Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Draft Order/Tracker: Now Picking #11

zCommander

Howell may be have some value if he falls.  I think Justin Herbert proved that QB's who proved it early, but had a disappointing last season may get undervalued.  Herbert took over the starting spot as a true freshman and did well.  His sophomore season was his best season going by QB rating.  He had a good junior year and at least statistically a good senior year on par with his junior year.  Still there was the feel he failed to take the next step and while his senior season was statistically solid I think there was also the feel he didn't play his best in the biggest games.

Hence there were questions and his stock was down.

Howell came in and played great as a true freshman.   Had a monster sophomore season.  He has seemed to regress junior year (both statistically and via the eye).   But his numbers are still solid (not as good as his sophomore year).   If you can get a Howell in the second round that would be awesome.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I dont want to lose a 2nd for Ryan, but wouldn't hate it. It's probably best case senerio. I'd rather go after Trubinski and draft Howell or Strong in the 2nd. Although either situation does allow us to use that high first on Dean or Hamilton, which makes me happy. 

I think you got to swing for the fences whatever that is at QB.  Imagine if they actually landed Stafford?  Or Mac Jones fell to 19.  We'd likely have a totally different feel for the season now and going forward.

I feel the same way as you about Matt Ryan, wouldn't love it, wouldn't hate it.  

As for Qbs in the 2nd round, most of them fail historically in staggering numbers.  I think part of the reason why its so hard to find that QB is that you can't really look at it like another spot.  for example, I can look at MLB and say if I don't get Parsons in the first, then count me in on Barnes in the third or Werner in the 2nd, etc.  And that odds are most of them will work out to an extent.  At QB, its hard enough to ferret out the top half of the first guys, once you pick among that 2nd litter the odds that you succeed is really really low. 

There is a reason why we hear over and over again about Cousins and Wilson.  And for reclamation projects, Tannehill is brought up again and again and again (though I don't see him as a true reclamation project but I'll humor the point for sake of argument) is because people can't give a ton of examples.  They are the anamolies.    There isn't a long list of success like that.  The much longer list is of the failures.

As for Sam Howell, I watched some last year but only one game this year.  Strong I've watched one game.  I don't have a strong opinion (no pun intended) on either dude but I'll get there.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think you got to swing for the fences whatever that is at QB.  Imagine if they actually landed Stafford?  Or Mac Jones fell to 19.  We'd likely have a totally different feel for the season now and going forward.

I feel the same way as you about Matt Ryan, wouldn't love it, wouldn't hate it.  

As for Qbs in the 2nd round, most of them fail historically in staggering numbers.  I think part of the reason why its so hard to find that QB is that you can't really look at it like another spot.  for example, I can look at MLB and say if I don't get Parsons in the first, then count me in on Barnes in the third or Werner in the 2nd, etc.  And that odds are most of them will work out to an extent.  At QB, its hard enough to ferret out the top half of the first guys, once you pick among that 2nd litter the odds that you succeed is really really low. 

There is a reason why we hear over and over again about Cousins and Wilson.  And for reclamation projects, Tannehill is brought up again and again and again (though I don't see him as a true reclamation project but I'll humor the point for sake of argument) is because people can't give a ton of examples.  They are the anamolies.    There isn't a long list of success like that.  The much longer list is of the failures.

As for Sam Howell, I watched some last year but only one game this year.  Strong I've watched one game.  I don't have a strong opinion (no pun intended) on either dude but I'll get there.

There is definitely no sure way to land a franchise QB. I'd honestly be happy to see 3 new QBs on the roster next year, although I'd imagine Allen probably sticks because of his playbook knowledge. Still, I'd sign/trade for a FA. I like trubinski, maybe Mariotta if he's available in FA. Draft one high and late.

From: https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2022-nfl-mock-draft-mds-october-2/

13) Washington Football Team: Malik Willis, QB, Liberty

Make no mistake, Malik Willis has and continues to be my QB1 for this year’s NFL Draft. Possessing a cannon for an arm, Willis continues adding touch passes to his arsenal as well. He also brings great athleticism that Washington will love.

There isn’t a throw that Willis can’t make, and while his team struggled this past weekend against UL Monroe, there’s no doubt in my mind that he’s still the best quarterback in this draft.

Not sure how I feel about Ryan here. I assume we'd have to take over his contract, which has 2 seasons left after this one and is somewhat rich but not insanely so. But that's just another stopgap. What if he plays decent but not great (which is basically on par for him) for those 2 years and we stay right around the middle of the pack, where we're never picking high enough to get a blue chip QB prospect? Do you extend him and just hope he'll magically turn in a SB year when he's 39? Do you sell the farm to trade up for a QB prospect?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I dont like gambling so much on older QBs, just because Brady is doing it. Brady is the goat and his self care is so impressive, it's marketable. 

Yeah, Brady was also a totally different situation from a compensation standpoint. They didn't have to give up any picks; just give him a big one year contract. Worst case is he's done and you say "Oh well, we tried" and move on. Best case is what happened.

• Like 1

Our scouting department is just horrible right now.....common sense would tell me to snipe Jake Verity from the Ravens practice squad.  Verity was giving Justin Tucker a bit of a push in camp this summer.  Plus the Ravens are excellent on special teams and have an amazing history of coaching up their guys.

Instead we add Blewitt....I just hope he doesn't miss his first extra point.  That would be an all-time low for this organization after all the junk we have seen the past 7 days.

On 10/20/2021 at 10:03 AM, Koolblue13 said:

I dont like gambling so much on older QBs, just because Brady is doing it. Brady is the goat and his self care is so impressive, it's marketable. 

Fitz taking a long time to rehab is a case in point.  I liked the signing because he was cheap and FA just stinks typically for QB so he was my favortie FA option but he's not a solution clearly.   

Alex's injury would have done in even a younger guy but also I didn't love trading for him in part because of his age coupled with the roster didn't feel to be on the verge, when you are at the tail end of your career an injury typically spells the end or close enough.  And then some of the older QBs can just lose it.  Eli Manning fell off a cliff once he was in his mid 30s.  We experienced that with McNabb and Brunell. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Fitz taking a long time to rehab is a case in point.  I liked the signing because he was cheap and FA just stinks typically for QB so he was my favortie FA option but he's not a solution clearly.   

Alex's injury would have done in even a younger guy but also I didn't love trading for him in part because of his age coupled with the roster didn't feel to be on the verge, when you are at the tail end of your career an injury typically spells the end or close enough.  And then some of the older QBs can just lose it.  Eli Manning fell off a cliff once he was in his mid 30s.  We experienced that with McNabb and Brunell. 

It's looking like Fitz might only be starting at the water park for the rest of his days. Sad end to a career. I was thinking that he was going to come back and lead a revival tour against the soft belly of our schedule, but that's looking like it's not going to happen. Heinicke looks like his arm ran out of the little steam that it had, but at this point I'd still stick with him. Might help for next year, since he's the only one on the roster. It's a shame that this is the year we tank and not last year, further pushing Alex up the list of bad moves that we've made over the years.

Our Oline is great and young enough, outside of LT which has played really well if they bring both of those guys back and they should. We have Terry as a great possession WR, but TE and RB remain questions. I'm really hoping for 3 new QBs on the roster next year and hope any of the damage that Turner has done learning the ropes is erased and that him and Zampese can build a really strong room. I think we are in agreement that this team really isn't that far away.

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Lions will go QB for sure. Jets and Jags absolutely will not. Eagles Texans and Giants its debatable. 

Too bad supposedly the Texans aren't into Tua because if the Texans trade Watson to Miami, it would be nice if the Texans think they got their QB of the future. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Redskins Reparations said:

I am just going to post this here…

8E820FE2-35FF-430F-A65E-BFF2EDC86321.thumb.jpeg.b4447b523ebd9d3dc24504d54f368b9c.jpeg

I'm a bit concerned this is the only year where he has been good. Every other year he has been unspectacular. He could be a similar to Joe Burrow in a sense that he will have a ton of experience and finally puts it all together. 

On a side note, is there room for a Pickett on this team if we already have Blewitt?

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Haha 1

On 10/20/2021 at 10:03 AM, Koolblue13 said:

After what happened to Alex Smith and Fitz, I couldn't agree more.  No way our training staff and turf can do anything but end careers for older QBs, the pattern is there

• Like 2

• zCommander changed the title to 2022 Draft Order / Tracker: Current Pick #7
8 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

It's looking like Fitz might only be starting at the water park for the rest of his days. Sad end to a career. I was thinking that he was going to come back and lead a revival tour against the soft belly of our schedule, but that's looking like it's not going to happen. Heinicke looks like his arm ran out of the little steam that it had, but at this point I'd still stick with him. Might help for next year, since he's the only one on the roster. It's a shame that this is the year we tank and not last year, further pushing Alex up the list of bad moves that we've made over the years.

Our Oline is great and young enough, outside of LT which has played really well if they bring both of those guys back and they should. We have Terry as a great possession WR, but TE and RB remain questions. I'm really hoping for 3 new QBs on the roster next year and hope any of the damage that Turner has done learning the ropes is erased and that him and Zampese can build a really strong room. I think we are in agreement that this team really isn't that far away.

I noticed Greg Olsen touting Seals-Jones some.  Cooley who IMO is a really good evaluator, has nailed some obscure players among other things including raving about TJ Watt before that draft, he was the only one I recall who said Josh Allen was the best QB before that 2018 draft among other things.  Anyway, he likes Seals-Jones.  it was cool for me to see him use the same word I used when I watched him in camp, really fluid looking.  I think with Thomas back, Seals-Jones is a good #2.  TE might be fine for a change. 

If Samuel comes back from injury, I don't think WR is a code red spot.   And even if it is, its not a hard spot to fill typically in FA.  I think they need another RB.

To me the offense is about QB, QB, QB, QB.

The defense today wasn't great but also wasn't the train wreck its been through most of the year.  I think Jackson being off the field and Landon playing LB might have helped.   Some hate me for criticizing William Jackson.  I think the main reason why with some people is that he's their favorite proxy used to rip Del Rio.  The poor sap William Jackson has never played a rep of zone in his life.  He has no idea what a zone defense even is.  But that moron Del Rio is putting him in zone all the time and naturally he's lost because he played man 100% of the time in Cincy.   😀

Reality is Jackson of course played zone in Cincy, too.  All corners do.  He was just a better man corner.  We are playing more man than ever before.  Jackson is getting beat in both man and zone.  But again focusing on that defeats the easiest narrative to rip Del Rio so I think that narrative will live to keep propping Jackson.   That's my long winded way of saying I think he's been almost as big of a problem as Collins.    He's taking over the Josh Norman mantle of somehow just about always been one of the culprits of the big miscommunication plays where the S-CB look at each other dumbfounded about who is the guilty party of why some WR got open by 10 yards.

Hopefully Jackson rebounds but if not he looks like a flop signing.  I think in the draft its QB, Mike-MLB, CB, FS.  We fail so much with FA corners.  I can't recall the last really good one.  I recall the hype around Culliver, Norman and this signing.   Fuller hasn't been worth the money either.  Shawn Springs was great but that was eons ago.   So maybe the draft is the better ticket at CB -- plus the bigger name CBs command big money anyway so when you screw up on the signing it stings a lot more. 

• Like 1