Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

25 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This backs up with what I thought I saw last night, blocking his guy to the ground.  I remember when he was first being discussed here, most were thinking about what he could do down the field with that eye-popping RAS, but I was wondering what if he can toss people out of the way also.  Tricky decision coming with him, but I found myself not being very impressed with Hemmingway (despite the camp reviews) or Seals-Jones.

Edited by Bifflog
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Bifflog said:

This backs up with what I thought I saw last night, blocking his guy to the ground.  I remember when he was first being discussed here, most were thinking about what he could do down the field with that eye-popping RAS, but I was wondering what if he can toss people out of the way also.  Tricky decision coming with him, but I found myself not being very impressed with Hemmingway (despite the camp reviews) or Seals-Jones.

I thought Seals-Jones looked pretty good as a pass catcher. That sideline catch should have counted, looked like he did a good job of dragging his toe to me. 

• Like 2

Pleased with Holcomb's development.  But not a happy camper that Davis is behind Bostic in Nickel.

That said, it's not the worst thing to have a 1st rounder be eased into playing time when the next 3 draft picks include 2 day one starters (Juice in Nickel is basically a starter) and a 3rd rotational WR that looks to get good playing time.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Bifflog said:

Obviously “physical” is different from “sound”, but it he does look good (or at least better than Hemingway/RSJ) blocking, that’s huge for him… and not something I would have expected.

Glad coach is positive about Patterson - so much better for the team if you can get a cheap, longer contract in there, particularly since he has more promise than Barber/Miller.  If he can return punts too?  That’s big.  Looking forward to seeing him in these next two games.  BTW, that pass he caught near the end zone was excellent.  Recognized the qb scramble drill, came back/got himself ‘open’, stayed beyond the sticks and got his hands under the ball - really good stuff.  Considering the uncertainty around him as a pass catcher, he did quite well last night.  

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, skinny21 said:

Obviously “physical” is different from “sound”, but it he does look good (or at least better than Hemingway/RSJ) blocking, that’s huge for him… and not something I would have expected.

It was less of a comparison against those guys, and more of the thought that if you practice squad him, someone might thieve your project.  If the veterans don't look great, maybe you roster him without the intent of playing him outside of some specific packages.

22 minutes ago, terpfan said:

I thought Seals-Jones looked pretty good as a pass catcher. That sideline catch should have counted, looked like he did a good job of dragging his toe to me. 

Definite catch I thought as well.

1 minute ago, Bifflog said:

It was less of a comparison against those guys, and more of the thought that if you practice squad him, someone might thieve your project.  If the veterans don't look great, maybe you roster him without the intent of playing him outside of some specific packages.

Definite catch I thought as well.

Yeah, I was more piggybacking off your post.  Similar to Patterson, Reyes making the 53 would be pretty big - money, youth, contract length and promise.  If they both play pretty well the next two games, but don’t make the squad, there’s definitely a chance they get poached off the PS (maybe not immediately, but as injuries occur, it’s possible).  Not that I think teams would be salivating over them, but it would suck to lose promising guys that could be future contributors while we instead keep short term vets (that we then have to replace next year or whenever).

22 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Glad coach is positive about Patterson - so much better for the team if you can get a cheap, longer contract in there, particularly since he has more promise than Barber/Miller.  If he can return punts too?  That’s big.  Looking forward to seeing him in these next two games.  BTW, that pass he caught near the end zone was excellent.  Recognized the qb scramble drill, came back/got himself ‘open’, stayed beyond the sticks and got his hands under the ball - really good stuff.  Considering the uncertainty around him as a pass catcher, he did quite well last night.  

Coach Rivera said today that they want to see what Patterson can do returning punts. I'm really excited for him. I believe we got a steal when it's all said and done.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, RedskinsVa7 said:

Coach Rivera said today that they want to see what Patterson can do returning punts. I'm really excited for him. I believe we got a steal when it's all said and done.

Sounds like looking for a way to justify keeping him to me, would love for it to work out.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Matches what I saw.  He wasn't doing very well in pass protection, but was a road grader in the run game last night.

Great choice to keep our 2nd round pick in the game to get some experience and reps. It's what pre-season is for. J.davis didn't impress like I had hoped he would. He was expectedly hesitant. Reps help with that, makes me wonder what Rons thoughts were on that topic.

*Edit, I see that Davis actually got 20 snaps, about twice the number I thought he saw.

Edited by bowhunter

1 hour ago, Bifflog said:

Sounds like looking for a way to justify keeping him to me, would love for it to work out.

Yeah my guess is they see him forcing his way onto the roster but they still like Barber for short yardage. So having him as an option as a returner gives him a little more value to justify keeping him as a 4th RB. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RedskinsVa7 said:

I really like this suggestion.  Brian Mitchell made the same point on his post game show.  We’ve seen that Patterson can make people miss.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RedskinsVa7 said:

I saw an article this morning from Bleacher Report saying we should trade Heinieke for QB needy teams. You guys think that will happen? Me personally I want him here and hopefully he can be our long term QB if everything works out.

Only if someone wants to way over pay. A good back up QB is gold. You don't trade that for silver.

• Like 4

Reviving this thread to talk roster predictions post-Preseason Game 1.

I'll admit I'm still scratching my head about a lot of spots. WR, TE, DE, CB, S all feel very much in the air still. But here we go...

QB (3): Fitzpatrick, Heinicke, Allen

Just missed: --

Steven Montez had a nice drive at the end of the game, but I think he's still clearly the 4th option unless Allen's injury ends up being longer term than expected.

RB (4): Gibson, McKissic, Barber, Patterson

Just missed: --

If a 4th RB makes this roster, it will be because Patterson forced his way on. And after game one, that certainly seems to be possible, even likely.

WR (6): McLaurin, Samuel, Humphries, Brown, C. Sims, S. Sims Jr

Just missed: Carter, Milne, Harmon, Gandy-Golden

By far the most competitive position on the roster. Carter and Steven Sims seem to be in the lead in the competition for #6 wide receiver/punt returner, and neither did anything to hurt their stock in Game 1. I'm giving Sims Jr the advantage as the "incumbent." Milne had a couple catches and a nice punt return himself, so I don't think he's completely out of it, but best case would be to stash him on the practice squad initially. Harmon and Gandy-Golden each had one pretty nice catch in traffic (still not sure why AGG's was overturned). If we keep 7 WRs I think one of Harmon/AGG is the 7th to add a bit more size. I like Isaiah Wright but just don't see how he fits in. Starting to become quite a numbers crunch!

TE (3): Thomas, Bates, Reyes

Just missed: Seals-Jones, Hemmingway

This is a really though one to gauge so far. Thomas and Bates are locks, but I went back and forth on the 3rd guy a few times. I like what Seals-Jones brings as a pass catcher to compliment Bates as a blocker. Reports were that Hemmingway was the #2 tight end in camp, but he certainly didn't look it on Thursday night. Reyes showed some flashes, but obviously is still pretty raw to be counting on in real games. That said, ultimately players like Seals-Jones and Hemmingway are always out there... Sammis Reyes has too much potential to risk losing, and is starting to show enough to indicate that he could at least hold his own if pressed into action. He'll have two more games to continue to prove that.

OL (9): Leno, Schweitzer, Roullier, Scherff, Cosmi, Lucas, Flowers, Larsen, Charles

Just missed: Ismael

The starting five seems set. The top 3 backups at each position (Tackle: Lucas, Guard: Flowers, Center: Larsen) seem pretty set as well. Charles makes for a great 9th OL given his versatility. Ismael is a former 5th round pick, so they might try to squeeze him in as a 10th OL, but at this point it doesn't seem necessary.

DE (4): Young, Sweat, Smith-Williams, Bradley-King

Just missed: Toney, Toohill

Outside of Young's monster hit on Cam Newton, no one from this group really stood out enough to change the pecking order. WBK keeps the edge over Toney for the 4th spot, for now. Toohill missing the game for injury hurts his chances, he'll need to get back on the field soon.

DT (4): Allen, Payne, Ionnadis, Settle

Just missed: --

Given the strength of the top 4, a 5th DT would need to make a significant impact to make the roster, in my opinion. I've seen some projections with Devaroe Lawrence making it but not sure I see the need. David Bada had a sack in Game 1 - worth keeping an eye on him but don't think he has a real chance at the roster at this point.

LB (6): Holcomb, Davis, Bostic, Hudson, Mayo, Norris

Just missed: Phillips, Walker, Kunaszyk

Not an inspiring day from this group. Davis looked like a rookie. Bostic missed tackles. The 5th and 6th guys are basically making the roster by default. I don't see much separating anyone after the top 4. Hopefully we see a few more flashes from the LBs in game 2.

CB (6): Jackson III, Fuller, St-Juste, Moreland, Johnson, McTyer

Just missed: Roberts, Apke

This is the position group I have the least confidence about how it will shake out. The top 4 are locks, but after that.. do you keep 5? 6? And who? Danny Johnson seems to have the inside track because he's being given the first crack at kick return duties. Torry McTyer is getting a lot of run and seems to be taking advantage of it. Darryl Roberts is a veteran FA acquisition who actually got a decent sized contract, so I wouldn't count him out. And then there's the enigma of Troy Apke... I'm still in denial that he could make the roster again, but the staff still does seem to like his special teams ability and keeps giving him chances.

S (5): Collins, Curl, McCain, Everett, Forrest

Just missed: Reaves

Five safeties isn't normally a given, but given the six solid options we have on the roster, I don't see how we don't at least keep five of them. The first 3 are locks. Everett strikes me as a guy they either cut early to give younger guys a chance and let him catch on elsewhere, or otherwise he will make the roster for his special teams ability and veteran presence. Forrest gets the nod for the 5th spot because he was just drafted in the 5th round. It would pain me to cut Reaves, as I think he has some potential and has a deep coverage skill set that isn't easy to find, but it's a numbers game and he seems to be the odd man out at the moment.

ST (3): Hopkins, Way, Cheeseman

Just missed: --

Like everyone else, I'd be onboard with some competition for Hopkins. I get the argument that the unit needs to work on timing with a new long snapper but... yeesh. That was ugly.

Edited by terpfan
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1