Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

I see Bullock was kind to S. Montez. 

Heinicke probably fits better in the Green category. Although not "young" in age, he is in the overall sense of the word. 

Jarret Patterson should be in the green as well.

I'd argue Logan Thomas should be in the red. 

• Like 4

I agree with @Alcoholic Zebrathat Roullier should be red, and I also agree with @KDawgthat Thomas should be red. Only reason I might be able to see it is because of having only one year of good production. But I still think that's a bit specious.

IMO rookies shouldn't really even be on there, or should have a category of their own.

Also not sure why Patterson is yellow instead of green. Isn't he a young guy with talent and upside but who hasn't been able to prove himself yet?

• Like 1

The below is strictly a FOOTBALL post:

Just listened to Jon Bostic being interviewed on Sirius NFL Radio. He mentioned that he has scheduled his vaccination but hasn’t gotten it yet. Makes me hopeful that there are other players that are planning on getting it, but just haven’t yet.  

Let me reiterate, this post is only about the football aspect of things.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I understand we need a quality backup at running back, someone who can be a spot starter in case AG is hurt. Obviously JD is entrenched as our receiving back. I heard Barber slimmed down a bit and could be more than our short yardage guy. Miller is a vet and has had a couple 1000 yard seasons. 

Im just saying let’s not assume Jaret Patterson will be replacing Barber or even Lamar Miller at least going into the season.  I think it’s a bit too soon for him to be this summer’s man crush ala Jimmy Moreland. After all, he played at a small school and wasn’t drafted. I’ll be rooting for him bc I believe he has a higher ceiling hopefully than Barber or Miller but PS seems to be more likely at least going into camp. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Some of his 2020 rankings were iffy back then (Ryan Anderson and Fabian Moreau as purple?), so some of this is a bit more like guesswork?  Also disagree with Kerrigan as a red heading into 2020.  Red against the pass, yellow/orange against the run.  I'd say that averaged out to a purple.

For 2021, I think the only changes I'd make are Jimmy Moreland.  He's between an orange and a purple depending on opponent.  Against better Slots, he was awkward following them in coverage.

If we stretch it, we can put Bostic in that same orange/purple match-up category, but he gets taken advantage of a little too easily at times.

Landon Collins inability to handle Cover 2/4 was worrisome.  Like yellow, worrisome.  But thanks to Bobby McCain able to play Cover 1/3, and hopefully Jackson/Juice's abilities in press, Collins playing more under zones like Robber, or patrolling the sticks, could very well keep his production at a purple.  But some of that has to be match-up dependent.  I'm hoping we waffle between Kurl and Collins at SS.

Defense is in a great spot.  To make a leap and be the best defense in the league.  It needs:

Juice & Holcomb to purple.

Jackson to blue.

McCain to red (when he's in Single High coverage)

Davis to actually be red as a rookie.

That's kind of a big ask for all of that.  So I'm not expecting a dominant year from the defense, just a good/great one.  But it's possible...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m excited about so many things for this year. I just had a flashback of week 1 last year when some guy in a #31 Jersey knifed into the backfield and blew up a swing or screen pass to perfection and I was like whoa who was that. Then I kept seeing a few plays a game like that from him til we all knew his name. 

Excited to see both vets and rookies step up this year in such a prove it/earn it system. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, moondog said:

I’m excited about so many things for this year. I just had a flashback of week 1 last year when some guy in a #31 Jersey knifed into the backfield and blew up a swing or screen pass to perfection and I was like whoa who was that. Then I kept seeing a few plays a game like that from him til we all knew his name. 

Excited to see both vets and rookies step up this year in such a prove it/earn it system. 

I’m really excited to watch Curl this year.  I’m wondering about the sophomore slump, because I’m one of those people that believes in the sophomore slump.  But this guy has so much promise and plays so hard, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him play better than he did last year.  He’s one of my top three players to watch this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vanguard said:

I’m really excited to watch Curl this year.  I’m wondering about the sophomore slump, because I’m one of those people that believes in the sophomore slump.  But this guy has so much promise and plays so hard, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him play better than he did last year.  He’s one of my top three players to watch this year.

The sophomore slump is usually mentioned as it relates to QBs, as DCs now have a full offseason to study their tendencies and gameplan against their weaknesses.  Not sure it really applies much to other positions.  For example, Sweat and Holcomb definitely improved last season vs. their rookie years.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Vanguard said:

I’m really excited to watch Curl this year.

I think it's going to be FASCINATING to watch what they do with the safeties in camp.  Because you have Curl and Collins who play essentially the same position.  You still have Everette, who played well until he got hurt (which he does with some regularity) and Derrick Forrest who they just drafted, but looks to be more of a special teams guy to start with.

You also have the possibility of mixing coverages and having Fuller play a little free safety.

How they mix and match (and mash?) the secondary together is going to be interesting.  I feel like they don't have a true Free Safety on the team, but depending on what they do with position groups, they might just not use one very often.

It's probably the most intriguing group to watch in camp to see what they're going to do.

Now, if Collins is not cleared and starts on PUP, that makes things a lot more clear.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think it's going to be FASCINATING to watch what they do with the safeties in camp.  Because you have Curl and Collins who play essentially the same position.  You still have Everette, who played well until he got hurt (which he does with some regularity) and Derrick Forrest who they just drafted, but looks to be more of a special teams guy to start with.

You also have the possibility of mixing coverages and having Fuller play a little free safety.

How they mix and match (and mash?) the secondary together is going to be interesting.  I feel like they don't have a true Free Safety on the team, but depending on what they do with position groups, they might just not use one very often.

It's probably the most intriguing group to watch in camp to see what they're going to do.

Now, if Collins is not cleared and starts on PUP, that makes things a lot more clear.  

Wouldn’t Bobby McCain be a good option at free safety?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vanguard said:

Wouldn’t Bobby McCain be a good option at free safety?

I forgot about McCain, and interestingly, he's listed as a CB on the Washington Football Team official Roster.  

He probably IS the starting FS.  But he actually played more at CB historically, if I remember correctly.

14 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I forgot about McCain, and interestingly, he's listed as a CB on the Washington Football Team official Roster.  

He probably IS the starting FS.  But he actually played more at CB historically, if I remember correctly.

He did as for CB.  they converted him to safety.  Galdi talked about this on his last podcast that McCain's best season as for PFF ratings was the season he played slot CB. 

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/20181227/miami-dolphins-is-bobby-mccain-better-off-at-slot-corner

Miami Dolphins: Is Bobby McCain better off at slot corner?

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He did as for CB.  they converted him to safety.  Galdi talked about this on his last podcast that McCain's best season as for PFF ratings was the season he played slot CB. 

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/20181227/miami-dolphins-is-bobby-mccain-better-off-at-slot-corner

Miami Dolphins: Is Bobby McCain better off at slot corner?

Right, so he has the world famous "position flex."  I think they're going to really do a lot of mixing and matching in the back-end, which I personally like.  

McCain probably sees the most amount of time at free safety, but I can see a world where he and Fuller swap in and out a bit to confuse QBs, so you don't know exactly what either one is doing on any given play.  How confusing that actually is, I don't know.  But it's probably worth a try.  The key to that, of course, is having 2 CBs who can play outside if Fuller moves inside at times...

• Like 1