Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

1 hour ago, Silvernon said:

I think you want your CB1 to be on the X, and that player is often a better physical specimen....and therefore it really doesn't make sense to have BSJ unless he can become a CB1.

It's not as simple as saying that since he is not a legit CB1, then obviously he's a better than average CB2. I legitimately think they are different positions in today's NFL. Even more so the case for nickel and dime corners too.

They drafted the 160lb guy to be cB1.

How’s that working out? 

• Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

They drafted the 160lb guy to be cB1.

How’s that working out? 

Not saying they made the right choice. I said above that it's more likely they have to draft another player to be the CB1. 

But I can tell you that BSJ will not get an extension this off season.

• Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, Silvernon said:

Not saying they made the right choice. I said above that it's more likely they have to draft another player to be the CB1. 

But I can tell you that BSJ will not get an extension this off season.

well with the number of free agents we have I'm not sure we're doing much extending guys this year bfore deals expire

15 hours ago, MrJL said:

well with the number of free agents we have I'm not sure we're doing much extending guys this year bfore deals expire

We also need the guy in place who’s going to make those decisions, and I think it’s pretty clear that guy isn’t in place. 

I absolutely think 3-4, maybe even more than that guys will be re-signed, but it won’t be until the new year with a new GM.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

We also need the guy in place who’s going to make those decisions, and I think it’s pretty clear that guy isn’t in place. 

I absolutely think 3-4, maybe even more than that guys will be re-signed, but it won’t be until the new year with a new GM.

I actually meant this offseason.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Redskinscub said:

From what i read about Jamin Davis (draft profile), speed was supposed to be a strong point. He runs at times like he has a piano on his back

He's gotten in trouble for speeding a couple times, that may have something to do with it...

• Haha 3

RE: BSJ’s comments.

I know it sounds like whining and in a way it is, and given how badly he annoys me with his stupid celebrations it’s hard for me to come to his defense.

But, he’s 100% correct and it’s easy to see.  The secondary never appears to know what they are doing until it’s too late.  Often the same for our linebackers in coverage, often times against fast running backs where the last thing they can afford to do is think.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 4

The fact Del Rio is still trying to do this with our dumbass players in his FOURTH year here shows what a dumbass he also is. Incapable of learning or changing. Stubborn. Willing to let our players flounder and fail because in his mind, the scheme is sound and the execution isn’t his fault. Week after week after week he can tell himself he schemed up a winner and the players ****ed it up. Keeping that arrogance you see in his pressers and feeling no shame about the horrifically bad D we field season after season. That’s a special kind of loser. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

2 minutes ago, Conn said:

The fact Del Rio is still trying to do this with our dumbass players in his FOURTH year here shows what a dumbass he also is. Incapable of learning or changing. Stubborn. Willing to let our players flounder and fail because in his mind, the scheme is sound and the execution isn’t his fault. Week after week after week he can tell himself he schemed up a winner and the players ****ed it up. Keeping that arrogance you see in his pressers and feeling no shame about the horrifically bad D we field season after season. That’s a special kind of loser. 

They need to find the closest HS to Command Center and go hire the DC tomorrow.  

There is literally no way it would be worse.

A HS coach might actually be able to teach a concept or two in the last 7 games. Something Jack has failed to do in 3.5 years. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

You're not going to be able to run across the field with receivers, so these guys need to learn how to pass off. All the best defenses do it. They do need to change from JDR, however these players need to get better. St Juste is definitely on that list.

Kinda have to in a zone, playing man all day sets up offense for plays to directly attack it, like screens against blitzes.

I get that's easier for them to do man, and the real cry for help is asking the defense to be simplified.  Theres too many chances for breakdowns and its obvious because it keeps happening over and over again.

But the defense biggest problem is they can't get a turnover to save their life.  They can't end drives or score themselves to save their lives, and true bend don't break you have to or you break and die. This would be a problem even with scheme changes.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

You're not going to be able to run across the field with receivers, so these guys need to learn how to pass off. All the best defenses do it. They do need to change from JDR, however these players need to get better. St Juste is definitely on that list.

Sure, but I’d argue no other teams do it worse than us, or for as long as this has been going on.  I have a hard time saddling the players with the blame when it’s damn near all of them, all the time, year to year.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

They need to find the closest HS to Command Center and go hire the DC tomorrow.  

There is literally no way it would be worse.

A HS coach might actually be able to teach a concept or two in the last 7 games. Something Jack has failed to do in 3.5 years. 

Its one of the biggest reasons we needed to fire JDR 6 weeks ago, to find out if who we have can play in another system or not. All we know is how our guys play in this jackasses system and that's not likely the best indicator of their abilities. Turn it over to a Redskins legend, Ryan Kerrigan, and take his opinion moving forward along with the assistant coaches whose opinions you trust. 

4 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Its one of the biggest reasons we needed to fire JDR 6 weeks ago, to find out if who we have can play in another system or not. All we know is how our guys play in this jackasses system and that's not likely the best indicator of their abilities. Turn it over to a Redskins legend, Ryan Kerrigan, and take his opinion moving forward along with the assistant coaches whose opinions you trust. 

I agree.

but sadly unless they actually do go to a HS in Ashburn, there isn’t anybody who looks like they could coordinate a defense on the staff 

These are professional football players. You should be able to teach them basic scheme and concepts. If you can't, that's on you as a coach. 

Unless every player on our defense every year is just dumb as rocks. I have no doubt that was the case with William Jackson, but the rest? Na. 

3 minutes ago, Commander202 said:

That’s hard to say because we have a coaching staff that doesn’t know what they are doing . Be honest if Forbes was on the 49ers you think he be struggling ?

Probably not because they would have drafted him in the late 1st or even 2nd round and slotted him into an elite defense where he wasn’t asked to cover prototypical WR1’s 1-on-1

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Est.1974 said:

This isn’t a great reflection on the players. @KDawg made this point in the game day thread. I mean, yep we don’t coach very well . But the players are showing a serious lack of application. Maybe they just aren’t good enough either.

My HS kids can do pass offs. It's a part of football.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1