Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randal 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Fromm battle for QB2 and so begins the Handsome Harem for Hartman

Koolblue13

Best part about Howell is he's only 22. Turns 23 in September. Yet he's already had a year of NFL experience. There are rookies entering the league that are already older. 

I do like his potential. I'm not super sold on him or anything because track record says otherwise, but I'll also concede that he's not a typical 5th round pick either. Most didn't have the hype he had just a year prior.

But I also think its perfectly fair to rank him as the worst starting QB in the league this year. Hopefully he can prove em wrong.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

But I also think its perfectly fair to rank him as the worst starting QB in the league this year. Hopefully he can prove em wrong.

I agree with @KDawg: if you have a QB who has less than say, 4 games starting, there is nowhere near enough sample size to even rank them anywhere.  I’d leave them off the list entirely. 

He has potential.  He also has the potential to flop.

I personally think he couldn’t be worse than Wentz and [REDACTED] were last year. Or [REDACTED] was in 2021.  The QB play was SO amazingly bad.  I think Howell is going to be better.

How much better? I dunno.  One guy was totally messed up in the head and the other had the worst arm in the NFL and probably shouldn’t even be in the NFL due to physical limitations.

The bar is so low it’s lying on the floor.  And I think Howell can be better than the guys who proceeded him.  But that’s not saying much.  

• Like 4
  • Thumb down 1

4 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

So are we about to get done by the league for allegedly contacting Andrew Luck a season back. Irsay isn’t too happy about that, if true.

As a final parting shot to Snyder? Wouldn't bet against it.

I visualize a 1st round pick being the cost.

And we'll somehow have an awful season and wind up with a top 2 or 3 pick. And we'll forfeit it.

Just so we never forget the name of "Snyder".

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

And we'll somehow have an awful season and wind up with a top 2 or 3 pick. And we'll forfeit it.

I am actually less worried about the League sticking it to Snyder, because it won't be to Snyder. It'll be to Harris. Also, part of the reason Snyder is SO vilified, this is a prime market--wealthy and populous. The NFL wants to revitalize this market again. 

Just now, Riggo#44 said:

I am actually less worried about the League sticking it to Snyder, because it won't be to Snyder. It'll be to Harris. Also, part of the reason Snyder is SO vilified, this is a prime market--wealthy and populous. The NFL wants to revitalize this market again. 

I never rule out something bad happening due to Snyder. And I won't until we are cleared of all of this stuff. Snyder is a "gift" that continues to give until it's eradicated. 

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Stories seem to conflict, some imply we contacted the Colts directly. But I would not discount any level of incompetence to be honest. Hopefully it’s just noise.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Howell is going to be very good....EB will surround him with speed and talent and all Sam will have to do is know the playbook and follow the script while keeping himself healthy. I can see a run heavy offense for the first 6 weeks while Sam gets his feet wet and then opening things up more moving forward as he gets command of the playbook. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

Stories seem to conflict, some imply we contacted the Colts directly. But I would not discount any level of incompetence to be honest. Hopefully it’s just noise.

I have faith that Ron would handle that correctly.

*thinks we can make the playoffs

*calls wrong numbers a couple times during draft

I'm sure ole Ron handled this right.

• Haha 3

I do find it really funny that Anthony Richardson is ranked above Sam Howell. Because 1-year starters with horrible accuracy issues certainly don't have an astronomical bust factor. He also is going to the Colts, who are on their 7th QB in 6 years? 8 in 6? Either way, it's an asston of QBs since stumbling into Manning and Luck. Baker Mayfield was slightly better than [REDACTED], per PFF

I had to stop laughing at Dak Prescott at 9th to type this. He was the 21st rated QB by PFF last year.

I think CBS just rattled off QBs names and Howell was the last one they could remember.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Howell is going to be very good....EB will surround him with speed and talent and all Sam will have to do is know the playbook and follow the script while keeping himself healthy. I can see a run heavy offense for the first 6 weeks while Sam gets his feet wet and then opening things up more moving forward as he gets command of the playbook. 

Would LOVE to see this...but a run-heavy O and Howell staying healthy is also contingent of the o-line playing well..and that's a group that could really struggle. 

11 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I personally think he couldn’t be worse than Wentz and [REDACTED] were last year. Or [REDACTED] was in 2021.  The QB play was SO amazingly bad. 

This is going to be the 4th year in a row where we've said this exact same thing lol...just swap out the QB names each season. I swear the football gods hear us say this, chuckle, and then say "That's what you think, mf'er".

I hope Howell has Wentz' deep ball accuracy (seems like he already does), runs more than Heinicke (seems like he already will), and has at least Heinicke's release time if not faster (having the Browns player point that out when he was comparing TH to Wentz was embarrassing).

• Like 2

Seeing rumors that we tampered with Luck in 2022. Irsay is pissed. And people wonder why some of us wanted Ron to draft more QBs. We should draft one every damn year until we find one, and cut the ones that fail the competition.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Matt Miller, draft guy, now working for NFL, is a pretty vocal hater of Sam Howell.  this one takes the cake for me -- weak arm like Colt McCoy, beyond absurd 

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I have faith that Ron would handle that correctly.

*thinks we can make the playoffs

*calls wrong numbers a couple times during draft

I'm sure ole Ron handled this right.

Listening to Keim on 106.7, he was careful, because Keim is now embroiled in the actual story, but got the vibe that he thinks they contacted the Colts versus Luck directly.

My fear though is i wonder if Chris Polian who I gather knows Luck contacted him directly.

As much as I can't stand Dan, doesn't sound like his has anything to do with this.  If they blew this sounds like its all on the Ron FO. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My fear though is i wonder if Chris Polian who I gather knows Luck contacted him directly.

As much as I can't stand Dan, doesn't sound like his has anything to do with this.  If they blew this sounds like its all on the Ron FO. 

Yeah that’s a possibility.

Thats aside, Luck has been retired since 2019. The suggestion that he was even under consideration is bad enough IMO.

19 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

Imagine being so dumb you think that your destitute franchise is the one to lure a player out of retirement. FFS. 

and then losing a draft pick because the effort you put in was illegal. :ols:  That's classic Ders'.

On 5/7/2023 at 12:10 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

Sheehan among others loves to use these 3 arguments against this team's belief in Howell.

A.  If they really believed in him that much, they'd have started him earlier in the season.

B.  The idea that they considered starting Heinicke and then going to Howell later in the Dallas game is damning

C.  If they liked him so much why didn't they take him before the 5th round.

While I love Sheehans show.  He can be quite the stubborn mule when fixated on a point.  And I am confused why he finds these points so befuddiling?  And he's not the only one but he's the most persistent one among the local media.

A. They didn't start him earlier in the season because they didn't think he was ready.    They wanted to clean up his footwork.  it's been said by Rivera multiple times.  Don't get why this is so mysterious?  As he had more time to clean his footwork, they felt better about him.  Simple as that. 

B.  The idea of Heinicke starting was also explained by Rivera.  The idea is for Howell to watch Dallas' coverages for a quarter so he'd have an advantage coming in.  Rivera caring about building Howell's confidence is a good thing not a bad thing.  

C. They thought they had the issue solved with Wentz. Hence they weren't shopping for a QB in that draft.  When Howell dropped that far in the draft, the value was too enticing to blow off.  Sheehan should get this, its the same logic that he embraced from Shanny when he took Kirk.  Shanny didn't take Kirk because he was shopping for a backup in that same draft but when Kirk who he rated higher than a 4th rounder was starring at him in the draft at a ridiculous value, he couldn't resist.

I mean those are the claims (excuses?) the team has been putting out there to answer Sheehan's points. Whether you believe those claims and whether they are credible is a whole nother question. And we can additionally throw out the point that this braintrust is the one that legitly thought Carson Wentz was the "answer" at QB. even after two other organizations just gave up on him within the past 13 months. They might legitly believe what they're peddling, but they also might be incompetent at evaluating QBs. Everyone's trying to put their own spin on things. I guess only time will tell who is "right".

• Like 1