILE throwing 3 INT, that’s quite a pie-in-the-sky outlook lol. His skillset is fun to project over a full season but I think just assuming he’s going to be that prolific (even allowing that he might make plenty of mistakes) is setting yourself up for disappointment. 

• Like 2

As for me:

Sam Howell stands at the precipice of a promising future in the world of professional football. With his remarkable arm strength, exceptional accuracy, and innate field vision, Howell possesses the tools necessary to excel at the highest level. Blessed with natural athleticism and a strong work ethic, he has honed his skills throughout his collegiate career, displaying an ability to lead his team to victories even in the face of adversity. As he transitions to the professional stage, Howell's chances for success appear bright. Supported by a solid offensive line and a talented receiving corps, he has the potential to flourish in the Commanders' system. However, the path to greatness is never easy, and Howell will face formidable challenges as he navigates the complexities of the NFL. Yet, his resilience, determination, and unwavering commitment to improvement suggest that he has the mettle to overcome obstacles and establish himself as a standout quarterback in the league. If he continues to refine his skills, adapt to the demands of the professional game, and receives the necessary support, there is no doubt that Sam Howell can carve his name among the elite quarterbacks of his generation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

As for me:

Sam Howell stands at the precipice of a promising future in the world of professional football. With his remarkable arm strength, exceptional accuracy, and innate field vision, Howell possesses the tools necessary to excel at the highest level. Blessed with natural athleticism and a strong work ethic, he has honed his skills throughout his collegiate career, displaying an ability to lead his team to victories even in the face of adversity. As he transitions to the professional stage, Howell's chances for success appear bright. Supported by a solid offensive line and a talented receiving corps, he has the potential to flourish in the Commanders' system. However, the path to greatness is never easy, and Howell will face formidable challenges as he navigates the complexities of the NFL. Yet, his resilience, determination, and unwavering commitment to improvement suggest that he has the mettle to overcome obstacles and establish himself as a standout quarterback in the league. If he continues to refine his skills, adapt to the demands of the professional game, and receives the necessary support, there is no doubt that Sam Howell can carve his name among the elite quarterbacks of his generation.

You forgot to post this under your new Cooleyfan93v2.0 ChatGPT bot account

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

What are you alluding to, sir?!?...

See below

16 hours ago, Conn said:

lol what I’m getting from this experiment is that ChatGPT would be a below replacement level poster here, very generic insights phrased in a slightly off-putting way, but without the charm of the human element. 

I love it. Let’s create a bot pulling from ChatGPT and call it Cooleyfan93v2.0 

18 hours ago, wit33 said:

Howell doesn’t have the luxury or leash to throw interceptions. 

What I love when watching elite offenses operate is the willingness to consistently take home run shots/go for the big play while providing layups throughout the game. My hope is Howell doesn’t feel the need to force the big play knowing another big shot play will be taken soon.

Layups (screens, run extension plays, QB runs, short passing) and three pointers (intermediate and deep throws). Welcome to modern day offense. 

I don't get the vibe listening to the reports about Howell that he's a play it safe type.  lol, ironically Cooley's film review of him included he reminded him at times of Rex in that he is wiling to throw into traffic and expect his WR to make plays.

As JP Finlay likes to say Brissett reminds him so much of Alex Smith when he watches him.  Really conservative, move the chains, avoid turnovers approach.  and as to Howell expect more fluctations in play including some great plays and also picks. So apparently a big contrast in the two approaches.

As for what I'd want personally, I don't mind Sam's gunslinger style as long of course as there are much more positive than negative.  But to your point, I am not sure Ron can endure much of a growing pain period in the beginning of the season with new ownership coupled with the presumed good will of fans wanting to watch the post Dan era.  It should be really interesting what he would do if things start off poorly considering he's getting somewhat a tag of his teams tend to start seasons poorly -- which I gather he's trying to shake.

https://fantasyindex.com/2023/04/05/factoid/jacoby-brissett

If nothing else, Brissett will take care of the ball. He’s started 48 games as a pro, and he’s thrown only 22 interceptions in those games. In the 32-team era, only two other quarterbacks with at least 40 starts have averaged less than a half an interception per game – Aaron Rodgers and Tyrod Taylor.

Not throwing interceptions, to clarify, isn’t necessarily a selling point, particularly in fantasy leagues. When a quarterback like Brissett or Alex Smith isn’t throwing interceptions, it sometimes means they’re too hesitant to take chances, settling for check-down throws. With a gunner quarterback (think Ryan Fitzpatrick) there’s more willingness to try to gun the ball into tight winds, resulting in more interceptions but also more big plays.

FEWEST INTERCEPTIONS PER GAME (2002-)
Player St Yds/G TD Int Int/G
Tyrod Taylor 53 195 57 23 .43
Jacoby Brissett 48 208 48 22 .46
Aaron Rodgers 223 263 474 104 .47
Colin Kaepernick 58 207 72 30 .52
Mark Brunell 52 180 57 28 .54
Russell Wilson 173 235 308 98 .57
Patrick Mahomes 80 303 192 49 .61
Lamar Jackson 61 199 100 38 .62
Tom Brady 319 271 631 200 .63
Alex Smith 167 209 195 105 .63
Daniel Jones 53 219 60 34 .64
Jeff Garcia 74 199 84 48 .65
Teddy Bridgewater 65 220 72 43 .66
Robert Griffin 42 211 41 28 .67
Dak Prescott 97 257 166 65 .67
Deshaun Watson 59 263 110 40 .68
David Garrard 76 206 87 52 .68
Donovan McNabb 123 242 180 85 .69
Derek Carr 142 248 217 99 .70
Jared Goff 100 259 155 70 .70
Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Conn said:

lol what I’m getting from this experiment is that ChatGPT would be a below replacement level poster here, very generic insights phrased in a slightly off-putting way, but without the charm of the human element. 

I love it. Let’s create a bot pulling from ChatGPT and call it Cooleyfan93v2.0 

I can actually understand wits posts with that witchcraft. Let's not knock it.

16 hours ago, Conn said:

setting yourself up for disappointment. 

We're the 5th losingest team over 30 years. What the hell are we suppose to set ourselves up for?

I expect a 6/7 win season and Howell is gonna throw 20 INTs, which is almost as many TDs I think he throws.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, mistertim said:

I think Howell is reasonably aggressive but not nearly at the Brett Favre gunslinger level. And @wit33I get what you're saying, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect such an inexperienced passer to not throw picks. Even if he doesn't go crazy gunslinger and we try to ease him into things via some layup type passes, he's going to miss coverages sometimes, he's going to get fooled sometimes, and he's going to just make bad decisions sometimes.

Not sure what kind of leash he has, but I think it would be pretty unfair for any coaching staff expect any guy who's started 1 NFL game to come in and hardly throw picks. Not saying it can't happen, but a guy that inexperienced being super efficient and making very few mistakes would be the exception, not the rule.

Every situation is different and he doesn’t have the luxury to play poorly in consecutive games IMO. He’ll have to establish a baseline of competence right away, that’s the bar he must cross. 

Gone are the days it takes years to develop at QB, too many guys have flourished early on and he’s a second year guy. 

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't get the vibe listening to the reports about Howell that he's a play it safe type.  lol, ironically Cooley's film review of him included he reminded him at times of Rex in that he is wiling to throw into traffic and expect his WR to make plays.

As JP Finlay likes to say Brissett reminds him so much of Alex Smith when he watches him.  Really conservative, move the chains, avoid turnovers approach.  and as to Howell expect more fluctations in play including some great plays and also picks. So apparently a big contrast in the two approaches.

As for what I'd want personally, I don't mind Sam's gunslinger style as long of course as there are much more positive than negative.  But to your point, I am not sure Ron can endure much of a growing pain period in the beginning of the season with new ownership coupled with the presumed good will of fans wanting to watch the post Dan era.  It should be really interesting what he would do if things start off poorly considering he's getting somewhat a tag of his teams tend to start seasons poorly -- which I gather he's trying to shake.

https://fantasyindex.com/2023/04/05/factoid/jacoby-brissett

If nothing else, Brissett will take care of the ball. He’s started 48 games as a pro, and he’s thrown only 22 interceptions in those games. In the 32-team era, only two other quarterbacks with at least 40 starts have averaged less than a half an interception per game – Aaron Rodgers and Tyrod Taylor.

Not throwing interceptions, to clarify, isn’t necessarily a selling point, particularly in fantasy leagues. When a quarterback like Brissett or Alex Smith isn’t throwing interceptions, it sometimes means they’re too hesitant to take chances, settling for check-down throws. With a gunner quarterback (think Ryan Fitzpatrick) there’s more willingness to try to gun the ball into tight winds, resulting in more interceptions but also more big plays.

FEWEST INTERCEPTIONS PER GAME (2002-)
Player St Yds/G TD Int Int/G
Tyrod Taylor 53 195 57 23 .43
Jacoby Brissett 48 208 48 22 .46
Aaron Rodgers 223 263 474 104 .47
Colin Kaepernick 58 207 72 30 .52
Mark Brunell 52 180 57 28 .54
Russell Wilson 173 235 308 98 .57
Patrick Mahomes 80 303 192 49 .61
Lamar Jackson 61 199 100 38 .62
Tom Brady 319 271 631 200 .63
Alex Smith 167 209 195 105 .63
Daniel Jones 53 219 60 34 .64
Jeff Garcia 74 199 84 48 .65
Teddy Bridgewater 65 220 72 43 .66
Robert Griffin 42 211 41 28 .67
Dak Prescott 97 257 166 65 .67
Deshaun Watson 59 263 110 40 .68
David Garrard 76 206 87 52 .68
Donovan McNabb 123 242 180 85 .69
Derek Carr 142 248 217 99 .70
Jared Goff 100 259 155 70 .70

Gunslinger all day for me, intrigued by that ceiling. I speculate EB schemes enough big plays open (hopefully) the QB won’t feel the need to take risks knowing another big shot will be called soon. 

Totally understand it comes down to the decision making of the QB and Howell will take more chances than Brisset. 

39 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I can actually understand wits posts with that witchcraft.

The continued shots fired for what lol?

You have a better grasp of writing. You’re smart. We get it. 

CHATGPT:

The continuous barrage of shots fired leaves me perplexed. What purpose do they serve?  You possess a somewhat commendable understanding of writing. I must acknowledge your intelligence.

• Haha 3

The Commanders are all in on Sam Howell. But don’t forget Jacoby Brissett.

Though the starting quarterback job is clearly Sam Howell’s to lose — he has taken all the first-team reps during offseason workouts — Washington Commanders Coach Ron Rivera maintained Tuesday that he still views the position as a competition between Howell and veteran Jacoby Brissett.

“Just because I said he’s going to start off as QB1 doesn’t mean he’s going to finish as QB1,” Rivera said of Howell, adding: “Jacoby has shown us some things that have really gotten people’s attention. We talk about Jacoby almost as much as we talk about Sam. So I just think as we go through this process, and until we play games, it’d be unfair to start making assessments.”

Will Brissett get first-team reps during minicamp or training camp?

“Well, that'll be something that we'll sit down and talk about once we finish up [offseason workouts],” Rivera said.

Come September, Howell will probably start. He is 22, dynamic and promising, with a higher ceiling (and lower floor) than Brissett, whose greatest strength, at 30, is his steady and solid, if unspectacular, play. Even if Brissett outplays Howell during training camp, even if the coaching staff believes the team would be better right away with Brissett, they still may opt to start Howell because of his potential. It’d be easier for Rivera to sell a new owner on his vision beyond 2023 if it’s headlined by an ascendant young quarterback rather than a journeyman on a one-year deal.

Yet odds are Brissett will play this year. The last time Washington started only one quarterback all season was 2017, and a fitting summation of Brissett’s career would be “the replacement.” In seven years, he’s appeared in 76 games (48 starts) nearly exclusively because the starters were suspended (Tom Brady, Deshaun Watson) or injured (Andrew Luck, Tua Tagovailoa, Jimmy Garoppolo).

Perhaps because of those experiences, Brissett insisted he too sees the starting quarterback job as a legitimate competition.

“Anybody that steps on that field, we're all in competition,” he said, adding, “That's what it is every day in this league.”

In offseason workouts, Brissett has been uneven. Sometimes he lofts effortless touch passes through tight windows, and other times he looks indecisive, like he doesn’t have as large a mental advantage over Howell in learning the new scheme as might have been expected given his experience. Both quarterbacks have held the ball longer than normal in 11-on-11 periods.

So far, Brissett has mostly worked with green backups. Few of the second-string linemen have extensive experience, and his receiving options are often undrafted free agents or young role players, such as Dax Milne and Marcus Kemp. Brissett may have played more snaps in his NFL career (3,320) than all the skill players he’s worked with combined.

If Brissett had to start a game tomorrow, the question would not be how quickly the Commanders’ top skill players could sync up with him — they’ve cycled through quarterbacks before — but how quickly Brissett could sync up with them. So would it be important to Brissett to get first-team reps at some point before the season?

“We’ll cross that bridge when we cross that bridge,” he said. “I’ve been in this league a while, and I know how, at the drop of a hat, how fast this league can turn. Just being ready to go has always been my mind-set and has served me well this far, so it will still.”

Last season, Brissett’s passing statistics were nearly identical to former Washington quarterback Taylor Heinicke’s. The biggest differences were in off-target throws and turnover-worthy plays, which Pro Football Focus charted. Brissett threw off-target far less often than Heinicke (10.6 percent to 15.8 percent) and yielded nearly half as many turnover-worthy plays (3.1 percent to 6.3 percent). Brissett won’t make many explosive plays, but he won’t give the ball away, either.

The veteran, who’s not known as a runner, also excelled at picking his spots to take off. His rate of rushes that went for first downs or touchdowns was 57.1 percent, best among all qualified quarterbacks in the NFL.

Two things that have stood out to Rivera: Ball placement and mentorship.

“He understands leverages, so he’s throwing away from where the defenders are,” the coach said. “You also see him again working with the younger guys, talking to them — not just the quarterbacks, but the positional guys. [He’s] talking to the young receivers about how to run around, how to turn and come back to the ball, stuff like that.”

In March at the league meetings, Cleveland Browns Coach Kevin Stefanski, who coached Brissett last season, gushed about him as a quarterback and teammate, calling him a “quintessential pro’s pro.” Washington quarterbacks coach Tavita Pritchard and Howell have since echoed those sentiments.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/06/07/jacoby-brissett-sam-howell-commanders/

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

“I’ve been in this league a while, and I know how, at the drop of a hat, how fast this league can turn. Just being ready to go has always been my mind-set and has served me well this far, so it will still.”

Somehow I screwed up the formatting and cant fix it, but this is a great quote from Brissett. I always admire how guys can go through their careers, have them not go exactly to plan, and somehow get tougher mentally and become even more competitive. I remember how easy it was to want to quit because someone else was favored or just flat out better. So this kinda fire is dope to me. 

• Like 2

listened just now to Standig's appearance today on Sheehan, along with the new Finlay podcast.    The vibe from them echoes the others covering camp.

A.  Brissett looks decent.  Conservative.  Alex Smith comparisons.  Many checkdowns.   

B.  Howell is right now a wild ride, very streaky, hot and cold.   But the hot part of his game is tantalizing as to his upside.   Finlay on his radio show warned that if by chance this extends to the season, the highs and lows, the high variance play, it likely bleeds into these games.  

Standig said though Howell's accuracy is often good.  Stands out compared to Wentz for example.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

I think Howell is showing the growing pains of any young QB. But I stand by my prediction that he will make too many plays/throws to keep him off the field. 

In the end, it’s about getting us into the end zone on a regular basis. I think he will get us there more than Brissett.

It’s also nice to have a solid defense to cover up some of those inevitable mistakes. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I think Howell is showing the growing pains of any young QB. But I stand by my prediction that he will make too many plays/throws to keep him off the field. 

In the end, it’s about getting us into the end zone on a regular basis. I think he will get us there more than Brissett.

It’s also nice to have a solid defense to cover up some of those inevitable mistakes. 

He's also learning a new system so 6 days isn't that long to learn where to go, on what step, and be comfortable enough with it to know when to throw it away.  I'll wait to mid August for analyzing consistency but do enjoy hearing how his ups seem to be higher than we've had in years.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I think he's going to be awesome and really exciting. Probably the best QB play we've had in forever.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think he's going to be awesome and really exciting. Probably the best QB play we've had in forever.

Yes! The only other time I felt like this in recent years was when Fitz was to get his shot. Sadly he fizzed but have higher expectations for the young Howell.

• Like 1