Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread: 2021 Preseason - Washington Football Team @ New England Patriots

zCommander
Message added by TK,

image.thumb.png.74ffd521092fe3f4bae75d218b1df7db.png

Fell asleep at the end, been working outside all week and its been hard not to die. Nobody caught my eye in a negative way, everyone looked decent to great. Heiny started off a bit slow and started to come back to his former glory. Fitz made some amazing throws, throws that Smith would never attempt to ever throw. I saw half of Montez's play, I didn't see the good half. Sounds like he got it together later in the game, I would like to see more of him.

Well, I plan to watch this again as I can, hopefully tonight. Do you guys rewatch preseason games?

4 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I believe the OL was Leno/Schweitzer/Roullier/Scherff/Lucas

And I believe the DL was Young/Payne/Allen/JSW

I'm pretty sure Cosmi started over Lucas at RT. I watched him a lot. That dude looks goofy and off balance sometimes but he was a beast out there. His strength and power and ability to recover with his feet were awesome. He was burying dudes in the run game too. I was not very impressed with Jamin Davis so in my mind I'm just gonna think of Cosmi as our first rounder this year.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Veretax said:

I turned the game off in the 4th Qtr... had no desire to see any mkore hopkinsfest.   Did Montez play well at the end of the game?  Some fan on Junkies acting like he's the second coming of the best backup we've ever had. oy

Montez basically stopped trying to do too much and took what the D gave him at the end of the game. Drove all the way down the field throwing short routes and checkdowns, high percentage stuff. Eventually here and there he would have wide open targets for nice gainers as a result.

Made a nice play for the TD and a good throw on the 2pt conversion, but it was him calming himself down and making the easy plays that led to his success.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The offense looked bad.  The line had trouble making holes and they were giving up pressure, the QBs were inconsistent, and we're still not getting separation outside of Terry.  Hopefully Samuel gets back soon, because it looks to me that our WR/TE group is still subpar and our backs are still the only guys getting open and that feels like defenses are giving that away because they don't fear the backs in the open field.  I'm worried about RB too.  It doesn't feel like our depth can hold up to the 17 game season at all, and New England building a stable at both that position and TE suddenly looks very smart for a conservative, keep it between the numbers offense.  I should have known better than to drag Belichick for those TE moves this off-season.

Felt like the defense looked pretty good even without Sweat, but the linebackers were hit or miss.  The fact that Jamin Davis comes off the field and Bostic stays on in passing subs is disappointing.  He's further behind than we were led to believe from camp coaching staff rhetoric and coverage.  I think it's going to take him a while to get up to speed, but I'm hopeful that it happens this season.

I'm not as sold on William Jackson being as good as everyone seems to say he is either.  I think he's a nice player, but not sure he'll be the clear upgrade over Darby's play from last season that has been widely assumed.  St. Juste looks special to me though.  I think he could be pur best draft pick this season.

Our real problems are on offense though.  They just don't have a ton of talent and I can see why Fitz has so firmly taken control of the starting QB job.  If only he were eight years younger.  Heinecke looked like an off schedule QB without an off schedule arm or off schedule timing.  That's a bummer, I am really rooting for him.  Hoping he gets better each week.

I'm also annoyed that Mac Jones looked as good as he did.  Accuracy was still a bit dodgy to my eye, but his reads and decisions were excellent and his poise was excellent.  I panned him hard in the draft thread, but I'm probably going to have to cut my losses on him.  He just looked like a competent, starting caliber QB, not a deer in headlights at all.  Still doesn't mean I wish we had traded up to get him, but I'm starting to see what people liked about him so much.  Josh McDaniels is good.  That organization is so good.  He definitely has a chance to pan out.

• Confused 4
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, DJHJR86 said:

Although going into the season with no competition for Hopkins looks like it's going to backfire at some point when there's a game on the line.

He really needs to step up or we need to find a replacement. If I remember correctly, his missed kicks, directly led to 2 or 3 losses last year. Difference between 7 wins and 10 wins. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The offense looked bad.  The line had trouble making holes and they were giving up pressure, the QBs were inconsistent, and we're still not getting separation outside of Terry.  Hopefully Samuel gets back soon, because it looks to me that our WR/TE group is still subpar and our backs are still the only guys getting open and that feels like defenses are giving that away because they don't fear the backs in the open field.  I'm worried about RB too.  It doesn't feel like our depth can hold up to the 17 game season at all, and New England building a stable at both that position and TE suddenly looks very smart for a conservative, keep it between the numbers offense.  I should have known better than to drag Belichick for those TE moves this off-season.

Felt like the defense looked pretty good even without Sweat, but the linebackers were hit or miss.  The fact that Jamin Davis comes off the field and Bostic stays on in passing subs is disappointing.  He's further behind than we were led to believe from camp coaching staff rhetoric and coverage.  I think it's going to take him a while to get up to speed, but I'm hopeful that it happens this season.

I'm not as sold on William Jackson being as good as everyone seems to say he is either.  I think he's a nice player, but not sure he'll be the clear upgrade over Darby's play from last season that has been widely assumed.  St. Juste looks special to me though.  I think he could be pur best draft pick this season.

Our real problems are on offense though.  They just don't have a ton of talent and I can see why Fitz has so firmly taken control of the starting QB job.  If only he were eight years younger.  Heinecke looked like an off schedule QB without an off schedule arm or off schedule timing.  That's a bummer, I am really rooting for him.  Hoping he gets better each week.

I'm also annoyed that Mac Jones looked as good as he did.  Accuracy was still a bit dodgy to my eye, but his reads and decisions were excellent and his poise was excellent.  I panned him hard in the draft thread, but I'm probably going to have to cut my losses on him.  He just looked like a competent, starting caliber QB, not a deer in headlights at all.  Still doesn't mean I wish we had traded up to get him, but I'm starting to see what people liked about him so much.  Josh McDaniels is good.  That organization is so good.  He definitely has a chance to pan out.

Pretty much all good points. I never believe camp hype, because most if the time its just that. I think they played ok, but definitely want to see better from them.

2 minutes ago, dyst said:

He really needs to step up or we need to find a replacement. If I remember correctly, his missed kicks, directly led to 2 or 3 losses last year. Difference between 7 wins and 10 wins. 

He literally cost us the postseason in 2016.  2 missed field goals in the game against the Bengals.  If he makes one of those, we go to the postseason that year.

11 minutes ago, dyst said:

Pretty much all good points. I never believe camp hype, because most if the time its just that. I think they played ok, but definitely want to see better from them.

There is no context for the coverage of camp.  The reporters are so laser focused on every nuance of what is going on with the team, it leads to losing sight of the greater context of the league.  Every team thinks they are more talented than they really are in camp.

Also wanted to say that I'm annoyed that Rhamondre Stevenson looked so good last night.  He was another one I panned in the draft thread.  I thought he looked slow and potentially had a drug problem.  Don't know about a drug problem, but he definitely didn't look slow last night.  Looked decisive and intimidatingly powerful and had the jets to house that huge run when he got a lane.  That Patriots backfield is loaded, they are going to run down people's throats this year and they have the depth to keep the ball rolling through attrition.  Plus they still have a strong D.  Starting to feel like the talk of them declining post Brady was wishful thinking, myself included.

• Like 1

Not sure how you can say the offense looked bad. The starters had two drives go into Pats territory. Humphries fell on an open 3rd down. Fitz made a great throw to Thomas. Gibson looked healthy and spry. Im not saying theyre the next coming of the Greatest Show on Turf but to say they were straight bad is disingenuous. Unless youre lumping 3rd and 4th teamers in there which, I mean yeah most of them probably do suck. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

2 hours ago, Rolo Tomasie said:

I'm pretty sure Cosmi started over Lucas at RT. I watched him a lot. That dude looks goofy and off balance sometimes but he was a beast out there. His strength and power and ability to recover with his feet were awesome. He was burying dudes in the run game too. I was not very impressed with Jamin Davis so in my mind I'm just gonna think of Cosmi as our first rounder this year.

I didn’t watch Cosmi closely enough but I’m hearing good things.  I also wanted to see more from Davis.  He didn’t do anything that stood out.  It’s gonna take some time.  Parsons looked like an impact player immediately.  But that’s why he was drafted higher.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Not sure how you can say the offense looked bad. The starters had two drives go into Pats territory. Humphries fell on an open 3rd down. Fitz made a great throw to Thomas. Gibson looked healthy and spry. Im not saying theyre the next coming of the Greatest Show on Turf but to say they were straight bad is disingenuous. 

Humphries falling on 3rd down is part of the problem. It kills the drive and you settle for a punt or a FG. Same for our starting kicker missing 2 FGs. That’s why bad teams stay bad. What separates the good teams from the bad teams is the good teams execute that play.

Good teams make those plays consistently, then go on to win 10+ games marching towards the playoffs. Bad teams miss those opportunities year after year whiling winning 5-9 games, missing the playoffs and then reminiscing about how it wasn’t that bad because there were only a few missed opportunities.

2 hours ago, dyst said:

I think Mac Jones looked okay.  He didn’t turn the ball over, but he didn’t make tremendous throws.    If he were wearing a Washington jersey I think he’d be getting more scrutiny in here. I did want to see more from Jamin though.  

Edited by Vanguard
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Heinecke looked like an off schedule QB without an off schedule arm or off schedule timing.  That's a bummer, I am really rooting for him.  Hoping he gets better each week.

I'm also annoyed that Mac Jones looked as good as he did.  Accuracy was still a bit dodgy to my eye, but his reads and decisions were excellent and his poise was excellent.

I'm trying to figure out what game you were watching.

C/ATT

YDS

AVG

TD

INT

SACKS

RTG

Mac Jones

13/19

1-9

Taylor Heinicke

9/15

1-7

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

While this is woot for sure, remember that only six teams have played so far.

I'm more focused on the score

If he puts that up week in and week out, he will render all stud detectors in the tri-state area useless regardless of his ranking against his peers.

He does not get style points, but he got the job done

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Veretax said:

I turned the game off in the 4th Qtr... had no desire to see any mkore hopkinsfest.   Did Montez play well at the end of the game?  Some fan on Junkies acting like he's the second coming of the best backup we've ever had. oy

Yes, he played much better in the 4th quarter.  He brought them down the field and should have had the touchdown but refs said it was no catch in the end zone.