Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

1 minute ago, Chris 44 said:

Was hoping this week. Oh well.

Ron told JP in an interview on Monday (or yesterday) that CY has a visit with Dr James Andrews this week (Ron didn’t know yet if it’s here or in Pensacola) and that once he gets cleared by Andrews, they’ll start the 21 day clock, so yeah hopefully either @ Colts, or Vs the Vikings, will be his first game back. 

guess JP was right over the summer when he was saying he’s getting Halloween vibes on CY’s return 

• Thanks 2

On 10/16/2022 at 7:58 AM, RandyHolt said:

It seems like its the elephant in the room that no matter what CB we get they will only be used to their strengths a fraction of the snaps. It seems weird to me that so many CBs cannot play man or zone.  I can see one not being strong at press but still being good.

It seems like many on our defense are 1 dimensional. I kind of miss the days when Ds didn't frantically want to sub after every snap taking off studs and bringing in lessor players all in the name of.... over coaching?  If I was an OC when a D sub came in that I wanted to target I would then go to hurry up to isolate them. Call it the Attack Fat Albert plan.

For WJ3, I wonder why they wouldn't just allow him to play man vs the slot or #2 receiver.  At least on primary passing situations.  Teams have been using the #2 receiver on a choice route.  Too late now.  WJ3 is probably going to be out the door.  All that $ wasted!  Money that coulda/shoulda went to Payne. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

On 10/16/2022 at 9:54 AM, Warhead36 said:

I think Sweat was a Kyle Smith pick. Allen being a Snyder stooge was the one who picked Haskins.

I think Sweat And Jon Allen were Snyder picks. 

We can’t only give him credit for the bad ones, right?

Edited by wit33
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Seems like an unnecessary risk at this stage, unless the next few weeks see a major upwards shift in our season. 

I'm fine with the staff being cautious.  Honestly, the defensive front has been really solid.  Without Chase!  When you draft a player with the #2 pick you'd expect his absence to really hurt.  Doesn't seem so.  It's not a knock on CY for getting injured.  The reality is that QB is THE MOST important position on a football field.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, ThomasRoane said:

What a statement!  And to think we passed on Herbert.  

FWD thinking, HAD they picked Herbert he'd already have had 2 concussions, sacked 44 times and pee funny as a result of the o-line.

Until the line is revamped I doubt any QB would do good much less survive. This o-line should be working at the Marriott Hotel, the way they roll out the red carpet for the d-lines they face.

• Haha 2

Herbert would be requesting a trade as we threaten to tag him.

Are we playing Buffalo nickel? 

Our defense has no identity no energy outside of a handful of plays from Allen/Payne - everyone else kinda su su su su sucks.

S-S-S-S-S-Sucks! on Make a GIF

Edited by RandyHolt

7 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Herbert would be requesting a trade as we threaten to tag him.

Are we playing Buffalo nickel? 

Our defense has no identity no energy outside of a handful of plays from Allen/Payne - everyone else kinda su su su su sucks.

S-S-S-S-S-Sucks! on Make a GIF

Curl has a 90 PFF grade. No shock that the fortunes of the defense changed once they got Curl back. Forrest has been a beast too and St Juste is proving he is a starting caliber corner.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Is it just me or did the coaching staff stop calling out jamin Davis after week two/three? Haven’t heard much negative comments about him lately. Though that might be cause I stopped caring enough to watch the press conferences. But I haven’t heard media discuss it much either lately. 

It's a combination of Davis playing better and the coaches bending a little.  Any scheme that calls for a LB to cover a wide receiver is a bad scheme.  I'm not ready to call Davis a bust.  He's too good of an athlete and it's only his second year.  He has a great attitude and has shown that he's willing to do whatever is asked of him.   I would like to see him moved around more though for some surprise pressures. JDR should be mimicking what Dallas is doing with Parsons.  I've never seen Parsons cover someone man to man so in that respect Davis has an edge.  Parsons drops in zone and keys eyes.  Davis could end up a better all-around LB if the staff will maximize his abilities.  

My philosophy as a coach (before cancer sent me home) was "coach what you have; not what you want."  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

On 10/21/2022 at 8:16 PM, ThomasRoane said:

It's a combination of Davis playing better and the coaches bending a little.  Any scheme that calls for a LB to cover a wide receiver is a bad scheme.  I'm not ready to call Davis a bust.  He's too good of an athlete and it's only his second year.  He has a great attitude and has shown that he's willing to do whatever is asked of him.   I would like to see him moved around more though for some surprise pressures. JDR should be mimicking what Dallas is doing with Parsons.  I've never seen Parsons cover someone man to man so in that respect Davis has an edge.  Parsons drops in zone and keys eyes.  Davis could end up a better all-around LB if the staff will maximize his abilities.  

My philosophy as a coach (before cancer sent me home) was "coach what you have; not what you want."  

Hasn't Dallas bended with Parsons as well, using him mostly as an Edge defender and not an off-ball LB?

• Like 1

I know we haven't been going against some of the leagues juggernaut offenses these past few weeks but gotta tip my hat to the defense.  They're certainly not the 85 Bears D and we still have our issues in the secondary but certainly doesn't feel like LB is the pressing issue that it was early in the season.  Nice to see Jamin progressively getting better.  Hopefully Chase can come back 100% healthy  and add a bigger spark to the D. Still got my fingers crossed he can be the player we all thought he could be. 

15 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Simply putting WJ3 on the bench improved our D leaps and bounds but Davis and St. Juste have both started to blossom.

Didn't hear Fuller's name all day today either which means he had a good game. In fairness the Packer WRs are pretty terrible.

Fuller PI’d Tonyan on the second to final Packer drive

Wildgoose has had an easy slate of slot receivers to go against since the Philly game but he’s been good. Gets Parris Campbell next week

26 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Does anyone know the actual timetable for Chase's return?

I believe he will be activated off IR this week. That opens up a 3 week window to put him on the roster. If they don't, he's on IR and out for the rest of the year.

My guess is he makes his debut NEXT week, against the Vikings at home.

Bring back Chase on a snap count. Let him start and come in on situational downs. JSW has played well and deserves to play. If we can get a rotation of Chase, Sweat, Toohill, Odabe, and JSW that makes our pass rush that much better and allows Holcomb and Jamin to roam more freely. 

By the way big kudos to Jamin who after JDR called him out has been so solid! Way to step up Jamin. 

• Thumb up 2

On 10/19/2022 at 6:48 PM, skins island connection said:

FWD thinking, HAD they picked Herbert he'd already have had 2 concussions, sacked 44 times and pee funny as a result of the o-line.

Until the line is revamped I doubt any QB would do good much less survive. This o-line should be working at the Marriott Hotel, the way they roll out the red carpet for the d-lines they face.

If we are changing the timeline, oline was a strength in 2020, not this hot mess we have now. 

And big reason our oline is so bad now is because we traded for a large veteran QB contract (again) that took so much of our available cap space we had to let olinemen go and not be able to replace them. 

Herbert would today, if here, still be on his rookie contract. 

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

On 10/20/2022 at 11:17 PM, method man said:

Curl has a 90 PFF grade. No shock that the fortunes of the defense changed once they got Curl back. Forrest has been a beast too and St Juste is proving he is a starting caliber corner.

We seem to do way better drafting secondary players under this administration then adding via free agency.

I'm not sure I'm ready to move St Juste to #1 and replace Fuller with a rookie, but Fuller needs to go.