Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Jon Gruden used racist comment in referring to NFLPA head DeMaurice Smith in 2011 email

zCommander

5 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

So you’re saying either way he isn’t getting any more money?  I doubt that.

Yup

If a player or coach resigns, the team is no longer obligated to pay the contract.

Normally if a player/coach is fired, you still owe them money, but if fired for conduct detrimental to the team, the organization can get out of paying the individual and even recoup previous money through arbitration.

The second Gruden did something that all but locked up a obvious Vegas arbitration victory they knew they don't have to pay him. Letting him resign is just to let him save face and saves time since they don't have to drag him through arbitration to prevent further payments. They can simply wipe their hands and move on.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Yup

If a player or coach resigns, the team is no longer obligated to pay the contract.

Normally if a player/coach is fired, you still owe them money, but if fired for conduct detrimental to the team, the organization can get out of paying the individual and even recoup previous money through arbitration.

The second Gruden did something that all but locked up a obvious Vegas arbitration victory they knew they don't have to pay him. Letting him resign is just to let him save face and saves time since they don't have to drag him through arbitration to prevent further payments. They can simply wipe their hands and move on.

This is why I think there was a quickly negotiated settlement.  He could have dragged this out in the media forever and cost them tons in legal fees.  Him resigning had to include some sort of compensation.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

This is why I think there was a quickly negotiated settlement.  He could have dragged this out in the media forever and cost them tons in legal fees.  Him resigning had to include some sort of compensation.

I believe the NFL and Players Association handle arbitration negotiations. Outside of the uncertainty of the result and the planning that surrounds that from a financial standpoint there is no real cost.

Since Gruden all but locked up an arbitration L, and the financials of a Coach don't effect the salary cap, time and money no longer factor in. Vegas has no fear of taking him thru arbitration.

Gruden's compensation will be not having his named dragged thru the mud for the next month due to reporting on the arbitration.

Vegas has absolutely no reason to give Gruden a cent other than doing a longtime friend a solid... which I can not see in this situation since he ushered in a national embarrassment.

I think this stuff only came to light because he bad mouthed Goodell . If he didn’t, this would have been swept under the rug like the rest of the Washington investigation. Good ole boys looking out for good ole boys until you do something they don’t like. Then, they’ll take you out. NFL and Goodell don’t care. It’s all about the money and Goodell decided to make an example of Gruden and put his stuff out there. I don’t see this going any further. They leaked out what they wanted and now it will all be tight lips from here on out. 

Somehow, in all of this, Snyder is still a good guy🙄

Mike Mayock might be back on NFL Network this off-season. 

8 hours ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

I think this stuff only came to light because he bad mouthed Goodell .

The timing is certainly interesting.  I'm not sure why it came to light as people tend to like Gruden and no one outside of the owners really likes Goodell.  These e-mails stem from the WFT investigation, who in that investigation decided "Hey, look at these emails from Jon Gruden...the public should be made aware of this."?  

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

The timing is certainly interesting.  I'm not sure why it came to light as people tend to like Gruden and no one outside of the owners really likes Goodell.  These e-mails stem from the WFT investigation, who in that investigation decided "Hey, look at these emails from Jon Gruden...the public should be made aware of this."?  

Someone that thinks he’s a jerk and didn’t like the name Gruden….I suppose.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Agreed, it's all strange. Plus Smith was voted in again on Friday. He got 22 of the 32 needed votes. You need 2/3rds of the votes. 

All this started Friday. Goodell and the owners love having Smith in there. Its all suspicious. 

• Like 1

Um, why are we saying the NFLPA has anything to do with a coaches contract?

I wouldn’t be surprised if the ability to dictate the terms and public release of a firing were in his contract. 

im gonna guess we’ll be hearing about gruden being paid for 6 years to not coach over the next 6 years. 

8 minutes ago, tshile said:

Um, why are we saying the NFLPA has anything to do with a coaches contract?

I wouldn’t be surprised if the ability to dictate the terms and public release of a firing were in his contract. 

im gonna guess we’ll be hearing about gruden being paid for 6 years to not coach over the next 6 years. 

I do not see a scenario where he gets paid anything more. He resigned which breaks the contract. Even if he did not, the contract could be broken as they all have conduct clauses in them. 

I believe the thought process in terms of the NFLPA is that the owners like having Smith leading the NFLPA becasue he is not good at his job. He is a horrible negotiator. The players keep getting shafted with every now agreement. 

Edited by goskins10

Honestly, I’m surprised that Gruden is not pushing back more on this unless there are more damning emails the league wants to hold back (ex blackballing Kaepernick, collusion during the uncapped year, etc).

I find what’s been reported reprehensible, and (in my Mike Wilbon voice), am I surprised? No, not at all.

But Gruden comes off as a guy who comes across as someone who doesn’t think what he said is bad/wrong.  Look at how he made excuses for the Smith email.

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

I do not see a scenario where he gets paid anything more. He resigned which breaks the contract. Even if he did not, the contract could be broken as they all have conduct clauses in them. 

I believe the thought process in terms of the NFLPA is that the owners like having Smith leading the NFLPA becasue he is not good at his job. He is a horrible negotiator. The players keep getting shafted with every now agreement. 

I mean the scenario is that gruden negotiated these sorts of things in his contract. He was highly sought after. And the raiders wanted him bad. So bad they gave him a 10 year contract. It including him having a say in the public language used when parting ways, and waiving any claims against the contract if he resigns, waiving moral/behavior/detriment of the team clauses,  etc is not out of the question. I’m not saying he has those things, I’m just finding it interesting no one else seems to even think it’s possible despite how otherwise impossible his contract would have appeared to be (who gets 10 year contracts in any league as a coach? 10 years is an eternity)

they lured him out of a cushy MNF job that required almost no work and no risk compared to a head coaching job. He had all the leverage. It’s not absurd to think he used his leverage and was smart about it. 

and I highly doubt the nfl pa has anything to do with coaches contracts. At all. Labor unions don’t usually also represent management. At least, I’m not aware of a case of that. 

im not talking about whether the owners or goodell like smith. I’m talking about whether anything the nfl pa does, contract wise, has anything to do with a coaches contract. I seriously doubt it does, but maybe I’m wrong. 

And that it’s possible he will get paid for 6.5 years to not coach the raiders. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Obviously he had to go because those emails are unacceptable but let’s not pretend like the NFL or NFLPA are a moral compass.  We’ve had animal abusers, murderers, sexual offenders, domestic abusers, etc remain in the league.  

side note they mentioned Bruce Allen.  We’re not even playing and we’re getting embarrassed on prime time. 

Our culture is so bad, we’re getting other teams coaches fired/forced to resign. 

And when are we going to start calling Dan Snyder “The Teflon Dan?” Lol

Edited by No Nonsense
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

The NFL cracks me up.  Gruden resigns for publicly being outed for being a Neanderthal one day after the SNF telecast proclaims, “isn’t it just great that we have the fans back” while Chiefs fans do the tomahawk chop.

This ^ right here is the truth on the NFL! …..and they wear the color red.

Edited by ClaytoAli

1 hour ago, tshile said:

I mean the scenario is that gruden negotiated these sorts of things in his contract. He was highly sought after. And the raiders wanted him bad. So bad they gave him a 10 year contract. It including him having a say in the public language used when parting ways, and waiving any claims against the contract if he resigns, waiving moral/behavior/detriment of the team clauses,  etc is not out of the question. I’m not saying he has those things, I’m just finding it interesting no one else seems to even think it’s possible despite how otherwise impossible his contract would have appeared to be (who gets 10 year contracts in any league as a coach? 10 years is an eternity)

they lured him out of a cushy MNF job that required almost no work and no risk compared to a head coaching job. He had all the leverage. It’s not absurd to think he used his leverage and was smart about it. 

and I highly doubt the nfl pa has anything to do with coaches contracts. At all. Labor unions don’t usually also represent management. At least, I’m not aware of a case of that. 

im not talking about whether the owners or goodell like smith. I’m talking about whether anything the nfl pa does, contract wise, has anything to do with a coaches contract. I seriously doubt it does, but maybe I’m wrong. 

And that it’s possible he will get paid for 6.5 years to not coach the raiders. 

I do not believe the bolded would ever happen. All the rest yes. All that can be negotiated. But waiving morals clauses? I would have to see it to believe it. Admittedly I am not an attorney so I could be wrong. But again, I would have to see it to believe it. Doesn't matter honestly. Not my problem if the Raiders have to pay him for 6.5 yrs. 

My question is if there were 10 yrs of those types of messages between Gruden and Bruce, did Bruce respond the same way? If he did, would they go after him? Not sure what they could do but ban him. Also, do Jon and Jay feel the same way? Is there anything like that on danny boy? Or is Gruden the sacrificial lamb for them all? 

We know there are many more than we would like to admit that do the same **** Jon Gruden did they jsut do not get caught. Hope they start to catch them but we know it will mostly be swept under. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Llevron said:

It really pisses me off that only Washington fans are able to see how messed up this is that, of all the things, THIS is the only public thing to come from the Washington investigation.

Agreed, and just a quick look through Google, this is the only headline that calls out Washington. Everything else is about Gruden.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/it-e2-80-99s-time-for-nfl-to-release-all-information-from-the-washington-football-team-investigation/ar-AAPqj2g

2 hours ago, Ball Security said:

The NFL cracks me up.  Gruden resigns for publicly being outed for being a Neanderthal one day after the SNF telecast proclaims, “isn’t it just great that we have the fans back” while Chiefs fans do the tomahawk chop.

I mean, they're up in arms (rightfully) about Gruden's emails and they're having Eminem play the Super Bowl halftime show. 

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Really sincere apology from Gruden just put out tho. 

721D6C5C-8DFD-4FAC-BE31-C7AA883B4F43.jpeg.62a657188983b37cd28805bee16a1584.jpeg

The Castellanos bit doesn't get old. 

• Like 2