Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Jon Gruden used racist comment in referring to NFLPA head DeMaurice Smith in 2011 email

zCommander

1 hour ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

So what happened here? Bruce Allen rat****ed him?

This feels more like the owners decided to get rid of Gruden, and his enormous contract, and distract from an investigation.  They singled him out and kicked him off the bus.  

This isn’t to say Gruden isn’t deserving of his fate.  Im just certain that Gruden writing mean things in emails is among the least of the NFLs sins.  

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Hey, I like Eminem's music, at least his old stuff.  As someone who was in college in the early 2000s, you had to listen to him.  Some of his stuff has aged terribly, some of it has aged pretty well.  Lose Yourself is still a great song that I can get into at the gym, though I think Rabbit Run is the ultimate gym jam from that soundtrack.  No choruses, it's awesome.

But it's very hypocritical to try and come across as this progressive organization who's into social causes such as advancing the LGBTQ agenda and then have someone who's got a history of some pretty nasty homophobic lyrics performing at your Super Bowl halftime show.  And I know he's not going to play any of his controversial songs with those lyrics...but it's interesting that they give someone like him a platform when they're trying to be LGBTQ friendly at the same time.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, justice98 said:

People has moved on from the harassment investigation basically, but this just brings it all back to the forefront.  Cuz now everybody's running around wondering what else came out of that investigation that the league buried.  

I read earlier on Sports Illustrated's site that there is....get ready for this....no actual physical report.  Like, there's no hard copy out there anywhere to flip through.  The reports findings was presented to the league in a presentation.

I texted that to a buddy of mine who was surprised that I wasn't aware of that, apparently that had been made public before.  I guess I missed that memo.  

But you know it's some serious **** when the League doesn't want a physical copy of the report floating around that could get leaked. I'm of the opinion that the NFL doesn't want to have to punish teams/players/coaches any more than they actually have to.  They view things like the Gruden emails as a pain in the ass and an eye-roll, not as a chance to make sure that people in the League are socially aware and upstanding citizens.  I don't think the NFL actually gives a Frenchman's **** about any of the causes they pretend to care about...they have these programs set up because they have to, not because they want to.  Make no mistake, the NFL would be the XFL if no one was looking.

Snyder is owner for life, or until he wants to sell, unfortunately.  And I am sure the other owners are all out to protect each other.  When you get a guy like Snyder who's Iceberg Slimmin' the cheerleaders and doing whatever else was reported in that high school presentation that the League saw...and you get a guy like Bob Kraft getting tuggies in South Beach...it's not a stretch of the imagination that the rest of the owners have their dirt that they'd like to be kept private.  Maybe except the Pittsburgh folks, but I'm sure Wellington Mara has a couple coke fueled nights with hookers that he'd like to keep on the hush.  

These owners are going to cover for each other, no matter what.  The NFL doesn't want the bad publicity and irritation that would be an owner being forced to sell.  If someone brought enough heat on Dan Snyder in order to get him to sell, what's to stop anyone else who's been paid hush money over the years by an NFL organization to come forward and let the shady transgressions be known?  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Hey, I like Eminem's music, at least his old stuff.  As someone who was in college in the early 2000s, you had to listen to him.  Some of his stuff has aged terribly, some of it has aged pretty well.  Lose Yourself is still a great song that I can get into at the gym, though I think Rabbit Run is the ultimate gym jam from that soundtrack.  No choruses, it's awesome.

But it's very hypocritical to try and come across as this progressive organization who's into social causes such as advancing the LGBTQ agenda and then have someone who's got a history of some pretty nasty homophobic lyrics performing at your Super Bowl halftime show.  And I know he's not going to play any of his controversial songs with those lyrics...but it's interesting that they give someone like him a platform when they're trying to be LGBTQ friendly at the same time.  

I mean they have pre approved messages that players can put on their helmets that I think include 'BLM' but blackballed Colin Kaep into oblivion so it is what it is with this group. They either think the fans are too stupid to notice or the product is too good that the ones who do dont care. 

And they are basically right. They play the line just enough to get away with it. 

• Confused 1

Hot take time!

2021 Gruden is bad and was on a white-hot seat and the only thing keeping him employed was his contract.

Mark Davis shielded Snyder and now the deal is done.  Creepy billionaire **** from creepy billionaire dudes.

Trubisky > Kaepernick 

anonymous, if you’re listening, please hack Dan Snyder’s emails.

Riff Raff > Eminem > Spiffs 00s gym mix > Tool

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Destino said:

This feels more like the owners decided to get rid of Gruden, and his enormous contract, and distract from an investigation.  They singled him out and kicked him off the bus.  

This isn’t to say Gruden isn’t deserving of his fate.  Im just certain that Gruden writing mean things in emails is among the least of the NFLs sins.  

The league's bigger worry would be how many people saw those emails over an 8 year span and did nothing - or worse, join in or encourage him. Was Gruden just mailing Bruce Allen with this crap?

• Like 1

The league doesn’t want emails to be leaked because the 2013? 2014? salary cap collusion would be exposed.  That’s why Dan isn’t going anywhere.  He’d blow the league up if he got bounced.

59 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

The league's bigger worry would be how many people saw those emails over an 8 year span and did nothing - or worse, join in or encourage him. Was Gruden just mailing Bruce Allen with this crap?

Why do I feel like like the subject headings in these emails start with FWD: FWD: FWD:?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Bloodytusk said:

What kind of idiot puts that stuff in emails. I would feel bad for him if it was private texts, but come on. To be fair theres so much messed up stuff that goes down in NFL emails that I truely believe he got unlucky or was specifically targeted.

Some people never truly accepted the CYA lifestyle.  Never treat an email like it’s private.  Not ever.

• Like 5

The league is a business and our pathetic franchise is still a big part of that business model. Cowboys vs I_d_a_s was at the core of their marketing plan for decades. But now, they don't want Dan's nightmare and don't know what to do other than pretend like it all didn't happen and bury it all.  Dan must have some dirt on this workmates so they settled on a name change for him to remain in power.

We cannot move past it until we can see the Wilkinson Report and any others, and we get a new name. So until then we are a faceless franchise no one wants. One so inept, that we cannot even rename ourselves in a timely manner. We may have the worst marketing PR department in the history of professional sports. Can anyone name one worse? Our stadium is overrun with out of town fans every ****ing week which may be the ultimate proof.

When can we grade how our new team president is doing.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 2

I'm not saying the league can't be hypocritical because lord knows they can...

But to me Antonio Brown vs. Jon Gruden is apples to oranges.

Jon Gruden is empowered to make hiring and firing decisions for a multi-billion dollar organization.  It's not like he got caught saying one thing, one time.  The dude's emails are full of disparaging remarks about blacks, gays, women, etc.  You don't think that comes into play when he's doing the hiring and firing?  It's clear as day that this dude is incredibly biased against anyone that doesn't look and talk like him.

You cannot have a guy caught saying this much stuff about so many different types of people leading your organization.  I'm certain there are a lot more Jon Grudens out there, they just weren't caught.  But when you are buddy buddy with guys like Bruce Allen and feel comfortable enough to make these kinds of comments regularly, it can come back to bite you and that's what it did to him.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

What would be best is if, prior to hiring of a coach or top level executive, the league mandated a polygraph examination to investigate which the subject has ever uttered a racist/misogynistic/homophobic epithet, or ever had a racist/misogynistic/homophobic thought.  Lie detector tests are fairly accurate (google says 87% of the time), so this would be a very effective way of procuring the types of leaders the league needs.  After all, most of these racists/misogynists/homophobes are probably smart enough not put their thoughts in writing, or those writings will never see the light of day. 

BTW-  Not just white men would need to take the polygraph.  How many people are going to pass the test? My guess is about 13%.

…..Buried in the salacious details of Gruden’s emails, was an email from Bruce Allen to right-wing host Mark Levin, whose radio show averages 11 million listeners per week. Years before Levin became one of the hosts who stoked the Capitol siege, Fox News debuted Levin’s television show Life Liberty & Levinin 2018. 

Yahoo reports:

In a later email unrelated to Gruden, from 2018, Allen told conservative talk show host Mark Levin that, “remember 90%+ of NFL players have never considered kneeling. The 10% of the players and owners are the issue (see [Eagles owner] Jeff Lurie & 49ers owner).”

“Good points, will hit some of this now,” Levin responded, presumably referring to his show.

“Thanks,” Allen wrote back. “This is so ridiculous it’s embarrassing.”

Yes, the Washington front office had been poisoning the well with the “everyone hates Kaepernick” narrative for years.

https://www.theroot.com/a-conspiracy-of-whiteness-did-an-espn-insiders-email-i-1847865926

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1