Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

Me too. I am the one that first brought him up in this thread months ago. He has everything you want from a starting QB. Except hand size. 

And Elite arm strength. And elite placement. And having more than one year of production. 

I like Pickett,  but he doesn’t have elite tools. He has very good mobility and good size and he is accurate, but not Joe Burrow accurate. I feel like there are usually prospects of his ilk available. Solid with significant question marks.

• Like 1

Desmond Ridder is the smart move. 

We can get him either by trading back from 11 to later in the first round or by keeping 11, going bpa, then trading up in the 2nd round.

He  has just as much of a chance at becoming a quality starter as anybody else in this draft and he can be had at a lower cost.

I still believe the key to next season is acquiring a second tier free agent qb that performs better than Heinicke. That would allow our rookie qb to develop without being thrown to the wolves.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Desmond Ridder is the smart move. 

We can get him either by trading back from 11 to later in the first round or by keeping 11, going bpa, then trading up in the 2nd round.

He  has just as much of a chance at becoming a quality starter as anybody else in this draft and he can be had at a lower cost.

I still believe the key to next season is acquiring a second tier free agent qb that performs better than Heinicke. That allows our rookie qb to develop without being thrown to the wolves.

Mariotta would be a good choice, because he loves getting injured, so the rookie would still play and if it was Ridder, we'd be able to say he just wasn't ready yet and have hope another year or two.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Mariotta would be a good choice, because he loves getting injured, so the rookie would still play and if it was Ridder, we'd be able to say he just wasn't ready yet and have hope another year or two.

Calk me crazy but I am one of the very few posters that would be willing to roll the dice on either Mariotta OR...(ducks for cover) Trubiskey as a one to two year placeholder qb.

If things break right they could conceivably get us to the second round of the playoffs  and buy enough time for our 2022 rookie qb to get acclimated to the pro game.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

If you watch Picketts 6-6 it was not particularly impressive. Terrible coverage on a rb out of the flat for a TD, didn’t push the ball. 
I didn’t come away from that impressed with him.

im still 

1a Corral, 1b Howell - then Willis because of his athleticism, but floor is scary. 
don’t really want any other QBs in this draft 

Guy has a perfect opening drive that ends in a TD. And nothing to be impressed about? OK. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Calk me crazy but I am one of the very few posters that would be willing to roll the dice on either Mariotta OR...(ducks for cover) Trubiskey as a one to two year placeholder qb.

If things break right they could conceivably get us to the second round of the playoffs  and buy enough time for our 2022 rookie qb to get acclimated to the pro game.

I think that's the route that I'd take. I'd punt this offseason and try and address everything else while attempting to load up for next years draft.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Guy has a perfect opening drive that ends in a TD. And nothing to be impressed about? OK. 

The plays themselves weren't anything impressive. 5 short passes/dumpoffs and 1 intermediate pass where Christian Watson bailed him out with a great catch on a low throw.

It certainly wasn't a bad showing, but there wasn't anything on that drive that made me raise my eyebrows or anything. It was relatively solid, if not overly safe, QB play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

We have a good OL.  Why waste a year of development on a one-year placeholder just to lose in rd2?

And end up with a much worse draft pick?  

Edited by Dark Acre

14 minutes ago, Dark Acre said:

We have a good OL.  Why waste a year of development on a one-year placeholder just to lose in rd2?

What better option is realistically available to us?

No rookie in this draft on his own is likely to even get us to the playoffs in year one.

No tier 1qb, Rodgers, Russel Wilson,  or even Deshawn Watson, is willingly coming to this team via trade or free agency.

There may be a VERY outside chance that tier 1a qb Derrick Carr might be an option but there will be competition from teams that are better positioned with draft capital and better perceived situations/reputations than Snyder's Commanders.

So the only way we could possibly get Carr would be to first outbid other teams with our pick/player package and then give him an outrageous contract offer that no one else will match. That is unpalatable to my taste.

The best chance we have to make the playoffs is with a tier two qb (Mariotta, Trubiskey, et al) backed up by Heinicke and a yet to be determined rookie.

I just don't see that getting us past the second round.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

The plays themselves weren't anything impressive. 5 short passes/dumpoffs and 1 intermediate pass where Christian Watson bailed him out with a great catch on a low throw.

It certainly wasn't a bad showing, but there wasn't anything on that drive that made me raise my eyebrows or anything. It was relatively solid, if not overly safe, QB play.

Exactly what I was saying, I didn’t see a future great QB because of those throws.  

in fact it was an underwhelming day from all the QBs, Corrall probably benefited the most by not playing!

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/02/the-doctor-is-in-what-to-make-of-carson-strongs-knee-issue/

Some detailed info about Strong's knee and an additional rumor.

Everyone has their own level of risk they're comfortable with.  For me, this doesn't seem like something you can "assess and clear", it's an ongoing situation that could worsen and needs more time than one offseason to see how it's functioning.  Does he need repeated knee drainings throughout the 2022 season?  Does the lack of blood flow in his knee crop up again?  Are there other structural issues at play?

Some people might be comfortable with this.  I'm not.  I wonder if and how many teams have removed him from their draft board.

• Thanks 1

You can't keep punting away years by not having a QB. Rivera has wasted the first two years of his tenure. By year three you should be in full fledged ready to win mode. If you don't have a QB for at least the forseeable future(so like the next 3-5 years) locked in by now then that's a gotsta go situation.

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

It really wasn't all that impressive...He was lucky on one of the bigger completions where the d-back fell down and left the WR wide open. Pickett found him but grossly under threw him and the WR had to make a great sliding catch. All of the other throws were short passes including a dump to the RB who ran it in from about 18 yards out. To his credit Pickett found the open guys but he didn't do anything very special. 

24 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

You can't keep punting away years by not having a QB. Rivera has wasted the first two years of his tenure. By year three you should be in full fledged ready to win mode. If you don't have a QB for at least the forseeable future(so like the next 3-5 years) locked in by now then that's a gotsta go situation.

Would you be cool with this plan:

Sign Trubisky

draft a QB in the 2nd round or trade into the 1st round like we did to get Montez after drafting Haskins? 

QB room would be Trubisky, Heinicke, rookie (probably Howell, Ridder or maybe even Pickett?)

- Take a playmaker on either side of the ball with pick #11 or trade back....get your rookie QB with your 2nd pick.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Would you be cool with this plan:

Sign Trubisky

draft a QB in the 2nd round or trade into the 1st round like we did to get Montez after drafting Haskins? 

QB room would be Trubisky, Heinicke, rookie (probably Howell, Ridder or maybe even Pickett?)

- Take a playmaker on either side of the ball with pick #11 or trade back....get your rookie QB with your 2nd pick.

You still haven't sufficiently explained your odd aversion to drafting a QB with our top pick. You seem obsessed with either taking one in the 2nd or trading back into the 1st. Why try to get cute with it? Find the guy you really want and either take him at 11 or move up to get him. 

We need to stop ****footing around and take a QB high (one that our coaches actually want this time).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

I've been reading lately about the NFL using a lottery for the draft. It works well for the NBA and NHL. I think it would be ideal for the NFL and prevent teams from tanking for higher draft choices. I really hope the NFL considers this.

I don't like it but understand what you're saying about the tanking situation.  

Just watch Pickett read the field.  Looks of his 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th options at times!  Dude is a leader.  By the way this YT video was done by HTTR Productions a month ago. LOL Watch his mobility and his power and precision on his throws.  Glove or no glove, he's the real deal, to me anyway.  Thought and comments welcomed.  

9 hours ago, DWinzit said:

So am I correct you are still on Willis, then Pickett , followed be Corral/Howell/Strong/Ridder? 

I am still in the Corral and Howell at the top with WIllis right behind.

I must admit, the QB that has moved up my board at the end of the season has been WIllis, with his play in the bowl game and yesterday. I feel Howell is the safest to be able to start and start by mid 2022. I am convinced any of the others can. I had high hopes Pickett or Strong would blow me away yesterday, that definitely didn't occur.

Do you think if Washington did grab Willis, they could at least incorporate him games early? I have wondered why the 49ers didn't do that a little with Lance in their payoff run. 

Yeah, my order of preference is 1 Willis, 2 Picket, 3 Corral, 4 Howell but I'm between Ridder and Strong for QB 5.  I like them both and would be very satisfied with either at 42.

If you're looking for safety, Pickett is the best bet.  He'll start as a rookie I think, whereas Howell has a big scheme and playing style transition to make to the next level.  I actually think his offense is the least translatable of any of the top six QBs, but Corral's is close and Howell is more seasoned and more accurate than him.  Pickett is probably going to hit the ground running compared to the other prospects, because he's the oldest and most experienced and pro-ready and he's coming from an Air-Raid system with more complicated passing progressions and five man protections.  His OC Mark Whipple had NFL experience coaching QBs so he's presumably going to be well prepared for the NFL.

If we take Willis at 11, I think he definitely plays his rookie year because he will be, by far, the most talented QB on the team.  But we're going to have to reduce the passing offense for him, and we're going to have to lean on the run.  But he would also let us meaningfully expand our run game because he is a true 6th blocker and run threat and we could have a beast of a run game from shotgun and two back personnel groups.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Yeah, my order of preference is 1 Willis, 2 Picket, 3 Corral, 4 Howell but I'm between Ridder and Strong for QB 5.  I like them both and would be very satisfied with either at 42.

If you're looking for safety, Pickett is the best bet.  He'll start as a rookie I think, whereas Howell has a big scheme and playing style transition to make to the next level.  I actually think his offense is the least translatable of any of the top six QBs, but Corral's is close and Howell is more seasoned and more accurate than him.  Pickett is probably going to hit the ground running compared to the other prospects, because he's the oldest and most experienced and pro-ready and he's coming from an Air-Raid system with more complicated passing progressions and five man protections.  His OC Mark Whipple had NFL experience coaching QBs so he's presumably going to be well prepared for the NFL.

If we take Willis at 11, I think he definitely plays his rookie year because he will be, by far, the most talented QB on the team.  But we're going to have to reduce the passing offense for him, and we're going to have to lean on the run.  But he would also let us meaningfully expand our run game because he is a true 6th blocker and run threat and we could have a beast of a run game from shotgun and two back personnel groups.

I am on board with Strong and Ridder being worthy at 42. If they really need one of those guys as the second round approaches, I would think they would need to move up to insure they do get the one they want. 

So frustrating to me that none of these guys made a big jump forward this week, but WIllis is my attention. While I understand what you are saying regarding Pickett, I still can't seem to stand behind him. I am still on Corral, Howell , Willis at the top with Pickett in the 4 hole. I still think Howell's game can translate quickly 

26 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

You don't think the RO one read and run offense that Willis mostly ran is not very translatable? 

IMO if Willis can come in and have the passing offense super simplified for him enough to where he can start and use his legs a fair amount to help him initially, then I don't see why guys like Howell and Corral couldn't either. Both of them had plenty of running yards as well. Neither is as fast or shifty as Willis but they're quite capable and athletic.

14 hours ago, mistertim said:

You don't think the RO one read and run offense that Willis mostly ran is not very translatable? 

IMO if Willis can come in and have the passing offense super simplified for him enough to where he can start and use his legs a fair amount to help him initially, then I don't see why guys like Howell and Corral couldn't either. Both of them had plenty of running yards as well. Neither is as fast or shifty as Willis but they're quite capable and athletic.

I think the major schematic difference between what Sam Howell ran at UNC and what Willis ran at Liberty is that UNC ran way more short passes.  I don't think he read the field any better than Willis did this year.  And I also don't think Sam Howell's athleticism is on the same planet as Willis's.  My guess is he's got 4.7 speed at best, whereas Willis looks like low 4.4s.  Howell is not going to be outrunning any NFL linebackers and if he tries to pick his way through the middle of the field 15 times a game in the NFL like he did this past season, he's going to die.  Same for Corral, who looks a lot quicker than Howell, but he is skinny.

Willis is a true extra blocker run threat.  He has the build and speed to run 10-15 times a game early in his career, and he's got the arm to keep the whole field open no matter where he scrambles or drifts, and that changes your play design too.  Buys you time with sub-par pass protectors or vertical threat receivers.  His talents give you a lot of rope and keep the chains moving amid mistakes.  I do not think Howell gives you that.  He needs to just sit as a rookie so he can come in later and hit the ground running.  Corral probably does too, with the detriment that he is even less experienced than Howell is, and his body probably isn't ready for NFL reps yet.

• Like 3

I was very impressed with just how elusive Willis was. He has the tools, but I'm curious and apprehensive about his transition to the pro game. I also want to watch some of his 3-pick games this past year. 

Also, I know it's one throw, but wow, that duck in the Senior Bowl at the end of the 1st Q? Yeesh. One of the worst throws I've ever seen.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yo, what the hell is this?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10026112-mmqb-multiple-nfl-evaluators-say-theres-not-a-single-starting-qb-in-2022-nfl-draft

Teams looking for a quarterback in the 2022 NFL draft might not be excited by the scouting reports after Saturday's Senior Bowl.

"A couple of veteran NFL evaluators told me late in the week that they don't believe there's a single NFL starter in this year's quarterback class," Albert Breer of MMQB reported. "Not everyone was that harsh, but it was unanimous that these quarterbacks aren't close to last year's—and most agreed that all five of last year's first-round signal-callers would've been the top guy at the position in the 2022 draft."

Someone please calm me down, I don't like the sound of this one bit 😶