Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

19 minutes ago, sebestian said:

I was watching NFL Mock Draft live.  Firstly, I like Daniel Jeremiah.  I think he said something to this degree.  Hamilton should be drafted in the top 5, but he is going to fall because the league for some reason does not value him or something to that degree.  I think he is spot on with his assessment.  Teams that pick before the Commanders, I can see them all passing just based on a combination of needs and players that make more sense for those teams.  

Lord have mercy they just showed day 2 sleepers and low and behold my other guy C. Watson is right there.  We would only be able to grab Watson if we trade up in the second which I can not see happening.  Overall I will still be very happy with Hamilton at 11, and BPA at #47.  It sucks not having our 3 rd. pick this year...such a deep draft.

Hammer Time

If Hamilton is there I think you have to take him. I’ve gotten to a point I’d actually prefer taking a wr in the 2nd vs the 1st. Though my preference at WR is different than yours. I wouldn’t mind Watson especially with his measurables but I think my favorite WR in the draft is George Pickens so I would love to have a chance at Pickens at 47. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, TheShredder said:

If they want to compete for a Championship then they've got to have an explosive offense to go with a stout D. Wilson could be better than Terry McLaurin. You want to improve your defense and utilize the dual pass rushers you've invested in? Let them play with a lead! 

How are teams going to cover Mclaurin, Samuels, Wilson, and Logan Thomas!? That's a F'n Nightmare!

Two deep shell?

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah if Hamilton is there at 11 you sprint to the podium and don't even think twice about it unless some team offers you a mother lode including future 1s to move up. 

Imagine a Hamilton/Curl Safety Duo for the next 5+ years.

Hamilton 1rst

Muma 2nd

I'm in to that.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Hamilton 1rst

Muma 2nd

I'm in to that.

I wouldn’t be against it either but I can’t see them going defense 1st 2 picks. If I had to guess if we go d in round 1 we go o round two and Vice versa. Keep in mind while they don’t necessarily want him as the “mlb” Holcomb played adequately and improved as season went on. If we got Hamilton in 1st likely curl moves to that Buffalo nickel role Hamilton and McCain are your two safeties and we either pick up FA lber or let Holcomb man the middle. 

Got to think the draft chatter is influencing our lack of FA movement. We need a LB, also someone to fill that Buffalo role, and most would say another safety and/CB.

I do wonder if #11 is looking like a viable spot for either Hamilton or one of the 2 top Corners now, meaning we have stood back from recruiting in FA.

DB/LB/WR and a back up QB through the first 3 rounds would be great. 

Not currently possible with a 1,2 and 4.........

I’m really into Damarri Mathis as an early day 3 slot corner pick. I also like the idea of taking a flyer on Calvin Austin III, the guy is small...but electric...Late day 3 go for IOL/DT depth.

sorry about the formatting...

his teammates admitted that Penning was the biggest reason for scouts from every pro team showing up to the UNI-Dome on Monday. Penning is widely projected to be a first round pick in next months NFL Draft and the massive turnout Monday shows 

every NFL team had at least one scout at UNI’s Pro Day, several had more than one, including the Tennessee Titans who had three. Except one of them wasn’t a scout. It was General Manager Jon Robinson. Robinson had his eyes focused on Penning throughout the day and one of his scouts ran an O-line specific drill with Penning, Antoine Frazier and tight end Kyle Fourtenbary

In addition to Robinson, Washington Commanders GM Martin Mayhew was in attendance with an eye on Penning. He was the lone representative from Washington.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I think both are teens value in this class, but neither of them are likely to BPA at 11 since I do think Linderbaum/Lloyd/Davis are all better than them and are likely to be there at 11.

Are you off the Sauce at 11? And what about Hamilton as BPA or are you considering them already gone?

9 hours ago, Going Commando said:

My gut is Lloyd in that scenario.  He just feels like the safest bet for us because of his size and the fact that our DL is a little undersized.  Plus he's healthy.

I have been higher on Lloyd than Dean and could see RR and JDR salivating for him.

I do like Muma and Harris in the 2nd

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Lloyd, London, and Hamilton are all available at 11, who are you taking?

London!!

In today’s NFL if you want to be a contender you have to have an offense that can dominate and outscore other dominant offenses. 

The days of winning championships with great defenses and mediocre offenses, like the ‘85 Bears did with Jim McMahon and the 2000 Ravens did with Trent Dilfer, are a relic from a distant era.

An offense with a top tier qb, complimented with a bevy of receivers and a decent o-line, going full throttle simply can not be reliably stopped by ANY defense.

In the 21st century offense is for show AND offense is also for dough.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

London!!

In today’s NFL if you want to be a contender you have to have an offense that can dominate and outscore other dominant offenses. 

The days of winning championships with great defenses and mediocre offenses, like the ‘85 Bears did with Jim McMahon and the 2000 Ravens did with Trent Dilfer, are a relic from a distant era.

An offense with a top tier qb, complimented with a bevy of receivers and a decent o-line, going full throttle simply can not be reliably stopped by ANY defense.

In the 21st century offense is for show AND offense is also for dough.

Most playoff games were won this year by defense and special teams. Which is very common. 

Offense gets you to the playoffs, but it takes an entire team to get you through that.

Not saying that I disagree with needing another weapon or two on offense, but we do have a lot of pieces already without any glaring holes.

• Like 2

With Pickens, you got to trust things work out since as a personality he's a wildcard.  Academic issues in high school.  ACL.  And I gather has some anger issues.

https://www.si.com/college/tennessee/football/should-pickens-be-suspended-under-covid-protocols

Tennessee quarterback Jarrett Guarantano scrambled away from pressure and was tackled on the Georgia sideline. As Guarantano was getting up, Pickens walked over from the bench and sprayed Guarantano in the face with his water bottle. The official on the sideline saw it and flagged Pickens for a boneheaded unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, the Vols advanced an additional fifteen yards, and that was the end of it on the field. In any other season, that would have simply been a stupid penalty Pickens would be chewed out for on Monday, but this is 2020. Teams are trying to play football in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, following protocols, daily testing, and isolating, all in hopes of minimizing transmission of the virus and having a full season. What Pickens did could have potentially put another player at risk of the virus for no reason. 

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/georgia-football/after-being-suspended-for-first-half-georgias-george-pickens-ejected-for-fighting/

Georgia WR George Pickens was suspended for the first half of the game for unknown reasons, but now he’s in danger of missing the SEC Championship Game next weekend, too.

https://fanbuzz.com/college-football/sec/georgia/george-pickens-fight-ejection/

After that final regular season game, Smart called Pickens’ decision “selfish” and “undisciplined.”

https://www.risendraft.com/wide-receiver/george-pickens-final-report

WEAKNESSES:

Pickens lacks urgency when he's not the 1st or 2nd option in the play. Despite looking the part, he doesn't show the desire to block for his teammates. His lack of focus allows defenders to direct their attention elsewhere. His competitive fire suggests this can be coached out of him. Has some level of maturity concerns with prior on-field altercations. Tore his ACL before his JR year. If you're comfortable with the knee + football character, he's absolutely worth an early day-two selection.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

In addition to Robinson, Washington Commanders GM Martin Mayhew was in attendance with an eye on Penning. He was the lone representative from Washington.

That's interesting. Penning must be in play for us at #11 I'd imagine unless this is a smokescreen type of move, which is likely doubtful. I think that's too rich for me but we'll see. I think I'd go Cross though if he fell to us.

16 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I stay away from Pickens unless he drops to like round 4. Grade A Tool.

I did not know he was such a problem until stevemcqueen posted something about it a while back. The dude can play the position though. 

12 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

That's interesting. Penning must be in play for us at #11 I'd imagine unless this is a smokescreen type of move, which is likely doubtful. I think that's too rich for me but we'll see. I think I'd go Cross though if he fell to us.

It made we watch some highlights of him, damn he’s nasty. Technically they say he needs work, but I was pretty impressed. Left hand side of the OL is veteran led with Leno and Norwell. I could think of worse moves than a guy like Penning, maybe if we moved back marginally to say mid teens. Could be go RG next to Cosmi as a rookie.

He looked good to my uneducated eye.

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Most playoff games were won this year by defense and special teams. Which is very common. 

Offense gets you to the playoffs, but it takes an entire team to get you through that.

Not saying that I disagree with needing another weapon or two on offense, but we do have a lot of pieces already without any glaring holes.

You got me @Koolblue13. 😃

I’m being a bit over the top to illustrate a point of view that is is intentionally on the far end of the bell curve more as an intellectual exercise in “what if we take this to the extreme” just to see what the limits of imagination would produce and how successful such an over the top strategy might be.

I don’t expect anyone to agree with me but I am elated that at least one person thought enough about what I said to respond to it. 

With that in mind I’ll continue to elaborate from the extreme side for a bit just to see where it takes us.

——

First off I’m old school, emphasis on old, and I was brought up to believe that “defense wins championships”. I believed that for a long time but the times they are ’a changing and while I intrinsically want to have a balanced team with great offense and great defense that just isn’t likely given the salary cap and the skyrocketing cost of acquiring top tier talent through free agency but even more importantly—

I postulate that balance between offense and defense  isn’t necessary or strategically efficient in constructing a team anymore. Furthermore, I contend that the primary focus of any team architect should be on creating the strongest offense possible and only then filling in the gaps on defense with whatever resources are remaining.

I propose that spending a majority of the cap on a strong defense, as we are poised to do with our dline nearing the end of their rookie contracts, is largely a relic of old school thinking and a waste of limited salary cap space if our goal is to a regularly be in contention to win championships.

Here’s why I think focusing on great defense is a misallocation of resources—

The NFL rules have nearly legislated out of the league the back end intimidation type hits by the secondary and lbs in coverage that I grew up watching (which is a good thing) and there are far more mobile qbs today that can extend plays beyond any reasonable expectation that defenders can maintain coverage. Thus, back seven pass defenders are at considerable disadvantage vs the receivers they are expected to cover.

The next best remaining equalizer for a modern defense is the pass rush but unless you have an Aaron Donald all world type of player (and they don’t grow on trees even when you think you found one with the second pick in the draft twi years later you may still have doubts -wink-).

However even with great pass rusher(s) the pass rush can be effectively neutralized by great oline play, qbs that get the ball out of their hands quickly and/or qbs with exceptional mobility that can avoid sacks and extend plays AND by the most overlooked decision good qbs make , simply throwing away the ball and going on to the next play, rather than taking a sack and possibly risking a turnover.

This means that there are times when great offenses can seem unstoppable. 

If I could only have either a great offense led by a top tier qb or a great defense led by a pass rushing beast but not both due to the already mentioned salary cap limitations and high cost of free agency I would choose to go with offense.

I wouldn’t have said or even imagined that several years ago.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1

Charlie Kolar, TE.  4th round?  I saw his RAS scores were off the charts plus love his size 6 '6, just under 260 pounds.  I really like him in that range of the draft, I can even see him go in the third.  He reminds me some of TJ Hockenson -- not as good, but not a mile off of him either.  Really well rounded TE. 

Pros

Verstaile.  They use him in line.  In the slot.  Line him out wide.

Good hands

Good run blocker, violent hands, not perfect though he needs to get lower on his targets and sometimes loses his grip because of that

He has that quality that I mentioned for Drake London which is he's paying attention to what's going on with the QB and readjusts to help

Good with YAC

Gets open has a knack to find the seam

Cons

A bit of a body catcher at times

Even though his RAS aglity numbers are really good, there is some stifness in his movement

In tight spaces his seperation skills are OK but often relies on just being more physical than the defender

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

44 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

With Pickens, you got to trust things work out since as a personality he's a wildcard.  Academic issues in high school.  ACL.  And I gather has some anger issues.

https://www.si.com/college/tennessee/football/should-pickens-be-suspended-under-covid-protocols

Tennessee quarterback Jarrett Guarantano scrambled away from pressure and was tackled on the Georgia sideline. As Guarantano was getting up, Pickens walked over from the bench and sprayed Guarantano in the face with his water bottle. The official on the sideline saw it and flagged Pickens for a boneheaded unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, the Vols advanced an additional fifteen yards, and that was the end of it on the field. In any other season, that would have simply been a stupid penalty Pickens would be chewed out for on Monday, but this is 2020. Teams are trying to play football in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, following protocols, daily testing, and isolating, all in hopes of minimizing transmission of the virus and having a full season. What Pickens did could have potentially put another player at risk of the virus for no reason. 

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/georgia-football/after-being-suspended-for-first-half-georgias-george-pickens-ejected-for-fighting/

Georgia WR George Pickens was suspended for the first half of the game for unknown reasons, but now he’s in danger of missing the SEC Championship Game next weekend, too.

https://fanbuzz.com/college-football/sec/georgia/george-pickens-fight-ejection/

After that final regular season game, Smart called Pickens’ decision “selfish” and “undisciplined.”

https://www.risendraft.com/wide-receiver/george-pickens-final-report

WEAKNESSES:

Pickens lacks urgency when he's not the 1st or 2nd option in the play. Despite looking the part, he doesn't show the desire to block for his teammates. His lack of focus allows defenders to direct their attention elsewhere. His competitive fire suggests this can be coached out of him. Has some level of maturity concerns with prior on-field altercations. Tore his ACL before his JR year. If you're comfortable with the knee + football character, he's absolutely worth an early day-two selection.

Believe it or not I actually believe we have the locker room that can handle some of his maturity issues. The comment about the blocking is odd to me. Granted I haven't studied full on film of him like a draft analyst would. But from what I have watched some of his highlights specifically point to his blocking and shows that he seems to enjoy those moments of being able to bully corners in the run game. So maybe its just getting him to do it consistently? He seems to be kinda a bully at times and plays with a competitive fire which is part of why hes my favorite is specifically because of that competitiveness. We dont have enough of those types of guys that just play with a nastiness on this team

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Charlie Kolar, TE.  4th round?  I saw his RAS scores were off the charts plus love his size 6 '6, just under 260 pounds.  

I did wonder about him too when I was looking at the prospects at that pro day.

Bottom line to me seems that we don’t have enough picks through the first 5 rounds.

Only having a 1,2,4 isn’t enough.

44 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

I postulate that balance between offense and defense  isn’t necessary or strategically efficient in constructing a team anymore. Furthermore, I contend that the primary focus of any team architect should be on creating the strongest offense possible and only then filling in the gaps on defense with whatever resources are remaining.

Agree with you 100%.  In the current league, you need to have one of the top offenses.  High powered offenses not only get you into the playoffs but they are putting you in position to win in the playoffs and the Super Bowl. 

On few occasions, you will see a defense/ST plays that makes a difference in the game but i think the days of having a strong defense/ST to position your team to win with offense having to make one or two key plays are long over.

12 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Lloyd, London, and Hamilton are all available at 11, who are you taking?

Man I don't know.  Lloyd or Hamilton over London for sure, but I don't know between Lloyd and Hamilton.  In terms of need and locker room/scheme fit and potential impact, I like Lloyd better.  But I would not want to have to pass on Hamilton.  Clocked at 21 MPH, 40 inch vert, 11 foot broad jump, 6'4 and 220 and smartest guy in the draft.  He's a unicorn, but safeties have the least early first round value of any position.  They are almost never worth it for teams that pick them before the teens, and I would speculate that the position produces less AV than any other group in the game.

I'm actually kind of hoping that Hamilton goes top ten so we don't have to be the team that passes on him, but I bet Lloyd would have a better career here than Hamilton.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

You got me @Koolblue13. 😃

I’m being a bit over the top to illustrate a point of view that is is intentionally on the far end of the bell curve more as an intellectual exercise in “what if we take this to the extreme” just to see what the limits of imagination would produce and how successful such an over the top strategy might be.

I don’t expect anyone to agree with me but I am elated that at least one person thought enough about what I said to respond to it. 

With that in mind I’ll continue to elaborate from the extreme side for a bit just to see where it takes us.

——

First off I’m old school, emphasis on old, and I was brought up to believe that “defense wins championships”. I believed that for a long time but the times they are ’a changing and while I intrinsically want to have a balanced team with great offense and great defense that just isn’t likely given the salary cap and the skyrocketing cost of acquiring top tier talent through free agency but even more importantly—

I propose that spending a majority of the cap on a strong defense, as we are poised to do with our dline nearing the end of their rookie contracts, is largely a relic of old school thinking and a waste of limited salary cap space if our goal is to a regularly be in contention to win championships.

Here’s why I think focusing on great defense is a misallocation of resources—

The NFL rules have nearly legislated out of the league the back end intimidation type hits by the secondary and lbs in coverage that I grew up watching (which is a good thing) and there are far more mobile qbs today that can extend plays beyond any reasonable expectation that defenders can maintain coverage. Thus, back seven pass defenders are at considerable disadvantage vs the receivers they are expected to cover.

The next best remaining equalizer for a modern defense is the pass rush but unless you have an Aaron Donald all world type of player (and they don’t grow on trees even when you think you found one with the second pick in the draft twi years later you may still have doubts -wink-).

However even with great pass rusher(s) the pass rush can be effectively neutralized by great oline play, qbs that get the ball out of their hands quickly and/or qbs with exceptional mobility that can avoid sacks and extend plays AND by the most overlooked decision good qbs make , simply throwing away the ball and going on to the next play, rather than taking a sack and possibly risking a turnover.

This means that there are times when great offenses can seem unstoppable. 

If I could only have either a great offense led by a top tier qb or a great defense led by a pass rushing beast but not both due to the already mentioned salary cap limitations and high cost of free agency I would choose to go with offense.

I wouldn’t have said or even imagined that several years ago.

I get how important it is and I'm old school too. I'm not much of a fan of the forward pass and I'd be happy if they did away with it, instead of putting QBs and WRs on bubble wrapped pedestals.

But late in the year, when you're down to the top teams, it takes a full team to win it all. Sure, Rams added OBJ and Stafford, but they also added Von Biller to a group with Donald and Ramsey to put the defense over the top and they were able to get to the QB and take Chase out of it. 

I think your offense needs to be first and top priority, because you aren't getting to the dance without it, but if I learned anything from growing up with John Hughes movies, it's that once you get to the dance, it's the complete package that gets to pop the prom queen. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I get how important it is and I'm old school too. I'm not much of a fan of the forward pass and I'd be happy if they did away with it, instead of putting QBs and WRs on bubble wrapped pedestals.

But late in the year, when you're down to the top teams, it takes a full team to win it all. Sure, Rams added OBJ and Stafford, but they also added Von Biller to a group with Donald and Ramsey to put the defense over the top and they were able to get to the QB and take Chase out of it. 

I think your offense needs to be first and top priority, because you aren't getting to the dance without it, but if I learned anything from growing up with John Hughes movies, it's that once you get to the dance, it's the complete package that gets to pop the prom queen. 

Two very important things:

1. "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" Is the rare now classic movie that works magnificently well on all levels; from those simply looking for pure humorous entertainment to those who relish the deeper soulful messages within, it never fails to satisfy.

2. If you grew up on John Hughes, to me at least, you are a still a young puppy with many playful years yet to experience. 😋

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, DWinzit said:

Are you off the Sauce at 11? And what about Hamilton as BPA or are you considering them already gone?

I figured they would already be gone.  But I'm in a bit of a minority in that I don't think Gardner is a tier 1 player in this class.  I've been following him since his Freshman year, it's not that I don't like him.  I just think he's being a little overvalued this year, and I actually think Stingley is a little more talented than him.  When I watch Gardner, it's hard for me not to notice that #7 on his own team is better than him and actually pops more.

I'm thinking something like this for my tiers in the top 25, but I haven't watched Booth Jr or the DT from Connecticut yet:

Tier 1:

1 - Hutchinson

2 - Thibodeaux

3 - Davis

4 - Lloyd

5 - Hamilton

6 - Linderbaum

Tier 2:

7 - Eckwonu

8 - Stingley

9 - Gardner

10 - Neal

11 - Willis

Tier 3:

12 - Dean

13 - Wilson

14 - London

15 - Jermaine Johnson

16 - Cross

17 - Pickett

18 - Kenneth Walker

19 - Burks

Tier 4:

20 - Wyatt

21 - Green

22 - Olave

23 - Corral

24 - Travon Walker

25 - Zion Johnson

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

I listened to Kem's podcast, inteviewing Smoot.  Some topics were related to the draft, some QB, some Fa, so I'll post the different parts in different threads as to what fits

A.  He doesn't think they go QB at 11.  Mentioned maybe an off chance they do if lets say Willis falls maybe to 11 if he's best on their board.  But he doesn't think it happens

B.  Maybe a QB in the 2nd if there is surprise faller, hinted Ridder.

C.  Mentioned some desire to trade down

D.  Can't save all their needs for the draft, hinted some holes might be filled still in FA

E.  In his discussion with Smoot, Keim again hits Devin Lloyd as a person of interest

F.  Smoot worships Stingley saying he's a real special CB, in some ways he reminds him of Champ Bailey

G.  Smoot says the fact that Chase Young is the leader on this defense is a problem -- not because of anything related to him but because of his youth.  He talked about how London Fletcher was a great leader, veteran, calming presence

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3