Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

Think I saw Charles as the 3rd string LT.  I'm going to guess he'll play a different OL position in Game 2 and another in Game 3.

I wonder if we're going to swap whose on what string for next game as well.  If that doesn't happen, then the depth chart seems set.

McTlyer (McTyver?) Seemed the clear CB5.  If that resumes over Danny Johnson or Apke in Game 2, then sounds like he's made the team.

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just found this.  And found elsewhere Charles was playing with the third team.

I missed him, I was kind of tuning out on our third string offense after the INT.  Not going to lie, it's disappointing that both he and Gandy-Golden are so far down the depth chart.  I have hope for both of them though.

26 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I missed him, I was kind of tuning out on our third string offense after the INT.  Not going to lie, it's disappointing that both he and Gandy-Golden are so far down the depth chart.  I have hope for both of them though.

Charles, in my view, looked good at LT.  Keep in mind that they kept Schweitzer and Cosmi with the second team.  So OL 9 and 10 was in that third unit (Charles, Martin, Ishmael, Benzschawel, and Steimetz).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Charles, in my view, looked good at LT.  Keep in mind that they kept Schweitzer and Cosmi with the second team.  So OL 9 and 10 was in that third unit (Charles, Martin, Ishmael, Benzschawel, and Steimetz).

Yeah if they want to see Charles at LT (good sign) then he had to come in with the 3rd unit. I still have high hopes for him and don't think he will have an issue making the team. I think the 9 OLs are pretty set at this point: Leno, Schweitzer, Roullier, Scherff, Cosmi, Lucas, Flowers, Charles, Larsen

1 minute ago, terpfan said:

Yeah if they want to see Charles at LT (good sign) then he had to come in with the 3rd unit. I still have high hopes for him and don't think he will have an issue making the team. I think the 9 OLs are pretty set at this point: Leno, Schweitzer, Roullier, Scherff, Cosmi, Lucas, Flowers, Charles, Larsen

5th rounder Ismael might not make the team.  Wonder what the issue is.

35 minutes ago, terpfan said:

All things being equal and what we've heard wouldn't Cosmi LT and Charles RT be more likely is 2022?  Or do people expect Charles to be the better blind side option?

Just now, RedskinsVa7 said:

I saw an article this morning from Bleacher Report saying we should trade Heinieke for QB needy teams. You guys think that will happen? Me personally I want him here and hopefully he can be our long term QB if everything works out.

Until Allen looks fairly healthy, I have no interest in making a move there and maybe even after.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, redskinss said:

It's a good thing the defender did a spin move on that play and not a bull rush or cosmi would have landed on his ass pretty hard.

That's how it was at Texas with Cosmi.  Messy looking reps and inconsistent sets, but a good motor and a sort of desperate will to stay alive on even the reps he loses from the get go.  And then you see his grades at the end of the game and it will be no sacks, maybe one pressure, and a bunch of pancakes.  Scherff was like this too as a young player.  I think they are cut from the same cloth and that Cosmi can get really good when the technique catches up and he learns to work smart as well as he works hard.

7 minutes ago, RedskinsVa7 said:

I saw an article this morning from Bleacher Report saying we should trade Heinieke for QB needy teams. You guys think that will happen? Me personally I want him here and hopefully he can be our long term QB if everything works out.

We're a QB needy team.  We should not be dealing any of our QBs until we have a mainstay at the position.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, terpfan said:

I can't really agree that it's a good sign for him when a player's on the third string.  Could just be that they really wanted to put Cosmi to work and that Charles will play more with the second stringers next game, but as of now Charles has no path to playing time and we certainly can't be looking at him as a future long term starter at this point.  Not yet anyway.

12 minutes ago, jsharrin55 said:

All things being equal and what we've heard wouldn't Cosmi LT and Charles RT be more likely is 2022?  Or do people expect Charles to be the better blind side option?

I don't know about Charles being a future starter, but if it were up to me, I would leave Cosmi at RT.  I would want to keep it simple for him and let him master and take ownership of his position.

I'm not sure 22's starting LT is on the roster today, but if Leno plays well this year, it could certainly be him.

22's first round has a lot of potential prospects at LT in it.  If we are shut out of the QB class again, LT is a strong early bet for our pick.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I can't really agree that it's a good sign for him when a player's on the third string.  Could just be that they really wanted to put Cosmi to work and that Charles will play more with the second stringers next game, but as of now Charles has no path to playing time and we certainly can't be looking at him as a future long term starter at this point.  Not yet anyway.

Not disagreeing with your point, but…

1) we have 3 capable tackles ahead of him, and 3 capable/veteran guards

2) they played Cosmi longer for reps

3) they moved Sweitzer to RG with the 2’s (another strategic move - I don’t think it means a lack of confidence in Charles to be the 4th guard)

I had hoped he’d be further along - challenging for a starting role - but I don’t think last night means much in terms of how he is viewed by the staff.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, RedskinsVa7 said:

I mean if someone wants to give us a 2nd or 3rd you’d have to consider it but I doubt that will happen. I don’t see him as the QB of the future but he will be very valuable as a backup… when your starter is nearing 40 years old you almost have to expect he’s not playing 16 games. 

24 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don't know about Charles being a future starter, but if it were up to me, I would leave Cosmi at RT.  I would want to keep it simple for him and let him master and take ownership of his position.

I'm not sure 22's starting LT is on the roster today, but if Leno plays well this year, it could certainly be him.

22's first round has a lot of potential prospects at LT in it.  If we are shut out of the QB class again, LT is a strong early bet for our pick.

Unless we land a big name QB via trade before the draft, getting shut out of next year’s QB class shouldn’t be an option. So I think we’ll want to come out of free agency with at least a capable starter at LT. That certainly could just be re-signing Leno. He’s seemed to fit right in so far but will obviously depend on his play this year.