Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

37 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Is Drake London really viewed as a top 15-20 pick. Don’t see it to that level at all.

Could age be a factor? Isn't he just 20? That people expect him to grow in route running and blew people  away in the coach talk. Having high football IQ.

I don't see it. But something happened why they love him. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I do, unless he runs poorly next month.  He's supposedly going to run in april.  What do you think makes him a bottom half first rounder and not a top 20 pick?

I didn’t come away overly blown away by the limited cut ups I’ve just watched. And it was limited. Didn’t see initial explosive step. Did look like he won most heavily contested balls. Seemed to push off a lot. Looked like he was in the ‘possession’ receiver, albeit a very good one, bracket. Certainly didn’t see #11 pick. But I don’t want a receiver at #11 so that may create bias. 

30 minutes ago, RWJ said:

If we don't trade down in the draft, I'm all for Kyle Hamiton!  I want us to trade down though as I have put my thoughts and ideas about the draft out here.

Hamilton is the only guy I'd run to the podium for. It would take one heck of an offer for me to consider giving up on that talent. Outside of Hamilton, I'm much more likely to entertain trade down offers, in fact it would be my preference to add a few late 1st and early 2-3 picks. This is a deep draft at a lot of positions. But Hamilton is the next generational Ed Reed IMO.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I didn’t come away overly blown away by the limited cut ups I’ve just watched. And it was limited. Didn’t see initial explosive step. Did look like he won most heavily contested balls. Seemed to push off a lot. Looked like he was in the ‘possession’ receiver, albeit a very good one, bracket. Certainly didn’t see #11 pick. But I don’t want a receiver at #11 so that may create bias. 

His body control, catch radius, seperation skills in short spaces IMO are special.  Intangibles through the roof.  Competitive as heck with the ball in his hands.  Run blocks well IMO. 

IMO he's not just a hey throw the ball and he will out leap and out muscle the CB kind of receiver.  He's good IMO at finding holes in the zone.  He's a tacitician IMO as for selling his routes to find daylight.  He reminds me a lot of a WR version of Jordan Reed. 

They haven't done a lot of players yet as far as getting some of the scouts takes but here is a couple more

Screen Shot 2022-03-22 at 6.06.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-22 at 6.08.13 PM.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Must admit I prefer Wilson of the two. But neither at #11 :ols:

I like Wilson a lot.  As for him versus Drake.  I got to think about it.  My gut right now is that Drake is a better fit to Wentz's skill set.  But you can't go wrong with either one. 

Tough for me to decide also between arguably who is the best in that next group -- Olave versus Burks.

I love J. Williams but I don't know post ACL.

I am not really against or for any specific position at 11.  I want the player they love the most.  I can argue for several right now.

The thing about the WR spot its if anything been elevated as a premium position in recent years as the passing games have gotten more prolific and the best WRs getting a lot of money in FA.   So it certainly doesn't have a bad stigma from an anayltics stand point.  For example purely theoritically the PFF guys would tout taking a WR early over a 4-3 LB.   I think the funky thing about the WR spot is how many of them have been good via the 2nd-3rd rounds. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

OK you guys have officially convinced me.

In the games I saw I concluded that he was a big contested catch receiver that would have a hard time getting seperation in the NFL.

But since then I've studied his youtube highlights, read glowing reports about him on the net, seen Kiper say he will be a superstar, heard tlhe's a loveable boyscout type that carries old ladies across the street, and gives free foot and bunion massages at his VFW.

I've also read the well reasoned opinions of our respected inhouse draftnicks suggesting he might one day be a bigger, better, bolder, and braver Cooper Cupp.

But what probably put me completely over the top was Wentz admitting that he does best throwing to big guys, with large catch radiuses, that are easy to locate in a pinch and that snatch the ball away from defenders even in tight coverage.

So count me all in on Drake "Shake 'n Take" London!

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

I keep going back and forth between London and Wilson too.  Wilson is an OBJ type talent who has the speed and body control and hands of a star.  But I think his route running is pretty bad.  That's what separates him from a Justin Jefferson or DeVonta Smith, and I don't think he'll ever be a technician at the position.  His hands aren't as good as Smith's either.  He's nowhere near as powerful as Jamar Chase either, so he might not be poised for the early success that those guys had.

London's routes look great and I love the way he adjusts to the ball in the air.  He is a heady player who knows how to bail out his QB and open up late windows for them/wall off defenders/pluck inaccurate throws.  But the issue for me is I don't think he'll have much of a vertical element to his game if he's playing on the outside.  I think you can single cover him and jam him effectively when he lines up outside of the numbers, because most corners are not going to be scared of him beating them deep.

I think both are teens value in this class, but neither of them are likely to BPA at 11 since I do think Linderbaum/Lloyd/Davis are all better than them and are likely to be there at 11.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The thing about the WR spot its if anything been elevated as a premium position in recent years as the passing games have gotten more prolific and the best WRs getting a lot of money in FA.   So it certainly doesn't have a bad stigma from an anayltics stand point.  For example purely theoritically the PFF guys would tout taking a WR early over a 4-3 LB.   I think the funky thing about the WR spot is how many of them have been good via the 2nd-3rd rounds.

If they want to compete for a Championship then they've got to have an explosive offense to go with a stout D. Wilson could be better than Terry McLaurin. You want to improve your defense and utilize the dual pass rushers you've invested in? Let them play with a lead! 

How are teams going to cover Mclaurin, Samuels, Wilson, and Logan Thomas!? That's a F'n Nightmare!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TheShredder said:

If they want to compete for a Championship then they've got to have an explosive offense to go with a stout D. Wilson could be better than Terry McLaurin. You want to improve your defense and utilize the dual pass rushers you've invested in? Let them play with a lead! 

How are teams going to cover Mclaurin, Samuels, Wilson, and Logan Thomas!? That's a F'n Nightmare!

The stout d-part is secondary. In today's NFL it's all about the "O".

The future of the league are games that are back and forth, down to the wire, last offense with the ball wins-- as in the instant classic playoff game for the ages between Josh Allen's Bills and Mahomes' Chiefs.

With the way the rules favor offenses and with the virtual elimination of kill shot hits to receivers nowadays, when great qbs get hot they are virtually unstoppable by any force other than the clock running out on them...

Buffalo Bills vs KC Chiefs 2022 Divisional Playoffs…

The most exciting offensive 4th quarter and overtime in recent memory.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I keep going back and forth between London and Wilson too.  Wilson is an OBJ type talent who has the speed and body control and hands of a star.  But I think his route running is pretty bad.  That's what separates him from a Justin Jefferson or DeVonta Smith, and I don't think he'll ever be a technician at the position.  His hands aren't as good as Smith's either.  He's nowhere near as powerful as Jamar Chase either, so he might not be poised for the early success that those guys had.

London's routes look great and I love the way he adjusts to the ball in the air.  He is a heady player who knows how to bail out his QB and open up late windows for them/wall off defenders/pluck inaccurate throws.  But the issue for me is I don't think he'll have much of a vertical element to his game if he's playing on the outside.  I think you can single cover him and jam him effectively when he lines up outside of the numbers, because most corners are not going to be scared of him beating them deep.

I think both are teens value in this class, but neither of them are likely to BPA at 11 since I do think Linderbaum/Lloyd/Davis are all better than them and are likely to be there at 11.

Would you rather have Dean+3rd rounder (via a trade down) or Lloyd?

Edited by mhd24

18 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

Isn't that what I just said...

giphy.gif

Kinda sorta. We're actually as you suggested more in agreement than not.

It's just that I'm taking it to the extreme.

You said they need offense to go along with their great defense.

I'm suggesting that defense doesn't even matter any more.

As long as you have a great offense with a top tier qb, 3 wrs, a pass catching te, a pass catching 3rd down rb that is a good blitz protector, a solid but not neccesarily great o-line that works well together and an offensive coordinator/play caller that knows how and is empowered to attack defenses with impunity at all times-- you have tge potential to cinsistently beat ANY opponent.

Offense, specifically the positions mentioned above is where we need to spend our money.

IT'S ALL ABOUT CONSTRUCTING A GREAT OFFENSE and filling in as best you can on defense with any money left over.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I am seeing Hamilton in alot of mock drafts to us. I can't see him dropping.

I can absolutely see him dropping. I like him but if you don’t, you can say the last similar safety prospect, Isiah Simmons, who was significantly more athletic than Hamilton, has been an absolute bust in the pros.

If you don’t like him, you could say he projects as a poor FS, a drag down tackler at SS, and too slow to play CB.

And he ran a 4.6 and got injured this year.

• Like 1

Draft a bunch of route-running speedsters to the point where we can throw the bomb, no-huddle, every damn play.

And onside kick it every time.  Don't even let the other side have a possession and if they manage to get the ball, force them into a 3-and-out.

• Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

My gut is Lloyd in that scenario.  He just feels like the safest bet for us because of his size and the fact that our DL is a little undersized.  Plus he's healthy.

Lloyd, London, and Hamilton are all available at 11, who are you taking?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I am seeing Hamilton in alot of mock drafts to us. I can't see him dropping.

I was watching NFL Mock Draft live.  Firstly, I like Daniel Jeremiah.  I think he said something to this degree.  Hamilton should be drafted in the top 5, but he is going to fall because the league for some reason does not value him or something to that degree.  I think he is spot on with his assessment.  Teams that pick before the Commanders, I can see them all passing just based on a combination of needs and players that make more sense for those teams.  

Lord have mercy they just showed day 2 sleepers and low and behold my other guy C. Watson is right there.  We would only be able to grab Watson if we trade up in the second which I can not see happening.  Overall I will still be very happy with Hamilton at 11, and BPA at #47.  It sucks not having our 3 rd. pick this year...such a deep draft.

2 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Lloyd, London, and Hamilton are all available at 11, who are you taking?

Hammer Time

Edited by sebestian
  • Like 1