Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

I dont get the Brisker love. I liked him pretty early on, but he's more of a box safety. I'd much rather get Hill or Cine, but I still like Cross on the 3rd day as a project free. I also don't see the position being as weighted this year as LBer, WR, RB is to us.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Now that we're not in the market to draft a QB, it's as if all of the energy I put into trying to form takes on them is completely gone.  I don't have a dog in the fight for any of the debates/rankings of them any more and couldn't care less which one goes where and in what order they go.

I too have been trying to catch up on the prospects at the other positions in the first round discussion.  Been going over the top OLs and WRs in the class, and have actually enjoyed doing so.  This is a good first round crop for both positions.

Draft scouting is back to being fun.  When you don't have a QB and you're just looking at them over and over it's depressing and anxiety inducing.  I don't feel that way about any other position in the draft.  Just QB's.  Now that Wentz is here, looking at all the prospects gets more fun.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I dont get the Brisker love. I liked him pretty early on, but he's more of a box safety. I'd much rather get Hill or Cine, but I still like Cross on the 3rd day as a project free. I also don't see the position being as weighted this year as LBer, WR, RB is to us.

After Hamilton I'm not all that interested in any real focus on the FS position. Daxton Hill would be a fun get. Though I'm not thrilled about McCain.

14 minutes ago, KDawg said:

After Hamilton I'm not all that interested in any real focus on the FS position. Daxton Hill would be a fun get. Though I'm not thrilled about McCain.

I was not excited about the resigning of McCain as I thought his replacement could have been an easy upgrade. 

I would have rather they focused on resigning Lucas or McKissic or Ion/Settle. Sounds like they almost effed up McKissic and did with Settle while focusing on McCain

9 hours ago, mhd24 said:

That's just a poor allocation of resources if Philly does that.  Three straight 1st round WRs shows a lack of good scouting.  Philly should be in the CB, D-line, and trade down market for their three first rounders.

I wouldn't last past failures stop drafting a position especially when you got three first round picks. 

Jamin might not work out, does that mean even if lets say we love Devin Lloyd we should pass on him?  

49 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Same. I think McCain can be a really valuable piece for this defense, but I didn't want him as our starting FS. Still don't. 

It's Hamilton or depth signing for me. I'd say slot CB is higher than safety if we're talking DBs in general. 

Even though Reaves is underwhelming and slow, I'm glad we brought him back for 2 years.

8 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Draft scouting is back to being fun.  When you don't have a QB and you're just looking at them over and over it's depressing and anxiety inducing.  I don't feel that way about any other position in the draft.  Just QB's.  Now that Wentz is here, looking at all the prospects gets more fun.

Agreed. The QBs this year are so bad it was disheartening. But there are a lot of other good

prospects. We should be able to get someone good at 11.

Are there safeties I like in this draft better than McCain. You bet.  But they only have 3 picks right now among the top 5 rounds and not a ton of cap space.  So like just about every team, we are going to some average-cheap players in some spots whether we like it or not. 

McCain came on at the end of the season, it was something Rivera highlighted and PFF stats backed it up.  Their secondary stopped giving up big plays like mad as what happened earlier in the season.  It's not hard to read between the lines that some in that secondary, for example William Jackson might not be the most cerebral player and McCain supposedly helped solved some of the confusion going on the field.

He was known to be a leader-good locker room guy in Miami,  He can also play slot.  Came in the league as a corner.   He IMO is OK.  Average. 

He had a rough spot towards the early part of the season where he criticized the media for criticizng the defense and then followed that with a bad game where he had an easy dropped pick.  And he got criticized back then from some fans then, including me.

But for me, I got to give credit if a player bounces back versus staying locked into my position. I was critical of both McCain and Jackson's early year performance but both did get better as the season progressed. 

Screen Shot 2022-03-22 at 8.22.14 AM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

They seem to want a Buffalo nickle.  Daxton Hill who has got some attention on this thread including from me would fit that IMO -- can play slot and can play safety.  ditto Jalen Pitre.

With this team's needs I am not sure I'd put FS on the table until the 4th though.  I am doubting either lasts that long in the draft.  Nick Cross does fit that too -- can play slot.  Obviously Cross has freakish athleticism and this team seems to value that.  I heard him in a 106.7 interview about a week or so ago, he seemed smart, articulate and he likes this team.  He went to the same high school that Chase Young went to and unlike Young he actually rooted for this team. 😀

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

They seem to want a Buffalo nickle.  Daxton Hill who has got some attention on this thread including from me would fit that IMO -- can play slot and can play safety.  ditto Jalen Pitre.

With this team's needs I am not sure I'd put FS on the table until the 4th though.  I am doubting either lasts that long in the draft.  Nick Cross does fit that too -- can play slot.  Obviously Cross has freakish athleticism and this team seems to value that.  I heard him in a 106.7 interview about a week or so ago, he seemed smart, articulate and he likes this team.  He went to the same high school that Chase Young went to and unlike Young he actually rooted for this team. 😀

Pitre seems to be getting undervalued by a lot of people compared to Cine and Hill. There really are a lot of players who fit need and BPA that will go in the 2nd round. If we could have 4 picks between 30-60 we could address WR, LBer, RB and BS and change this team.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Pitre seems to be getting undervalued by a lot of people compared to Cine and Hill. There really are a lot of players who fit need and BPA that will go in the 2nd round. If we could have 4 picks between 30-60 we could address WR, LBer, RB and BS and change this team.

Yeah and Mayhew flat out said he loves the depth of this draft so I wonder if Plan A is to try to trade down.

I caught up with kiper and McShay's podcast last night.  Kiper actually really liked the Wentz trade for this team.  Refreshing to hear some talking heads endorse that deal for a change. 😀

Both McShay and Kiper like Devin Lloyd for this team in the first.  They say this team needs an Alpha style player in that LB corp and the defense needs an Alpha personality.  I agree.  I am not married to Lloyd but I'd be jazzed if they took him.  Then they talked up a dude i like in the 2nd which is Chenal.  They don't like the idea of them taking a QB now.

While Keim has't mentioned a player that they are locking in on.  It doesn't escape me that the player he has mentioned the most (outside of the QBs pre Wentz) is Devin Lloyd.   He threw a hypothetical recently (maybe it was Sheehan this morning, my brain is starting to mix up Keim's radio interviews and podcasts) with what if Devin Lloyd and Drake London are gone before their pick.  That was the first time he mentioned London that I can recall -- London is another player I love that I would be good with depending on what he runs in his 40.  He's also in the past mentioned the top CBs but I haven't heard that recently (I presume that means Gardner, Stingley)

Keim rarely throws hypoteticals for no reason. Not that he's always right but he's the closest thing to deep throat we have among the commanders press IMO.  Heck for example I don't recall anyone except for Keim mentioning Wentz is hot on their radar. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah and Mayhew flat out said he loves the depth of this draft so I wonder if Plan A is to try to trade down.

I caught up with kiper and McShay's podcast last night.  Kiper actually really liked the Wentz trade for this team.  Refreshing to hear some talking heads endorse that deal for a change. 😀

Both McShay and Kiper like Devin Lloyd for this team in the first.  They say this team needs an Alpha style player in that LB corp and the defense needs an Alpha personality.  I agree.  I am not married to Lloyd but I'd be jazzed if they took him.  Then they talked up a dude i like in the 2nd which is Chenal.  They don't like the idea of them taking a QB now.

While Keim has't mentioned a player that they are locking in on.  It doesn't escape me that the player he has mentioned the most (outside of the QBs pre Wentz) is Devin Lloyd.   He threw a hypothetical recently (maybe it was Sheehan this morning, my brain is starting to mix up Keim's radio interviews and podcasts) with what if Devin Lloyd and Drake London are gone before their pick.  That was the first time he mentioned London that I can recall -- London is another player I love that I would be good with depending on what he runs in his 40.  He's also in the past mentioned the top CBs but I haven't heard that recently (I presume that means Gardner, Stingley)

Keim rarely throws hypoteticals for no reason. Not that he's always right but he's the closest thing to deep throat we have among the commanders press IMO.  Heck for example I don't recall anyone except for Keim mentioning Wentz is hot on their radar. 

London could easily go to NYJ at 10 (although I think Wilson (and especially Burks) fits the Shanty-style offense they run).  Tony Pauline (who has very good NYJ sources has said that their GM Joe Douglas LOVES Burks).  I could see NYJ trade down from 10 if that is the case.

I could see Lloyd going to Seattle I guess.  Maybe to NYG at 7?  Their new FO took Edmunds as the Mike for their defense.

24 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I have mentioned in the past how badly this team needs an alpha personality in the LB / secondary. Collins was about the closest we had last year but still wasn't quite what was needed. Not sure a rookie can step into that role right away but its another reason a Wagner type of player is needed, doesn't necessarily need to be a LB but someone to play field general.

23 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

London im not high on. Intrested to see what he runs, but loved the Jordan Reed comparison you made.

Lloyd to Commander Ron is such an obvious move. It's about as much as a lock in this draft as there is. First year was wait and see and the high draft pick was basically predecided by everyone from fan to Dan. Last year was a complete offseason flop and almost cost Ron his job(probably not). 

Now? With 2 glaring holes, which Ron has talked about, we successfully and aggressively nailed QB, but have sat quietly at MLB. The position Ron loves the most. Muma is a RAS monster that we seem to target, but Lloyd checks every box and is a clear homerun at 11, where Ron likes to draft his guy.

Ron knows he has to win this year and filling those two spots is how he does it. I'd bet very good money on Lloyd being our MLB.

I'll ****ing absolutely love it and I'll feed off everyone's tears.  :ols: especially when it works.

• Like 2

I'm off the LB bandwagon, at least at 11, but I wouldn't hate Lloyd. At least he projects to be a stud. And a Lloyd/Holcomb/Davis LB trio could be pretty damn good for the next ~5 years. 

I still prefer WR though. I want more speed and more weapons on offense.

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm off the LB bandwagon, at least at 11, but I wouldn't hate Lloyd. At least he projects to be a stud. And a Lloyd/Holcomb/Davis LB trio could be pretty damn good for the next ~5 years. 

WR in the 1rst have a high bust rate. Plus is Samuel comes back healthy, I think we have a decent core. If we go Lloyd at 11, I think our 2nd is either WR or RB, with DB/OL behind them.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The way I see it we pretty much know what we have at LB and it needs help, though admittedly Davis may come on next year but I dont think he has the traits to be "that guy", we need a true leader/playmaker. However at WR I would be willing to go into the season with what we have and see how much of a difference Wentz will make to that group. 

Edited by Chris 44
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

London im not high on. Intrested to see what he runs, but loved the Jordan Reed comparison you made.

Lloyd to Commander Ron is such an obvious move. It's about as much as a lock in this draft as there is. First year was wait and see and the high draft pick was basically predecided by everyone from fan to Dan. Last year was a complete offseason flop and almost cost Ron his job(probably not). 

Now? With 2 glaring holes, which Ron has talked about, we successfully and aggressively nailed QB, but have sat quietly at MLB. The position Ron loves the most. Muma is a RAS monster that we seem to target, but Lloyd checks every box and is a clear homerun at 11, where Ron likes to draft his guy.

Ron knows he has to win this year and filling those two spots is how he does it. I'd bet very good money on Lloyd being our MLB.

I'll ****ing absolutely love it and I'll feed off everyone's tears.  :ols: especially when it works.

I'm the contrarian on Lloyd.  I will be extremely unhappy if we take him at 11.  I don't think he projects to MLB at all, and I think he just adds to the OLB logjam with Holcomb and Davis.  Which is silly when depending on opponent we're in Nickel 60-80% every game.

I'd rather take Kyle Hamilton at 11 (who I don't think projects as a FS but more of a universal DB) for the Buffalo Nickel role.  Nickel in Man vs TE's or big Slots, Nickel in Zone, some FS, some SS, some LB in Landon Collins role, etc.  That's much more versatility than Lloyd's OLB or Edge (where his Edge is not near Micah Parsons level).

17 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

I'm the contrarian on Lloyd.  I will be extremely unhappy if we take him at 11.  I don't think he projects to MLB at all, and I think he just adds to the OLB logjam with Holcomb and Davis.  Which is silly when depending on opponent we're in Nickel 60-80% every game.

I'd rather take Kyle Hamilton at 11 (who I don't think projects as a FS but more of a universal DB) for the Buffalo Nickel role.  Nickel in Man vs TE's or big Slots, Nickel in Zone, some FS, some SS, some LB in Landon Collins role, etc.  That's much more versatility than Lloyd's OLB or Edge (where his Edge is not near Micah Parsons level).

I'd kill for Hamilton who absolutely does project as a FS. He also projects at SS and BN and even LBer. Dudes incredible. 

If Hamilton is there I take him short of overpaid trade offers.

Lloyd is there I take him, but I'd listen to trade offers.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Why is there a fascination with finding a Mike? We spend a ton of time in the 4-2 which doesn’t feature a true Mike. We need a good all-around linebacker. Can offset that need with a good FS and a Buffalo.

Are we playing the BN because we don't have the personnel to run a 43? We ran a 43 most of the year last year and after Collins got hurt, we went right back to the 43 with Mayo at MLB.

Are you saying we need either an inside backer or a FS&BN?

We need an inside LBer/ Middle LBer. An anchor on the defense. 

I get the point you're trying to make, but there's a reason that it's falling on deaf ears. We need a MLB/ILB regardless of how you want to define it. The Collins role was essentially a LBer. At least by coaches definition.

47 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'd kill for Hamilton who absolutely does project as a FS. He also projects at SS and BN and even LBer. Dudes incredible. 

If Hamilton is there I take him short of overpaid trade offers.

Lloyd is there I take him, but I'd listen to trade offers.

Yeah I know I'm in the minority.

It's difficult to tell assignments on a play, but the few times I saw Hamilton in some form of Cover 1 where he was aligned as the Single High, it did not look like how he played was going to translate to the NFL.  I think he can do Cover 2 or 4.  But for Cover 3, he looks more like a SS in how he operates.  His preference is reading flow under him like a Robber (such as crossers), instead of boundary action and either gaining depth or turning and running on a go route.  There was an incomplete play that was saved by the corner breaking it up, but I'm pretty sure that was Hamilton's responsibility to be over the top and he was too late reading it.  He couldn't recover.

I do not think Hamilton should be a FS full-time.  It negates his strengths, and magnifies an area he struggles a little.  If we draft Hamilton, we should be very thankful we re-signed McCain as FS.  You'll want a rotation for FS responsibilities.  Re-signing McCain, in my mind, helps the case for drafting Hamilton rather than hurts it as it would let us put Hamilton in spots better suited to his strengths.

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Are we playing the BN because we don't have the personnel to run a 43? We ran a 43 most of the year last year and after Collins got hurt, we went right back to the 43 with Mayo at MLB.

Are you saying we need either an inside backer or a FS&BN?

We need an inside LBer/ Middle LBer. An anchor on the defense. 

I get the point you're trying to make, but there's a reason that it's falling on deaf ears. We need a MLB/ILB regardless of how you want to define it. The Collins role was essentially a LBer. At least by coaches definition.

We need a linebacker. We don’t need a MIKE. They are different types physically. Saying we need a Mike is false. Collins role was more like a Buffalo than a LB and yes, some consider that a variation of linebacker. But it’s more of a bigger DB like a safety who can play in the box. A perfect role for Kyle Hamilton.