Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

3 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

That constituted an aggressive (and fair) offer to me too.

What the Rams ended up paying for Stafford was crazy.  But they are a desperate team trying to maximize the fleeting window of a defense with three HoFers on it and a rapidly aging WR core and OL, and they are trying to sell themselves and the sport itself to a new city and fill up an absurdly expensive new stadium.  Stafford is worth it to them since they don't have enough time to develop first rounders in their current competitive window, they have like two elite years left with all of their good players, virtually no one in the pipeline, and they will be competitively barren after this window closes.  The trade was a good fit for both teams and Stafford, and he formed a mind-meld with McVay and a special relationship with Kupp and it will end up being hunky dory if they win the SB this weekend, but that is not how it would have played out here.  Our core is younger and less built up and I seriously doubt Scott Turner was going to coax MVP level play out of Stafford if he'd ended up here instead.

I took the point of your post though, Stafford's Q-Rating was waaaaaaaaaay lower last offseason than it is right now, and it took some vision to see the potential of trading a ton of value for him.

I submit that I think the guy who most closely resembles that situation this offseason is Matt Ryan.  I seriously doubt Atlanta will trade him (and if they don't I think there is no ****ing way they pick one of these QBs at eight) because I believe they now (rightly) view their division as wide open.  They're the favorites to win it if they can get any kind of defense built for next season, and I think they'll use 8 to either get someone like Garrett Wilson or Evan Neal, or they'll use it on a badass defensive player who can be an impact player year one.  But if they got a wild hair up their butts and put Ryan on the block, I bet he could be had for far better deal than paying three firsts for Russell Wilson.  We started to debate this in the QB thread, and it made me realize that Ryan is super undervalued right now.  His Q-Rating is very low and his salary would be super cheap since the Falcons would have to eat so much of it.  Look at this hypothetical deal I saw from a Falcons fan website: https://www.sportstalkatl.com/falcons-ranking-five-potential-matt-ryan-trade-destinations-and-packages/

Holy ****, if that is all it would take to get him, you make that deal without hesitation.  I would trade 11 for Ryan, 42 is a no-brainer.  If we keep 11 and get Devin Lloyd and Matt Ryan, this team is a Superbowl contender next season.

I like Ryan, but I think his arm is really going south.  I'd trade for him if I could, but I doubt he's available.  The falcons can win that division (as you stated).  Ridley looks to be traded this year (he can't be counted on).  They are also a Lloyd destination.

2 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

I like Ryan, but I think his arm is really going south.  I'd trade for him if I could, but I doubt he's available.  The falcons can win that division (as you stated).  Ridley looks to be traded this year (he can't be counted on).  They are also a Lloyd destination.

I read that the front office said "He'll be our QB next season" and then ownership said "Hold on, we'll pick up the phone."

My sense is that they'd want to try and make a run next year to prove Arthur Smith was the right hire, and the way that happens for them is to get Ryan to work with them on his cap hit and to spend 8 on someone like Garrett Wilson or Drake London and hope for a decent return from Ridley.

But the truth is that if they run it back next season and don't make the leap back to SB contention, then Ryan will absolutely get moved in the '23 offseason and Arthur Smith will be in the troublesome boat that Ron is in right now--heading into his third year with no partner/direction at QB.  Sitting at 8, I bet they could be pushed into the boat of dealing Ryan and eating his salary and drafting Malik Willis or Kenny Pickett by an aggressive enough offer for Ryan.  If I'm them, I say yes to 11 for Ryan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I read that the front office said "He'll be our QB next season" and then ownership said "Hold on, we'll pick up the phone."

My sense is that they'd want to try and make a run next year to prove Arthur Smith was the right hire, and the way that happens for them is to get Ryan to work with them on his cap hit and to spend 8 on someone like Garrett Wilson or Drake London and hope for a decent return from Ridley.

But the truth is that if they run it back next season and don't make the leap back to SB contention, then Ryan will absolutely get moved in the '23 offseason and Arthur Smith will be in the troublesome boat that Ron is in right now--heading into his third year with no partner/direction at QB.  Sitting at 8, I bet they could be pushed into the boat of dealing Ryan and eating his salary and drafting Malik Willis or Kenny Pickett by an aggressive enough offer for Ryan.  If I'm them, I say yes to 11 for Ryan.

I'm not trading 11 for Ryan.  He's not worth that! (especially considering we could get a non-QB stud like Lloyd, Stingley, Wilson, London).  Ryan's age & contract makes his value a 3rd IMO.  Atlanta might win that division by default.  

If Atlanta insisted on 11, I'd offer 11 for Ryan+Atlanta's 2nd+Atlanta's 3rd. 

EDIT:

https://theathletic.com/3083317/2022/01/21/should-the-falcons-trade-matt-ryan-we-discuss-the-teams-options-and-which-route-it-should-take/

"Blank wants to get back to the playoffs, and I agree they would take a step back in the short term if they trade Ryan"

I don't see Atlanta trading Ryan.  Him being on the roster gets them to division favorites.  I think they'll take BPA at 8.  

Edited by mhd24
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

Game wrecker like Parsons, but much more of a true stack linebacker whereas Parsons is a rush linebacker.  Lloyd will be able to handle the full range of coverage responsibilities thrown at him.  He came up in the game as a WR/DB and has rare passing game instincts and hands for the LB position.

He is an awesome fit for us. Any chance he makes defensive calls?

11. WASHINGTON COMMANDERS: LB DEVIN LLOYD, UTAH

This is another potential spot for a quarterback, but I’m just not ready to pull the trigger. Instead, Washington’s first pick nets one of the best all-around talents in the draft. Lloyd is an effective pass-rusher, coverage defender and run-stopper. Washington has been terrible at linebacker for almost five seasons and needs help at the position. 

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2022-nfl-mock-draft-jacksonville-jaguars-select-mississippi-state-t-charles-cross-at-no-1-overall-kayvon-thibodeaux-lands-in-atlanta

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

11. WASHINGTON COMMANDERS: LB DEVIN LLOYD, UTAH

This is another potential spot for a quarterback, but I’m just not ready to pull the trigger. Instead, Washington’s first pick nets one of the best all-around talents in the draft. Lloyd is an effective pass-rusher, coverage defender and run-stopper. Washington has been terrible at linebacker for almost five seasons and needs help at the position. 

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2022-nfl-mock-draft-jacksonville-jaguars-select-mississippi-state-t-charles-cross-at-no-1-overall-kayvon-thibodeaux-lands-in-atlanta

Is he a pure MLB? 

37 minutes ago, RWJ said:

It will be interesting to see which Pro Day Turner and RR attend.  

Isn't Hurney or Mayhew the guys who have a track record finding QB's with "it" factor or whatever?  Stafford and Newton are/were pretty good and have pulled wins out of nowhere before.

I think this just means every NFL team is going to have to use a Top 30 facility visit and bring in each of the QB's.  Normally teams do that for possible trouble makers to assess if they'll be a problem for the locker room or not.

4 hours ago, The Rook said:

Hamilton, Lloyd (and maybe Stingley) is the player list I would like to select from with their first pick.

:229:The Rook

This is my preference for 11 as well. If somehow Hamilton is there, you don't pass him up. Lloyd should be there and he should be the pick.

Ignore the panic for a QB and be objective. This isn't a draft class where there will be a lot of QBs taken early. This is a draft with overwhelming defensive talent at the top. We can still get our QB after pick 11.

If you need to trade up, our 2nd round pick plus next year's 2nd could get us up around 24-32 range. One of Howell, Corral, or Willis will be there- with Pickett, Strong, and Ridder also possible backup options.

We are at the stage in the build the football people behind the scenes need to ignore the clamoring of the few remaining fans. Rivera's job should not hang on one decision going the fans way.

Use that 2nd round pick to get whichever QB falls in a weak QB class. Use that first pick to get a game changer. I agree with SIP that Lloyd is on Parsons level when I watch his film. I was one of the first to hype Parsons before. I knew Davis would take time to develop and annoy our inpatient fans, but he will shine once he's next to the right MLB. Lloyd is the top tier Linebacker who erases the memory of Bostic and stabilizes the build we've already invested years into.

Nearly guaranteed at this point one of the top 6 QBs falls within range of our 2nd pick. Why continue to be THAT team who panics and overpays when we can be the team who plays the board smart selecting BPA and getting value?

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 3

Anyone know if Lloyd was hurt during this game?  Or if he played much better as the season went on?  Not what I want to see out of a potential #11 pick in the draft.  He looks ok, but not top half 1st round Mike LB material.  Cause those guys are usually putting out dominant film.  Willis, Kuechly, etc.

5 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Anyone know if Lloyd was hurt during this game?  Or if he played much better as the season went on?  Not what I want to see out of a potential #11 pick in the draft.  He looks ok, but not top half 1st round Mike LB material.  Cause those guys are usually putting out dominant film.  Willis, Kuechly, etc.

Watch how in pass coverage Lloyd quickly snaps his head around and finds the nearest receiver. We have a grand total of 0 LBs who do this in a pass happy league. Lloyd's upside is his coverage, but he is still a high motor player who gets in on every tackle in the run game. He was in on 13 tackles this game. 

• Like 1

I could also be talked into Nakobe Dean at 11. Less size than Lloyd but actually more physical. Same energy and much of the same versatility as a Blitzer. Lloyd has the slight advantage in coverage while Dean has the slight advantage in run support. Both legit MLBs. It felt like offenses quick passing attacks went at our LBs like 90% of the time last year. Our fans are calling our DL busts because Bostic and Holcomb can't locate a curl or crossing route in their zone or man. We need a new starting MLB and hopefully make Holcomb a reserve with a new SLB this draft(Muma?).

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

Watch how in pass coverage Lloyd quickly snaps his head around and finds the nearest receiver. We have a grand total of 0 LBs who do this in a pass happy league. Lloyd's upside is his coverage, but he is still a high motor player who gets in on every tackle in the run game. He was in on 13 tackles this game. 

Looked a lot like Jamins film last year

3 hours ago, mhd24 said:

I'm not trading 11 for Ryan.  He's not worth that! (especially considering we could get a non-QB stud like Lloyd, Stingley, Wilson, London).  Ryan's age & contract makes his value a 3rd IMO.  Atlanta might win that division by default.  

If Atlanta insisted on 11, I'd offer 11 for Ryan+Atlanta's 2nd+Atlanta's 3rd. 

Well I would certainly take that deal too, I'm just saying I would probably go as high as 11 for him.  Keep in mind that his salary would actually be pretty cheap because Atlanta is the one who would have to pay the vast majority of it.  I think they get hit with like 40 million of the salary next season if they trade him before June 1, which is what they'd have to do if they want draft pick compensation.  If they wait until after June 1st, they're probably going to miss out on the QBs in this draft class and obviously we aren't going to offer as much draft pick compensation if we have to pay most of his salary. 

But that timeline isn't actually that bad for us.  Imagine we punt on QB in the first round of this draft, get Devin Lloyd and someone like Strong or Ridder in the second, and trade for Matt Ryan in June.  I kind of like that outcome a lot.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Isn't Hurney or Mayhew the guys who have a track record finding QB's with "it" factor or whatever?  Stafford and Newton are/were pretty good and have pulled wins out of nowhere before.

I think this just means every NFL team is going to have to use a Top 30 facility visit and bring in each of the QB's.  Normally teams do that for possible trouble makers to assess if they'll be a problem for the locker room or not.

Definitely about Mayhew/Stafford and Hurney/Newton.  Didn't cross my mind.  It will be interesting none the less to see where Turner their OC shows up to see at whoever's Pro Day and RR too.  

2 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Well I would certainly take that deal too, I'm just saying I would probably go as high as 11 for him.  Keep in mind that his salary would actually be pretty cheap because Atlanta is the one who would have to pay the vast majority of it.  I think they get hit with like 40 million of the salary next season if they trade him before June 1, which is what they'd have to do if they want draft pick compensation.  If they wait until after June 1st, they're probably going to miss out on the QBs in this draft class and obviously we aren't going to offer as much draft pick compensation if we have to pay most of his salary. 

But that timeline isn't actually that bad for us.  Imagine we punt on QB in the first round of this draft, get Devin Lloyd and someone like Strong or Ridder in the second, and trade for Matt Ryan in June.  I kind of like that outcome a lot.

Ryan’s been sort of a wildcard for me given where we find ourselves.  It makes a lot more sense for him to be traded than Rodgers/Wilson, IMO.

Why would Atlanta trade him?  They’d clear his salary off the books by tearing off the bandaid giving them a much better cap situation next year (and beyond).  They have 8 to go after a qb or they take a loss this year and, if need be, use the gained draft assets to make sure they get their guy next year.  Or maybe they take a guy in the 2nd and try again next year (as some have suggested we do).  If they trade Ryan, they might as well lean into the rebuild and let high priced guys walk (comp picks?) or trade some guys.  Basically fix their cap and accrue more draft picks.  They’re going to have a tough time retooling their squad to make a run with Ryan given their cap issues, so starting over is the smart move, IMO.

Why would we go after Ryan?  I’m honestly not certain whether he looked worse this year, whether he was let down by his supporting cast etc., but for us, he’s a big name qb that can draw some (fan) interest, he obviously fits the vet RR seems to want, he’d be cheaper than the other big name guys, and his salary would be very reasonable.  Yes, he’s getting up there (and has probably already started trending downward, but he buys the organization time to try to land “their” guy, and gives the team a good shot at making the playoffs and even competing for the division.

Why won’t it happen?  I think Atlanta will feel it needs major compensation to make the move as they’re losing a beloved qb, paying a lot of money for the privilege, and likely don’t see a good replacement in the draft.  Given his age, any team that trades for him (ie offers an acceptable return) is probably going to look foolish, because I think Atlanta will want a 1st and more - a talented cheap player, a conditional pick like Philly got from Indy (end result of 2 1st round picks+), etc.

Dangit!  I’ve been trying to keep the qb talk in the proper thread… oh well, haha.

Edited by skinny21

8 hours ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

I may be the only one but I still have Chad Muma over Dean and Lloyd. Senior bowl 9 tackles was just one more check off the boxes. I think the Combine will finally put him in first round discussion. 

Hes definitely not a 1rst rd pick. He'd probably be a 3rd if Logan Wilson wasn't so good. That helps move him up into early 2nd round. 

I'd be more than happy to draft Muma.

It's basically QB and Muma 1 2 or Lloyd QB 1 2 for me. 

9 hours ago, mistertim said:

I'd absolutely take Lloyd at 11.

If we get Russell Wilson via trade. But that would include this years pick so that wouldn't happen.

Who would our QB be then? Heinicke? Trubisky? Jimmy G?

Trubisky and Ridder would be my guess.

4 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

The idea of Mitch Trubisky as our starting QB just gives me a migraine.

I dont care at all honestly. We obviously need to hit on a rookie QB eventually, but I think Trubisky could be our Jimmy G until we find him. Our team is good right now and were close to the playoffs before Heinicke finally melted down completely. 

And this isn't the QB thread. I should have just said average NFL QB FA, which screams Trubisky. 

Better than people talking about trading for 64 year old Matt Ryan.

• Like 1