Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

7 hours ago, SpacePenguin said:

I think the dismantling of the offensive line over the course of a few years has just as much to do with how bad some of these playcalls look, due to how much pressure Howell has to deal with on most passing downs. I'm not saying that bienemy has been fantastic or anything, but this OL is about as talent deficient as I can recall seeing this team fielding. At least shanny's lines could zone run block, this lot can't do much of anything aside from backpedal.

Charles Leno is the best of them and he'd be a swing tackle on a good team. I'm not sure any OC would thrive with this mess. It's a miracle that Howell has looked as good as he has.

It definitely make his job more difficult than it needs to be.  But he’s also planning his own funeral by squandering what few opportunities there are with asinine play calls situationally that kill drives on their own.  The 3rd/4th & 1’s from shotgun, the 2nd & 10 hb draws, and the like.

And yikes, just realized this is the defense thread.  Sorry for going off course.  To tie it back to the defense, I’d give anything to hear more about this EB/JDR spat on the sideline.  

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 1

Well well well.

It will be interesting to see if our DBs suddenly remember how to have tight coverage on WRs deep. Its so painful to see our WRs always blanketed deep yet our DBs praying for an overthrow, not even in position for a PI or tug of an arm. It should be easily seen if Ron has made positive adjustments.

What may also be easily noticeable? Players showing passion. Suddenly playing faster.

Edited by RandyHolt

On 11/24/2023 at 3:39 PM, RandyHolt said:

Well well well.

It will be interesting to see if our DBs suddenly remember how to have tight coverage on WRs deep. Its so painful to see our WRs always blanketed deep yet our DBs praying for an overthrow, not even in position for a PI or tug of an arm. It should be easily seen if Ron has made positive adjustments.

What may also be easily noticeable? Players showing passion. Suddenly playing faster.

Sooo. do we go man coverage to take the cerebral element out? Just cover "YOUR" guy. Can't do any worse...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Sooo. do we go man coverage to take the cerebral element out? Just cover "YOUR" guy. Can't do any worse...

He really can't do any worse than Jack. Keep it simple stupid seems in order.  Or, we may see the mother of all bend don't breaks. Prepare for allowing 9 yards on 1st down vs Miami.  Somehow, Ron HAS to figure out a way to stop WRs from consistently being open deep behind our DBs. Me? I'd just copy what defenses are doing to our WRs.

It needs to be said the focus on turnovers has largely been a failure with only 6 INTs. One every other game. If DBs are gambling and getting burned deep but also getting INTs that'd be one thing. 6 picks despite using our first 2 picks on DBs and having 4 studs up front, ALL while preaching turnovers? A huge failure. Folks could only blame Barton for so long. Barton, who of course graded just fine in Seattle.

Its a copy cat league but Jack was just too arrogant to admit his own failures and adjust. I guarantee he blamed the players.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Thumb up 2

44 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

It way past time to make changes on defense. Everything RR said he want's to do should have been done long ago.

Yeah, it’s stuff that any average Madden player would have instituted by now.  I’m not sure how you can sit idly by and watch your defense just get humiliated week after week and not demand this sooner.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

On 11/24/2023 at 5:00 PM, Ball Security said:

Watching this Jets game, they’re going to hang 20+ on us, right?

40+

1 hour ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

draw straws for who has to cover Tyreek?

48 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Yeah, it’s stuff that any average Madden player would have instituted by now.  I’m not sure how you can sit idly by and watch your defense just get humiliated week after week and not demand this sooner.

Stubbornness and arrogance?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I just saw the Rivera tweet. Imagine my surprise. Eliminating some checks which will let the players play fast. Paring down the... presumed confusing scheme. Trying to free up the DTs by moving them around. Maybe moving around presnap or via stunts or twists. Watching the Bears game, Sweat just got a sack on a stunt twist on the first 3rd down they faced. JDR would never risk a stunt on the 3rd snap of the game nor even in the first 3 quarters. Not really the 4th either. Anyone have stunts/snap data I be would curious to confirm our 31st rank via my eye test.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Thumb up 1

Pretty sad when your defense only confuses your own players, not the opposing QB.

Ron absolutely should have canned Jack much earlier this season.  But that Cowboys game was wild how often Dak was calling out exactly what they were doing, and just hitting open man after open man, missing some gimmes in between.  The death blow was when Sam scored before the half and the defense immediately gave up 7.  Add Dak eating turkey before the game was over, just pure unadulterated humiliation in front of the entire country.  No DC survives that.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

If the Defense balls out to everyone's shock against Miami, it's really going to be spawn more questions than anything, the first being why the hell weren't these adjustments made sooner when it's been a glaring eyesore for at least a couple seasons now witnessing how slow the defense seems to be in pursuit of the ball carrier.  If all it takes is some minor adjustments.......ugh.

• Thumb up 1

I think it can happen. It's how the NFL is; the biggest blowout on paper ends up being a tight game. Coaching changes provide a spark. Miami fans don't travel so it may be a home game for us. I'd cut that grass higher or before the rains kick in on friday clog the drains (easy: everyone will blame Snyder) and mud up that field some. Heck it may rain during the game. Add in a random Tyreek injury or Twoah Tua "Tiny Hands" Tagovailoa INTs and suddenly we have a game. Fins fabled offense only posted 10 on the lowly Jets at halftime. Only posted 20 vs the lowly Raiders and their shiny new coach. Scored 14 vs KC. Save the typing of the predictable predictions of 73-0.

We all know on paper our defense was supposed to be top 10. With Sam balling the perennial excuse of blaming our feeble offense for our defensive woes could no longer be used. Our defense had to stand on its own 2 feet and failed and now all can blame JDR and reboot. Forbes out is net positive no loss sadly, outside of letting our next GM grade him in a new system, and watch his backup snag a pick 6. Fins just lost a pass rusher which helps offset trading Sweat (3 tackles 1.5 sacks 1 TFL 2 hits last night in a real scheme). Outside of that, we are largely still that same D you loved in June. Can Ron salvage his reputation? Like our pathetic defense, its no where to go but up.

All in Commanders dammit. SSDD. Bet with the heart not with the soul. Mander Up and double down at halftime.

Edited by RandyHolt

MIA has like 4 of the top 6 fastest recorded speeds this season on their offense. That straight line breakaway speed is going to kill us either way, but in muddy conditions with our defense moving sideways and backwards it would be even worse for us lol 

Mostert is bad enough for us. If Achane plays, expect double digit 10+ yard runs. 

• Like 1

On 11/27/2023 at 9:33 PM, NoCalMike said:

If the Defense balls out to everyone's shock against Miami, it's really going to be spawn more questions than anything, the first being why the hell weren't these adjustments made sooner when it's been a glaring eyesore for at least a couple seasons now witnessing how slow the defense seems to be in pursuit of the ball carrier.  If all it takes is some minor adjustments.......ugh.

RR is auditioning for a DC job after he gets fired as HC. That is why he had to jettison JDR. His last chance to stay in football. He's going to pull out all the stops and call an aggressive game I'm sure

We got a real DC! Ron was clearly overworked these past 5 days.

"Jim Salgado is an excellent, experienced football coach," said Tucker. "I'm really impressed with his football knowledge. He comes highly recommended from one of my mentors, Leslie Frazier, and together they coached some of the top defenses in the NFL at Buffalo (No. 2 in team defense in 2018, No. 3 in 2019, No. 1 in 2021, No. 6 in 2022). Jim also has coordinator experience at the collegiate level, and really made a difference at Princeton, helping that program to two league titles. He has really good connections and can recruit nationally. He also has a great relationship with Harlon Barnett, so I'm excited to see them work together in the secondary."

While he was in Buffalo, Salgado coached multiple Pro Bowl players as the Bills won three consecutive AFC East titles (2020-22). The Bills' defense regularly finished among the best in the NFL during his tenure, ranking second in total defense in 2018, third in 2019, No. 1 in 2021 and No. 6 in 2022. In addition, the Bills were the top-ranked pass defense in the NFL in 2021 and ranked third in the league with 19 interceptions. As nickelbacks coach in 2020, he helped the Bills rank seventh in the NFL with 15 interceptions.

Nice to see his coaching resume doesn't include being an extra on the set of Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

9518963.gif.877d43157dcc15dc6e37581716a980e1.gif

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

Yeah, Butler’s issues are big time concerns me, specifically poor angles and letting guys get over the top of him, probably the two most important facets to playing safety.  To be fair though, he, Martin and Forbes have all looked lost far too often this year.  And of course, you have to wonder how much of a psychological impact the overall poor defensive play has on everyone, and just how poor the coaching has been.  Definitely not a guy I’m counting on going forward though, except as a STer (If that).  

Here’s hoping the next staff brings more out of these guys.  With Fuller and Curl potentially leaving, no DEs to speak of, a glaring hole at ILB, a questionable group of corners, and the need to spend a lot of resources on offense… it’s going to be a tall task IMO.

4 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Yeah, Butler’s issues are big time concerns me, specifically poor angles and letting guys get over the top of him, probably the two most important facets to playing safety.  To be fair though, he, Martin and Forbes have all looked lost far too often this year.  And of course, you have to wonder how much of a psychological impact the overall poor defensive play has on everyone, and just how poor the coaching has been.  Definitely not a guy I’m counting on going forward though, except as a STer (If that).  

Here’s hoping the next staff brings more out of these guys.  With Fuller and Curl potentially leaving, no DEs to speak of, a glaring hole at ILB, a questionable group of corners, and the need to spend a lot of resources on offense… it’s going to be a tall task IMO.

I think Martin when he can play at or around the LoS has looked decent. He was drafted to be the Buffalo Nickel but of course we misused him.

Forbes was shell shocked from having to play 1 on 1 man coverage against the likes of AJ Brown and Stefon Diggs. Again, that's a coaching issue.

• Like 2