Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

Schweitzer at RG in the preseason game popped to me.  He's aggressive and a good run blocker.  If he doesn't start, then he'll be the top interior reserve.  But Flowers will have his work cut out for him to beat Schweitzer for the starting LG job.  He could do it though.

Charles is in trouble.  He doesn't have a path to playing time this year.  He doesn't even have a path to being active on game days unless a starter goes down.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Reaves is a FS and no, he is not good at the game of football. Not professionally. 

Apke is at CB and having a good camp. They are not competing with each other.

So, do you want Reaves over McCain, Curl, Everette (ST Captain) or Forrest?

Apke is competing against Danny Johnson (not a KR anymore) and Akpe is a really good gunner.

Saying Reaves can’t play but then pumping up Apke is… a take. I’ll admit that Apke seems to be having a good camp and may make the roster as a 6th CB/ special teamer, but let’s pump the brakes. He’s been awful as a defensive player in his first 3 seasons in the league and now he’s trying to learn a new position. Reaves at least put together a string of pretty good starts at the end of last year. Reaves unfortunately is just in a numbers crunch. I think he only makes it if they decide Forrest is an acceptable cheap alternative to Everett and move on from him. 

Side note: since when is Danny Johnson no longer the kick returner? He started the game last week as the kick returner and got most of the work there. Not to say he couldn’t lose the job, but it still seems to be his until we see otherwise. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Schweitzer at RG in the preseason game popped to me.  He's aggressive and a good run blocker.  If he doesn't start, then he'll be the top interior reserve.  But Flowers will have his work cut out for him to beat Schweitzer for the starting LG job.  He could do it though.

Charles is in trouble.  He doesn't have a path to playing time this year.  He doesn't even have a path to being active on game days unless a starter goes down.

I don't know about that. 

Everyone quips about Scherff getting injured every year. Everyone naturally will get a bump during a slightly longer season. 

He's getting time at guard and LT. Has the versatility to play 4/5 spots. Dealing with injuries in his first NFL season, you'd hope he changed his routine up (read that he had) and that new form takes some adjustment. 

Next year, he's either the first man in with any injury, or a starter. Is that an awful development path for a day 3 pick? Two years a reserve, the first injured and a lost year, and then a primary reserve who is then promoted to a starting spot mid-year in his 3rd year or by his fourth season.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumb up 1

For me as to Cam Sims.  The thing that turned me off to him albiet that was years back in some interview he was asked about route running and his answer struck me just odd where he more or less said he's not a craftsman type on route running, he sees ball and catches ball.  Granted that was years ago but I wondered at the time how much homework he does to do to refine his craft?

He does though have nice size and good speed for his size.  He was the best WR against Tampa, feisty with the ball in his hands. I don't mind him as the 4-5th receiver but for now I don't see him as a starter.

Fitz likes throwing to tall receivers.  Cam would fit that mold.  In Richmond, he got a lot of reps with the 1's.

I loved a lot of receivers in that draft, AGG wasn't one of them so maybe that biases me some 😀 as for giving him the benefit of the doubt.  Didn't hate him.  Didn't love him.  I waffled on him.  I feel the same way now including after watching much of their camp in Richmond.    Naturally, though I am rooting for him as I do all the players.    For me, I'd like to see a breakout game or practice.  Not just a flash but a killer preseason game or practice.

I do like Milne from what I've seen and heard over AGG.  There isn't one thing that blows me socks off about AGG.  But Milne's hands to me are special.   I'd be interested in where Scott Turner was in selecting Milne.  I am saying that because Keim stresses Turner was all over AGG before the draft and that helps AGG's status.  Wonder if the same thing is in play with Milne?

I've heard several times from those who cover the team that at the time it was Sean McVay who pounded the table for Josh Doctson before that draft.  So coaches of course can make mistakes. But I do think if they asked for a player before the draft they will double down on that player for as long as possible to prove themselves right. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

6 minutes ago, terpfan said:

Saying Reaves can’t play but then pumping up Apke is… a take. I’ll admit that Apke seems to be having a good camp and may make the roster as a 6th CB/ special teamer, but let’s pump the brakes. He’s been awful as a defensive player in his first 3 seasons in the league and now he’s trying to learn a new position. Reaves at least put together a string of pretty good starts at the end of last year. Reaves unfortunately is just in a numbers crunch. I think he only makes it if they decide Forrest is an acceptable cheap alternative to Everett and move on from him. 

Side note: since when is Danny Johnson no longer the kick returner? He started the game last week as the kick returner and got most of the work there. Not to say he couldn’t lose the job, but it still seems to be his until we see otherwise. 

Well, they keep adding people to the KRs, so I doubt they're very happy with DJ. It was also a point to upgrade in the offseason. 

I'm not trying to pump up Apke as a defensive player over Reaves. I'm saying Reaves has been on the team 3 years, got to play and didn't look great, hence McCain. I think Apke being very good on STs, is why they seem to be making an effort to keep him on the roster. Reaves doesn't add that.

Everette is a ST Captain and back up FS.

12 hours ago, 86 Snyder said:

Thanks.  To be clear, I wasnt demanding a link or anything.  Was just curious where you got it from.  I guess he was better than I thought last year.

I have to wonder how much of an impact not wanting Alex Smith running qb sneaks had on Barber and short yardage.  Does taking away the 3rd and a yard or less runs alter his efficiency stats much?

Either way though, Barber was a guy they could trust in short yardage situations.  He could also be used with PA or in pass pro on 3rd and shorts in the opponent’s half (ie having an impact in both the run and pass game).  

On the other hand, his 1st and 2nd down numbers show how badly we need someone else taking those carries if Gibson misses time.  Of course, while I think Patterson makes the team, it could be a situation instead where you instead call up a guy from the PS if you need to replace those early down carries.  I think they should give Patterson chances with the 1s in short yardage and goaline carries though.  Similar to the argument for the rookie TEs both making the team - contract, potential, and adding a vet if Thomas goes down - you can always call up a Barber-like back (or Barber himself, I doubt he gets picked up) if need be while rolling with Patterson to begin with.  Obviously they may just choose to keep 4 backs instead.

Edited by skinny21

17 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I mentioned this when I was at camp practices, Schweitzer looks so buffed that he stands out even standing in line with his teammates from the O line including Scherff.  I read somewhere he lifted some insane amount of weight this off season.  Not that pure physical strength is the be all and end all for that spot but for its worth he seems to have that attribute cornered big time. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I mentioned this when I was at camp practices, Schweitzer looks so buffed that he stands out even standing in line with his teammates from the O line including Scherff.  I read somewhere he lifted some insane amount of weight this off season.  Not that pure physical strength is the be all and end all for that spot but for its worth he seems to have that attribute cornered big time. 

And extremely agile and athletic, too

And his workouts are legendary

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Milne has been a constant in the punt return rotation, which was part of his skillset with the Cougars. And he got to show that off against the Patriots, which resulted in a 19-yard return. He also made two receptions for 16 yards.

"Excited about what Dax Milne did," Rivera said last Friday after the game. "He's a solid young football player. Dax, he's a guy that's caught our attention."

Rivera pointed out that Milne came prepared because he caught a lot of balls for BYU, and he's right. He had 101 catches in college, 70 of which came in 2020, when he recorded 1,188 receiving yards -- the fourth-most in college football -- and eight touchdowns.

On top of that, Milne has listened to his coaches and taken pointers from McLaurin and some of the other more experienced wideouts. That has helped him increase his favor in the coaches' eyes.

"You see him coming out of his own element and starting to create who he is, his own persona," Rivera said.

The reality of Milne's situation is that there are only so many spots for receivers on Washington's roster, even if the team decides to keep seven in the group. With that being said, the best way for Milne to earn a spot on the roster is by making plays. So far, so good for the rookie in that category. And because of that, his coaches want to see more from him.

"I think he's ahead of where you would think a lot of young guys would be at this time," Rivera said. "I'm real pleased of what he's showing us."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If Dax gets opportunities at punt and kick return this week I could see him making the team! We need an upgrade over Danny Johnson and S. Sims just hasnt improved. 

While Dyami isn’t short we still need one taller receiver and based on his performance last year Cam is making the team especially once they cut Kelvin. I like AGG but he will need to show more in preseason. I think he goes on the practice squad. 

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I’m not worried about Charles.  Though, as of today, he’s likely the lineman that doesn’t dress.  Though I can see him beating out Lucas as the swing tackle as the year goes on.

Just now, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I tried to come up with an answer to his question for 5 minutes and couldn’t come up with anything, but i agree with this 😂 

I know right...

I saw it and was like OH ****!!!!

It's like Rowdy Piper from They Live...PartyPosse got those funky glasses.

image.jpeg

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Someone explain how Milne is any different than Trey Quinn?

Just from what I've seen from Milne in his college tape, camp rep videos and limited preseason, the immediate thing that sticks out to me is that Milne is much more sudden in and out of his breaks and creates more separation. IMO that gives him the ability to play inside or outside...something Quinn never had or at least never demonstrated.

Also, Milne looks like he's 12 years old. Quinn looked like he was 16.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I tried to come up with an answer to his question for 5 minutes and couldn’t come up with anything, but i agree with this 😂 

It's obvious why we drafted him.

1) Scrappy
2) High motor
3) Gamer
4) Sneaky athletic
5) Gritty
6) Winner
7) High Receiver IQ
😎 Good fundamentals
9) Plays the game the right way
10) Lunch pail guy
11) Heady and/or cerebral
12) Deceptive speed
13) Gym rat
14) Intangibles
15) Gets the most out of his abilities
16) Has a lot of heart
17) Grinder
18) Out-hustles
19) Someone you’d love your daughter to date

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Reaves is a FS and no, he is not good at the game of football. Not professionally. 

Apke is at CB and having a good camp. They are not competing with each other.

So, do you want Reaves over McCain, Curl, Everette (ST Captain) or Forrest?

Apke is competing against Danny Johnson (not a KR anymore) and Akpe is a really good gunner.

You're giving credit to Apke for camp but not credit to Reaves for actual gameplay. It's debatable, but I'd go with Reaves. Position flex with guys like McCain mean you can keep the top DBs not all necessarily by position group. And for all the hype Apke gets for special teams, Reaves outperformed him there as well. That's why I go Reaves over Apke. 

We will have to wait and see how the coaches see it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1