Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

8 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Yo, what the hell is this?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10026112-mmqb-multiple-nfl-evaluators-say-theres-not-a-single-starting-qb-in-2022-nfl-draft

Someone please calm me down, I don't like the sound of this one bit 😶

A fun exercise is to rank draft prospects in a "class cycle". So include four year spans...

Can do 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022... Can do 2020-23 (though this is harder for most of us as most of us haven't watched enough to get a real feel)

So in ranking the QB prospects from 2019-2022 (that got drafted except for this year) you have these QBs.

image.png.e0eaf15c21a031754f6c7b1ec2af04e9.png

Where would I rank this year's crop?

Interesting...

1) Murray

2) Burrow

3) Lawrence

4) Fields

5) Tu'a

6) Herbert

7) Lance

8 ) Wilson

9) Howell

10) Mac

Trying to use nothing post drafting in these evaluations.

I like Howell more as a passer than Mac Jones. Would have said that last year, too. But I think I would have debated swapping them based on Jones' big game resume, albeit a smaller sample size.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10026112-mmqb-multiple-nfl-evaluators-say-theres-not-a-single-starting-qb-in-2022-nfl-draft

This has been pretty widely agreed on. This draft sucks for QBs. Willis is the only one with real starter potential and that's pretty iffy too.

This is not the draft to grab a rookie QB and that option really shouldn't be on the table.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

This has been pretty widely agreed on. This draft sucks for QBs. Willis is the only one with real starter potential and that's pretty iffy too.

This is not the draft to grab a rookie QB and that option really shouldn't be on the table.

But ... but ... if they don't do everything they can to draft a franchise QB (whoever that is) this year, this team will NEVER (fill-in-the-blank).

;)

:229:The Rook

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, The Rook said:

But ... but ... if they don't do everything they can to draft a franchise QB (whoever that is) this year, this team will NEVER (fill-in-the-blank).

;)

🙄

It stems back from Ron's first year. We should have gone QB every year and now we're in a situation where it might be Trubisky and Heinicke. That's more realistic than it being Rodgers.

You'll have to excuse those of us who don't want to watch this movie again.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

39 minutes ago, KDawg said:

🙄

It stems back from Ron's first year. We should have gone QB every year and now we're in a situation where it might be Trubisky and Heinicke. That's more realistic than it being Rodgers.

Yeah, honestly I think Ron kind of got himself into this situation by continuing to punt on QB thus far. To be fair though, Haskins was in his 2nd year and Ron didn't really know what he had in him, especially with all the COVID stuff. So jettisoning Haskins and drafting another QB at #2 probably wasn't really on the menu at that point unless there was a can't miss sort of prospect available, and there wasn't. (IIRC there were reports that they definitely would have taken Burrow if the Bengals for some reason went in a different direction.)

Obviously in retrospect we know that Haskins was a bum and we should have drafted Herbert. But Herbert wasn't considered at all as a can't miss prospect and hindsight is always 20/20. But in the 2021 draft it sounds like we could have moved up for Fields but Ron didn't like the price. I think that was a pretty big mistake.

Now he's in a position where if he punts again on it his job may be in jeopardy. Barring something absolutely unprecedented, like signing Trubisky and he suddenly turns into an elite QB, it means that we'd be going into 2023 without a QB and that's not a good situation in the year before last of a contract for a HC.

I'm not saying I would want to get rid of Ron, but we all know that Dan isn't exactly the most reasonable or patient person. Shanny did get a QB and still only got 4 years. Gruden got 6 but he had 2 young QBs in Griffin and Cousins.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

There are QB's in this draft that can develope into good starters... Scheme and coaching combined with patience.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

Yeah, honestly I think Ron kind of got himself into this situation by continuing to punt on QB thus far.

It all stems from a head coaches desire to win every single game. The lack of forward thinking will do him and us in. A Gm led organization probably sells off and tries to rebuild some. 

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Gruden got 6 but he had 2 young QBs in Griffin and Cousins.

I dont think we can consider Gruden as a factor IMO. It was Bruce running the show. 

• Like 2

The Panthers met with Pickett in Mobile, Alabama, the site of Saturday’s Senior Bowl (2:30 p.m. ET, NFL Network), and plan to meet with him again before Day 1 of the draft on April 28, in which they have the No. 6 pick. While they also have a big need at left tackle, Pickett can’t be ruled out because Carolina needs a franchise quarterback, even if that means reaching.

https://www.espn.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/36070/will-matt-rhule-and-kenny-picketts-history-lead-to-carolina-panthers-taking-the-qb-in-2022-nfl-draft

5 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

This is killing me because I'm not convinced we can trade for a quality starter and it sounds like Ron is already waving the white flag in even trying to develop someone in this draft.  We are gonna punt again, in which case I wish we would take a risk on a rookie on off chance it might work versus running with some like Trubisky.

There's no way we should start a scrub at QB because we don't like this draft, Herbert and Mahomes were not predicted to be elite QBs and that happened fast anyway.

4 hours ago, The Rook said:

;)

If not this year, at some point we have to.  Even if by some miracle we get someone like Russell Wilson, he'll be 34 in November, this conversation will right back up real fast.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

🙄

Gibbs deserves the God-like status that he has even for his return for having the balls to take one look at Ramsey and doing everything he could to find someone better day one jus two years after Ramsey was drafted in the first round. 

Rivera shoulda looked at Haskins and immediately tried to replace him as well, we have every right to say that because he was wrong on Haskins and cut him less then a year after being hired as HC.

We are where we are today because of punting on drafting a QB what is looking like a third year in a row.  What kinda rebuild doesn't draft a QB in the first round when there isn't a franchise QB on the roster?  A half-assed win now rebuild, that we've seen fail over and over again under Snyder.  I have seen this before and I also know how it ends.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

Gibbs deserves the God-like status that he has even for his return for having the balls to take one look at Ramsey and doing everything he could to find someone better day one jus two years after Ramsey was drafted in the first round. 

Rivera shoulda looked at Haskins and immediately tried to replace him as well, we have every right to say that because he was wrong on Haskins and cut him less then a year after being hired as HC.

We are where are because of punting on drafting a QB what is looking like a third year in a row.  What kinda rebuild doesn't draft a QB in the first round when there isn't a franchise QB on the roster?  A half-assed win now rebuild, that we've seen fail over and over again under Snyder.  I have seen this before and I also know how it ends.

Hey man, there’s really good players at other positions that are going to get us to the promised land. It’s worked so far for us.

We’ll get a QB next year. Or the year after. Or maybe the year after that. Well, we’ll draft one sometime in the 2000s, at least.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Hey man, there’s really good players at other positions that are going to get us to the promised land. It’s worked so far for us.

We’ll get a QB next year. Or the year after. Or maybe the year after that. Well, we’ll draft one sometime in the 2000s, at least.

I'm gonna loss this bet I have with my dad on if it's a rookie or veteran starting week 1 and loser has to buy two tickets to the first home game.

I can see us both being pissed with someone like Trubisky starting, this is such horse****

😑

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

We are where we are today because of punting on drafting a QB what is looking like a third year in a row.  What kinda rebuild doesn't draft a QB in the first round when there isn't a franchise QB on the roster?  A half-assed win now rebuild, that we've seen fail over and over again under Snyder.  I have seen this before and I also know how it ends.

This. Even if it would have been taking chances on a mid rounder in each draft. There is no excuse for completely ignoring QB in the draft in his first 2 seasons as HC. Hell there is no excuses for this entire organization only drafting 2 since the 2012 draft. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

This. Even if it would have been taking chances on a mid rounder in each draft. There is no excuse for completely ignoring QB in the draft in his first 2 seasons as HC. Hell there is no excuses for this entire organization only drafting 2 since the 2012 draft. 

Ron admitted after the season that he regretted not making QB a competition that summer rather than handing the job to Haskins. 

Just now, kingdaddy said:

Ron admitted after the season that he regretted not making QB a competition that summer rather than handing the job to Haskins. 

Yup. And then we rolled with Fitzpatrick and Heinicke.

Both of which I was fine with. But we could have traded up in the draft, drafted a mid round rookie (if he misses, who cares?). Check swinged on an offer for Stafford. 

It was like he didn’t learn much.

He gets some leniency due to the injury of course. But it’s like he’s waiting for the right opportunity… which I’m honestly okay with… except for the fact that coaches don’t get an eternity to wait.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Both of which I was fine with. But we could have traded up in the draft, drafted a mid round rookie (if he misses, who cares?). Check swinged on an offer for Stafford. 

He gets some leniency due to the injury of course. But it’s like he’s waiting for the right opportunity… which I’m honestly okay with… except for the fact that coaches don’t get an eternity to wait.

Exactly, KDawg.

12 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Which as long as he's headcoach isnt going to happen cause we will continue to draft in the middle of the draft.  

QB is THE priority this year whether it be a real deal vet or bridge and drafting a QB in RD1.  JMO.  RR knows that.

I just watched Devin Lloyd's game versus USC.  Wow, that dude is the total package.  He comes at you like a brick when he tackles.  I know he misses some tackles in space, gets a bit low at times, but overall he's a force as a downhll tackler.  Can shed well.  Rush the passer.  He can backpeddle and cover.  

But overall the thing that gets me is the oomph he plays with.  He's a different cat as a player as Parsons but he reminds me of Parsons as for how much energy he plays with. Nonstop motor.   Tone setter.

Screen Shot 2022-02-07 at 7.32.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-07 at 7.32.21 PM.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

18 hours ago, KDawg said:

Made an offer for Stafford, fairly aggressive offer. lol, I recall mentoning a first and third for Stafford on the QB thread and i mostly got attacked for it even from those who liked Stafford because they saw it as an overpay.   Based on reports, I don't think Stafford was coming here even if we upped our offer

According to Keim, he tried to trade up (assuming into the top 10) for Fields but that team wanted an arm and a leg.

He might have missed his chance but i can't fault him for not swinging.  they did swing.   But in retrospect maybe they needed to give up the arm and the leg that whatever team wanted for Fields.

Having said that, will see how this off season unfolds.  As we know its just starting, we got ways to go   

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I just watched Devin Lloyd's game versus USC.  Wow, that dude is the total package.  He comes at you like a brick when he tackles.  I know he misses some tackles in space, gets a bit low at times, but overall he's a force as a downhll tackler.  Can shed well.  Rush the passer.  He can backpeddle and cover.  

But overall the thing that gets me is the oomph he plays with.  He's a different cat as a player as Parsons but he reminds me of Parsons as for how much energy he plays with. Nonstop motor.   Tone setter.

Hamilton, Lloyd (and maybe Stingley) is the player list I would like to select from with their first pick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Made an offer for Stafford, fairly aggressive offer. lol, I recall mentoning a first and third for Stafford on the QB thread and i mostly got attacked for it even from those who liked Stafford because they saw it as an overpay.   Based on reports, I don't think Stafford was coming here even if we upped our offer

According to Keim, he tried to trade up (assuming into the top 10) for Fields but that team wanted an arm and a leg.

He might have missed his chance but i can't fault him for not swinging.  they did swing.   But in retrospect maybe they needed to give up the arm and the leg that whatever team wanted for Fields.

Having said that, will see how this off season unfolds.  As we know its just starting, we got ways to go   

What would be awful is giving up the same offer they didnt want to for a worse prospect or giving up the same/more to make a bigger move that might be his capital. 

Game wrecker like Parsons, but much more of a true stack linebacker whereas Parsons is a rush linebacker.  Lloyd will be able to handle the full range of coverage responsibilities thrown at him.  He came up in the game as a WR/DB and has rare passing game instincts and hands for the LB position.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Game wrecker like Parsons, but much more of a true stack linebacker whereas Parsons is a rush linebacker.  Lloyd will be able to handle the full range of coverage responsibilities thrown at him.  He came up in the game as a WR/DB and has rare passing game instincts and hands for the LB position.

Have a feeling he's going to Denver if they don't take a QB.

I recall mentoning a first and third for Stafford on the QB thread and i mostly got attacked for it even from those who liked Stafford because they saw it as an overpay.

That constituted an aggressive (and fair) offer to me too.

What the Rams ended up paying for Stafford was crazy.  But they are a desperate team trying to maximize the fleeting window of a defense with three HoFers on it and a rapidly aging WR core and OL, and they are trying to sell themselves and the sport itself to a new city and fill up an absurdly expensive new stadium.  Stafford is worth it to them since they don't have enough time to develop first rounders in their current competitive window, they have like two elite years left with all of their good players, virtually no one in the pipeline, and they will be competitively barren after this window closes.  The trade was a good fit for both teams and Stafford, and he formed a mind-meld with McVay and a special relationship with Kupp and it will end up being hunky dory if they win the SB this weekend, but that is not how it would have played out here.  Our core is younger and less built up and I seriously doubt Scott Turner was going to coax MVP level play out of Stafford if he'd ended up here instead.

I took the point of your post though, Stafford's Q-Rating was waaaaaaaaaay lower last offseason than it is right now, and it took some vision to see the potential of trading a ton of value for him.

I submit that I think the guy who most closely resembles that situation this offseason is Matt Ryan.  I seriously doubt Atlanta will trade him (and if they don't I think there is no ****ing way they pick one of these QBs at eight) because I believe they now (rightly) view their division as wide open.  They're the favorites to win it if they can get any kind of defense built for next season, and I think they'll use 8 to either get someone like Garrett Wilson or Evan Neal, or they'll use it on a badass defensive player who can be an impact player year one.  But if they got a wild hair up their butts and put Ryan on the block, I bet he could be had for far better deal than paying three firsts for Russell Wilson.  We started to debate this in the QB thread, and it made me realize that Ryan is super undervalued right now.  His Q-Rating is very low and his salary would be super cheap since the Falcons would have to eat so much of it.  Look at this hypothetical deal I saw from a Falcons fan website: https://www.sportstalkatl.com/falcons-ranking-five-potential-matt-ryan-trade-destinations-and-packages/

Washington has solid defensive pieces and weapons, and a good coach in Ron Rivera. Bringing back Brandon Scherff will be a top priority for them, so getting Ryan on a cheaper deal while also protecting him could be huge for them. With a new team name coming in February, maybe Washington pushes their chips in to get to the playoffs after falling just short in 2021.

Return: QB Taylor Heinicke, 2023 2nd Round Pick, & 2023 Conditional 3rd Round Pick

Holy ****, if that is all it would take to get him, you make that deal without hesitation.  I would trade 11 for Ryan, 42 is a no-brainer.  If we keep 11 and get Devin Lloyd and Matt Ryan, this team is a Superbowl contender next season.