Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Buffalo vs. Landover Junior Varsity

KDawg

Why we can we not trade for Jamie Collins....or somebody beside Bostic. I just don't know why there's logical reasoning for him to be on the field. Cosmi is being sent to the wolves to learn. Let Jamin learn. I do believe there is legitimate feelings of how refs call our game. I did see multiple holdings on their first drive that refuses to get called. But regardless ... this team is poorly playing and it's just astonishing to me that for 10 days this was our plan 

7 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

I dont see a light at the end of the tunnel here at this point i think we are a first round playoff loss team at the very best.....id prefer to end up with a top 5 pick again and maybe we get lucky on a player that can actually change the course of for this team 

Jim Mora Playoffs GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

IIRC the real good LBs like Lavonte David and Matt Milano all got re-signed pretty quick.

That much is true.

But can you honestly say that Denzel Perryman isn't an upgrade?

Benardrick McKinney? Christian Kirksey? Jarrad Davis? Jayon Brown (I think he signed early, too, though)? Raekwon McMillan? Reggie Ragland? Shaq Griffen? Nick Vigil? Haason Reddick? Samson Ebukam? Tyus Bowser?

Keep in mind I'm not saying these dudes are studs... but... upgrades.

• Like 3

Man, I didn't even want to log in tonight, but here I am. What an awful game. And the future doesn't look so bright either. I really expected this defense to take a step forward into the elite tier. Unfortunately, they have played pretty bad thus far. I thought the offense was going to be the weakness of this team. While they haven't been great, I still feel like they've done a decent enough job. Hopefully the coaching staff will adjust and things will get better going forward. But it's been tough watching these games. We should probably be 0 - 3 right now.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Gotta show some luv to the Special Teams.

Coverage was consistent. If anyone who re-watches the film wants to see sterling ST play, watch Apke on nearly every punt. This might have been one of his best STs games. He was everywhere. Some of the lone excitement I got from this game was watching that guy work. Even on a play where he absolutely Muk'd the wrong guy when the returner ran into his own teammate.

image.jpeg.f21c85e1b734b6bab7c51094fd6f2032.jpeg

Also mad love to the Oline and Cosmi in general. Every time I looked at him he was absolutely glued to his man. Dang near wearing his guys jersey. It was wildly impressive after the first two weeks.

Gibby was Gibby... but man, if your guy runs for 70+ yds, and you get the ball right back, plz don't immediately run the same player on pitch out sweeps. Either Gibby has to have the humility to tap himself out, or the guys in charge have to see he needs a blow. the man was dead tired after that and we had him out there trying to capture edges.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 4

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

That much is true.

Benardrick McKinney? Christian Kirksey? Jarrad Davis? Jayon Brown (I think he signed early, too, though)? Raekwon McMillan? Reggie Ragland? Shaq Griffen? Nick Vigil? Haason Reddick? Samson Ebukam? Tyus Bowser?

I'd take London Fletcher and Marcus Washington's retired asses over Bostic and Holcomb at this point.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Gotta show some luv to the Special Teams.

Coverage was consistent. If anyone who re-watches the film wants to see sterling ST play, watch Apke on nearly every punt. This might have been one of his best STs games. He was everywhere. Some of the lone excitement I got from this game was watching that guy work. Even on a play where he absolutely Muk'd the wrong guy when the returner ran into his own teammate.

image.jpeg.f21c85e1b734b6bab7c51094fd6f2032.jpeg

Also mad love to the Oline and Cosmi in general. Every time I looked at him he was absolutely glued to his man. Dang near wearing his guys jersey. It was wildly impressive after the first two weeks.

Gibby was Gibby... but man, if your guy runs for 70+ yds, and you get the ball right back, plz don't immediately run the same player on pitch out sweeps. Either Gibby has to have the humility to tap himself out, or the guys in charge have to see he needs a blow. the man was dead tired after that and we had him out there trying to capture edges.

Yes I could have said the OL was the best unit on the field today, and they were, but without the film it’s so hard to see who the standout guys were. But yes, they DO deserve some love.

Show of hands for anyone who thought we’d be able to say, “the OL did awesome but we lost by 80”.

• Sad 1
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, profusion said:

I think we're seeing why Ron didn't give up a sufficient fortune to get a top-shelf QB. This team still has too many holes to be in win-now mode.

Defense looks like it's going in the wrong direction, though.

You mean the D that was touted as elite and a legit top 3-5 candidate being 31st is the wrong direction?

• Sad 1

Just now, profusion said:

I think we're seeing why Ron didn't give up a sufficient fortune to get a top-shelf QB. This team still has too many holes to be in win-now mode.

Defense looks like it's going in the wrong direction, though.

True but a good QB disguises a lot.

Look at how much better the Rams look with Stafford compared to Goff/Wofford last year.

I think what is the most discouraging about the defense so far in 2021 is that they have seemed to perform worse each game. The weaknesses are what we assumed they would be going into the season, but the depth on this team must also be so bad that they can't even get a chance at helping make plays there.  Jamin Davis is out there as a rookie and while he is raw and has a long way to go, but the plays he is already making are ones Bostic and Holcomb haven't made since they've been on the team. 

In Week 1, it is always hard to give a full assessment but all things considered I think Herbet was at least forced to show why he is such a highly heralded QB in only his 2nd year.  Yes, the defense gave up a lot of yards and receptions, but Herbet had to be extremely accurate and fit a lot of throws into tight coverage that his WR's made along the sidelines.  It was an actual display of high level skill by a QB.  In Week 2 & 3.....I didn't feel the Jones or Allen were ever even really forced into that many tough situations on passing downs. Every pass they threw seemed to be to a wide open waiting WR, no defender ever around (not this didn't ever happen in Week 1, but there was a lot more contested passes} We know Allen is a good QB, but why not find ways that force him to be great?

On offense, Gibson is showing both why he is explosive and needs to see more opportunities, but also is still raw as a pure RB.  There is still no excuse as to why he seems to go through big chunks of the game on the sideline.  If you don't trust him 100% as a RB yet, fine, use him in the passing game.  Why put him on the sideline and take away his playmaking ability from the field?  Just makes no sense.  The passing game pretty much seems to right back to "Is Terry open? No? Oh well, throw it to him anyway because there's no hope with anyone else" Dyami Brown has won some coverage battles, but dude needs to catch the ball.  Logan Thomas is still balling out, but he also isn't getting the ball enough.  I don't know how coverages are handling Terry & Logan but you'd think their attention would leave a bunch of others in single coverage match ups, why isn't it translating into completions?  Why does every other team seem to utilize their entire roster?

With Rivera we keep hearing how he doesn't like giving up draft capital to trade for players, and I can definitely see the merit in that, which is to build a consistent winner and not just a quick 1-2 season flash in the pan.  I get it, and am on board with it, but I also feel there needs to be some solid progress shown by the end of this season that the pieces being drafted are headed that way.  Right now it seems like they are somewhat going backwards, but it could also be the growing pains of the NFL having more film and study on these players and schemes.  Let's see how they respond as the season goes on. 

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 3

Just now, KDawg said:

You mean the D that was touted as elite and a legit top 3-5 candidate being 31st is the wrong direction?

I don't care how it was touted. Heck, I'm talking about the actual results on the field versus last year. The defense is completely disjointed and punchless now. 

I've got the Packers/49ers game on in the background and I wish we could find a way to use Dyami Brown the way the 49ers use Deebo Samuel.  Most of his receptions (or carries, pitches, laterals etc etc) are given to him at the line of scrimmage or barely 2 yards downfield, almost like a screen, but because of his speed, all you need to do is get him into some space and he is almost guaranteed to go out there and get a 1st down and a lot more.   I feel like we have more weapons on this team that we could utilize but this scheme feels so traditional in it's design that some of the speed & quickness is being wasted out there.

1 minute ago, profusion said:

I don't care how it was touted. Heck, I'm talking about the actual results on the field versus last year. The defense is completely disjointed and punchless now. 

I think we were a middle of the road D last year as well. I think our personnel fit each other better defensively as well. But the D floundered in big moments against good QBs and feasted on backups. They’re not as cohesive skill set wise this year and they are worse.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

On offense, Gibson is showing both why he is explosive and needs to see more opportunities, but also is still raw as a pure RB.  There is still no excuse as to why he seems to go through big chunks of the game on the sideline.  If you don't trust him 100% as a RB yet, fine, use him in the passing game.  Why put him on the sideline and take away his playmaking ability from the field?  Just makes no sense.  The passing game pretty much seems to right back to "Is Terry open? No? Oh well, throw it to him anyway because there's no hope with anyone else" Dyami Brown has won some coverage battles, but dude needs to catch the ball.  Logan Thomas is still balling out, but he also isn't getting the ball enough.  I don't know how coverages are handling Terry & Logan but you'd think their attention would leave a bunch of others in single coverage match ups, why isn't it translating into completions?  Why does every other team seem to utilize their entire roster?

With Rivera we keep hearing how he doesn't like giving up draft capital to trade for players, and I can definitely see the merit in that, which is to build a consistent winner and not just a quick 1-2 season flash in the pan.  I get it, and am on board with it, but I also feel there needs to be some solid progress shown by the end of this season that the pieces being drafted are headed that way.  Right now it seems like they are somewhat going backwards, but it could also be the growing pains of the NFL having more film and study on these players and schemes.  Let's see how they respond as the season goes on. 

I'd run Gibson less and use him as a receiver more. Kinda like what the Panthers do with C Mac and Saints with Kamara. That long TD wasn't a rush, it was a pass.

I think we're trying to use our roster, but a lot of the guys just aren't that good. Our top four draft picks are all starters(although Brown is only starting because of the injury to Samuel).

The truth is this is still a rebuilding team that made the playoffs last year solely because the division was so awful and we got to fatten up against a ridiculously high # of backup QBs and/or OLs.

1 minute ago, NoCalMike said:

I've got the Packers/49ers game on in the background and I wish we could find a way to use Dyami Brown the way the 49ers use Deebo Samuel.  Most of his receptions (or carries, pitches, laterals etc etc) are given to him at the line of scrimmage or barely 2 yards downfield, almost like a screen, but because of his speed, all you need to do is get him into some space and he is almost guaranteed to go out there and get a 1st down and a lot more.   I feel like we have more weapons on this team that we could utilize but this scheme feels so traditional in it's design that some of the speed & quickness is being wasted out there.

Brown isn't like Samuel. Samuel is more quick and explosive. Brown has straight line speed but doesn't have that same shiftiness. At this point Brown is a little bit better version of Josh Doctson.

• Like 1

So frustrated.

- we can't stop 3rd downs

- Josh Allen was making those quick, short throws look so easy.   6 - 8 yard gains every time.   Why can't we do that?

- also, why do our guys not protect the football.  And our defenders rarely punch the ball like t white did.  Seems like basic stuff.

- that PI on wj3 on diggs was laughable. Diggs clearly pushed him down

- why does it seem our d lineman get held when watching replays.  It's never called. Can they not sell it?  Like the t bay game where there were stills where it was so obnoxious. I know holding could probably be called on every play, but it's like the ghost of Ryan kerrigan that we never get holding calls

- del Rio deserves the blame.  I love the del taco comment made earlier.  Middle of the field is wide open for easy completions

- put chase young on a milk carton

- can Landon Collins just go away. Id rather give a youngun a shot.  We know LC isn't here next year

- I still believe in TH

- man we need a second wr.  Trying to force it to t Mac has led to crucial turnovers

- Payne is a beast

- same old skins.  Not nearly good enough to compete with the big boys, but not bad enough to get a top pick

- I was so mad when my wife made plans with another family to go apple picking today at 1. I shut my phone off for the day and watched the recording tonight.  I may do it every Sunday, at least I wasn't miserable until 8 pm tonight

• Like 1

With the way the top QB's coming out of the draft are looking, I am kind of happy we did not have the high pick this year.  Next year, with Collins gone, and the two rookies on defense having time to develop, I would hope we can have a basically good defense.   Collins should free up money for a linebacker or we could get one in the second or third round.  You all seem to have much more knowledge than I, and it seems like in your opinion Fuller does not fit in the man to man scheme we are developing.  When he goes that frees up some more money.  I hope by the end of the year we will have a more defined idea of what we need.

12 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I know he dropped a ball today but Dyami needs to sit and Cam needs to play. Despite being the slowest receiver on the team, he may be the best YAC guy on the team

52 minutes ago, KDawg said:

That much is true.

I was frankly surprised they didn't make a harder run at Nicholas Morrow, who JDR drafted in Oakland. Also I know he can't cover but please bring in Bernardrick McKinney asap