Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Read This Before Shouting "Fire the Kicker"

Dan T.

46 minutes ago, Franklin60 said:

The 49ers only signed him as an injury replacement for Robbie Gould. Now that Gould is healthy, he wasn't needed. And they sure as heck weren't going to release Gould instead.

Bears still kicking themselves over replacing Gould with Double Doink Dude.

One of my favorite calls ever, and I don’t really speak Spanish.

Edited by Florgon79
  • Haha 1

Ugh, watching local news and not only did they use the Blewitt joke, they confirmed the new kicker also had stint with Rivera.  I

There's familiarity, then there's damn near a job requirement to have worked with him before.  It does bother me, mostly because we are losing, and it reminds me of Bruce's Tampa connections obsession.

34 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Ugh, watching local news and not only did they use the Blewitt joke, they confirmed the new kicker also had stint with Rivera.  I

There's familiarity, then there's damn near a job requirement to have worked with him before.  It does bother me, mostly because we are losing, and it reminds me of Bruce's Tampa connections obsession.

Considering we went through 2 weeks of Chris Blewitt, who hadn't played in 5 years, I'm gonna say that no, it is not a requirement to have been on Rivera's teams in the past to be our kicker.

It's a kicker. He's good and stays or he's bad and he goes. If he's good, are you really going to be upset that we hired a good kicker who was on a Rivera team 2 years ago?

5 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Considering we went through 2 weeks of Chris Blewitt, who hadn't played in 5 years, I'm gonna say that no, it is not a requirement to have been on Rivera's teams in the past to be our kicker.

It's a kicker. He's good and stays or he's bad and he goes. If he's good, are you really going to be upset that we hired a good kicker who was on a Rivera team 2 years ago?

One, hes not going to be good.  And two, I will be upset so many of the people that were brought in here were from Carolina if we arent winning and neither were they when he finally got fired.  Its a fair complaint given the results and the similar issue we had with Bruce.  Whether its loyalty or nepotism doesn't matter to me, I thought we were done with that and we arent.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

One, hes not going to be good.  And two, I will be upset so many of the people that were brought in here were from Carolina if we arent winning and neither were they when he finally got fired.  Its a fair complaint given the results and the similar issue we had with Bruce.  Whether its loyalty or nepotism doesn't matter to me, I thought we were done with that and we arent.

One, if we go back to an Eagles fanboard in 1999, they'd probably be complaining about hiring David Akers for many reasons, including "One, he's not going to be good".

Two, out of all the positions and coaches that were hired, the line is drawn at the kicker?

• Like 1

Just now, NickyJ said:

One, if we go back to an Eagles fanboard in 1999, they'd probably be complaining about hiring David Akers for many reasons, including "One, he's not going to be good".

Two, out of all the positions and coaches that were hired, the line is drawn at the kicker?

The line is not drawn on kicker, its commented in the kicker thread. 

I've felt this way for while, jus patiently waiting for when and where I want to say it.  Should I go to the gm thread, is that the only place I'm allowed to talk about it?

This guy won't be Akers, stop getting my hopes up.

Hopkins: 7 years in NFL

Slye: 3 years in NFL 

Slye career % is lower than Hopkins on XP and FG. if you look at just last few years for Hopkins, when the XP was pushed back, these are much closer. 

Other difference is, in 3 years, Slye is 12-20 on 50+ yarders. With 56 being his longest kick all 3 years. 

in 7 years, Hopkins is 14-27 on 50+ yarders. While only achieving a 56 yard long once.

The upgrade Slye provides in clearly confidence in attempting 50+ Yard kicks.

we’ll see if he does well with everything below that 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

So read between the lines from when this really started with Hopkins getting cut.  Coach is really saying of all the issues that we have with this team, the biggest one we have identified is that our offense sucks and is basically non existent inside the opponents 45, our field goal kicker is inconsistent over 50 yards so we are going to make a change and get someone in here that we think has a better shot at making field goals over 50 yards (because after all field goals is the only way we can score) and that is going to win us some ball games.  Ok Ron, let me know how that works out for you.  

Joey Slye, like Blewitt, is a local guy.  He went to North Stafford High School before going to Virginia Tech and playing as a walk-on after turning down a scholarship offer from James Madison.  So at least we know his judgement of colleges is sound.

On 11/9/2021 at 7:38 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

Bill Paecells when talking to a trainer about his kickers availability because of an knjury:

Trainer: He should be able to play…

Parcells: He doesn’t have to play.  He has to kick. 

#KickersArePeopleToo

I always loved Bill Parcells.  Gibbs vs Parcells was almost always damn good football.

9 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Welcome to Washington, Joey !

c8cd515de535178d2f8f4ebde48631cf_w200.gi

On 11/9/2021 at 9:23 PM, LLandryistheshiz said:

Hopkins: 7 years in NFL

Slye: 3 years in NFL 

Slye career % is lower than Hopkins on XP and FG. if you look at just last few years for Hopkins, when the XP was pushed back, these are much closer.

i think some difference might be that  Slye was actually trusted enough to at least try longer /lower percentage kicks. Hops could show a higher success rate simply because if the kick was 44 yards or longer, we trusted Tress' leg over Dustins. I HOPE that Slye can become a more accurate kicker, but also have some comfort in knowing that a 50+ yarder is at least a possibility.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

i think some difference might be that  Slye was actually trusted enough to at least try longer /lower percentage kicks. Hops could show a higher success rate simply because if the kick was 44 yards or longer, we trusted Tress' leg over Dustins. I HOPE that Slye can become a more accurate kicker, but also have some comfort in knowing that a 50+ yarder is at least a possibility. Plus...BeamerBall

On 11/9/2021 at 7:38 PM, Renegade7 said:

Don't you just hate it when loyalty and/or nepotism get you a good kicker?