Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

10 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Thinking more about that scheme explanation in the Athletic article gives me a better appreciation of why the football world seemed to be so high on the value of Jeremiah Owusu-Koromoah before draft day.  Daniel Jeremiah had him #15 on his final board, for example.  His heart condition is ultimately what made him drop, but if that doesn't limit him in his playing career, then the Browns might have gotten incredible value with him in the second.

He could end up being the best star or buffalo nickel in the NFL.  Probably between him and Isaiah Simmons and Derwin James as the most talented prospects to come out in the last five years to play that specific role.  And of the three, Owusu-Koromoah is the one who gives you the best box so you wouldn't have to rotate anyone else at the position while he is healthy.  He's your star for every match up, even against the most physical run games.

Kind of makes me think that if Curl hadn't had such a good rookie year, we would have doubled up in the draft and picked Owusu-Koromoah in the second instead of Cosmi.

Forgot about Jamal Adams.  He's probably the best star nickel in the NFL, but I assume he splits his time at safety.

Jamal Adams also spends a lot of time as a dedicated blitzer.  He's a double digit sack guy.  Had 9.5 in only 12 games.  Had 6.5 the year prior, but they really only started having him line up to rush the passer in the 2nd half of that season.

I wonder what his ratio is for alignment.  Between Nickel, Cover 2, Box SS, Pass Rusher, etc.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Jamal Adams also spends a lot of time as a dedicated blitzer.  He's a double digit sack guy.  Had 9.5 in only 12 games.  Had 6.5 the year prior, but they really only started having him line up to rush the passer in the 2nd half of that season.

I wonder what his ratio is for alignment.  Between Nickel, Cover 2, Box SS, Pass Rusher, etc.

Blitzing is a look you can do from the * position.  It's a natural extension of the role when you have them line up over the top of 2s, and it wouldn't be hard to disguise that pressure from that spot, just have to find a way to cover the gaps that rushing him creates.  My guess is he had most of his snaps at the * position given the volume of stats he piled up.  But I assumed he spent a lot of time in deep alignments and zones, which might not be true given how much pass rush production he had.

I never realized how much flat duty a "safety" could have if they're lining up in that * position.  Seems so different from the traditional coverage roles of the position.  So in those "MOD" coverages where the outside corner calls a smash and breaks off into a deep quarter zone and signals the * to cover the flat, then that star really has to haul ass to get there from his alignment, especially if it's a screen to a fast 1.  That is a tough job.  Kind of a sweet deal for the outside corners, who get to just cover grass if those 2s break inside instead of breaking outside deep.  And they have virtually no run-fitting duty in the scheme, since their entire job is either to run with 1s in man (granted they don't know if they're getting help) or peel off into quarters.

I think the scheme is interesting because it could let you use really fast corners who may be terrible tacklers and force defenders with no adverse effect.  But they absolutely need confidence in man.  So St Juste can get to play this year and not have to make hard reads.  Just focus on that 1 and don't get beat by him--which he will because good NFL 1s have big bags of tricks for getting open--but that's all he's going to have to really pay attention to.

But god damn, it's a really hard scheme for the * nickel.  And pretty much everyone else.  But the * has to make a ton of hard reads and they have to do a lot of work in the run game.  It makes defending the run harder on the linemen and linebackers too.  Your DLs have to make an impact spilling in order to give those second and third level defenders time to converge on the ball.  And your LBs better be fast as hell to make use of that time to make the stop.  Hence the effort to go out and get all of these LBs with 4.5 speed.

This is going to be the kind of defense where Payne and Allen will make all of the difference in the world with how good our run defense is, and none of it will be reflected in their personal stats.  Daron is going to have explode through those A&B gaps--frequently having to do so from a disguised alignment meaning he's working from gap to gap, which is brutal.  And how well he does this will result in no stats other than we frequently stop runs after 2 or 3 yards instead of 7 or 8.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I get a feeling that the coaches really want to take the chains off Payne and let him attack, but they need Settle to step up as the disrupter, which Payne is excellent at. I think that may have happened in the Tampa game, which freed Fournette up for bigger runs, but allowed Payne to attack.

• Like 2

I see a lot of people are high on Humphries and what he could bring to the table. Now i'm not so smart as most of you when it comes to Xs and Os,(or in general most likely) but I don't like the idea of keeping him over some of the younger guys like Cam Sims, AGG or Harmon. I know he's not old, but a couple years on those guys. Also, if things go like we all hope they do, Humphries would be at best the #4 WR. How much production does a #4 generally have. if our #4 is going to produce like a typical one does, then I'd rather see that from one of the younger guys that could potentially develop into something more. I feel like if we're seeing big production out of Humphries than either Brown or Samuel aren't having good years.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BALLz said:

I see a lot of people are high on Humphries and what he could bring to the table. Now i'm not so smart as most of you when it comes to Xs and Os,(or in general most likely) but I don't like the idea of keeping him over some of the younger guys like Cam Sims, AGG or Harmon. I know he's not old, but a couple years on those guys. Also, if things go like we all hope they do, Humphries would be at best the #4 WR. How much production does a #4 generally have. if our #4 is going to produce like a typical one does, then I'd rather see that from one of the younger guys that could potentially develop into something more. I feel like if we're seeing big production out of Humphries than either Brown or Samuel aren't having good years.

I do think you want a couple of receivers who are better suited for the slot than outside.

But to your main point, without being at practice, its hard to say.  I agree that if things are equal you want to keep the younger receiver (say one who is 23) over one who is 28.  But without being at practice its not possible to know how equal things are.  If Humphries is a better receiver you go with him older or not.

44 minutes ago, BALLz said:

If Humphries is better than them, they should keep him over them. If he was 35 years old I'd agree with you, but the dude is only 27.

Plus that will give us outstanding depth at the slot position with Samuel and Humphries as our primary/secondary slot receivers. Sims, AGG and Harmon aren't really slot kind of guys so much. They're more 2nd/3rd string X and Z guys.

Edited by mistertim

39 minutes ago, BALLz said:

I think he could win you over.  It's a problem to go too young and inexperienced with any part of your roster, but definitely for WR where there is a lot of complexity.  A lack of credible experience (and talent) at WR is one of the reasons our passing offense was arguably the worst in the NFL last season.  Between Humphries and a blossoming McLaurin/Samuel, we now have some experience in the group.  We can afford to carry three more young guys and let them ride the pine and earn their spurs on STs.

Humphries is a super sudden athlete and a professional route runner who is going to be one of our most reliable chain movers on third and medium and third and long.  There are a couple of big reasons why he is important--Tannehill is going to win our starting QB job and he and Humphries have pre-built timing and comfort.  And second, we need to be able to move Samuel around in order to make him the featured weapon of the offense without having to worry about players like Steven or Cam Sims playing in the slot and ****ing up our timing and spacing like they did last year.  Or relying on a rookie like Dax Milne for that role.  Or binding McLaurin to the slot every time we want to move Samuel into the backfield or outside.

AGG and Harmon need to earn their spots on the roster.  I think AGG can earn a spot, but I think Harmon is done.  I think he's too slow to play the position well now.  I'm guessing we'll keep six WRs and it'll be: Samuel, McLaurin, Humphries, Brown, AGG, Cam Sims with Milne ending up on the practice squad for this season and the other guys getting cut.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

some interesting stuff here from WP today

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/06/18/ron-rivera-washington-offseason-decisions/

Getting faster, period. If there was something that we were concerned about, it was that.

The next thing we talked about was at wide receiver and at defensive back. We also talked about shoring up the depth, the emphasis being on position flex, predominantly on the offensive line, and then saying, “If we’re going to try and build this roster and try and keep as many of our current guys that we can that we’ve drafted — they’ve played very big roles for us — how can we do that?”

If you can keep that defensive front as strong as possible, it’s going to help your secondary. What Buffalo did with their secondary and their middle linebacker, they got guys that can all run, so that was the thought on defensive speed. But then you look at Kansas City and look at all that speed they got everywhere, at all their positions on offense, you sit there and go, “Man, we want to be fast like that.”

Having conversations, they either added on to or reaffirmed what I’ve been thinking and that was we had to get faster — on the defensive side in the secondary, and the offensive side at our skill positions — and we had to make sure we have as much quality depth on the offense line.

We were looking for that speed receiver and Curtis [Samuel] was always on our mind. 

Signing both guys helped create the ripple effect for Adam Humphries, as far as being able to add another piece to what we think is going to be a very good offensive puzzle. With the vertical speed that we now have and then drafting Dyami [Brown] and getting Dax Milne, we think we added some pretty good receiving pieces. We got AGG [Antonio Gandy-Golden] who’s out there, we’ve got Cam Sims who’s out there. We got some really good pieces going forward.

1 - Get Faster

2 - Skill position improvement (WR and DB)

3 - Versatile depth on the OL

4 - Keeping the defensive line together $$

5 - Influenced by what successful teams do

6 - Getting a MLB that can run

7 - AGG and Milne have an inside track with maybe 7 receivers

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BALLz said:

Humphries will fill the role we need him to do which is playing in the slot being an outlet guy and getting some key first downs. On any given play TMac and Samuels will see extra attention so Adam should see single coverage most of the time. I thought Simms was our guy who could replace Crowder but he took steps back last year. Simms Gandy and Harmon are all suited for the outside including Dyami. 

If we carry 6 receivers one of those guys is not making the team. It will be interesting to see how camp separates the group. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Do we think the 2020 Football Team defense has that much talent? 

I'm going to suggest that the number of "great" players on a team is often a matter of hindsight. In other words, if the Team has continued success than greatness will be ascribed to many of the players. Lots of players will be elevated a grade or two higher than they would be on an average team.  Likewise, many "great" players are not recognized if they flounder on terrible teams.

I'm also going to suggest that having "great" players is not necessary for greatness. What I mean by this is simple. The Redskins between 1981-1991 had less than a handful of great players, at least according to the Hall of Fame voters, yet during that ten year stretch Washington's assemblage of good and very good made four Superbowls and won three of them. Think about this, according to those who judge "greatness" only one of the Hogs was actually great (Russ Grimm) yet it is considered one of the "greatest" offensive lines in NFL history. So, something is either really off in how we identify, recognize, or understand "greatness" or "greatness" is not an absolutely necessary ingredient.

Finally, if the WFT do what we hope they will do over the next ten years, then we will look back on Allen, Payne, Ion, Young, and Sweat as Steelers' fans do the Steel Curtain or 'skins fans do the Hogs or the Posse. If they do what we want them to do then Jackson will be thought of as we do elite cornerbacks. Who knows maybe Kurl becomes one of those unheralded draft gems that rises to perennial Probowl player. 

The key is success. If the team has success then we and the national media will discuss these players as "great" instead of good or very good.

That's my 2 cents anyway.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think he could win you over.  It's a problem to go too young and inexperienced with any part of your roster, but definitely for WR where there is a lot of complexity.  A lack of credible experience (and talent) at WR is one of the reasons our passing offense was arguably the worst in the NFL last season.  Between Humphries and a blossoming McLaurin/Samuel, we now have some experience in the group.  We can afford to carry three more young guys and let them ride the pine and earn their spurs on STs.

Humphries is a super sudden athlete and a professional route runner who is going to be one of our most reliable chain movers on third and medium and third and long.  There are a couple of big reasons why he is important--Tannehill is going to win our starting QB job and he and Humphries have pre-built timing and comfort.  And second, we need to be able to move Samuel around in order to make him the featured weapon of the offense without having to worry about players like Steven or Cam Sims playing in the slot and ****ing up our timing and spacing like they did last year.  Or relying on a rookie like Dax Milne for that role.  Or binding McLaurin to the slot every time we want to move Samuel into the backfield or outside.

AGG and Harmon need to earn their spots on the roster.  I think AGG can earn a spot, but I think Harmon is done.  I think he's too slow to play the position well now.  I'm guessing we'll keep six WRs and it'll be: Samuel, McLaurin, Humphries, Brown, AGG, Cam Sims with Milne ending up on the practice squad for this season and the other guys getting cut.

Wow Steve, this is a great post. And I see now how wrong I was in my post on the previous page. Here I was thinking that Humphries was kind of an afterthought near the end of free agency, but after reading what Rivera said about him, and then your post, that he will be the 'feature' in the slot and that we actively had to court him with the Fitz signing. 

Did I read breaking news in this post? Now that we have Humphries, that we might be able to coax Tannehill here next year? Or am I reading that reference incorrectly?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree with @Burgold

If the key players stay healthy and reach or exceed projections, it will be evident in hindsight. 

If Sweat and Young combine for 30+ sacks and the DTs for 20+, with Jackson getting national exposure as a top tier corner, the DBs get picks and Davis winning the DROY.

There is a lot there to suggest they will be dominant, rewarded with accolades, supported by statistics and the line of when they became great will be fuzzy in the future. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

If Sweat and Young combine for 30+ sacks and the DTs for 20+, with Jackson getting national exposure as a top tier corner, the DBs get picks and Davis winning the DROY.

jean yves drool GIF by Charlie Mars

This would be the dream

Edited by XxSpearheadxX
  • Like 1
  • Haha 10

57 minutes ago, mudhog said:

Wow Steve, this is a great post. And I see now how wrong I was in my post on the previous page. Here I was thinking that Humphries was kind of an afterthought near the end of free agency, but after reading what Rivera said about him, and then your post, that he will be the 'feature' in the slot and that we actively had to court him with the Fitz signing. 

Did I read breaking news in this post? Now that we have Humphries, that we might be able to coax Tannehill here next year? Or am I reading that reference incorrectly?

Good Lord, my insomnia is rearing it's head.  I had Tannehill on my mind from Humphries's time in TN but meant Fitzpatrick.  The consensus about Fitzpatrick is that he likes to throw to spots where he thinks windows will materialize before they do, do so a receiver who is already on the same page with him like Humphries is going to have a big head start in this locker room.

I think the offense is going to swing super pass-happy this year, and that our receivers are going to be putting up crazy yardage totals.  I can honestly see the offense breaking 5000 yards passing, especially with the 17th game.  I can see Humphries giving us 800, another 900-1000 from Samuel, 1100 from McLaurin, and then a bunch of supplemental yardage coming from Gibson/McKissick, Thomas, Brown, etc.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think Humphries is going to play a pretty major role in the first half of the season. 

Humphries is phenomenal insurance in case Samuel misses an time (slot option). Won’t be a drop off. And he already has established great rapport with Fitz.

And Brown would take a more prime time role outside.

It’s a great luxury.

• Like 4

Sam Cosmi is John Riggins reincarnated in today's passing game.  Goal-to-go from the 5 or less, if he's got off-ball movement, he's got hands, speed, and agility, which at 6-6/3-something means that Fitz basically asks him where he'd like it thrown; no one else is going to be also able to get to the ball.  You know he's coming and you can't stop him. 

• Thanks 1