Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WFT Ranked Last in Percentage of Players Vaxed - And Now It Matters

Dan T.

23 hours ago, Captain James said:

but we're still just talking about a football game versus a personal medical decision...

Absolutely. If someone on the team is unvaccinated and causes an outbreak then they are held responsible. The game will be cancelled to keep all parties safe. You don’t play the game, you don’t get paid, I don’t see where there’s an issue.

that being said, I believe I read that players can’t do endorsements if they’re  unvaccinated. I don’t know how that’s something that the NFL can dictate.

8 minutes ago, CTskin said:

You don’t play the game, you don’t get paid, I don’t see where there’s an issue

If a few players choice to not get vaxxed leads to the cancellation of a game your looking at:

-All players not getting paid, not just the un-vaxxed.

-Gameday workers not getting paid

-loss of ticket revenue. Refund of paid tickets and season tickets

-loss of merch sales opportunity

-loss of local business revenue spurred by game day attendance

-loss of government earnings via taxes

-loss of TV sponsorship revenue, as there is no game to air commercials. God help if its a nationally aired game.

-Wasted money from not optimally utilizing stadium lease

-Possible playoff implications, which could impact the likelihood of future games where more money could be made

That is millions of dollars, not just for the NFL but for the players, workers, surrounding community, the government and sponsors. That is a a major issue and its why the NFL will do what is necessary to prevent such an outcome. They are going to fine, suspend or straight up fire people who threaten this level of cashflow.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

$14,650? Maybe it should be a % of their annual salary so it stings whoever breaks protocol. I think Sweat is going to make around $3.1M this year. Each game check over 17 is now around $186K. So, he'll already lose a check if he misses a game. But breaking protocol? Why shouldn't that financial hit be as hard? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CTskin said:

that being said, I believe I read that players can’t do endorsements if they’re  unvaccinated. I don’t know how that’s something that the NFL can dictate.

Most production companies right now are requiring vaccinations to work on set. Its very expensive every minute a production set is live and it would be bad business to do it any other way. I wonder if it is coming from that direction. 

• Like 2

I’m not usually open to Govt imposing mandatory anything. But in this case with the choice of either finally moving past the virus or letting it linger in perpetuity due to fear or ignorance or just plain stupidity, I’d be in full support of mandating vaccines in every area you can. 

I’m Totally Backing what the NFL is doing. 
I Eye Roll everytime Cole Beasley speaks. People are acting like petulant children. 

Edited by COWBOY-KILLA-
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 4

I understand why some players wouldn’t want to get it. It’s not smart but I understand and acknowledge the circumstances we find ourselves in. 

At the same time, and unvaccinated player at this point is a liability. They will hurt the bottom line. It’s just a matter of fact. And the NFL is a business. Just like they decided that players cannot kneel during the anthem without consequence, the same thing is happening here. And again they stay true to themselves…..they don’t virtue signal and they expressly do it for the bottom line. Money. 

They are consistent and it should be expected. I commend them if nothing else for making everyone equal. And that means second to profit. It just happens to put them in the right side of history this time. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

This is a war against the virus. In war society has to adapt to survive the battle. We are almost there. 

Plot twist: What if all the anti-vaxxers are right? Watch, in a few years, Montez Sweat will be driving around New York city, dodging us vaccinated zombies and hunting deer with his trusty canine sidekick.

p170977_p_v7_ae.jpg

• Haha 4

58 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

And right here is the problem.  People continue to post things that are simply not true.  

and if it were true. Whatever. I'll take better than 0% right now. Flu Vaccines are never this good. Then you throw in mismatch years and it's even worse. But you know what? We still get that mismatch year shot because #1 they are doing their best estimating what strain is going to happen this year and #2. Even with a mismatch vaccine in a certain year, it means we don't need to shut everything down like we for a year. 

This isn't wearing a seatbelt or not. This is doing that while driving into a bus of Nuns and Orphans. Take some ****ing responsibility as a human and either get vaccinated or stay home under a mask until this is over.... if that ever happens and we're not getting boosters every year. 

I'll keep my comments to the tailgate on the topic from now on. Sorry.

Edited by @SkinsGoldPants
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I remember being pumped with an absurd amount of vaccines when I joined the military, half I don't even know what they were and I'm still alive and kicking. If you didn't want the vaccines, you couldn't join. The NFL doesn't need an ignorant team like ours to ruin their season, If this team wants to go down the path and players start having to sit out multiple weeks because of this, I hope there are extreme punishments for the team. I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL took draft picks away from teams that were just flat being a problem. We aren't any more special than any of the other teams getting it. I bet there is a staggering difference between lower tier roster players and the stars when it comes to the vaccine. One player feels like he has to because he doesn't want to risk losing this opportunity, but the star player gets the freedom of choice? That doesn't sit well with me. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I remember being pumped with an absurd amount of vaccines when I joined the military, half I don't even know what they were and I'm still alive and kicking. If you didn't want the vaccines, you couldn't join. The NFL doesn't need an ignorant team like ours to ruin their season, If this team wants to go down the path and players start having to sit out multiple weeks because of this, I hope there are extreme punishments for the team. I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL took draft picks away from teams that were just flat being a problem. We aren't any more special than any of the other teams getting it. I bet there is a staggering difference between lower tier roster players and the stars when it comes to the vaccine. One player feels like he has to because he doesn't want to risk losing this opportunity, but the star player gets the freedom of choice? That doesn't sit well with me. 

It's still a personal choice and I'm not sure how fair it would be to take the pics away from the team because the players made a choice.  A choice I strongly disagree with, I believe there should be consequences for that choice, but I don't think it's right to punish the team for choices made by the players

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I don't think it's right to punish the team for choices made by the players

Teams will be held responsible for their players.

The NFL took draft picks away for infractions last year for some repeat offenders. You can rest assured they will do it again this year, if they come to the conclusion that some team is not doing enough to prevent it.

https://www.nfl.com/news/raiders-jon-gruden-fined-lose-draft-pick-for-covid-19-violations

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

It's still a personal choice and I'm not sure how fair it would be to take the pics away from the team because the players made a choice.  A choice I strongly disagree with, I believe there should be consequences for that choice, but I don't think it's right to punish the team for choices made by the players

Everything in life is a choice, there can be bad choices, and this would be a choice that could cost the league some money and potentially cause an outbreak. If this choice backfires on them, they should have to deal with the consequences of it. 

2 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

I wonder what the NFLPA thinks about all this. 

It's irrelevant outside the drama they may try to cause by whining in the media. The NFL is allowed to make rules of employment.

There is a big difference between freedom of choice and freedom from consequences. And let's be clear, the NFL is not removing freedom of choice as some have stated, they are providing consequences for those choices. The NFLPA can try to take this to court but they will lose. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Teams will be held responsible for their players.

The NFL took draft picks away for infractions last year for some repeat offenders. You can rest assured they will do it again this year, if they come to the conclusion that some team is not doing enough to prevent it.

https://www.nfl.com/news/raiders-jon-gruden-fined-lose-draft-pick-for-covid-19-violations

But those were violations of specific NFL COVID rules, that's not the same as the team bringing in medical experts and doing everything they can to encourage vaccinations only to have players decide against the vax.   Not the same. 

3 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

I wonder what the NFLPA thinks about all this. 

They haven't said much. Makes you think their leadership wants as many of their members vaxxed as possible. Last thing they want are members blaming each other for missed paychecks. If they opposed what the league and teams are doing, they'd be loud by now. 

Edited by @SkinsGoldPants
  • Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 3:38 PM, Darrell Green Fan said:

And right here is the problem.  People continue to post things that are simply not true.  

You're missing the point. The argument isn't that the stats are incorrect - I already admitted I was wrong. Also, let me remind you that CDC changes their stats daily and no one bats an eye.

Politics aside, the point of the statement was to remind people that we still have a choice. If the argument is that every private entity has a right to fine/fire you, then any company opposing vaccinations should be able to do the same - however, from everything I've seen, you're only right if you support one agenda. The double standard is ultimately dividing us.

How can we force someone to get a vaccine if the said vaccine can still result in you catching the illness? Also riddle me this, how can the league know which player spreads the virus if the vaccinated can also pass it on? What happens if a team full of vaccinated spread the virus to the point where the game cannot be played - will the league still forfeit the game?

We just need to find a happy medium and not let this hiccup divide us. UNITED WE STAND.

Stay healthy and happy, my fellow posters. HAIL.

Edited by primetime441
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, primetime441 said:

You're missing the point. The argument isn't that the stats are incorrect - I already admitted I was wrong. Also, let me remind you that CDC changes their stats daily and no one bats and eye.

Politics aside, the point of the statement was to remind people that we still have a choice. If the argument is that every private entity has a right to fine/fire you, then any company opposing vaccinations should be able to do the same - however, from everything I've seen, you're only right if you support one agenda. The double standard is ultimately dividing us.

How can we force someone to get a vaccine if the said vaccine can still result in you catching the illness? Also riddle me this, how can the league know which player spreads the virus if the vaccinated can also pass it on? What happens if a team full of vaccinated spread the virus to the point where the game cannot be played - will the league still forfeit the game?

We just need to find a happy medium and not let this hiccup divide us. UNITED WE STAND.

Stay healthy and happy, my fellow posters. HAIL.

While true, the more vaccinated, the lesser a chance of a breakout. We'll see this year whether or not there's a correlation. I assume there's still going to be a strict Covid protocol much like there was last year and, let's be honest, a lot of players just aren't smart enough to keep things discrete. Case in point Dwayne. The reality is teams with higher percentage of unvaccinated players will probably be the teams that run into trouble. The locker room is a tight knit community and the players certainly will know who is and isn't breaking protocol. Now that there's a potential for financial repercussions for irresponsibility, I imagine there will be a lot more player sheriffing going on than there was last year. Try and convince a JJ Watt that he's about to lose a million bucks because Hopkins didn't believe in the science yet still didn't respect his teammates enough to not go out and live it up.

• Like 1