Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Buffalo vs. Landover Junior Varsity

KDawg

I don't know if anybody's mentioned this yet, but I think it's pretty obvious that this team has been playing really badly ever since we let Peyton Barber go. It's a shame he was never given a shot here. Look what he did yesterday. He's truly an elite running back and I'm happy to see him finally get a chance to prove the doubters wrong. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, duffy said:

I don't know if anybody's mentioned this yet, but I think it's pretty obvious that this team has been playing really badly ever since we let Peyton Barber go. It's a shame he was never given a shot here. Look what he did yesterday. He's truly an elite running back and I'm happy to see him finally get a chance to prove the doubters wrong. 

Barber is lucky to get out. We don’t cater to strengths around here. 

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Del Rio is the first defensive coach we've had since Gregg Williams who actually had a bunch of top rated defenses on his resume.  We've clamored for a dude like that and most embraced him last year.

We start 1-2 and that's enough and he's the problem, time to move on?  Feels like an emotional overreaction to me.    Teams can get smoked.  Heck the mighty Gregg Williams' defense was embarrassed by the Pats who if I recall put up like 50 points against them.  Heck he even had a bad season in that mix, too.   I know not everyone here liked Gregg.  But I think its hard to argue he wasn't the defensive coach we've had with the best reputation under Dan aside from maybe Marvin Lewis.  The Jets defense was bad, Gregg arrived and helped make it top 10.   He did the same here.  Helped the Saints win a SB.  Obviously he had other issues there that brought trouble.  I am not saying Gregg was the be all and end all but Del Rio is probably the biggest name we've had since Gregg.

Lets see how they respond from the whopping from Buffalo.  Like you I think the defense will turnaround to some extent.  Will see.

So you want Del Rio fired and Gregg hired.......subconsciously of course.🤪🤪🤪

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

I want to add: I’m tired of seeing Chase Young in zone blitzes.

I’m also curious if there’s more to the D stinking than we as a fan base are privy to.

Sheehan was saying all day that something doesnt smell right.  Heard him ask Standig about and he didnt have anything to add. 

I could see some sort of clash between Rivera and the non-vaxxers, could see some sort of lack of maturity and distraction with Young and Sweat (but that doesnt fit the category hes wondering about in my view, lots of young guys go through that)...other than that, just not sure what hes getting at.  

Of all the story lines in the league, and I do follow the entjre league very closely, hands down the most surprising to me is Chase Young being invisible through 3 games.  Totally blindsided by it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, duffy said:

absolutely-emma-stone.gif

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Del Rio is the first defensive coach we've had since Gregg Williams who actually had a bunch of top rated defenses on his resume.  We've clamored for a dude like that and most embraced him last year.

We start 1-2 and that's enough and he's the problem, time to move on?  Feels like an emotional overreaction to me.    Teams can get smoked.  Heck the mighty Gregg Williams' defense was embarrassed by the Pats who if I recall put up like 50 points against them.  Heck he even had a bad season in that mix, too.   I know not everyone here liked Gregg.  But I think its hard to argue he wasn't the defensive coach we've had with the best reputation under Dan aside from maybe Marvin Lewis.  The Jets defense was bad, Gregg arrived and helped make it top 10.   He did the same here.  Helped the Saints win a SB.  Obviously he had other issues there that brought trouble.  I am not saying Gregg was the be all and end all but Del Rio is probably the biggest name we've had since Gregg.

Lets see how they respond from the whopping from Buffalo.  Like you I think the defense will turnaround to some extent.  Will see.

On the part bolded, you are probably right but I still think he is the problem. I was one of those who embraced him last year and I agree on paper he is more like what most of us wanted. And I have defended some other DCs but it was becasue they had poor talent. Also, I very rarely see getting rid of the coach as the answer. But this is a what have you done for me lately business. And it's not just one game. They looked horrible in all 3 games and much of the preseason. He is making no adjustments - at least none we can see. Is that all players not taking coaching? That is also a problem, a different problem but still a problem with the coach. 

There is just too much talent, especially on that DLine for the D to be playing this poorly. I will be glad to rescind my request if the D comes out and starts to play better. But a few more games like this and he needs to go. 

First time to see game in Buffalo...ugh. The Bills Mafia surely didn't mock us Washington fans, they felt sorry for us and rightfully so. A few things that stood out to me as things unfolded or should I say unraveled in front of me.

When our defense was on the field:

The Bad

Either Sanders, Beasley or Diggs was open right from the snap. Believe it or not Allen missed a number of big play opportunities more than he had.

If Bostic was on the field, they were passing. This is year 3 of me and others saying he should be replaced for having slow instincts and general game speed.

Chases freelances hurts including missing contain a number of times. 

Collins should have been released and just eat the cap hit.

The Good

Curl should never be off the field

Payne and Allen played ok

If used properly, St-Juste can be special

When our offense was on the field:

The Bad

No one was open right off the line like the Bills receivers.

Play calling was rough and even I was predicting around 50% of the plays...terrible

Heinicke was terrible reading the field, made some poor decisions and didn't have enough heat on some of his passes (they winds were strong and inconsistent).  It was like he was not prepared.

There were some tough dropped passes and key spots

The Good

Terry

Considering they were up against a top D and playing from behind the while game, the OL did ok

I would give our OC and DC raspberries in this game. 

RR has to make sure he has the team backing him. Then he needs to sit down with JDR and tell him to change the personnel to figure out how to use the players to their strengths. Otherwise, send him packing and get someone in who will.

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 86 Snyder said:

Sheehan was saying all day that something doesnt smell right.  Heard him ask Standig about and he didnt have anything to add. 

I could see some sort of clash between Rivera and the non-vaxxers, could see some sort of lack of maturity and distraction with Young and Sweat (but that doesnt fit the category hes wondering about in my view, lots of young guys go through that)...other than that, just not sure what hes getting at.  

Of all the story lines in the league, and I do follow the entjre league very closely, hands down the most surprising to me is Chase Young being invisible through 3 games.  Totally blindsided by it.

What made me think about it was Chase yelling at Del Rio on the sideline. Something is boiling. What? No idea. May be small and easy to overcome. May not be. But there’s something.

14 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

So, to re-state something I've said many times on this board over the years- we have NEVER engaged in a rebuild. 

In a rebuild, you have to tear things down, at least a little, accept short term losses while prioritizing the long term, and trying to build something for the future. We haven't done that. Not at any point this century.

When you're spending big on Free Agents, spending future draft capital, investing in aging players, holding onto diminishing assets until they leave for zero return, etc, you are not rebuilding. You are trying to win now. And people often discount that because "win now" isn't for a team that's got a shot at really contending. So they think and say "we're not really trying to contend now" so they equate that with "building". It's not. It's trying to win enough in the here and now to keep fans on the hook and keep FO jobs safe. The prefect example was the Alex Smith trade. We traded a good young player and a good draft pick for the right to pay a ton of money to a middle of the pack 34 year old QB. Did the team thing that would help them contend for anything? Doubtful. But they thought it would be enough to stay in the .500 range and in position for a possible lucky playoff berth or two over five years or so. That was the priority and it's not any kind of rebuilding.

Last year they had a chance for a really quick, small rebuild. At 1-5 approaching the trade deadline, they had a choice- deal some veterans who won't be part of the long-term for some draft capital, free up extra cap space and take the one down year for a higher draft position, or they could chase a miracle 7-9 playoff berth, They chose the latter. And, for what it's worth, it "worked". But again, it was the opposite of rebuilding. 

People, can, and will, defend that approach. And that's fine. We can keep talking about those 7-9 types of seasons building the "culture of winning" that we've been hearing about for two decades. But it's not rebuilding, no matter how many times people want to complain about the "constant state of rebuilding" that we hear about all the time on this board. You can't have one of those if you never actually try to rebuild. 

While there's plenty there I agree with, including that they've never actually torn everything down and started from scratch (which for me starts with a GM with a vision for the team hiring a coaching staff aligned to that vision and a scouting team that can identify the right players), it's not the only approach. It may well be the approach this team needs to take, but the number of teams who take this approach are relatively few and results far from guaranteed.

In recent history, the two teams that spring to mind that have done this are Cleveland and Miami. In the former case, we're seeing the benefits and even if they're at their ceiling as a team, I think as fans of this team we'd take where they are now over where our team are. The jury's still out on Miami. I suspect their fate is tied to Tua and it's not going to pan out. How many of the current dominant teams have got to that point by taking a similar approach though?

Washington has done a much better job of valuing draft capital in recent years, although I'm sure 3-4 more picks in the first 3 rounds over the past couple of drafts would have made a difference and is really something we're yet to see. However, to say they've had the opportunity under Rivera is, to me, something of a fallacy. He did trade Trent (point absolutely correct about reducing value of our players in this case). Who else do you propose would have brought in decent capital from last year's roster? I'd say Scherff and Moses, maybe a DL but that's about it. But consider that most trades in recent history in the NFL yield picks in rounds 5-7 and no team traded for OL between the start of the season and the trade deadline last year.

The best option for acquiring good draft capital would have been trading out of the #2 spot, assuming there was a trade partner. However, a pass rusher is considered a key building block alongside LT and QB and a highly regarded one was available. It's hard to fault that without knowing there was an offer in the table that would have given the opportunity for a proper rebuild.

Not looking to fault you, just to discuss. Would like to hear some counter arguments 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

What made me think about it was Chase yelling at Del Rio on the sideline. Something is boiling. What? No idea. May be small and easy to overcome. May not be. But there’s something.

Yup.

I really doubt this D jelled like it should have during the offseason. Players are really not on the same page at all. You also have to wonder if some aren't doing it willingfully just to piss Del Rio or somebody else on D.

10 hours ago, goskins10 said:

On the part bolded, you are probably right but I still think he is the problem. I was one of those who embraced him last year and I agree on paper he is more like what most of us wanted. And I have defended some other DCs but it was becasue they had poor talent. Also, I very rarely see getting rid of the coach as the answer. But this is a what have you done for me lately business. And it's not just one game. They looked horrible in all 3 games and much of the preseason. He is making no adjustments - at least none we can see. Is that all players not taking coaching? That is also a problem, a different problem but still a problem with the coach. 

There is just too much talent, especially on that DLine for the D to be playing this poorly. I will be glad to rescind my request if the D comes out and starts to play better. But a few more games like this and he needs to go. 

Not sure but my feeling on it is I think firing him now would look a bit strange, somewhat old school Dan, and I don't think its warranted unless there is some side story to what's going on that I am not aware of.  For example people were saying blitz more.  I learned from Keim they blitzed in the first two games more than any team.  Rewatching some games last year it struck me and I commented about it on a thread that Del Rio loves to rush his MLBs in blitzes but not so much the secondary, and I'd mix it up.  This season we've seen some secondary blitzes.  So I don't know if its Del Rio sticking to the same method and not mixing it up.  At least on some fronts I know he is trying new things.  

I didn't really think that deeply until yesterday about what London Fletcher meant to this defense.  And I recall how much Gregg touted what he meant to the defense and ditto what Pierce did.  The WFT defense fell off the cliff under Gregg when they arguably got rid of their two smartest players on defense, Ryan Clark and Antonio Pierce.  The defense was so bad as you might rememeber that it got that infamous national article about what happened and what contributed to its demise.  Somehow that same defense bounced back the next year when they replaced Lemar Marshall with London Fletcher at MLB.

Watching Fletcher's brain at work was fun, I recall before the snap on one play he repositioned Reed Doughty and bam he was right in the perfect place to stop a run. 

I recall on another play he repositioned multiple players before the snap and them bam they stopped Brandon Jacobs in his tracks.   

I recall the plays that the Giants attributed as the key that propelled them to the SB, when the WFT had three plays on the goal line to win the game but Antonio Pierce directed three consecutive stops, 2 of them on the left side, where Pierce said later he knew from that formation where the WFT were gong with the play. 

Bringing this all to Del Rio.  I admit my mind isn't quick enough to judge a defensive scheme on the fly during a game, I am usually watching the ball more so than the scheme.  For me to watch the scheme I have to rewatch it preferrably with all 22 and form an opinion and I haven't gone that deep on it yet and don't have the all 22 yet.  For me I want to see how he and the other coaches respond.  All of our defensive coaches including Gregg have had bad runs in the mix.  But how do they respond?   Assistant coaches, especially ones coming off of a year where his unit was ranked #2 don't get fired after 3 games the next season. 

So I am not swearing by Del Rio.  But with Rivera constantly saying the defense isn't playing sound assignment football, I'll give some leeway on the point.  Maybe its true?  I tend to go back to the London Fletcher days in my mind.  I get the idea of hey coach them up and they will play sound regardless of who is the QB on the field.  But listening to Gregg Williams gush about London Fletcher and seeing what he did on the field.  I don't think for example Gregg poorly coached them up and Fletcher had to make it up for him.  I just think in the heat of the battle players can make mistakes regardless of how they practiced. 

We see QBs all the time reposition their players when they are lined up the wrong way.  Heck that was one of the things that coaches touted about Alex Smith.  They'd imply his stats might not be pretty but he can make sure everyone is lined up right and the right protection scheme was set.  I do think there is an element to that on defense.  And I do think that a mostly young defense is really suffering for not having that guy, coupled with poor players in some key spots. 

It's an apt point maybe to make on this thread considering @KDawg is the leader of the band about how lacking our LBs are and the fallout from that.  He coaches football and knows a lot more about this than I do.  As I told him on the draft thread while I've been out on Bostic for a long time, I am now out too on Holcomb.  He's been out on both guys.   I think we got a lot of players playing poorly right now across the board.  I expect at least some of them to wake up.  But there might be too many holes up the middle for this defense to be anything special.  Obviously they can get away with it against the Nick Mullens types of the NFL.  But good QBs will keep carving them up the middle, just like Allen did. 

There is so much I can blame that on Del Rio.  It would be one thing if he had a chekered reputation like Haslett and Manusky.   But I'll give him some rope and see if they can sort this out to some extent. 

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Thats been my guess too. 

The thing that Sheehan and Keim among others have said was there was tension between their D line coach, Sam Mills, and the players last year.  They disagreed with some of his teachings as to technique among other things, especially Ioannidis was hot about it.   Sheehan speculated recently if some of that is boiling over to now.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

That Washington Times article linked in the Twitter feed is an excruciating read. Compares Young to Arrington and implies he is blaming the rest of the defence for his inadequacies.

I love Chase, I think he's typically a good leader but I don't love his comments in recent weeks.  The comment which more or less said that he doesn't know what's going on behind him and can't help that -- suggesting that's been the problem.  I get it.  The back 7 isn't as good as the front 4.  And I've defended Chase on this thread and will still defend him.  I think the sacks will come.  But I would like it better if he just said look I got to make plays and leave the rest of the defense out of his comments.   Otherwise it comes off like scapegoating.

Part of my beef with this defense is all the bragging before the season about how good they are including from Chase.  And heck when the Giants offense steamrolled them, the players at least comment wise seemed to shrug it off.   it did feel to me that the players got big headed and actually needed to be humiliated in a game to showcase they aren't the top defense in the league and Sweat-Chase aren't going to set the NFL record for sacks along with all the other bravado we heard from them this off season.  

Reading and hearing a lot about Chase, he comes off as a hard worker, he goes a mile an hour and gives everything he's got and cares about his teammates.  But if I had to land on a personality weakness it might be ego.    Terry McLaurin for example comes off as humble as it gets in spite of him being IMO the best player on this team.  Chase carries himself like a star.  That's cool.  And he does work hard.  But sometimes some forced humility helps bring out the best out of guys like Chase.  It's part of the reason why I think Chase breaks out soon.  i didn't feel based on his comments that Chase was that mad after the Giants game, it does feel like he's mad now. 

3 minutes ago, max21 said:

I mean, he's not wrong. But it sounds to me like he's firing back at Del Rio and Rivera through the media like Rivera and Del Rio have fired at him. Indirect pot shots.

I wouldn't say Young has maturity issues in the sense he has character concerns. But he is young. And to get yourself in a pissing match with the guys who employ you is a dangerous road. So far, it won't hurt him. He can go elsewhere tomorrow and have a job and start. But its something he should be wary of.

Just following on from SIP's lengthy post above, that play against the Giant's (I think?) where Bostic physically moved the players around him into position and they stopped the play dead was amazing. He's clearly got the brain, like Fletcher and Pierce, I'm guessing he just doesn't have the physical tools to go with it.

I have more of concern with RR with all these jabs at each other. I figured he would take accountability for all of this but whatever. If the defense lays an egg against the Falcons oh boy it will get messy. I’m sure JDR saying it doesn’t matter if you’re chipped or doubled and mentioning Mack and Miller has not sit well with Chase. But it’s kinda true, I really hope Chase starts to dominate so we can just worry about QB or linebackers or something lol 

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not sure but my feeling on it is I think firing him now would look a bit strange, somewhat old school Dan, and I don't think its warranted unless there is some side story to what's going on that I am not aware of.  For example people were saying blitz more.  I learned from Keim they blitzed in the first two games more than any team.  Rewatching some games last year it struck me and I commented about it on a thread that Del Rio loves to rush his MLBs in blitzes but not so much the secondary, and I'd mix it up.  This season we've seen some secondary blitzes.  So I don't know if its Del Rio sticking to the same method and not mixing it up.  At least on some fronts I know he is trying new things.  

I didn't really think that deeply until yesterday about what London Fletcher meant to this defense.  And I recall how much Gregg touted what he meant to the defense and ditto what Pierce did.  The WFT defense fell off the cliff under Gregg when they arguably got rid of their two smartest players on defense, Ryan Clark and Antonio Pierce.  The defense was so bad as you might rememeber that it got that infamous national article about what happened and what contributed to its demise.  Somehow that same defense bounced back the next year when they replaced Lemar Marshall with London Fletcher at MLB.

Watching Fletcher's brain at work was fun, I recall before the snap on one play he repositioned Reed Doughty and bam he was right in the perfect place to stop a run. 

I recall on another play he repositioned multiple players before the snap and them bam they stopped Brandon Jacobs in his tracks.   

I recall the plays that the Giants attributed as the key that propelled them to the SB, when the WFT had three plays on the goal line to win the game but Antonio Pierce directed three consecutive stops, 2 of them on the left side, where Pierce said later he knew from that formation where the WFT were gong with the play. 

Bringing this all to Del Rio.  I admit my mind isn't quick enough to judge a defensive scheme on the fly during a game, I am usually watching the ball more so than the scheme.  For me to watch the scheme I have to rewatch it preferrably with all 22 and form an opinion and I haven't gone that deep on it yet and don't have the all 22 yet.  For me I want to see how he and the other coaches respond.  All of our defensive coaches including Gregg have had bad runs in the mix.  But how do they respond?   Assistant coaches, especially ones coming off of a year where his unit was ranked #2 don't get fired after 3 games the next season. 

So I am not swearing by Del Rio.  But with Rivera constantly saying the defense isn't playing sound assignment football, I'll give some leeway on the point.  Maybe its true?  I tend to go back to the London Fletcher days in my mind.  I get the idea of hey coach them up and they will play sound regardless of who is the QB on the field.  But listening to Gregg Williams gush about London Fletcher and seeing what he did on the field.  I don't think for example Gregg poorly coached them up and Fletcher had to make it up for him.  I just think in the heat of the battle players can make mistakes regardless of how they practiced. 

We see QBs all the time reposition their players when they are lined up the wrong way.  Heck that was one of the things that coaches touted about Alex Smith.  They'd imply his stats might not be pretty but he can make sure everyone is lined up right and the right protection scheme was set.  I do think there is an element to that on defense.  And I do think that a mostly young defense is really suffering for not having that guy, coupled with poor players in some key spots. 

It's an apt point maybe to make on this thread considering @KDawg is the leader of the band about how lacking our LBs are and the fallout from that.  He coaches football and knows a lot more about this than I do.  As I told him on the draft thread while I've been out on Bostic for a long time, I am now out too on Holcomb.  He's been out on both guys.   I think we got a lot of players playing poorly right now across the board.  I expect at least some of them to wake up.  But there might be too many holes up the middle for this defense to be anything special.  Obviously they can get away with it against the Nick Mullens types of the NFL.  But good QBs will keep carving them up the middle, just like Allen did. 

There is so much I can blame that on Del Rio.  It would be one thing if he had a chekered reputation like Haslett and Manusky.   But I'll give him some rope and see if they can sort this out to some extent. 

The thing that Sheehan and Keim among others have said was there was tension between their D line coach, Sam Mills, and the players last year.  They disagreed with some of his teachings as to technique among other things, especially Ioannidis was hot about it.   Sheehan speculated recently if some of that is boiling over to now.  

I can't believe I am making this argument as I am typically the one saying give it some time and firing mid-season is not good. But I just see this differently. The bolded is not really true. Dan has rarely fired anyone midseason. Don't get me wrong I still believe Dan is a POS but the narrative of him firing coaches all the time is actually not true. He just keeps hiring **** and then if anything keeps them too long. 

Holding onto his long past history seems a bit short sighted. His last good D was 2014 in Denver as the DC. BTW: He was up and down - 2012 good, 2013 bad, 2014 good. Then for 3 seasons in Oakland as HC his Ds were average in terms pts and below average in terms of yards. Then he was out of football for 3 seasons. So not sure saying he has a good history is even accurate at this time. 

Good organizations make adjustments. Look at the Ravens who have fired OCs several times midseason. It sends a message that do your job or get shown the door. And no one is immune. I believe Tomlin fired some assistants midseason before. 

Honestly it really doesn't matter what I think or want. I seriously doubt they make a change. I am jsut very frustrated with how this D is performing. I thought we finally had a unit we could count on. And then this garbage gets thrown at us. 

• Like 1

Heard Rivera on 106.7.

A.  Comes off determined.  He said if the defense doesn't correct their flaws after the meeting they had yesterday something is wrong.  He seems to suggest they will.

B.  He was asked a lot about Chase.  He said Chase is playing really hard, maybe too hard but needs to play smarter.  He needs to develop more counter moves.  He said he's allowing the tackles to keep him too much on the outside and he needs to counter with an inside move.  He said Sweat is doing a better job of countering inside.  But they both need to vary their moves more.  Go up and under, hump move, spin move, etc.  He said they can do it but need to bring more variety to what they do.  He disagreed that Chase only has one move but he wants to see him mix it up more and especially have an a counter move to the inside considering how tackles are playing him now.

C.  He liked how the Bills built their team, very well rounded, he highlighted their secondary some, LBs.  He said the Bills is the model here that they are trying to copy though he admitted the Bills having a QB helps a lot and their team is somewhat Qb driven for that reason.

D. He likes Heinicke but wants him to play smarter and thought this game was a good learning experience.

E. Highlighted Gibson, Terry, L. Thomas notwithstanding the fumble as good play makers on this team.

F.  He's been mostly satisfied with the O line.

G.  There is a chance Curtis Samuel comes back this week. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I can't believe I am making this argument as I am typically the one saying give it some time and firing mid-season is not good. But I just see this differently. The bolded is not really true. Dan has rarely fired anyone midseason. Don't get me wrong I still believe Dan is a POS but the narrative of him firing coaches all the time is actually not true. He just keeps hiring **** and then if anything keeps them too long. 

Agree to an extent.   That's why I said "old school" Dan.  Fired Norv. Seemed like he wanted to fire Nolan.   But actually it sort of helps make my point in that it feels reactionary even by Dan's standards.   Maybe Steinnbrenner is the better analogy?  :ols:

Holding onto his long past history seems a bit short sighted. His last good D was 2014 in Denver as the DC. BTW: He was up and down - 2012 good, 2013 bad, 2014 good. Then for 3 seasons in Oakland as HC his Ds were average in terms pts and below average in terms of yards. Then he was out of football for 3 seasons. So not sure saying he has a good history is even accurate at this time. 

His track record is good enough for me.   I can't blame him for the years out of football and in his first year back his defense ranked #2.

Like you said i am a talent > coaching guy but I value both.  I agree with you on many subjects.  On this one we are a mile apart, I think its actually ridiculous to even consider canning him now (but that's me) unless there is some subplot story I don't know of.  If the defense stinks this season, yeah maybe when the season is over but not now or anytime soon this season

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/one-key-thing-jack-del-rio-has-past-redskins-defensive-coordinators-didnt

In his one season as D.C. for the Panthers back in 2002, Del Rio's group finished 2nd in yards allowed and 5th in points. Then, in that position with Denver during a three-year run from 2012 to 2014, he saw his players finish 2nd, 19th and 3rd in yards allowed and 4th, 22nd and 16th in points allowed. 

In between those two stints, he was head coach of the Jaguars for nearly a decade. Jacksonville ended up in the top-third of the league in one of those two crucial areas plenty of times when he was at the helm there as well.

Now feels like a good time to note Washington hasn't found itself in the top-five in yards or points since 2008.

That track record is a major difference from the last three guys to call the shots on defense for the Burgundy and Gold in Greg Manusky, Joe Barry — who literally oversaw the worst defense in the league TWICE in his two seasons as coordinator before joining the Redskins — and Jim Haslett. 

Honestly it really doesn't matter what I think or want. I seriously doubt they make a change. I am jsut very frustrated with how this D is performing. I thought we finally had a unit we could count on. And then this garbage gets thrown at us. 

I hear you.  Rivera basically said this morning what i think when it comes to games like Sunday.  It's about how you react.  i want to see how they react.  It's genuinely the last thing that runs through my mind early in the season if a unit is shown up to fire that coach.  Instead, I am very curious to see how they respond.

I want to see how the fat man responds after the heart attack versus writing the fat man off after the heart attack.  if the fat man stuffs himself with donuts after the heart attack, then my concern level skyrockets.  Right now on a scale of 0-10 my desire to fire Del Rio is at a dead 0.  But if the defense flags throughout the season, then yeah i'd be open to it, and will climb game to game but right now my feelings on it are totally flat. 
  • Like 2