Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Most iconic photo representing America

Larry

I did this thread, maybe 15-20 years ago.  And I think we had a great discussion about it.  

Tried it a few times since, without as much success.  But hey, never let it be said that I can take a hint.  

I'm going to make the same requests.  Please pick one picture.  Hopefully it will be a tough choice.  (The first time I did it, it took me over two hours to pick just one.).  

And I'd love to see some reasoning, for why you picked that one picture.  And comments on other people's nominations.  (I think in the first version of this thread, I saw maybe 5 pictures that were on my short list, picked by others.)  

I'm going to go with the same image I picked back then.  

15-DL59.jpg

Walt Disney and then-Vice President Richard Nixon, opening the monorail at Disneyland.  

My first "decision point" was, I wanted an image that represented America, not just to Americans, but to the world.  (Y'all feel free to choose differently).  My choice might be dated.  (I'm an old fart.  Deal with it.)  But I feel that Walt Disney represents America to people who aren't from here.  (I recall reading that at one time, Disney was the most recognized person in the world.  More people could recognize a picture of him, than any POTUS, for example.)  

My analogy was that no doubt there are lots of photos that might say "France" to a Frenchman.  But to me, if it doesn't have the Eifel Tower or Napoleon in it, I won't have a clue what it is.)  

And I think that Walt represents several aspects of America.  Not just the celebrity.  But the optimism. And the creator.  The icon for a corporation, as well.  

• Like 3

Just now, Corcaigh said:

I had this as a poster on my bedroom wall as a teenager.

As an element of trivia, about that picture?  

That's the only known photo of Buzz Aldrin on the Moon.  

The astronauts took a bunch of photos on the Moon.  But later, when NASA was processing the film, they discovered that one person in a spacesuit looks exactly like another person in a spacesuit.  And they couldn't tell which one was which.  

And the astronauts couldn't help, either.  Aldrin supposedly stated, at his debrief, that after he came down the ladder, he remembered Neil handing him the camera.  And he didn't remember ever handing it back.  

However, that one picture you posted, shown both astronauts.  (One via reflection).  And therefore, while they can't tell which astronaut is Aldrin, they're certain that he's in it.  

(That's why, for Apollo 12 and later, the mission commander's spacesuit had a red stripe on the arm and leg.)  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

For clarity, is this a pic that represents the current state of America?  One pic the everything from 1776 until now?  Represents or highs?  Or lows?  Or leave it up to the poster?

Your choice.  Although I would assume that "represents" rather implies something representative, as opposed to the most extreme outlier.  

45010941-9753277-image-a-3_1625367298402

A picture from last night's rally.  Why Iconic?  Because nearly 40-45% of this country worships this Devil.  They will do everything they can to undermine Biden 

and regain power.  We are closer to the end of America than you think and if they get power next year; they will do everything to make sure their Dictator regains 

power in 24 or sooner.  Civil War isn't that far off.  This photo is iconic because it represent a clear and present danger to the U.S.A. 

Edited by Rdskns2000
  • Sad 2

Breezewood%2C_Pennsylvania.jpg

Larry, I remember that thread from however long ago it was, and I'll pick a picture of the same area I used for the original thread. Its Breezewood, PA, and just kind of illustrates the land of abundance we live in......although maybe Poker Packer's pic illustrates that better!

But as you said, the original thread was a while ago, and even though we should always be thankful that we live in a country of freedom and abundance, Rdskns2000's pic is a reminder that it seems like today is at least a much more cynical time than it was when you started the original.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hail2skins said:

Breezewood%2C_Pennsylvania.jpg

Larry, I remember that thread from however long ago it was, and I'll pick a picture of the same area I used for the original thread. Its Breezewood, PA, and just kind of illustrates the land of abundance we live in......although maybe Poker Packer's pic illustrates that better!

But as you said, the original thread was a while ago, and even though we should always be thankful that we live in a country of freedom and abundance, Rdskns2000's pic is a reminder that it seems like today is at least a much more cynical time than it was when you started the original.

Ah, yes, I do pass through there on my way to Western PA for Thanksgiving.