Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

25 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Holcomb isn't a MLB. He's an okay SLB, nothing special but respectable starter. As a MLB he's a liability.

Not addressing the MLB position could potentially be the death knell of this defense...again.

The role we have Holcomb in is basically the QB of the defense. He's making calls and reads that put guys in position. This will usually be one of your smartest guys on the defense, football wise. 

I don't get the impression Holcomb has the awareness for that role. He is up and down in run support, but he is an absolute liability in pass coverage. Example from last game: we are running a zone fire blitz where Holcomb drops where the blitz vacated. Holcomb, as he typically does, drops into a big patch of open grass while the receiver sits down right next to him. He seems surprised when the ball is thrown like he never knew where his threat was. I see this from him a lot and it is bad when a player lacking awareness like that is calling our defense and mentoring our 1st round pick.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

This fan base places too much blame on coaching. Remember Joe Barry? He's the Packers D Coord now and their D was one of the best in the league last year and is expected to be very good again this year. 

Sometimes your players just aren't that good.

Joe Barry is a horrendous DC.  Absolutely horrendous.  And the Packer's defense last year wasn't actually all that great.  But they don't have to be.  Because they have Rodgers and the offense, so they rarely trail and have really no pressure on them.  

The Joe Barry defense let the Jimmy Garapolo 49ers offense walk up and down the field at home in the playoffs and lose.  

Barry is atrocious.  Just like Manusky was atrocious, and Mike Nolan is atrocious.  They're all terrible.  

The biggest issue I see on defense is the sum is not as good as it's parts.  Which is the big concern.  That's on coaching.  

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 3

35 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Joe Barry is a horrendous DC.  Absolutely horrendous.  And the Packer's defense last year wasn't actually all that great.  But they don't have to be.  Because they have Rodgers and the offense, so they rarely trail and have really no pressure on them.  

The Joe Barry defense let the Jimmy Garapolo 49ers offense walk up and down the field at home in the playoffs and lose. 

Well they were 9th in points allowed. 9th in yards. 8th in takeaways. They were pretty damn good.

And the playoff game was not on the defense. They only allowed 6 points and lost 13-10 because the special teams allowed a blocked punt TD and Rodgers choked the bed. Jimmy G only had 130 yards and a pick in that game. Barry's boys did their job.

• Like 1

A great offense makes for a good defense. One that can take risks.  But its short sighted to think a DC cannot change his ways or adapt to his players, or a good offense. Barry may have been the blind squirrel last year. You can teach an old dog new tricks but they are often stubborn to try. JDR seems to be stuck in his ways. He did try to blitz DBs and drop the lineman vs KC and got BURNED. He probably won't try that again this year but I would esp if our LBs or DBs SUCK and CANNOT cover. Call it Madieu Williams syndrome. You know what, blitz them instead of expecting them to be able to cover out of no where. Use players to their strengths more often than not.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Barry is atrocious.  Just like Manusky was atrocious, and Mike Nolan is atrocious.  They're all terrible.  

The biggest issue I see on defense is the sum is not as good as it's parts.  Which is the big concern.  That's on coaching.  

The Packers defense overachieved last year given that they were missed arguably their two best players for most of the year in cornerback Jaire Alexander and edge player Za'Darius Smith.   In terms of losing Za'Darius Smith they benefitted from Rashaan Gary breakout year.  Gary was a first round pick that had never been more than so-so, but played at a probowl level last year, I think finishing second in the NFL in QB pressures and with about 10 sacks.  But their defense was probably overrated as their success rate was below average, but their overall numbers were above average which means they were getting timely turnovers and playing with good redzone efficiency--stats that tend to vary more year to year.

4 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Holcomb isn't a MLB. He's an okay SLB, nothing special but respectable starter. As a MLB he's a liability.

Not addressing the MLB position could potentially be the death knell of this defense...again.

I tend to agree with this. I like Cole but he isn’t stout against the run. Linemen just swallow him up. I do think he’s fairly solid in zone coverage but in man to man he’s seems slow to react. 

With all the veteran linebackers that were available this offseason I just don’t understand why we didn’t go after one of them. If Davis doesn’t step up this year our d will continue to struggle. 

11 hours ago, KDawg said:

What does this even mean?

You got me. I’ve grown apathetic league wide in regards to defense. All defenses seem pretty average to me. Hope you can win situationally seems to be the way to go. 

The Bills got a 42 piece put up on them in the playoffs. Number 1 rated 3rd down defense. 

With that said, there are still plenty of games where schematically the defense seems to be ahead of an offense, there’s still some value. 

• Like 1

Mike Nolan

Jim Haslett

Joe Barry

Greg Manusky

Jack Del Rio

who’s next??

None of them have had a clue about how to stop an opponent on 3rd down.  And it seemed to me that most of them allowed the opponents’ receivers a cushion that was beyond the first down marker.

I guess as a fan of this team, it should be acceptable to me.  But, it’s not.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, skinsfan93 said:

With all the veteran linebackers that were available this offseason I just don’t understand why we didn’t go after one of them. If Davis doesn’t step up this year our d will continue to struggle. 

You and me both.  We were all screaming for it, and RR says we have the Mike of the roster already.  I have such a uneasy feeling about this season.  I felt so positive before i saw the games.

2 hours ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

This really sucks..and  so early in the season....WTF??

I am feeling exactly the same way...I don't know why but I am.

1 hour ago, SB17 said:

Mike Nolan

Jim Haslett

Joe Barry

Greg Manusky

Jack Del Rio

who’s next??

None of them have had a clue about how to stop an opponent on 3rd down.  And it seemed to me that most of them allowed the opponents’ receivers a cushion that was beyond the first down marker.

I guess as a fan of this team, it should be acceptable to me.  But, it’s not.

Add greg blache to this list too

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Add greg blache to this list too

How could I have left him off the list? jimmy fallon lol GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

We could also start a list of failed qb’s we’ve had that would be horrific, too … 🙄 - on a different thread, of course 🙂 .

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

It almost seems impossible for a particular team to be ranked 30th outta 32 teams in 3rd down defense over a 12 year period. I mean, out of all of the head coaches and d-coordinators in over a DECADE, nobody can figure out how to stop opposing offenses from succeeding on 3rd downs?? I'm flabbergasted.

For such a long period, some blame needs to be pointed towards the front office. Bruce Allen, Vinny Cerrato, Dan Snyder, etc were clearly building bad rosters and were looking for DC's with the wrong mindset. If it happens over and over again, then blame has to lie mostly with the people doing the hiring/drafting.

26 minutes ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

It almost seems impossible for a particular team to be ranked 30th outta 32 teams in 3rd down defense over a 12 year period

I could be missing something but I think it's actually an inevitability not an impossibility. 

I believe that's a 12 year average of all 32 teams.

What seems impossible is that there were two teams that were worse!

• Thanks 1

Not sure if this is the thread where this belongs but Shaka Toney's name comes up on occasion (usually from Keim). 

Has anyone watched him this preseason? Has he improved and do we think he has a shot to be a situational pass rusher that makes a difference? 

I remember seeing his Penn State cut ups after we drafted him and I was pretty excited.