Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

Jelani Woods. I'll add him to the pile of 4th round type of TEs that I like. Talk about a tall target -- the dude's a giant.  And a freakish athlete.  And he had good production, too -- he's not just a pure projection kind of guy considering he had 600 yards, 8 TDs.   He got some hype and attention in the broadcasts I watched. 

Pros

Versatile -- plays Y and F

Catch radius obviously is tremendous

Physical contested catch kind of player

Good run blocker and a willing one -- albeit not consistently as physical as you'd expect

Good hands

Good at a few things (thought not per se great which I hit up in the cons)

Cons

He has that gawky uncoordinated tall dude way of moving in open space

Relies at times more on his physicality to make contested catches versus seperating

While he's fast for his size, he's not always quick in short spaces

A bit of a body catcher

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 8

38 minutes ago, Daniel.redskins said:

I'm not buying the WR thing.  Rivera is NOT going into the year without a MLB.  Unless he thinks we can get Muma in the second.  I still think it's Lloyd in the first.  No one thought we were going Jamin last year.  

They actually did a contest on this board the day of the draft to predict who we would take.  I picked Jamin Davis.  So i am not sure about the no one stuff. ;)

Plenty of talk here that they'd take a LB last year.  We covered Jamin a lot here.  Personally, I preferred JOK.  Sounds like they also liked JOK among the mix of players (judging by some reports) but health issues helped his slide.  The reason why I thought Jamin might be a possibility was they needed a LB and his profile (military family and the type of dude he is) fit what seemed to be the Rivera model to a tee.  

As for Lloyd.  Yeah that's what most of us think.  Certainly i do.    i am not ruling out WR though especially if they trade down.   I wouldn't be shocked if its one of the CBs. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I figured they would already be gone.  But I'm in a bit of a minority in that I don't think Gardner is a tier 1 player in this class.  I've been following him since his Freshman year, it's not that I don't like him.  I just think he's being a little overvalued this year, and I actually think Stingley is a little more talented than him.  When I watch Gardner, it's hard for me not to notice that #7 on his own team is better than him and actually pops more.

I'm thinking something like this for my tiers in the top 25, but I haven't watched Booth Jr or the DT from Connecticut yet:

Tier 1:

1 - Hutchinson

2 - Thibodeaux

3 - Davis

4 - Lloyd

5 - Hamilton

6 - Linderbaum

Tier 2:

7 - Eckwonu

8 - Stingley

9 - Gardner

10 - Neal

11 - Willis

Tier 3:

12 - Dean

13 - Wilson

14 - London

15 - Jermaine Johnson

16 - Cross

17 - Pickett

18 - Kenneth Walker

19 - Burks

Tier 4:

20 - Wyatt

21 - Green

22 - Olave

23 - Corral

24 - Travon Walker

25 - Zion Johnson

That's what I figured but wanted to confirm, thanks.

I have been a big Stingley fan since I first saw him in his freshman year. He was a standout on a loaded more seasoned roster

His injuries and the resulting lack of play time over the past 2 years has me putting Sauce over him by a hair. 

I doubt RR will take a corner in the first round even if these guys are there at 11. I imagine he really wants Hamilton or Lloyd but will be praying for a small trade back

47 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Wonder what it would take to move back into Olave range from 47?

A second next year like the Sweat trade to move to later in the 1st might do it.

I think he’s a trade down target with a team like the Steelers at 20, but I don’t think we get him if he gets to the Saints or GB.

I think I’m cool if we decide to go heavy on offense this year and tell the defense to do the best they can with what they have. I’m sure that’s probably not a popular opinion, but that’s where I’m at.

I like Lloyd as much as the next guy, but 4.7? Good lord. Did he run faster at his pro day? 

Can’t help but think about Ryan Anderson’s slow times and how people said he played fast. I know 40 speed isn’t everything, but I could probably run that fast if properly motivated. 😆

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I think I’m cool if we decide to go heavy on offense this year and tell the defense to do the best they can with what they have. I’m sure that’s probably not a popular opinion, but that’s where I’m at.

I think what frustrates me more than anything about this team is we have a defensive minded head coach. Not a bright offensive coordinator/play caller turned HC. But he can’t seem to fix the defense. He’s also the GM, so he shops for the ingredients and cooks the meal so to speak, and it’s sucked. Why is that? Scheme? Players?

Either way, if Rivera can’t make this a respectable unit in 3 years, which many other teams have done, he needs to be gone.

I get that the bar is low here for coaches and he’s a good culture setter, etc. but there just is no excuse for not getting at least above average performance out of the defense going into a third year. It’s absurd.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I don't think we will.  It's a shaky QB class and I think Rivera is sold on Wentz as the long term QB for his regime.

I kind of agree.  We will surely sign an UDFA for the practice squad, but I suspect we will only carry 2 QBs on the active roster this season.

• Like 1

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/story/2022-03-07/2022-nfl-combine-san-diego-state-aztecs-sdsu-daniel-bellinger-cameron-thomas-zach-matt-araiza-william-dunkle-greg-bell

Daniel Bellinger’s mission in the four months leading up to the 2022 NFL Draft is convincing teams that he’s a complete tight end — that he can block in the running game and catch in the passing game.

That was the impression the former San Diego State tight end wanted to leave in last month’s Senior Bowl and last week’s NFL combine.

“I think I’ve been under the radar a little bit,” Bellinger said following a week in Indianapolis at the combine, where he opened a few eyes with his performance.“Everybody just saw me as a blocking tight end.

Bellinger rated at or near the top in measurables, ranking fourth in the 40-yard dash (4.63 seconds), tied for first in the bench press (22 reps at 225 pounds), tied for third in the vertical jump (34 1/2 inches), first in the broad jump (10 feet, 5 inches), tied for fourth in the 3-cone drill (7.5 seconds) and seventh in the 20-yard shuttle (4.47 seconds).

“Some teams were not sure about if I could run and about my routes and ability to catch and things like that,” Bellinger said. “I was able to show that at the workout.”

The consensus coming into the Combine was for Bellinger to be a late Day 3 — sixth round — selection in the draft.

Bellinger’s combine effort has some observers regarding him now as an early Day 3 selection — fourth or fifth round? — of the seven-round draft. 

9 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Wonder what it would take to move back into Olave range from 47?

Not having that 2nd rounder from 2023 to trade, as it’s a provisional in the Wentz deal, more than likely prevents a move back up from #47. Unless we get clever and trade back from #11 first then move back up or something.

Feels like it’s inevitable to me like we have to move back from #11 anyway. I don’t see how we achieve what we  may want to with 1,2,4

Feels like WR is heavily on the cards. Not sure how we move out of #11 and get the player we want. I think Philly ‘risk’ one of their firsts on Williams and give him time to rehab. GB definitely go receiver at #22 to keep AR happy. 

I do also think we would like to take a QB day 2, I reckon they would like Strong as the medium term back up to Wentz. And you never know, Hamilton may drop to #11. And I really like Penning but we don’t necessarily ‘need’ a tackle. 

Anyway, all that aside, after the first round where I now assume we go WR, I really like this selection of players below day 2 and into round 4 range.

After then, day 3 I’m taking Damarri Mathis for slot CB, Daniel Bellinger TE and if I haven’t taken a QB already I’ll take one with my last pick to secure his rights before hitting UDFA.

Rounds 2-4 range  :

Troy Andersen, Montana State: After his workout, Andersen has a case as the most explosive linebacker prospect in this class. It's not as if he rose from complete obscurity, there was some pre-combine buzz for him, but you never know how the lower-level prospects are going to test. Andersen made a big statement Saturday night.

Leo Chenal, Wisconsin: At 6-2 and 250 pounds, Chenal running 4.53 was awesome. He looks thick on film and not necessarily that fast. But that number will stick to his draft profile. He's a thumping downhill type who we now know has some speed in his arsenal. Those jumps were tremendous too, and frankly, a bit shocking. Good for him.

Nick Cross
Maryland · S

This former Terrapin took advantage of his opportunity at the combine after declaring for the draft as an underclassman. His 4.34 40-yard time (1st among safeties), 37-inch vertical (4th) and 10-foot-10 broad jump (3rd) all belied his thick 6-foot-1, 212-pound frame. It was tough not to notice his combination of strength and agility throughout the on-field drills. Cross was fluid and fast in his pedal and transition in the "W" drill, and caught nearly everything. There's a tough competition brewing to be among the top four safeties in this year's draft, and Cross made a strong case he's deserving of that honor.

Edited by Est.1974

It concerns me that we're looking heavily at TMac type WRs. I'd be great with two, but until Terry gets extended, seems like we might be looking to replace him. Olave might be the only WR I feel safe about in the first, because of his similarly and work ethic. I think he's safe. 

13 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Feels like WR is heavily on the cards. Not sure how we move out of #11 and get the player we want. I think Philly ‘risk’ one of their firsts on Williams and give him time to rehab. GB definitely go receiver at #22 to keep AR happy. 

I do also think we would like to take a QB day 2, I reckon they would like Strong as the medium term back up to Wentz. And you never know, Hamilton may drop to #11. And I really like Penning but we don’t necessarily ‘need’ a tackle. 

Anyway, all that aside, after the first round where I now assume we go WR, I really like this selection of players below day 2 and into round 4 range.

After then, day 3 I’m taking Damarri Mathis for slot CB, Daniel Bellinger TE and if I haven’t taken a QB already I’ll take one with my last pick to secure his rights before hitting UDFA.

Rounds 2-4 range  :

Troy Andersen, Montana State: After his workout, Andersen has a case as the most explosive linebacker prospect in this class. It's not as if he rose from complete obscurity, there was some pre-combine buzz for him, but you never know how the lower-level prospects are going to test. Andersen made a big statement Saturday night.

Leo Chenal, Wisconsin: At 6-2 and 250 pounds, Chenal running 4.53 was awesome. He looks thick on film and not necessarily that fast. But that number will stick to his draft profile. He's a thumping downhill type who we now know has some speed in his arsenal. Those jumps were tremendous too, and frankly, a bit shocking. Good for him.

Nick Cross
Maryland · S

This former Terrapin took advantage of his opportunity at the combine after declaring for the draft as an underclassman. His 4.34 40-yard time (1st among safeties), 37-inch vertical (4th) and 10-foot-10 broad jump (3rd) all belied his thick 6-foot-1, 212-pound frame. It was tough not to notice his combination of strength and agility throughout the on-field drills. Cross was fluid and fast in his pedal and transition in the "W" drill, and caught nearly everything. There's a tough competition brewing to be among the top four safeties in this year's draft, and Cross made a strong case he's deserving of that honor.

I've been talking about Cross in the 4rth for a while now. I'd be really happy about it.

I know sip is high on Chenal, but he strikes me too much of an old school Mike. Mayo fills that really well and not the big striker we need in the middle.

Anderson definitely intrigues me. He's got the athleticism and I think coverage skill. I'd like to see more of him.

Lloyd and Muma are the two I'm highest on. Great in coverage, green dots, captains.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I've been talking about Cross in the 4rth for a while now. I'd be really happy about it.

I know sip is high on Chenal, but he strikes me too much of an old school Mike. Mayo fills that really well and not the big striker we need in the middle.

Anderson definitely intrigues me. He's got the athleticism and I think coverage skill. I'd like to see more of him.

Lloyd and Muma are the two I'm highest on. Great in coverage, green dots, captains.

Yeah plenty of really good options. It’s how you address those with only having picks #11 #47 and #113 before the 6th round.

• Like 1

1. What is Jameson Williams return looking like? He’s probably the best WR in the class. I’ve seen him gone before 11 in several mocks. I know we want instant impact, but him and Olave are two guys I’d be thrilled with at 11 or in a slight trade down. Jameson has to be a Chiefs target given what he can bring that they lost in Hill. If Williams isn’t back until mid season, he’d still be a great long term pick 

2. Wydermeyer has some maturity issues and bomb the athletic events this off season. Matt Miller said he’s in late round flier territory right now. Go back to pre college season mocks from last summer and Wydermeyer is a 1st rounder in almost every mock. Huge upside. But the workout and athletic profile is bad. I’m not sure we’d take him. I like Woods and Kolar in that round 4-6 range. Maybe Wydermeyer too at this rate if he falls. Kolar was also a 1st/2nd round guy last summer. Not sure why he’s fallen. 

3. I love Christian Watkins and John Metchie as WRs for us at pick 47 or another 2nd rounder later if we trade down. Metchie has been buried a bit because of his injury but he suffered it well before Jameson did and should be ready for camp. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I am not really married to Chenal.  I am intrigued by some other 2nd-3rd round LB types, too.  But he's certainly on the table for me. Chenal I think is oddly going below the radar some as Kiper-McShay talked about in his last podcast.

I am the one I believe who started the talk about the concerns about coverage so its on my radar.  But it was more from the framework of its mystery to me because they didn't really use him much in coverage in the games I watched and when they did while he seemed to follow his assignments well he looked a bit stiff as to how he backpeddled.

I said at the time I am really curious about his combine because for a dude that size it looked like he could move, wondered about his agility.  And wow, what a combine.  though too bad he didn't do the 3 cone. I haven't watched Muma yet, i've seen some scouts in some stuff I read question his coverage ability by the way but I'll make up my own mind about that.

Back to Chenal, I do value pass rush as a weapon for linebackers and clearly it does pertain to the passing game, this dude of all the LBs I've watched so far is the most fun pass rusher among the LBs because he just blows up O lineman up the A gap at times.  He comes off the edge sometimes too.  But the physicality of how he deals with O lineman both in the run game and as a passh rusher is fun especially in contrast to our LBs.  Tone setter on that front.

Chenal has the best PFF pass rushing grade among the LBs.  Dean is #2. 

He made Feldman's athletic freak list.  So yeah old school in the context of he's a big size LB who majors in run stopping.  But new school in that he's not one of these slow plodder but physical types, he's an athletic freak with more speed than guys we love like Lloyd and probably Dean, too.  As for coverage, i don't know.  He certainly has the athleticism for it.  I'll trust teams to figure that out, I don't know.

But for a dude that is 250 pounds plus with an almost perfect RAS.  And supposedly he is not just fast and explosive but might be one of the strongest players in the league.   And I'd add the 8 sacks and 92 PFF pass rush grade -- I don't blame Kiper-McShay referencing Chenal as a LB they'd consider in the 2nd from our standpoint.  But I definitely like Lloyd and Dean better and by a clear peg. 

Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 7.01.02 AM.png

• Like 1