Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

I’m really rooting for Steve sims. The guy is just so damn quick that he’s borderline uncoverable on quick hitters. Hearing that he’s working overtime on the jug machine shows me a lot. I’ve been a fan since he broke out in the preseason game when all eyes were on Cam. I hated what he did to this team last year with his hand issues, but if he’s really cleaning it up then he will be a starting caliber wr.

The wr cut will be a tough one. I don’t think cam, Steve, or dax are safe on the practice squad and I only see two of the three them making the team (AGG to the PS).

@Skinsinparadise to circle back to darnold, I couldn’t be happier that we avoided him; I thought darnold was horrible and I was truly worried when we were linked. That being said, Adam gase was the worst head coach. By a longshot. Darnold didn’t show me one reason for optimism, but I’m very curious to see what he can do in a different system with a good coach. This will be a good case study. 

Back when we signed Steven Sims as an undrafted rookie, I watched his tape from college and saw the twitch you need to play in the slot. His flat line speed isn’t up there with others but predicted he would be better than Trey Quinn and eventually he took over. 

Going into his 2nd year we all had high hopes for him but frankly he just fell flat like plain awful and him dropping punts was unacceptable. Even in last week’s game he dropped a pass that was behind him but still catchable. I think his performance from last year is embedded in the minds of the coaching staff and he will need to show a lot to make the roster. I say put him on the PS and take a chance he doesn’t get claimed. Give him a chance to keep working and come back next year fully prepared to compete. 

By the way don’t forget Harmon was still probably not 100% healthy coming into camp. For a guy with little speed I’m sure that injury made him even slower. I think he will catch on with a different team especially next year. 

Edited by skinsfan93

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Holy crap, has your handle always been Borgold, or did you change it to that from Burgold? 

Is this another Berenstain Bears situation where I have had a false memory in my head for years?

I WAS THINKING THE SAME DAMN THING FOR THE LAST COUPLE WEEKS!!!

But now I'm scared...you and I had the same thought...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, CTskin said:

I’m really rooting for Steve sims. The guy is just so damn quick that he’s borderline uncoverable on quick hitters. Hearing that he’s working overtime on the jug machine shows me a lot. I’ve been a fan since he broke out in the preseason game when all eyes were on Cam. I hated what he did to this team last year with his hand issues, but if he’s really cleaning it up then he will be a starting caliber wr.

The wr cut will be a tough one. I don’t think cam, Steve, or dax are safe on the practice squad and I only see two of the three them making the team (AGG to the PS).

@Skinsinparadise to circle back to darnold, I couldn’t be happier that we avoided him; I thought darnold was horrible and I was truly worried when we were linked. That being said, Adam gase was the worst head coach. By a longshot. Darnold didn’t show me one reason for optimism, but I’m very curious to see what he can do in a different system with a good coach. This will be a good case study. 

I do like that he's been working on his hands, but often that tends to be something that a guy either has or he doesn't. Not that it's impossible to improve, but it seems like usually guys who have the dropsies tend to keep them. I remember reading/watching how much Hankerson worked on his hands so he wouldn't drop as many passes...and at the end of the day it just didn't make that much of a difference.

58 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I assume he's talking about Steven Sims. I think it's incredibly unlikely that he takes the spot Humphries has. Humphries is a much more proven slot receiver and has a good rapport with Fitz.

As far as AGG, I was intrigued when watching his college cutups, but I also noticed that he didn't run very sharp routes and seemed to get by mostly on his natural talent vs inferior competition. None of that is surprising coming from a small school, but even with that the leash is only going to be so long. Eventually the guy has to flash or someone else will step up.

It's always fun to watch a guy like that who has the big catch radius and body control to get those high point balls and Moss people, but that alone isn't enough to make in the NFL nowadays.

I'd probably take Milne over AGG at this point. He's younger but already seems to be a more precise route runner, has excellent hands and can return kicks. 

I think what Finlay means by take Humphries spot is he would sub for him at slot if needed.  The beat guys if anything seem infatuated with Humphries as am I after watching him in practices.

In practices, you could see a players quickness.  Humphries looks really quick even though he isn't fast.  And i try not to be stuck with my preconceptions when watching players in practice, I wasn't a S. Sims guy before camp.  But I admit S. Sims looked surprisingly really quick, too.   My issue with S. Sims is I don't like him as a return guy and also I see him as a pure slot player.  Right now we got Humphries and Samuel in the slot.  Feels like we need backups who play outside well.   But based on what I saw it wouldn't surprise me if S. Sims made it. 

As for Milne.  He intrigues me as a backup.  I saw some acrobatic catches in the practices i watched.  But as I said then he doesn't seem quick in and out of his breaks like lets say Humphries did.  Maybe part of that is just about learning the playbook where you aren't thinking as much.  Plus that was weeks ago so he likely kept improving.  Pretty much every college coach touts their former players when drafted by the NFL.  But it wasn't hard to miss Milne got special props on that front on twitter among other places from his college coaches.   He seems to be billed like Terry as as a dude who works really hard and wants to be great.  I don't think its a coincidence that coaching staffs have billed both guys during their rookie camps as more advanced than they expected.  Granted though Milne doesn't have Terry's talent. But I think Milne could be a solid backup.  

• Thanks 4

2 hours ago, dckey said:

All this talk of Cam Sims not making it, but Isn't he our best special teams coverage WR?  If so wouldn't that almost guarantee him a spot?

It often seems like the number 5/6 WR needs to play teams - I wonder, is Milne is getting any reps on teams?

16 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I do like that he's been working on his hands, but often that tends to be something that a guy either has or he doesn't. Not that it's impossible to improve, but it seems like usually guys who have the dropsies tend to keep them. I remember reading/watching how much Hankerson worked on his hands so he wouldn't drop as many passes...and at the end of the day it just didn't make that much of a difference.

Very true. Off the top of my head I’m struggling to think of one wr who fixed butterhands at the pro level. My only reason for optimism here is that I don’t recall this being a knock on him coming in (which could just be due to me not doing enough due diligence on an undraftedFA), so there’s a chance it was just big game jitters that snowballed into a mental thing, which could potentially be fixable?

it couldn’t be a smaller sample size, but the catch he made last week was textbook.

holy **** I’m a glass half-full guy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Holy crap, has your handle always been Borgold, or did you change it to that from Burgold? 

Is this another Berenstain Bears situation where I have had a false memory in my head for years?

This is the brilliance of @TK's punishment. I have explained this at least half a dozen times. I think it may be time to plead for parole :ols:

• Haha 15

56 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Mandela effect.  Does the fruit of the loom logo have a cornucopia in it?

"Fruit of the Loom, founded in 1851, is an American maker of underwear and other sorts of clothing. A red apple, leaves, green grapes, currants, and purple grapes are depicted in their logo. However, many people recall the emblem having a famous cornucopia (horn of abundance) behind the fruits, which was never present."  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Borgold said:

This is the brilliance of @TK's punishment. I have explained this at least half a dozen times. I think it may be time to plead for parole :ols:

I literally was just going to boldly ask you why you changed the spelling of your name, and now I read this.

I was gonna be like, "I missed the punchline, when you decided to modify your name. Please kindly fill me in. Because I don't get it"

I see that I am the 7th person to do such a thing, though :(

14 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I literally was just going to boldly ask you why you changed the spelling of your name, and now I read this.

I was gonna be like, "I missed the punchline, when you decided to modify your name. Please kindly fill me in. Because I don't get it"

No, it's all right. About 6 weeks ago in the Stadium I posted a ninja text that no one could read unless they specifically opened the ninja box. In it was a bit of political snark. I warned people not to read the ninja text because it contained political snark. My inability to resist making a jibe made TK think I was more Borg than Burg and so he changed my name.

I thought it was fitting so I haven't protested the punishment, but the insidiousness of having to explain it was a drip torture I didn't expect :D. The snark, however, was useful and necessary so I don't regret the punishment too much.

• Haha 7
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Borgold said:

No, it's all right. About 6 weeks ago in the Stadium I posted a ninja text that no one could read unless they specifically opened the ninja box. In it was a bit of political snark. I warned people not to read the ninja text because it contained political snark. My inability to resist making a jibe made TK think I was more Borg than Burg and so he changed my name.

I thought it was fitting so I haven't protested the punishment, but the insidiousness of having to explain it was a drip torture I didn't expect :D. The snark, however, was useful and necessary so I don't regret the punishment too much.

If @TK won't set you free from this name by now, perhaps the least he could do is Sticky this explanation at the top, to let everyone read it at the top, so you don't have the added torture of re-explaining it to so many people. Unless that was his intention 😁

41 minutes ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

image.png.21e4402de4ccb866c180a8a3cf48cb21.png

I wonder if KR/PR counts as "teams duties" for a 5/6 WR. I presume so, but I always took it to mean they need to be on coverage and FG duty. Often a KR/PR is a regular.... it's all in how a roster is constructed.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I wondered too, but as more of a lurker decided to leave it alone.  Thanks for starting this round of story telling McQueen.  Haha

• Like 3

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Mandela effect.  Does the fruit of the loom logo have a cornucopia in it?

Lol yeah. I've been looking into all of em. The Berenstein Bear one threw me for a loop since I ALWAYS remembered it differently.

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I got to rewatch AGG to refresh my memory about him.  But I recall that off season like the previous one i watched a ton of college WRs(as I know you do, too) and there was some stiffness about AGG that I thought he got away with his inferior college competition that I thought could hold him back in the NFL.   He also wasn't quite as tough as someone like Harmon with the ball in his hands although he had some moments.  It's not that he lacked toughness but he struck nothing special on that front aside from high pointing the ball and coming up with the ball at the end. 

He seemed to be a bit of a clunky route runner who didn't break quickly to my eyes and relied on his superior physicality (against inferior college competiton) to get behind receivers or outjump them.  I recall i wasn't so blown away by his skills that it made me think he'd get away with that style in the NFL.

Doctson to me is a good comp to AGG.  I am not saying that because of Doctson failing but Doctson's niche in college was high pointing the ball.  You'd throw it up and like Dez Bryant in his prime, he'd end up with the ball at the end.  Doctson could really high point with the best of them in college.  But unlike, Dez, Doctson wasn't that physical in the NFL.   And Doctson wasn't the best route runner and wasn't good with releases.  i am not saying AGG will suffer from the same fate but I could see a narrative like that play out with him -- it doesn't strike me far fetched.

I could see Doctson as a sort of pessimistic comparison for AGG.  They do have a lot of overlap in skills.  Hopefully he's got more competitive fire than Doctson did though.

I recommend rewatching AGG's cut ups.  I didn't really watch him much before the draft, so I just rewatched them myself and they were surprisingly good.  If it's true that Scott Turner banged the table for him pre-draft, I think I can see why he did.  His big plays are absolutely spectacular, and when I said that I think his hands are more spectacular than Milne, I wasn't arguing that he's more consistent drops-wise.  Instead I was saying that he has that top tier Odell-like knack for hauling in the circus catches.

It's also led me to rethink my critique of his play strength.  He's a very lanky athlete, but I thought he actually showed pretty good play strength and he made a ton of catches through brackets with defenders draped all over him.  There was some Calvin Johnson defense being played on him because of him being the only threat in his offense and how obvious and high volume his targets were, and he still made plays through that junk.  Liberty was also very basic in the way they used him--always at X and running a traditional route tree.  In the Syracuse game he did face a lot of quality press and he handled it well.  His release game is far more sudden and effective than I realized.  And I also liked the way he broke off his vertical stems on his comebacks--shockingly sudden and just the right amount of physicality at the top of the stem to create separation.  I actually don't think his problem is quickness.  He's quick, particularly for a 6'4 receiver, and his first couple of gears are really good.  You can see the surprising burst on that one run play he had for us last season.

Instead I think his problem is long speed.  He's got a low top gear and DBs catch back up to him after his initial separation on the release and on the break.  He's also not particularly dynamic with the ball in his hands, and his tendency is to try and just run through contact.  I found it kind of surprising he was such an effective deep threat given he profiles like a possession receiver physically, but I think that came from him actually being able to get off the line pretty well and use his body to create viable throwing lanes for his (lousy) QB, and then he was awesome at adjusting to throws in the air and improvising to come down with the ball in coverage.  He was putting pressure on DBs with his size and hands rather than his speed.

I did notice that he was a good blocker too.  In the Buffalo game he sprung a big TD by creating a good crease, and he showed a willingness as a blocker that was encouraging, particularly for a top dog WR with a huge workload.  He also created space for underneath routes and outside runs because of the huge amount of gravity he had on defenses as the only real threat in his offense.  Corners in man coverage have to carry him deep.

I'm rooting for him to make the team because he has the highest upside as an X among our developmental prospects.  He's big and our WR room is pretty small otherwise.  I want to see what Scott Turner and the WR coaches can do with him, because he's a worthwhile project.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1