Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

Been looking for a highlight video of him since his combine and someone finally made a good one:

Look at that speed!  He looks as fast as Kenneth Walker, only maybe even more explosive laterally.  He's a homerun-hitter with a ton of 50 yarders on his resume.  The downside is that, unlike Walker, he's got a WR build with skinny legs and not a lot of power in his game.

Currently seeing him projected to day 3, which would make him super interesting to me.  Anyone else have any thoughts on him?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Been looking for a highlight video of him since his combine and someone finally made a good one:

Look at that speed!  He looks as fast as Kenneth Walker, only maybe even more explosive laterally.  He's a homerun-hitter with a ton of 50 yarders on his resume.  The downside is that, unlike Walker, he's got a WR build with skinny legs and not a lot of power in his game.

Currently seeing him projected to day 3, which would make him super interesting to me.  Anyone else have any thoughts on him?

I'd like to see him in traffic a bit more. He seems like he has good power but he is so much faster than the rest of the guys he's going against that you're not seeing entirely what he can do. His OL seems pretty good, too. I'm intrigued. Not sure how much yet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

Broken tackles were all downfield with a head of steam, reminds me of who we already have in AG. I personally want a 3 down back that does it all or a bell cow to compliment JD and AG. 

1 hour ago, duffy said:

Very pleased to read we're showing interest Cardale 😏

Lol i was thinking the same… hey put him on as 3rd stringer practice guy… has talent but maybe not much else.  Not a bad description for your 3rd stringer QB guy.

9 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

We're definitely targeting one of the Buckeye receivers. My ideal is trade down, pick up an extra 2nd(and if far enough, maybe a 2023 1st) and pick up Olave.

Terry's probably screaming in theirs ears about either one.  I like Wilson hand's down over Olave if they are targeting WR in the 1st and we'd be fortunate to get him at #11 if so.  I'm on the trade down side.  Just me and if we do,  go FS Brisker, then LB Muma from Wyoming in the 2nd. If we don't address those positions in FA.  

16 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Standig who has been one of the best national Mockers over the last few years with having "won" the best mock twice. He has us taking a guard at 11.

I would riot.

Standing mock has us trading down to 20 first, then taking Green.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Standig who has been one of the best national Mockers over the last few years with having "won" the best mock twice. He has us taking a guard at 11.

I would riot.

I have Green on my wishlist but it will change.  I subscribe to the athletic.  Can you kindly post what his 7 round mock draft is or someone who subscribes, please. 

2 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

Can you please post his 7 round mock draft, actorguy1.  

I was thinking the Chargers could be a good trade back partner at 17.  But they don’t have a 2nd rounder.  They have a big hole on the right side of their line.  If the top 10 shook out with 3 pass rushers, 2 QBs, Gardner, Hamilton, Neal, Okwanu, and Stingley gone, then Cross could be really attractive for LAC.  One of London, Wilson, Olave, Williams, Dean or Lloyd would definitely be there.  Maybe more.

Would moving back in that scenario be worth a 22 3rd and 23 2nd?

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

I like this RB.  He hits the holes so fast.  When I first looked at him go through the holes, I thought of Gayle Sayers.  Call me crazy I know but his takeoff speed is amazing.  Seems like he has one speed though which is ok but it's nice to have that 2nd gear to kick into to take it.  Know what I mean.  Just my analysis.  He'd be a steal on day 3 in the 5th/6th.

13 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

@actorguy1 Can you post the full 7 round mock draft Standig posted?  Can someone please.  

Ben Standing Mock Draft from The Athletic

No. 20 (from Steelers): Kenyon Green, G, Texas A&M

The Commanders let Brandon Scherff exit in free agency and swapped out Ereck Flowers for Andrew Norwell. Even if Norwell produces on the left side and Wes Schweitzer on the right, there’s a lower ceiling now along the line. That’s never ideal, but especially not for a team trying to put its new, somewhat broken QB, metaphorically at least, back together.

Green is among the few interior linemen worthy of top-50 consideration. The Athletic’s Dane Brugler ranks him as his top guard and 24th overall player, citing the positional flexibility (he started 2019 at right guard, 2020 at left guard and played four positions in 2021) that Rivera covets. NFL Network draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah ranked the 6-foot-4, 323-pounder 21st overall before the combine. “I think he’s the best interior lineman in the draft who’s got some real power, some real strength,” Jeremiah said. “He can anchor down in pass pro.”

This is a plug-and-play scenario with Schweitzer ready to go as needed. Washington did keep Schweitzer despite the potential $4.8 million in cap savings with his release. If that’s an endorsement of him in the starting lineup, the Commanders won’t lack for options at wide receiver. Letting rising second-year target Dyami Brown develop and actually throwing toward Cam Sims seems like a decent consideration, so Washington can direct this choice elsewhere.

Lloyd or Georgia’s Nakobe Dean or both could be on the board. It’s just a little hard seeing Washington selecting a first-round linebacker in consecutive years, and the better move for the defense is with a veteran. We’re just waiting for them to sign one already.

Others considered: Utah LB Devin Lloyd, Ohio State WR Chris Olave, Washington CB Trent McDuffie

Round 2

No. 47 (from Indianapolis*): Kyler Gordon, CB, Washington

Brugler sent Gordon to the Commanders in the second round of his latest mock draft. Let’s stay with the assertive playmaker, whose athleticism screams Day 1 selection. The lack of polish probably keeps the 5-foot-11 CB with 4.52 speed outside the top 32 picks. His experience playing outside and in the slot makes him a fit for Rivera’s wishes.

Cornerback is one of those positions where teams never can have enough, and Washington barely did last season.

Kendall Fuller and William Jackson, coming off an inconsistent first year after signing a lucrative free-agent deal, are the starters outside. Benjamin St-Juste, a 2021 third-round pick, is the de facto CB3 despite missing a chunk of his rookie year with a concussion. The chances of free agent Danny Johnson returning seem better now than at the start of free agency, but he’s more of a depth option regardless.

There’s a world where Washington grabs a QB if one of the top five prospects remains available. Montana State linebacker Troy Andersen is a fascinating 243-pound prospect who raised his profile after running a 4.42 40-time at the Combine.

Others considered: Montana State LB Troy Andersen, North Dakota State WR Christian Watson, North Carolina QB Sam Howell

*Washington swapped No. 42 for No. 47 with Indianapolis in the Wentz trade.

Round 3 (No. 73): Traded to Indianapolis in the Wentz deal

Round 4

No. 113: Alec Pierce, WR, Cincinnati

Confession: My preference here is tight end. Washington needs another one after losing Ricky Seals-Jones in free agency and with Logan Thomas recovering from a December ACL tear. The Commanders have explored free agents, but haven’t shown a willingness to spend for help.

Maybe that’s because this class is considered deep at the position, especially in this range. Teams will consider Ohio State’s Jeremy Ruckert and Coastal Carolina’s Isaiah Likely in the fourth. The thing is, last year’s fourth-rounder, John Bates, flashed as a receiver and blocker, while Sammis Reyes remains a fun project. Those two represent the room’s kids. The logical play is adding the next Seals-Jones to the mix.

Speaking of logical, jumping on Pierce if he’s still on the board qualifies. Desmond Ridder’s top target at Cincinnati averaged 17.0 yards on 52 receptions last season. The 6-foot-3 target with 4.41 40-speed wowed athletically at the combine, though the physical WR doesn’t play like a burner. Sims provides Washington with red-zone size, but he re-signed for only one year.

Others considered: UTSA G Spencer Burford, Florida RB Dameon Pierce

Round 5 (No. 154): Traded to Philadelphia last year for a 2021 sixth (LS Camaron Cheeseman) and seventh (DE William Bradley-King)

Round 6

No. 189: Reed Blankenship, S, Middle Tennessee State

This is another position where depth disappeared when the Commanders released players for salary-cap reasons. Kam Curl and McCain remain the starters. Then it’s something of a mystery, and a concerning one depending on how much the coaches want to use with three-safety alignments after moving on from Landon Collins.

Darrick Forrest essentially redshirted last season after Washington drafted the physical safety known primarily for his special-teams work. Jeremy Reaves remains on the roster, but he typically lands on the wrong end of the final roster cut line annually.

The 6-foot-1 Blankenship played extensively during his five seasons with the Blue Raiders. He offers solid instincts in the run game and finished with 265 career tackles.

I was tempted to go with Oklahoma edge rusher Isaiah Thomas (14.5 sacks over last two seasons), but Washington invested at defensive end with three late-round picks over the past two years. No argument drafting players over Shaka Toney, Smith-Williams and Bradley-King. It just feels like letting these fliers play out is the way to go at this point.

Others considered: Oklahoma DE Isaiah Thomas, Virginia Tech TE James Mitchell

No. 208 (from Steelers): Haskell Garrett, DT, Ohio State

This pick doesn’t exist for Washington in the real world, but rather is a product of our mock trade-down in Round 1.

The Commanders’ sudden lack of interior defensive line depth is clear after they released Matt Ioannidis and lost Tim Settle in free agency to the Bills. Daniel Wise and James Smith-Williams received some reps last season, but there’s no harm in taking another swing or two for help this offseason.

The 300-pound Garrett’s attacking style led to 5 1/2 sacks last season for the Buckeyes.

Others considered: Indiana LB Micah McFadden, Kentucky OT Dare Rosenthal

Round 7

No. 230: Jack Coan, QB, Notre Dame

Rivera told The Athletic pre-combine he anticipated the depth chart including two veteran quarterbacks with a rookie likely joining the mix. At the time, that suggested an early-round selection. Things changed.

Don’t consider this selection as some ray of hope should Wentz flop. Rather, Coan would be a potential backup option knowing Taylor Heinicke’s contract only through 2022. The 6-foot-3 Coan finished with 25 touchdown passes and seven interceptions while completing 65.5 percent of his passes in 2021 after transferring from Wisconsin.

Brugler describes Coan as having “some athletic limitations” but adds, “He does a great job finding rhythm in the passing game and delivers with timing and placement. He has the on-field talent and football character to be a capable NFL backup.”

No need to overthink this. Depth at the most important position is a good thing. Washington lost Kyle Allen to the Texans and practice-squadder Kyle Shurmur to the coaching ranks.

Others considered: Auburn S Smoke Monday, Oregon WR Devon Williams

No. 240: Ellis Brooks, LB, Penn State

There’s a best-player-available vibe with late-round picks, but ideally, that would align with an opportunity to make the team. That might be outside at linebacker, if David Mayo’s late-season work helped the coaches see him as a decent MLB backup if needed. That shouldn’t prevent Washington from considering others for the role.

Should he last this long, Brooks would be a nice get after leading Penn State with 100 tackles last season after replacing Micah Parsons. Defensive end, tight end and running back are positions not yet targeted in this mock where roster openings exist.

Others considered: Alabama DE Christopher Allen, Virginia Tech WR Tre Turner

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I was thinking the Chargers could be a good trade back partner at 17.  But they don’t have a 2nd rounder.  They have a big hole on the right side of their line.  If the top 10 shook out with 3 pass rushers, 2 QBs, Gardner, Hamilton, Neal, Okwanu, and Stingley gone, then Cross could be really attractive for LAC.  One of London, Wilson, Olave, Williams, Dean or Lloyd would definitely be there.  Maybe more.

Would moving back in that scenario be worth a 22 3rd and 23 2nd?

I would think if you are only trading down 6 spots, a 3rd rounder may be more realistic than a second rounder.  I am just thinking about it from the perspective of the team trading up.  Now if its for a QB, that is a bit different.  But absent a QB, I don't think you would be willing to give up a second rounder just move up 6 spots.

28 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

Ben Standing Mock Draft from The Athletic

No. 20 (from Steelers): Kenyon Green, G, Texas A&M

The Commanders let Brandon Scherff exit in free agency and swapped out Ereck Flowers for Andrew Norwell. Even if Norwell produces on the left side and Wes Schweitzer on the right, there’s a lower ceiling now along the line. That’s never ideal, but especially not for a team trying to put its new, somewhat broken QB, metaphorically at least, back together.

Green is among the few interior linemen worthy of top-50 consideration. The Athletic’s Dane Brugler ranks him as his top guard and 24th overall player, citing the positional flexibility (he started 2019 at right guard, 2020 at left guard and played four positions in 2021) that Rivera covets. NFL Network draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah ranked the 6-foot-4, 323-pounder 21st overall before the combine. “I think he’s the best interior lineman in the draft who’s got some real power, some real strength,” Jeremiah said. “He can anchor down in pass pro.”

This is a plug-and-play scenario with Schweitzer ready to go as needed. Washington did keep Schweitzer despite the potential $4.8 million in cap savings with his release. If that’s an endorsement of him in the starting lineup, the Commanders won’t lack for options at wide receiver. Letting rising second-year target Dyami Brown develop and actually throwing toward Cam Sims seems like a decent consideration, so Washington can direct this choice elsewhere.

Lloyd or Georgia’s Nakobe Dean or both could be on the board. It’s just a little hard seeing Washington selecting a first-round linebacker in consecutive years, and the better move for the defense is with a veteran. We’re just waiting for them to sign one already.

Others considered: Utah LB Devin Lloyd, Ohio State WR Chris Olave, Washington CB Trent McDuffie

Round 2

No. 47 (from Indianapolis*): Kyler Gordon, CB, Washington

Brugler sent Gordon to the Commanders in the second round of his latest mock draft. Let’s stay with the assertive playmaker, whose athleticism screams Day 1 selection. The lack of polish probably keeps the 5-foot-11 CB with 4.52 speed outside the top 32 picks. His experience playing outside and in the slot makes him a fit for Rivera’s wishes.

Cornerback is one of those positions where teams never can have enough, and Washington barely did last season.

Kendall Fuller and William Jackson, coming off an inconsistent first year after signing a lucrative free-agent deal, are the starters outside. Benjamin St-Juste, a 2021 third-round pick, is the de facto CB3 despite missing a chunk of his rookie year with a concussion. The chances of free agent Danny Johnson returning seem better now than at the start of free agency, but he’s more of a depth option regardless.

There’s a world where Washington grabs a QB if one of the top five prospects remains available. Montana State linebacker Troy Andersen is a fascinating 243-pound prospect who raised his profile after running a 4.42 40-time at the Combine.

Others considered: Montana State LB Troy Andersen, North Dakota State WR Christian Watson, North Carolina QB Sam Howell

*Washington swapped No. 42 for No. 47 with Indianapolis in the Wentz trade.

Round 3 (No. 73): Traded to Indianapolis in the Wentz deal

Round 4

No. 113: Alec Pierce, WR, Cincinnati

Confession: My preference here is tight end. Washington needs another one after losing Ricky Seals-Jones in free agency and with Logan Thomas recovering from a December ACL tear. The Commanders have explored free agents, but haven’t shown a willingness to spend for help.

Maybe that’s because this class is considered deep at the position, especially in this range. Teams will consider Ohio State’s Jeremy Ruckert and Coastal Carolina’s Isaiah Likely in the fourth. The thing is, last year’s fourth-rounder, John Bates, flashed as a receiver and blocker, while Sammis Reyes remains a fun project. Those two represent the room’s kids. The logical play is adding the next Seals-Jones to the mix.

Speaking of logical, jumping on Pierce if he’s still on the board qualifies. Desmond Ridder’s top target at Cincinnati averaged 17.0 yards on 52 receptions last season. The 6-foot-3 target with 4.41 40-speed wowed athletically at the combine, though the physical WR doesn’t play like a burner. Sims provides Washington with red-zone size, but he re-signed for only one year.

Others considered: UTSA G Spencer Burford, Florida RB Dameon Pierce

Round 5 (No. 154): Traded to Philadelphia last year for a 2021 sixth (LS Camaron Cheeseman) and seventh (DE William Bradley-King)

Round 6

No. 189: Reed Blankenship, S, Middle Tennessee State

This is another position where depth disappeared when the Commanders released players for salary-cap reasons. Kam Curl and McCain remain the starters. Then it’s something of a mystery, and a concerning one depending on how much the coaches want to use with three-safety alignments after moving on from Landon Collins.

Darrick Forrest essentially redshirted last season after Washington drafted the physical safety known primarily for his special-teams work. Jeremy Reaves remains on the roster, but he typically lands on the wrong end of the final roster cut line annually.

The 6-foot-1 Blankenship played extensively during his five seasons with the Blue Raiders. He offers solid instincts in the run game and finished with 265 career tackles.

I was tempted to go with Oklahoma edge rusher Isaiah Thomas (14.5 sacks over last two seasons), but Washington invested at defensive end with three late-round picks over the past two years. No argument drafting players over Shaka Toney, Smith-Williams and Bradley-King. It just feels like letting these fliers play out is the way to go at this point.

Others considered: Oklahoma DE Isaiah Thomas, Virginia Tech TE James Mitchell

No. 208 (from Steelers): Haskell Garrett, DT, Ohio State

This pick doesn’t exist for Washington in the real world, but rather is a product of our mock trade-down in Round 1.

The Commanders’ sudden lack of interior defensive line depth is clear after they released Matt Ioannidis and lost Tim Settle in free agency to the Bills. Daniel Wise and James Smith-Williams received some reps last season, but there’s no harm in taking another swing or two for help this offseason.

The 300-pound Garrett’s attacking style led to 5 1/2 sacks last season for the Buckeyes.

Others considered: Indiana LB Micah McFadden, Kentucky OT Dare Rosenthal

Round 7

No. 230: Jack Coan, QB, Notre Dame

Rivera told The Athletic pre-combine he anticipated the depth chart including two veteran quarterbacks with a rookie likely joining the mix. At the time, that suggested an early-round selection. Things changed.

Don’t consider this selection as some ray of hope should Wentz flop. Rather, Coan would be a potential backup option knowing Taylor Heinicke’s contract only through 2022. The 6-foot-3 Coan finished with 25 touchdown passes and seven interceptions while completing 65.5 percent of his passes in 2021 after transferring from Wisconsin.

Brugler describes Coan as having “some athletic limitations” but adds, “He does a great job finding rhythm in the passing game and delivers with timing and placement. He has the on-field talent and football character to be a capable NFL backup.”

No need to overthink this. Depth at the most important position is a good thing. Washington lost Kyle Allen to the Texans and practice-squadder Kyle Shurmur to the coaching ranks.

Others considered: Auburn S Smoke Monday, Oregon WR Devon Williams

No. 240: Ellis Brooks, LB, Penn State

There’s a best-player-available vibe with late-round picks, but ideally, that would align with an opportunity to make the team. That might be outside at linebacker, if David Mayo’s late-season work helped the coaches see him as a decent MLB backup if needed. That shouldn’t prevent Washington from considering others for the role.

Should he last this long, Brooks would be a nice get after leading Penn State with 100 tackles last season after replacing Micah Parsons. Defensive end, tight end and running back are positions not yet targeted in this mock where roster openings exist.

Others considered: Alabama DE Christopher Allen, Virginia Tech WR Tre Turner

I think I hate just about every portion of this draft. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

23 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

KC now have 2 picks in each of the first 4 rounds. Damn that’s a nice situation to be in.

They are a perfect trade partner. They need to go find a new #1 WR and draft has to be the route.

I would trade #11 for both of their 1sts or a 1, 2 and 3 with maybe a 4th next year

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Yep I mentioned Pierre Strong here, if I recall is was last week.  Freak of an athlete. 4.3 and change speed.  1673 yards. 18 TDs.   Not big but also not small. 

Patient runner, quick cuts, can get skinny in the hole, home run hitter.  Catches the ball well.  Long legs-small torso. The funky thing about him, is he has thrown a bunch of TD passes in various trick plays -- Clinton Portis style when he played under Gibbs. 

The wild card to me is at times he had some really good blocking/big holes.  And when you are playing teams like UC Davis you take it with a grain of salt some.  But he had a big week at the East-West game. 

As I mentioned last week, he's one I am intrigued with. 

1 hour ago, Zim489 said:

I think I hate just about every portion of this draft. 

For me, I'd be doing cartwheels if we could get Alec Pierce in the 4th round like happened in that draft

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, method man said:

They are a perfect trade partner. They need to go find a new #1 WR and draft has to be the route.

I would trade #11 for both of their 1sts or a 1, 2 and 3 with maybe a 4th next year

Both1sts and a 3rd in this draft. Still leaves them with 5 picks in the top four rounds after they’ve selected at #11. Damn, thinking about it more I’d ask for a 4th as well :ols: