Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

So... what would you want in return for a trade back? Because I don't understand why we'd want to trade back from 11 to get... someone not as good.

What compensation?

If 11 to 14 I'd want a 3rd. But maybe we can get a bidding war going and get even more.

• Thumb up 1

Just now, Warhead36 said:

If 11 to 14 I'd want a 3rd. But maybe we can get a bidding war going and get even more.

11 to 14 isn't a bad jump. But why would Baltimore make that move? We aren't a threat, so they only have to get through 2 extra picks to save themselves a bunch of draft currency.

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

11 to 14 isn't a bad jump. But why would Baltimore make that move? We aren't a threat, so they only have to get through 2 extra picks to save themselves a bunch of draft currency.

The assumption is that they'd want Linderbaum or Stingley. Minnesota who is picking at 12 could also want both those guys so they'd move up past them. 

I'd be like when the Cowboys swapped with the Eagles last year so that Philly could get Devante Smith over the Giants. And Dallas still ended up with the best player in the entire draft class last year in Parsons.

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

The assumption is that they'd want Linderbaum or Stingley. Minnesota who is picking at 12 could also want both those guys so they'd move up past them. 

I'd be like when the Cowboys swapped with the Eagles last year so that Philly could get Devante Smith over the Giants. And Dallas still ended up with the best player in the entire draft class last year in Parsons.

Baltimore is very smart and savvy with their assets. Moving up 3 spots and giving up anything worthwhile for us seems like its a non-starter for the Ravens. Maybe they get desperate. But I don't think so.

They are also borderline a threat to take a Malik Willis if he falls (he won't). I don't think that's a REAL possibility... but if talks with Lamar have broken down they will want to go with another athletic QB that has a rocket arm. And then they can trade Jackson. 

I don't see that scenario. But there's just so many things to account for and think about. I don't consider Baltimore a trade back option personally. At least one that is advantageous to us. But we'll see. 

12 hours ago, RWJ said:

Got to think Commanders come out of this draft with a QB to learn under Wentz whether he's here for a year or more.  

After watching Malik Willis's pro day I am nearly certain he's going in the top 10 to someone. Competitiveness, toughness, athleticism, confidence, elite arm talent, supreme charisma and most importantly, true humility. 

He's the kind of player that solves your free agent problem because players will want to play with him. All that's lacking is an understanding of the pro game and experience.

However, if he somehow lasts to 11 I just don't know how you keep all of your eggs in the Wentz basket. At best it's a 50/50 proposition that Wentz is our long term qb solution.

I would be inclined to increase the chances that my team has at least one viable qb in the long run by drafting Willis, annointing Wentz the starter, and seeing how they both develop and integrate with the team over the course of the year.

Then next year you are in position to either keep both on the roster and have an open competion for starter, proactively trade one in a market that belongs to the seller, or try again in the draft if they both are complete busts (highly unlikely worst case scenario).

Bottom line: Until you have an elite qb all other team building efforts are folly.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Baltimore is very smart and savvy with their assets. Moving up 3 spots and giving up anything worthwhile for us seems like its a non-starter for the Ravens. Maybe they get desperate. But I don't think so.

They are also borderline a threat to take a Malik Willis if he falls (he won't). I don't think that's a REAL possibility... but if talks with Lamar have broken down they will want to go with another athletic QB that has a rocket arm. And then they can trade Jackson. 

I don't see that scenario. But there's just so many things to account for and think about. I don't consider Baltimore a trade back option personally. At least one that is advantageous to us. But we'll see. 

Yeah, but Minny (12) and Houston (13) could easily take Stingley.  Houston could easily take Linderbaum (if they keep Howard at RT and don't go o-line with #3).  Baltimore also needs an edge (losing out on reuniting with Smith in FA).  They would want to jump Houston & Minny for those spots (both could take edge as well).

I'd want 14+100 for #11 in a trade down.  That's isn't a steep price considering Baltimore has 3 4ths (including a high 4th).

Just now, mhd24 said:

Yeah, but Minny (12) and Houston (13) could easily take Stingley.  Houston could easily take Linderbaum (if they keep Howard at RT and don't go o-line with #3).  Baltimore also needs an edge (losing out on reuniting with Smith in FA).  They would want to jump Houston & Minny for those spots (both could take edge as well).

I'd want 14+100 for #11 in a trade down.  That's isn't a steep price considering Baltimore has 3 4ths (including a high 4th).

I’d be okay with this scenario. Though Houston would be a threat to take a receiver and Minnesota a threat to take a CB or Lloyd. Both are a threat to take Hamilton. So… we better know what we’re doing if we pull that.

• Like 2

If we don’t acquire more picks then it looks to me like we are going to fall short in both FA and the draft. 

It’s trade out of #11 or move a player on. Stick at #11 if Hamilton were to fall for example. I mean, how he getting out of the top 5 anyway?

I can see us wanting to fill the gaps in rounds 3 and 5 plus that probable 2023 2nd.

So #11 for a 2022 1st 3rd 5th and 2023 2nd. 

Maybe GB take that at #22 to get a top 2 WR and keep Rodgers happy. We probably need a bit more change in that deal to drop to #22. More like 1,2,5 say plus the 2023 pick.

Or move a player on. I can pretty much only think of Sweat as an option there and in a draft heavy with Edge near the top, I really can’t see more than getting a couple of early to mid rounders. Someone gets him on a 2 years 13mil deal inclusive of the option year. Doesn’t seem a realistic trade to be honest.

Edited by Est.1974
  • Thumb up 1

This draft is impossible to get a read on not one player is lock to any team. We have no idea who will be there.

I think we probably pick if they are there is either 

Utah LB

ND safety 

Lsu CB 

or 

Wr 

Move down is possible. I think someone will want Wr and be willing to trade up. I don't think our coaches thing Wr is as big a problem as the fans.

Edited by Redskins 2021
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

After watching Malik Willis's pro day I am nearly certain he's going in the top 10 to someone. Competitiveness, toughness, athleticism, confidence, elite arm talent and supreme charisma. All that's lacking is an understanding of the pro game and experoence.

However, if he somehow lasts to 11 I just don't know how you keep all of your eggs in the Wentz basket. At best it's a 50/50 proposition that Wentz is our long term qb solution.

I would be inclined to increase the chances that my team has at least one viable qb in the long run by drafting Willis, annointing Wentz the starter, and seeing how they both develop and integrate with the team over the course of the year.

Then next year you are in position to either keep both on the roster, proactively trade one in a market that belongs to the seller, or try again in the draft if they both are complete busts (highly unlikely worst case scenario).

Bottom line: Until you have an elite qb all other team building efforts are folly.

We have an out on Wentz after 2022.  Zero dead cap space money.  :) I like Malik too but it will be interesting to see if RR makes the trip from Columbus yesterday to Cincinnati today for their Pro Day.  Ridder, Sauce, WR Pierce, EDGE Myjai Sanders etc.  Just to name a few.  Commanders have been mentioned as a team interested in Ridder.  If they took Willis, I'd be ok but I have been banging the drum for them to trade down in the 1st to acquire an additional 2nd or 3rd round pick.  I'd like to come out of this draft with a QB that can sit and learn behind Wentz.  If Wentz bombs, then use your 1st on a QB in next year's draft as you said.  Wentz is gone and not on the books for any cap money due to the out in his contract after this year.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Id be sad if WR is not a position they’re considering at all. We are sooo lacking in weapons. 

This worries me, too.

I'm really not sold that Ron truly understands today's NFL enough.  You absolutely have to have a lot of weapons on offense, especially WR.  You need three major quality level starters and some true, high quality backups.  

We have 1 stud WR in Terry.  Beyond that, I think Curtis is maybe a #2.   Then...well..that's all she wrote.  Don't even get me started on Simms or Carter being strong #3s.  No.  Those guys are #4s or maybe even a peg down.  They are simply not consistent enough.  Brown is clearly a multi-year project of a WR that at best is going to be a #3, IMO.  At best.  

We desperately need WR help, but Ron seems (to me at least) to always overvalue this roster.  We're headed into Year 3, have precious few draft picks that matter (especially compared to the Giants and Eagles), and aren't on par with the Cowboys talent-wise.  That ain't a good sign.  IMHO, I think Ron's overvaluing his roster is going to translate to us being a fringe playoff team or a 1 and done playoff team as the highlight of his tenure here. Others may disagree but I gotta go with what my gut tells me.

• Like 3

I don’t see us drafting a QB with a view to unseating Wentz in 2023. Rivera is all in on the guy. I could however see us picking one to drop into the back up berth 2023.

I keep saying Strong. Need to have a look at other later options who have similar traits to Wentz. Not necessarily ginger, but 6-4 plus, well over 200lb, big enough arm.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

We have an out on Wentz after 2022.  Zero dead cap space money.  :) I like Malik too but it will be interesting to see if RR makes the trip from Columbus yesterday to Cincinnati today for their Pro Day.  Ridder, Sauce, WR Pierce, EDGE Myjai Sanders etc.  Just to name a few.  Commanders have been mentioned as a team interested in Ridder.  If they took Willis, I'd be ok but I have been banging the drum for them to trade down in the 1st to acquire an additional 2nd or 3rd round pick.  I'd like to come out of this draft with a QB that can sit and learn behind Wentz.  If Wentz bombs, then use your 1st on a QB in next year's draft as you said.  Wentz is gone and not on the books for any cap money due to the out in his contract after this year.

Those are all great possibilities. My top 2 qb options after Willis would probably be Corral and Ridder.

I am still tingling from my recent bout of puppy love for Malik so take what I’m about to say with a grain of sea salt. 

If the brain trust at Ashburn is anywhere near as enamored with Willis as I am I wouldn’t be against them trading up to get Willis. I’m just that sold on his future right now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am ok with Ridder.  I do Sauce and Pierce.  Pierce might be my fav 3rd-4th round type WR I've watched so far

See the post below.  RR and Co. are along with Zampese are at the Cincinnati Pro Day.  Think they are serious on Ridder. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RWJ said:

See the post below.  RR and Co. are along with Zampese are at the Cincinnati Pro Day.  Think they are serious on Ridder. 

I swear... if they draft Ridder at 11... I may have a melt down.

He won't be there at our second rounder. Could be there to watch Pierce, too. And Sauce.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Keim is pretty adament they are very unlikely to take a QB in the first.  As far as Ridder falling all the way down to their pick in the 2nd round, will see.   If they did it, I wouldn't love it, wouldn't hate it.

But Sauce Gardner has a shot to be there at pick #11.  And to my Alec Pierce is a good prospect.   Ditto Jerome Ford. 

I’m not suggesting they are all there because we are taking Ridder, but I do think people are underestimating the possibility that we take a QB early, first couple of days of the draft.

You need 2 good QBs or your season is dead when #1 goes down. I do think it is increasingly difficult to acquire and/or find one now as well. That’s why the likes of Trubisky, Mariota etc are all so sought after. And costly.

Get one on a rookie deal to pair with Wentz. Main position set.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Problem is Ridder won't likely be there at 47.

He might have been there at 42 but even that is questionable.

Ridder is the third qb on my board after Willis and Corral. I have him pegged in the late first early second round area.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Me too but I am not worried about it.  Keim could end up wrong but he's been saying for months Ridder on their radar but only if the 2nd round. 

I bet they wanted to see the full gamut of Cincy players.  And they were already nearby since they went to Ohio State. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

He won't be there at our second rounder. Could be there to watch Pierce, too. And Sauce.

This is where going back to 22/28 with GB or 29/30 with KC rears up.

I really can see KC ploughing up the board for Hamilton if he slides. 

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Me too but I am not worried about it

I worry about all things with this franchise.

It doesn't make any sense to do it. But when has that stopped us? And yes, I trust Ron - kind of (through no fault of his own). But I've seen this movie where we all think the move should go a certain direction and the franchise pulls some random move out of left field that leaves us all puzzled and confused.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim is pretty adament they are very unlikely to take a QB in the first.  As far as Ridder falling all the way down to their pick in the 2nd round, will see.   If they did it, I wouldn't love it, wouldn't hate it.

But Sauce Gardner has a shot to be there at pick #11.  And to my Alec Pierce is a good prospect.   Ditto Jerome Ford. 

Sauce had a better 2020 then 2021.  Haven't watched much tape on Pierce or Ford.  Ridder is my guy and if they are to draft him they will need to move up, I think and it will take a trade down to acquire an extra 2nd or using 2023 ammo. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Est.1974 said:

This is where going back to 22/28 with GB or 29/30 with KC rears up.

I really can see KC ploughing up the board for Hamilton if he slides. 

I still don't think trading back that far makes sense, either.